It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does the United States Make Anything Anymore?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 04:46 AM
link   
The USA’s manufacturing base has been systematically dismantled and shipped overseas. Production of goods is the source of wealth, and we’ve actually given a tax incentive to companies to move production facilities out of the country. It started with Reagan and has gotten worse since.

Nothing accidental about any of this. The globalists plans are slowly and surely being implemented, and the USA being brought down to size is just a part of it. What made the USA an economic powerhouse in the 19th century is what will make China the next one, good cheap labor. It’s not happenstance that the China Olympics started on 8-8-8. Eight is symbolic of a new beginning.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:00 AM
link   
Im sorry fella this is the second post ive seen you place. They are just terrible
because they are more of a statement not a discussion. I hope you get a job soon because your post are not cutting it. I couldnt find much in the topics on
Mexican patients or Canadian patients in you tube. Making fundamentals fun!

[edit on 22-2-2009 by SpritualExtends]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:37 AM
link   
hey we're number one when it comes to producing debt!!!
child production seems to be going strong also.....I hear that we can no mass produce them, 8 at a time!!

sorry, but, well.......what can I say, we do seem to do a great job at some things...

yes, we still produce things, both me and my husband produce products, or in my husband's case, the machines and tools needed to produce the products...

production workers just aren't that valued by society anymore though, so well, even if we managed to kick the old dusty production lines into full gear, well, many of the machinists have moved on, and no one wanted to take their place, and that goes along with many of the other skilled trades that composed "production". what can I say, who wants to go through the hassle of learning a trade that has wages that are deminishing over time when one can become a player in an investment bank and be a millionaire by 30?
oh, well, it's like that though, that which you neglect often seems to fade away.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 07:50 AM
link   
We're really good at making weapons!

War is great for business!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:33 AM
link   
someone mentioned Intel chips
this is incorrect

I met with many product managers at Intel
they are not made in the US

it's almost all made in asia and they are planning to move all engineering to Asia as well

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 08:39 AM
link   
So if the Chinese or Japanese build in back doors to processors used in the military technology
being contracted to them by the DOD, all they have to do is execute a shut down
order and all our stuff grinds to a screeching halt. Brilliant!

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:00 AM
link   
How about software? Chances are your computer is running Microsoft Windows and Internet Explorer to view this which are american products. Google, Yahoo, Ebay, Myspace etc are all American. In addition to Intel, AMD, Nvidia and ATI are all American chip manufacturers.

Heavy machinery like Caterpillar & John Deere

Radios and comm & networking gear - Motorola, Qualcomm, Cisco etc

Entertainment - Hollywood anyone?

Another industry that got me thinking is pharmaceuticals because as far as I know a lot of the big companies are American; designed and produced. Medical and surgical equipment too, from medical imaging stuff like GE Cat scan & MRI machines to surgical robots and even mundane supplies.

Even the cheap junk mass produced in Chinese factories was probably designed in America and just produced there.

[edit on 22-2-2009 by warpboost]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
someone mentioned Intel chips
this is incorrect

I met with many product managers at Intel
they are not made in the US

it's almost all made in asia and they are planning to move all engineering to Asia as well

That's not entirely true.

Closing plant in the Philippines

Intel's new 3 Billion dollar Fab32 in Arizona

[edit on 22-2-2009 by warpboost]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Central Processors are usually made in the United States, but it's really international, some are made in Germany. Other chips are made in Taiwan by TSMC, other parts, like transistors, may come from Japan. Often packages in places such as China and Taiwan though... but make no mistake, it's not usually made in China, only slapped together... Which is one of the reasons China wants Taiwan so much...

As for building in back doors to processors.... lmao, NO. You can't just change things in processors like that. Years apon years of research and development go into these things, usually back in the States. Hell, it can even be months to solve 'errata' problems with processors... Any change in design will cause erratta... and then what... "Sorry, Intel, we just modified your chips now they error"...
Errata is always tested....

Also, Nvidia and ATi rely on TSMC usually, Taiwan to produce the chips, with PCB coming from places like Japan... AMD makes some of theirs in Germany.... All designed in USA though.

Also, yes, the USA produces a huge amount of high quality gear.... however... it simply imports more.....

As for Intel engineering moving to Asia.... LOL. I don't think so... there tech base would VANISH.

[edit on 22/2/2009 by C0bzz]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:40 AM
link   
If you put all the American rhetoric aside and use logic, this had to happen. How can you sell anything to other countries when they have no money. You can't be a good consumer with no money. America is a fully mature market, because we consume everything we are offered and had spare money and or credit to do so. But take a country like India, billions of people, that didn't have money. So we export our jobs there, now they have money. Then you start up what a looser they are if they don't spend that money on meaningless items. Ipods, cell phones, clothes, cars, basically do your best to be an American. So Americans slowly have lost all jobs because we are to good for basic jobs. Do you still mow your lawn, does your kid work in McD's after school, NO.

I know once you drink Crystal, going back to bud light will be hard. But i think we will be just fine, and maybe we can get back to basic things in life enjoying time with our families and friends, maybe have a garden and share food with your neighbor.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:43 AM
link   
As long as we count on Microsoft for cyber-security, we are unbelievably vulnerable.

All it takes is the wrong guy either knowingly or unknowingly infecting a critical system
with an infected thumb drive or via connection to a secured server after infection.

As long as we allow personal online use of business, government and military computers, the human error factor is most likely to enable attack.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
If you want an idea of how big the industrial make up of the US is. Check out the following link to the CIA World Fact Book. Yes, we still do a lot of manufacturing and are the largest manufacturers in the world.
www.cia.gov...

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Monteriano
If you want an idea of how big the industrial make up of the US is. Check out the following link to the CIA World Fact Book. Yes, we still do a lot of manufacturing and are the largest manufacturers in the world.
www.cia.gov...

the only thing you are largest manufacturers are of weapons ,

leading industrial power in the world, highly diversified and technologically advanced; petroleum, steel, motor vehicles, aerospace, telecommunications, chemicals, electronics, food processing, consumer goods, lumber, mining

this is what CIA 'fact(propaganda BS)' states , lets analyse

aeropace - nah , only military aerospace , civilian aerospace is not US dominance , as boeing has outsourced a lot of intermediate production processes , unlike airbus
motor vehicles,- american cars are crap ,
electronics-japanese/chinese rulz
steel-the largest steel company is european not american

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:21 AM
link   
nope. this is why I have "made in china" tattooed on the bottom of my foot lol

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 10:58 AM
link   
We don't make anything for the personal consumer. There is not one (one!) toaster made in America, except for $600 commercial models. I don't buy Chinese made products, so I go without toast. I'll spend more on an American product, but damned if there are any to buy. This Christmas, it took hours of research just to find lights that weren't made in China. None are American made anymore. I settled for lights from the Philippines. Aside from cars, we make very little "everyday" consumables.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:00 AM
link   
reply to post by ADVISOR

Easier said than done to buy American. Many Americans have no idea what is made in America and what isn't. Then we see a label that says Made in the USA, and buy the product. Later only to find out that most of the product was made in a foreign country.

Many Americans have given up on trying to find products actually made in the US. Even with US cars, aren't many of the parts still made in another country?

So many products are made overseas that if something happened to the US where we would have to become self sufficient in the future, we would not be able to do so easily. It would take a long time to get the manufacturing base back, and people trained.

Even then would it be possible? Many foreigners are buying our businesses and real estate over here. They will always have their hands in on American Business. Just recently I found out from my local news that Kennywood, a locally famous amusement park was bought from an investor from Spain. At least I know some of the older rides are historical landmarks, so they can't change them. Hopefully those rides will still be kept up to standard as if the original owners still owned the property.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:21 AM
link   
And now a word from the low tech community.Having just returned from an annual Blacksmith gathering,Upper Midwest Blacksmith Association(Thank you Bob!) I will report on the state of the Smiths.We're feeling the pinch.The ones who went big are hurting for enough business to keep employees.The smaller shops are generally doing better.We have had it rough,for instance back in the thirties when the infernal combustion engine cars and trucks and tractors almost did us in,then the wars took the anvils and swage blocks while apprentices were conscripted.Almost a lost Art,but some predicted this day would come when it became too expensive to maintain,and so motivated,persevered.So here we are.Think it's just about horse shoing and artsy fair stuff?Try buying Smith tools on ebay,they're expensive while other items have little to low bids.There used to be a Smith in every town and crossroads,usually more.No one can do more with less than a Blacksmith.Only we don't exactly see it as an us vs. them,in terms of country of origin.If China produced quality tools,I might buy.Only the steel is overheated for mass production efficiency and hence not durable,things a steel man would notice before purchase,like lack of sheen in the polish are give aways.We don't have near the apprentice program as say Great Britain to ensure proficiency,nor are we moribound in tradition and hence free to invent novel ways and forms.That is our strength in the US.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:36 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Sorry to say your wrong but Intel is moving back to the US.Intel: We’re spending $7 billion on U.S. plants

Intel said Tuesday it will spend $7 billion over the next two years to roll out 32 nanometer manufacturing plants in the U.S.

The chip giant said the investment will be made in existing manufacturing sites in Oregon, Arizona and New Mexico and create 7,000 jobs (statement).

CEO Paul Otellini said the effort is designed to bolster U.S. manufacturing and push 32 nm factories, which were described as “truly extraordinary.” Intel noted that 75 percent of its manufacturing operations are in the U.s. along with its R&D and capital investments.

start checking your facts if you don't mind.

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:44 AM
link   
reply to post by JBA2848

ok calm down buddy

Intel Invested Usd110m Additional Investment in China
www.istockanalyst.com...

After Intel having 6,000 employees in china, they will invest another 110m there.

Any other comments?

[edit on 22-2-2009 by ModernAcademia]

posted on Feb, 22 2009 @ 11:57 AM
link   
Actually the US is still a manufacturing force for the high end products.

FTA: The United States remains by far the world's leading manufacturer by value of goods produced. It hit a record $1.6 trillion in 2007 - nearly double the $811 billion of 1987. For every $1 of value produced in China factories, the United States generates $2.50.

www.iht.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join