It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange star in the sky

page: 12
<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join
share:

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 07:31 AM
link   
reply to post by Chadwickus

Mr. Wickus, at 2am (In Toronto, as discussed yesterday) Sirius is at 2 degrees ALT. So, most people would definitely not be able to see it. It still is the brightest object in the sky but a tree/house/etc would block its view.

I stayed up pretty late last night stargazing with my telescope, the "Red,Blue and White" star that I was talking about turned out to be Procyon. As it approached the horizon the colours went from a steady blue/white to a twinkly red/white and blue. My last look at it was 2:30 and it looked like a "police car with its sirens on".

I'm quite sure that the "Red/blue/white" light is not the star that everyone is talking about though.

Seems to me like its post after post after post describing Venus or Sirius.

On a side note, it was the clearest/calmest night so far this year and the sky looked unreal. I was able to see the misty white tulip of M42 (Orions nebula) and I looked at Saturn for the first time at 175X without it being a blurred out mess. I could see 1 of its moons to the lower left (right due to reflector mirror) and could distinguish orangey, white coloured detail on the surface of the planet. I missed out on Venus because I was too busy telling people "YOURE LOOKING AT VENUS" to catch it before it chased the sun below the horizon.

All in all, best experience with my telescope so far (the rum helped a bit too).

Peace

PS. Any guys with scopes have any other favourite objects to look at in the sky?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 07:38 AM
link   
reply to post by TheRealDonPedros

Sounds like you had a good night Mr Pedros

It's hard to picture what the Northern Hemisphere would look like, Stellarium etc only can show so much.

Keep up the good work!

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 07:46 AM
link   
Regardless of it’s nature – a planet, comet, dwarf star – it wasn’t so bright before. Now it becomes brighter every month and catches our eyes. Many prophecies speak of it… Another sign of the End Times?

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 07:55 AM
link   
reply to post by twilightzone

Honestly.. Head over to wikipedia, you would not be the first to mistake VENUS for something more malign than it really is.

Every culture on the planet has been formulating a deep mythology around this planet for thousands of years.

You guys that are "yammering" about MAITREYA and whatnot, would probably be really interested in the esoteric aspects of Venus. It is a solar representative of Lucifer, its orbit when viewed from Earth makes a pentagram and its called the fallen angel because it never behaves like the other bright lights in the "heavens". It's forever chained to the sun following it around season after season (as Phage said, Morning Star, then Evening Star).

You don't need to get all new-agey with our sky, Maitreya doesn't hold a candle to the awesome stories our ancestors intertwined around the stars.

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:05 AM
link   
i have been watching this star for weeks and a lot of my friends have mentioned it. It just stands out as being very bright. The other ATS thread The Great Cross and End of Time could provide an explanation combined with Dr Paul Violettes Theory. Makes you wonder if nothing else.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:14 AM
link   
"The Daily Mail (London, England)
Bright Venus mistaken for the Star of Bethlehem.
From: The Daily Mail (London, England) | Date: December 22, 2008 |

Byline: Lynne Kelleher

STAR gazers are mistaking the startlingly bright love planet Venus for a festive return of the Star of Bethlehem.

Astronomy Ireland has been flooded with calls enquiring about the big, bright planet blazing in the southern sky at sunset each day.

But the chairman of Astronomy Ireland David Moore said it is just a particularly bright Venus appearing in the evening sky.

He said: People are asking if the same star that guided the Three Wise Men to Bethlehem has returned.

It is in fact, the planet Venus, which will rise higher and higher ... "

---------------------------------------------------------------

You're not alone confusing Venus with something other than what it is....A really bright benign light in the sky.

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 08:26 AM
link   
well lets think about this folks, i know this star very well have seen it for the last year easily, first it appeared during daylight, i live in the south UK for reference, but at times the only way i could sum up the brightness of it would be to call it a hole in the sky wen viewd at night, and as far as pics go i have quite a few i will upload them asap all were taken with my cameraphone which intrigues me even further because at only 2megapixel i shudnt be able to photograph it were it a regular planet or star, somethings fishy here or it wouldnt be so talked about, and as far as these professional astronomers etc go we all know NASA has been lyin to the masses for half a century, why would they start tellin truth now when they almost have us where they want, theres a reason were all on ATS right now and thats simply because there is more to the truth than being told the answers, pics will be on soon, once i know how to upload the damn things, this site isnt the best for bein simple my god, scratch that, im not allowed to upload anythin, not enuf posts, sorry all, thank ATS
smoke out

[edit on 14-2-2009 by THEsmokefrog]

[edit on 14-2-2009 by THEsmokefrog]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:33 AM
link   

"It's hard to picture what the Northern Hemisphere would look like, Stellarium etc only can show so much. "

--------------------------

I was in New Zealand about 10 years ago during the summer and let me tell you, your sky just crushes the Northern Sky. The milky way looks awesome, we've got nothing like that here.

The awesome-ness may have been due to the fact I was in the middle of no-where (Timaru) so there was absolutely no light pollution.

I'm envious of your sky, it was a beauty.

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:51 AM
link   
See, now im confused again?! Sirius or Venus??? It cant be both.

And there certainly isnt two of these objects in the sky..

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:54 AM
link   
I notice a star beside the moon some time back, never noticed that before. Now it's clear in the UK sky at night, very bright, more so than Venus which I've been seeing for years in the early morning mostly.

This does appear to be new in the sky. I noticed it independently before noticing any chatter on the web about it, so it's not just that I now know it's there.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 09:56 AM
link   
Damn! I live in Newcastle, England and i've been seeing this thing since about the start of January and i was like "whats that thing? its too bright to be a star" but everyone just goes "oh its just a star, a bright one" ... i've seen it every night and like i say it just seemed to appear at about the start of January. It's right out my front door. If i open my front door its literally the right in front up in the sky.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Ive seen this planet/star myself and had countless arguments with people saying its nothing or Venus or they have seen stars that size before etc. I for one at 31 years of age have never seen a star/planet this size except for the sun and moon obviously,and I would consider myself an avid skywatcher at that, although not any sort of authority on astronomy matters.

It just seems so bloody big compared to eveything else and its brilliance exceeds the North stars by x100!!! I would say I have been noticing this for around 12 weeks now and it literally seemed to come out of nowhere,one day it wasnt there and the next its big beautiful celestial body suddenly appeared!

From looking at star charts and websites with current night sky info on them for the UK I must admit that it is very near where Venus should be but I have also seen what I think is Jupiter slightly to the right of this star/planet and although impressive in terms of other planets/stars it is no way in the same league as the one Im seeing on a regular basis. I would also like to point out that it stays from dusk right through till at least 3am in the UK,ive never checked after that due to me requiring my much needed beauty sleep.

If anyone can tell me that Venus behaves just as I have described and should be 10o times brighter and fifty times bigger than anything else we can see and back this up with documented evidence then Im willing to believe it but until that time Im sticking to my belief that we have something new and unexplained going on! A niggly feeling keeps surfacing though about it being placed there by the powers that be to further some kind of agenda,ive had these feelings before and things have happened so dont be fooled if were told later down the line its Aliens coming to our aid etc!!

Cheers

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Merkabah

It can be either. Both Venus and Sirius are very bright and are in the sky at the same time. After sunset both are visible. Venus sets about three hours after sunset and Sirius sets about 6 hours after that.

If what you are seeing is in the western sky for a few hours after sunset it is Venus. If it is high in the sky toward the east after sunset it is Sirius. If it is in the west late in the evening it is Sirius.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:05 AM
link   
Its Venus.
That's why sometimes you notice it, and other times you don't.
When it sets its bright and big, then it goes away.
Im positive now what im seeing was Venus.
But this doesn't explain the object near Betelgeuse in the other thread.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:13 AM
link   
When i say it cant be both, I mean there are not two objects in the sky, THAT bright or big... i have a clear view of the whole sky where i am, and it stands out more than any other object.

So how long will Venus be visable? or Sirius, whichever one it is.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

It's definitely Sirius. No question about it.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:15 AM
link   

It would have been about 7:00PM CST.

Probably a star, but unusually bright.

Edit: Going to look on Stellarium...bet its Venus I saw and she's bright right now!

Confirmed it was Venus I saw...great program by the way. Thanks!

[edit on 14-2-2009 by Freenrgy2]

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:20 AM
link   
reply to post by dooleysleftleg

"It just seems so bloody big compared to eveything else and its brilliance exceeds the North stars by x100!!!"

--------------------------------------

The magnitude of the North Star (Polaris) is around 2. The magnitude of Venus is around -3.5. So yes, its brilliance does exceed that of the North Star many times over.

This is from Polaris's entry on wikipedia "Polaris has a visual magnitude of 1.97 (second magnitude). (Some people mistakenly think that Polaris is the brightest star in the night sky. This title belongs to Sirius, and there are dozens of other stars also brighter than Polaris.)"

Like I've said and countless others in this thread, its Venus in the west at dusk and Sirius moving East to West throughout the night.

Peace

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:23 AM
link   
I've been contacted by the GFL and told to inform everyone that it is Nibiru on its final approach. I've also been told that the Annunaki will be fixing our economy and giving us a new bail out package.

This post is 12 pages now and getting more and more pointless. Like what I just said up there.

posted on Feb, 14 2009 @ 10:26 AM
link   
reply to post by foremanator

definitely Venus, which has been in conjunction with the moon oft of late.

All planets with bright enough magnitudes as well as stars, supernovae, galaxies, etc twinkle due to atmospheric disturbances (thermoclines).

If any one of you sees a new , red, magnificent comet let us know - especially in the southern hemisphere where us northerners can not look!

top topics

<< 9  10  11    13  14  15 >>

join