It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tasteless jokes are now a crime?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup
reply to post by BlueRaja

I agree with most of it, that's not the point.
It is that people could just go round saying anything in "the name of comedy" like the two i mentioned to tastethemagick above....

I could say either, and then say I'm just joking?

I'm not saying that you have to approve of all speech, or that all speech is good. I am saying that people have the right to say things we don't like or approve of though.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:39 PM
link   

I don't agree.....

It's all good though.

At least we understand each other

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:41 PM
link   

I don't agree.....

It's all good though.

At least we understand each other

What happens when somebody decides they don't like what you have to say? That's the whole idea. Free speech isn't about popularity. It's about not being oppressed by people with differing views.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:43 PM
link   

What a sad state of affairs.....

Why is it a sad state of affairs when people have the right to speak their minds? I'm glad that I live in a place where I can say what I want, where I want, when I want. People should be able to get OVER it when someone says something 'insulting', stop whining about it...words don't hurt. Let it go.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by BlueRaja
What happens when somebody decides they don't like what you have to say? That's the whole idea. Free speech isn't about popularity. It's about not being oppressed by people with differing views.

There is an issue of decency and civility and respect IMO.
I don't go round insulting, harassing or mocking peoples race, disabilities, afflictions, diseases and whatever else... so i have no worries...

And i know what you're gonna say... "what if somebody took exception to something trivial you did"... and that is a pretty weak argument IMO.
I'm talking about hateful and bigoted speech.

Can you call someone the N-word over there.... or other hateful, racist words.... you can't here in the UK and I'm so glad.

Hatred is a strong term that goes beyond simply causing offence or hostility. Hate crime is any criminal offence committed against a person or property that is motivated by an offender's hatred of someone because of their: * race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality or national origins * religion * gender or gender identity * sexual orientation * disability Hate crime can take many forms including:

* physical attacks – such as physical assault, damage to property, offensive graffiti, neighbour disputes and arson * threat of attack – including offensive letters, abusive or obscene telephone calls, groups hanging around to intimidate and unfounded, malicious complaints * verbal abuse or insults - offensive leaflets and posters, abusive gestures, dumping of rubbish outside homes or through letterboxes, and bullying at school or in the workplace

Our definition of a hate crime: * Any incident, which constitutes a criminal offence, which is perceived by the victim or any other person as being motivated by prejudice or hate.

Source

[edit on 23/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:47 PM
link   

reply to post by badgerprints

So you honestly think people have the right to say absolutely anything they want??

Anything?

Though not addressed to me, I say yes. Say all you want. Say it and say it and say it if you wish. Others are under no obligation to listen or believe.

But DO something...? Not so much. You have the right to do what you want within the informed willingness of others that your actions might impact.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

See my post above yours...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:50 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

"words don't hurt. Let it go. "

wow... that's deep

You should tell that to parents of kids who commit suicide because of verbal bullying and torment...

or endless other reasons that are verbally related...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
There are slander and libel laws that prevent people from saying or writing things that are not true and are just intended to hurt someone.

If a person is expressing an opinion then that's his/her opinion even if I view that opinion as rubbish.

Then exactly what defines hurt someone?
if someone joked about hanging, and i had relatives who knew people that were hung... I'd be offended!!

this is the point... who decides what is offensive?

If you say something that is not true and a person thinks that it has damaged their reputation then they can bring a legal action against you.

The courts decide if you've been hurt. It's not just having your feelings hurt, it's having your reputation damaged.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   

Can you call someone the N-word over there....

Yes you can. People do it all the time. Like I said before: words are just words, people need to get over it. It's silly to complain about "someone said ____". Restricting free speech promotes immaturity.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Wildbob77

fair enough...

Moved on from the libel/slander thing now though..

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   

I don't go round insulting, harassing or mocking peoples race, disabilities, afflictions, diseases and whatever else... so i have no worries...

And i know what you're gonna say... "what if somebody took exception to something trivial you did"... and that is a pretty weak argument IMO.

Can you call someone the N-word over there.... or other hateful, racist words.... you can't here in the UK and I'm so glad.

Hatred is a strong term that goes beyond simply causing offence or hostility. Hate crime is any criminal offence committed against a person or property that is motivated by an offender's hatred of someone because of their: * race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality or national origins * religion * gender or gender identity * sexual orientation * disability Hate crime can take many forms including:

* physical attacks – such as physical assault, damage to property, offensive graffiti, neighbour disputes and arson * threat of attack – including offensive letters, abusive or obscene telephone calls, groups hanging around to intimidate and unfounded, malicious complaints * verbal abuse or insults - offensive leaflets and posters, abusive gestures, dumping of rubbish outside homes or through letterboxes, and bullying at school or in the workplace

Our definition of a hate crime: * Any incident, which constitutes a criminal offence, which is perceived by the victim or any other person as being motivated by prejudice or hate.

Source

Our rights are eroded incrementally, not all at once. It's like a frog in pot of water that's slowly being heated up. If it were boiling hot, the frog would jump out, but if the temperature is raised slowly, the frog will be cooked.

If you say the N word, or other bigoted and hateful things, you have to be prepared that you may get your @#3 kicked, and decide if it was worth it. It's not the government's job to keep you from being offended.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:53 PM
link   
I'll repost what i did as it may have been overlooked.

Source

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:54 PM
link   
If I say you're ugly it may hurt your feelings but it's just an opinion.

If I say (write) that you're running a crooked business and people stop doing business with you, you'd have a legal case against me.

That's how the laws and courts can be used to protect your reputation.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wildbob77
If I say you're ugly it may hurt your feelings but it's just an opinion.

That is fine... read the source.... visit the link...

hatred of someone because of their: * race, colour, ethnic origin, nationality or national origins * religion * gender or gender identity * sexual orientation * disability

If I say (write) that you're running a crooked business and people stop doing business with you, you'd have a legal case against me.

yeah....we've done the libel/slander thing already....I'm lost on your point here?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:00 PM
link   
Visit the link... have a look...

That is the law here in the UK.

I am glad... perhaps Obama will sort it out over there too... let's hope so

HATE CRIME

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by blupblup

Yeah...good thing stating an opinion (such as "you're ugly") is not a criminal offense and therefore NOT a hate crime. That shouldn't even BE a hate crime. I think you're ugly, and have stated so. So what? It's just a bunch of words strung together and shouldn't be a problem.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:03 PM
link   
reply to post by TasteTheMagick

Did you miss where i said THAT IS FINE??? (regarding calling someone ugly?)

ugly is all good... please read....educate yourself....and do NOT misquote me.

Thank you

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:05 PM
link   

I believe the notion of a "hate crime" is bogus. What crimes are committed due to the fact that someone likes their victim? Hate crime laws establish classes of people that are more equal than others. Does it really matter why you verbally insulted, physically assaulted, robbed, killed somebody? Should you be punished more because it can be shown that in addition to doing these things, you also disliked them? Should someone that mugged a middle class, white, heterosexual male, be in less trouble than somebody that mugged a poor, gay, minority?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I was only using that as an example referenced from the above posts. I read all your silly little stuff and I still think that people should be able to make whatever jokes that they want and say whatever they want. I don't understand why you're bringing up "hate crimes".

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join