It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tasteless jokes are now a crime?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by blupblup

Originally posted by Amaterasu
Why? Why is speaking a crime? Next you will be saying THINKING these things is a crime. Got your thought police ready to cover THAT crime?

Crimes are stealing, kidnapping, assault, rape, murder, fraud. NOT speaking.

Glad you feel that way... and glad i live where i do

And the answer to my question is...?

Thanks for your response.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:23 PM
link   
He never answers that question. Not really anyway. I asked him the same things and all he ever concluded to say was that "words are more hurtful than any physical attack".

More so, when i asked for an explanation he ran away from the thread entirely.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by TasteTheMagick
He never answers that question. Not really anyway. I asked him the same things and all he ever concluded to say was that "words are more hurtful than any physical attack".

He can't reply because his argument is pure emotion. Words are more hurtful? Uhhhh....no bullets and baseball bats are more hurtful.

Based on his argument it should be against the law to break up with a boyfriend/girlfriend because it is "hurtful". Lets make it illegal to break up relationships! Or at least legislate the proper, and sensitive way to break up!

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by GENERAL EYES
reply to post by Tuning Spork

That's a Strawman arguement and I refuse to address that level of debate.

You are comparing something this guy did to Hitler in one of your previous posts, but have the audacity to say this lol.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:41 PM
link   
What he said was despicable, but as a wise man once said, if we don't believe in freedom of speech for those we disagree with then we don't believe in it at all.

So firing him I can understand because he reflected poorly on the city. But charging him with a crime is beyond the pale.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunarminer
Well, I have to mention that the "Thought Police" are already here and have been for over 30 years. Want proof? Here are a couple of examples.

No man can compliment a woman on her looks, what she is wearing, how she does her hair. This can be interpreted as sexual harassment.

A white person cannot use the N word for any reason, not even when quoting Chris Rock.

Dude you are paranoid. Yes there are restrictions about workplace behavior, but even so I have taken classes on sexual harrassment and the main rule was "if someone says they are uncomfortable, stop or it is a problem".

You can say all of the things you listed, you just have to say them around people that enjoy hearing them. Even if they don't enjoy hearing them it is NOT a crime (not yet anyway). Well except maybe racial/sexual orientation slurs during a physical attack, but in that case it doesn't matter what you say they will probably CLAIM you used a slur regardless.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 03:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sonya610
He can't reply because his argument is pure emotion. Words are more hurtful? Uhhhh....no bullets and baseball bats are more hurtful.

Bullets and baseball bats? Didn't you see his post? He's been mugged and jumped and blah, blah, blah...but the words...oh god the words!!!

Based on his argument it should be against the law to break up with a boyfriend/girlfriend because it is "hurtful". Lets make it illegal to break up relationships! Or at least legislate the proper, and sensitive way to break up!

Yes, no breaking up over the phone or by text message or by e-mail...etc. You MUST end a relationship in a nice, calm manner.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   
I didn't read the entirety of the thread, but I'd like to put in my thoughts.

The man is definitely protected under the Bill of Rights. However, as a representative of the city, if he signed any agreements that gave the city the right to terminate him under certain conditions, then it would be their right to do so.

I suspect he probably signed something that let them fire him if he publicly voiced opinions deemed racially, gender-oriented, or sexually offensive.

If he's right about the city wanting him fired due to the union issue, perhaps he just gave them the necessary out they needed.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Sonya610

No, I am not paranoid. I have seen people drummed out of the office for far less than what I have mentioned.

I have never been fired for using a racial, sexist, or any other remark. That does not mean that it can't happen. I have seen it happen.

I have been a system admin for several Fortune 500 corps. I had to warn people on a daily basis about their emails, blogs, online conversations, etc. I am very well versed in the cans and can'ts around the office. It is as I described.

By the way, if I have freedom of speech only around those who agree with me, or will not be offended, how much freedom do I really have?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:31 PM
link   
This is a great thread and I have enjoyed reading and posting on all of this.

I'm going to go now, stars and flags. The last thing that I would like to ad, is:

"Sticks and Stones, may break my bones, but names will never hurt me."

Maybe it's time to get back to this?

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Seemingly so.

Well, as another poster mentioned, the views are rooted in emotion and not logic or ethics. Explaining them is problematic.

[edit on 1/23/2009 by Amaterasu]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by lunarminer
I have been a system admin for several Fortune 500 corps. I had to warn people on a daily basis about their emails, blogs, online conversations, etc. I am very well versed in the cans and can'ts around the office. It is as I described.

Well of course using company email, or company computers, is far different. And putting something in a company email is suicidal. There is NO deniability.

I specifically avoid large corporations. But believe me, in smaller companies all SORTS of stuff still goes on (but not via email if they have any sense).

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:15 PM
link   

Why? Why is speaking a crime? Next you will be saying THINKING these things is a crime. Got your thought police ready to cover THAT crime?

Thinking is fine....but speaking or insulting someone is not.
There is a vast difference.

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:17 PM
link   

I ran away?

Your thought process and rationale is that of a child?
I can't explain it to you because you don't understand...

It IS a crime in the UK....it's not an issue of whether in your opinion it should or shouldn't be it actually IS a CRIME?

What needs explaining??

[edit on 23/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:18 PM
link   

It is a scientific fact.... that emotional pain is equal or greater than physical pain.... i cannot be blamed for your lack of education.
Isn't it funny that you are on every racist thread defending the racists......
or starting them

Hmmmmmmm.....

[edit on 23/1/09 by blupblup]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:20 PM
link   

It is not my argument....it is the LAW.

For the umpteenth time....

www.homeoffice.gov.uk...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Amaterasu

What answers would you like...

I will answer any questions and if people actually read my posts... the answers are there.
It gets a little annoying when you have to repeat yourself or people constantly misquote you...

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:31 PM
link   

It is not my argument....it is the LAW.

For the umpteenth time....

The LAW? Yes well, it may be the law where YOU live, in which case I do hope others will garner the strength to CHANGE the law before it wipes them out.

Wolf in sheeps clothing? Perhaps "King of the Sheeple" would be a more appropriate title. Being the king of the sheep does NOT make you a wolf.

[edit on 23-1-2009 by Sonya610]

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

The LAW? Yes well, it may be the law where YOU live, in which case I do hope others will garner the strength to CHANGE the law before it wipes them out.

Yes well fortunately, being able to spout racist crap does not affect one's survival.
And it's a relatively new law, so no fear of it disappearing

I know you would be annoyed if you couldn't air your racist views... but hey, never mind.
Who would be affected other than bigots?
What exactly do you WANT to say that you couldn't here... makes you think huh?

Wolf in sheeps clothing? Perhaps "King of the Sheeple" would be a more appropriate title. Being the king of the sheep does NOT make you a wolf.
[edit on 23-1-2009 by Sonya610]

No and being a racist does not make you an individual or even a decent human being.
I am probably in the minority with my views and i couldn't care less....

And yes... I am a wolf in sheeps clothing....wow, i can mock your title in your avatar, I'm so clever....

posted on Jan, 23 2009 @ 05:39 PM
link   

Thinking is fine....but speaking or insulting someone is not.
There is a vast difference.

Now you are reiterating your claim as an answer to my question. But it is not an answer. You are not saying WHY. Tell me about the "vast difference." Explain why thoughts are ok but words are not.

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join