It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Philadelphia This Morning, Obama to Call for "A New Declaration of Independence"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Obama wants a new Delcaration of Independence.
And then there is this call to make it possible for 3rd Obama term .
And he hasn't even been sworn in yet. YIKES.

There's the 'change' we've been looking for. :shk:

[edit on 1/17/2009 by FlyersFan]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:29 PM
link   
reply to post by redhatty

It would be nice if that is what he had in mind.

But his actions in the past don't seem to indicate this, and that is all I have to go by, which isn't much.

[edit on 033131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Obama wants a new Delcaration of Independence.
And then there is this call to make it possible for 3rd Obama term .
And he hasn't even been sworn in yet. YIKES.

There's the 'change' we've been looking for. :shk:

[edit on 1/17/2009 by FlyersFan]

I heard about that, moan.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777

It is so complex, where does one even start?

Feed the poor. Let them dine on the elite. In this "Me First" society, they should never go hungry again...

Honestly, I would go with block parties. Have massive cook outs that is free for everyone that wishes to attend. And have intelligent people from the community speaking, that can work a crowd, while they eat that encourage discussion and debate with the diners.

It would kinda be like ATS, except with food...I am such a subversive.

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

Interesting, can you imagine?

It would have to be like minded individuals.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Originally posted by redhatty

"Neither do I. Don't get me wrong, I am more than willing to organize a protest march to DC and MAKE them listen to us, the problem is getting others to do it."
They have been programmed to think and act in accordance with whims of TBTB and are under the MSM control.

“Oh they'll whine and complain and be armchair lawyers and politicians

But to actually pony up and DO SOMETHING that's where it all fizzles out.”

At least this people have a clue. They just are too confused or fearful to do anything.

“How do we wake up the sleeping masses? how do we piss them off and into action before it's too late?
www.fedupusa.org is one place that is also trying to organize”

I guess anything is better than nothing but I honestly believe that it is too late for a lot of people and that you are going to have to just leave them to their fate. Having a small group of informed committed individuals is much better than having a large group of lemmings that can easily swayed and are perfect targets for TPTB to sabotage your efforts.

“I'm tired of phoning, faxing and emailing elected officials who are supposed to be working FOR us, not against us.”

Once again historically this has proved to be a very ineffective use of time, money and energy. I was surprised that the MSM even mentioned the fact that there was such a huge out swelling of the American people actively getting involved and writing, calling, faxing and emailing out government begging them to not go with this bail out plan. We told them that we understood the ramifications and the possible outcomes and that we ere willing to take that chance. Did they listen? They not only did not listen they told us to our faces that they did not care what we wanted or what we thought.

“I can't even get enough people to go to the local office of those elected despicables, errr officials to make an impact. "

They will not listen.

“What's even worse, is how many people I talk to on a daily basis that HAVE NO FREAKING CLUE what's going on at all. “

And they don’t want to know. Try talking to someone that is comfortable with the head in the sand and they will either run from you or spit at you. Try telling someone that is so entranced with the programming on his 300+ channel, high def, big screen TV that his entire house is being pulled down around him he will not even take the time to hit pause to even listen to what you are saying.

The problem is that this undertaking has been in the works for years. There is no way that we can band to together and stop them at this late date. They have won this battle but they don’t have to win the war.

“Yeah, I don't know what to do either /rant"

I don’t think that there is any one answer. I think that you can only do what you can do. First you have to know what it is that you are fighting for. My grandmother used to say that you do not own the land; the land owns you. She would say, “How can you own something that is here before you were born and will be here after you are gone?” She said that we are caretakers of the land and that it is our duty to care for it and to give back what we take. Freedom is in your heart and spirit. Like your soul it is trapped inside the container that we call a body. They can cage your body but they can not cage your spirit, your soul or your freedom. The battle now is for freedom of spirit. The battle is to maintain home, family and community. Let them have their material things even they can’t eat their gold and silver. Build strong community units. You will be able to overcome the worst of trials. We can rebuild our country even if we have to start from scratch. Just make sure that someone is the history keeper. Make sure that they do not forget and most all make sure that they get it all down the good the bad and the ugly and make revision for the sake of a good story or for ego a mortal sin.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 04:55 PM
link   
reply to post by NightSkyeB4Dawn

Beautiful post Night,

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:36 PM
link   

we never learn until its to late

makes me

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Stormdancer777

Here's a story I found about the dems plan to lift the two term limit.
wnd.com...

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 07:59 PM
link   
www.americanthinker.com...

I heard about his views of the Constitution and I think if many people understood what it meant no one would have even allowed him in their town. Basically from what I have heard from Obama himself is that he wants to change the Constitution from "things the government cant do to you" into "things the government can do to you." I think it stinks and if the US is still standing by the end of Obama's term I will be completely surprised.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:55 PM
link   
There is absolutely nothing in Obama's speech today that even hints at his wanting to scrap the original Declaration of Independence. I have printed the transcript of the entire speech. Also, consdier this, God will bring his hand against the mighty that speak out of both sides of their mouths. The men that framed the Declaration of Independence, for the most part, were slave owners. Thomas Jefferson originally had a clause within the document which would have freed the slaves. It was removed after the Southern states refused to sign it as long as that remained in the document. Therefore, these men who sought complete financial freedom, which is what it was really all about and why the Southern states won the argument, allowed human beings to remain in boundage for almost another hundred years. How many more women were raped during that time? How many more children were ripped from the arms of their families? So, they died penniless? At least they died free.

Here is the speech: (part I)

We began this train trip in Philadelphia earlier today. It is fitting that we did so - because it was there that our American journey began. It was there that a group of farmers and lawyers, merchants and soldiers, gathered to declare their independence and lay claim to a destiny that they were being denied.

It was a risky thing, meeting as they did in that summer of 1776. There was no guarantee that their fragile experiment would find success. More than once in those early years did the odds seem insurmountable. More than once did the fishermen, laborers, and craftsmen who called themselves an army face the prospect of defeat.

And yet, they were willing to put all they were and all they had on the line - their lives, their fortunes, and their sacred honor - for a set of ideals that continue to light the world. That we are equal. That our rights to life, liberty, and the pursuit of happiness come not from our laws, but from our maker. And that a government of, by, and for the people can endure. It was these ideals that led us to declare independence, and craft our constitution, producing documents that were imperfect but had within them, like our nation itself, the capacity to be made more perfect.

A few decades after the framers met in Philadelphia, our new union faced its first true test. The White House was in flames, and the British were advancing on Baltimore. That's when the fate of our nation fell to the troops at Fort McHenry. They were a varied lot, these troops: sailors, militiamen, and even a runaway slave. But on one long and rainy night, they beat back the greatest navy that the world had ever known. And when that night was over, they raised a flag in triumph, inspiring an onlooker to compose a poem that became the Star-Spangled Banner.

We are here today not simply to pay tribute to those patriots who founded our nation in Philadelphia or defended it in Baltimore, but to take up the cause for which they gave so much. The trials we face are very different now, but severe in their own right. Only a handful of times in our history has a generation been confronted with challenges so vast. An economy that is faltering. Two wars, one that needs to be ended responsibly, one that needs to be waged wisely. A planet that is warming from our unsustainable dependence on oil.

And yet while our problems may be new, what is required to overcome them is not. What is required is the same perseverance and idealism that those first patriots displayed. What is required is a new declaration of independence, not just in our nation, but in our own lives - from ideology and small thinking, prejudice and bigotry - an appeal not to our easy instincts but to our better angels.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:56 PM
link   
Obama speech, Part II

That is the reason I launched my campaign for the presidency nearly two years ago. I did so in the belief that the most fundamental American ideal, that a better life is in store for all those willing to work for it, was slipping out of reach. That Washington was serving the interests of the few, not the many. And that our politics had grown too small for the scale of the challenges we faced.

But I also believed something else. I believed that our future is our choice, and that if we could just recognize ourselves in one another and bring everyone together - Democrats, Republicans, and Independents, north, south, east and west, black, white, Latino, Asian, and Native American, gay and straight, disabled and not - then not only would we restore hope and opportunity in places that yearned for both, but maybe, just maybe, we might perfect our union in the process.

This is what I believed, but you made this belief real. You proved once more that people who love this country can change it. And as I prepare to leave for Washington on a trip that you made possible, know that I will not be traveling alone. I will be taking with me some of the men and women I met along the way, Americans from every corner of this country, whose hopes and heartaches were the core of our cause; whose dreams and struggles have become my own.

Theirs are the voices I will carry with me every day in the White House. Theirs are the stories I will be thinking of when we deliver the changes you elected me to make. When we are seeing new jobs created that pay more to those who work them, I will be thinking of people like Kevin and Kirsten Meehan, who can't afford to turn on the heat or pay rent, and are tapping into Kevin's 401k to help support their two young children.

When our children are graduating from newer, better schools that prepare them to be good citizens and sought-after workers, I will be thinking of middle school teachers like Rosa Mendoza, who is giving her students the chance to fulfill their God-given potential.

When quality health care is no longer something we hope for, but something we can count on, I will be thinking of people like Patricia Stiles, who was diagnosed with a serious illness just as her husband lost his pension and her kids' tuitions were coming due.

These are the stories that will drive me in the days ahead. They are different stories, told by men and women whose journeys may seem separate. And yet, what you showed me time and again is that no matter who we are or what we look like, no matter where we come from or what faith we practice, we are a people of common hopes and common dreams, who ask only for what was promised us as Americans - that we might make of our lives what we will and see our children climb higher than we did.

We recognize that such enormous challenges will not be solved quickly. There will be false starts and setbacks, frustrations and disappointments. And we will be called to show patience even as we act with fierce urgency.

But we should never forget that we are the heirs of those early patriots, ordinary men and women who refused to give up when it all seemed so improbable; and who somehow believed that they had the power to make the world anew. That is the spirit that we must reclaim today.

For the American Revolution did not end when British guns fell silent. It was never something to be won only on a battlefield or fulfilled only in our founding documents. It was not simply a struggle to break free from empire and declare independence. The American Revolution was - and remains - an ongoing struggle "in the minds and hearts of the people" to live up to our founding creed.

Starting now, let's take up in our own lives the work of perfecting our union.

Let's build a government that is responsible to the people, and accept our own responsibilities as citizens to hold our government accountable.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 09:57 PM
link   
Obama's speech Part II

Let's all of us do our part to rebuild this country.

Let's make sure this election is not the end of what we do to change America, but the beginning.

Join me in this effort. Join one another in this effort. And together, mindful of our proud history, hopeful for the future, let's seek a better world in our time. Thank you.

It is clear that he is talking about conducting the affairs of this nation in a different way--seeking indendence from that which has pulled this nation down.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 10:26 PM
link   
First, I would be a lot happier with our new President if he realized that Abraham Lincoln had jack to do with writing the "old" Declaration of Independence.

Seriously, these kinds of mistakes make the man look like an idiot.

I would also be a lot happier if our other politicians acted in a way to suggest that they had actually read our founding documents. I have actually heard some of these chuckleheads on television say that we Americans don't enjoy "unalienable rights", since the Declaration of Independence is not a law.

I also wish that more people would read the DoI and the US Constitution. Once they did, they would see how our rights are violated by our government on a daily basis. Then they might be inclined to write to their Congressman.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 11:08 PM
link   
reply to post by lunarminer

Where in the world do you get that he has the impression that Abraham Lincoln wrote the Declaration of Independence? He said nothing to that effect. Obama went to Harvard for Law School and Cornell for undergraduate school. I guarantee you that somewhere along the way he learned who wrote the Declaration of Independence. It is a shame when people will create lies to try to prove something. I went back and read it again and he doesn't even mention Lincoln in the speech. Did you read it? How can you come on here and make statements which are so blatantly and easily proven to be false?
[edit on 17-1-2009 by Little Star]

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Little Star]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 12:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar

But of course the whole reason for the switch is to free up analog signals for police, fire and rescue right? Now I live in a small city and despite failing under five police jurisdictions (city, township, county, state and campus police departments) we haven't added any new departments that would require extra frequencies that analog TV currently uses.

That is the excuse? My entire county is going digital for all Fire and Police. I assumed the entire nation was going to switch its emergency signals to digital soon.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 02:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhead57

My sentiments exactly!!!!! I do the emails, make the calls, snail mail when necessary for impact leaders, volunteer with a local Welfare Rights agency, do all that I can to educate people.

I don't get it either, and what is worse, it seems to me the young people care less than those in their 40's and over. There is no sense of right and wrong in people anymore when it comes to government. Most people are jaded and know they are all crooked and screwing us and most just could care less. That is just how we got where we are right now.

With the economy collapsing people are going to have to wake up, I can't see how they could allow this to get worse. Then again, rather than getting up and doing something, we look to leaders to save us instead of us getting up and protesting, boycotting and saving ourselves.

Fema camps may not be so far fetched after all.
[edit on 1/17/2009 by redhead57]

Most young adults are morons who are too into cell phones and think the future won't hurt them in the future...if that makes sense. So instead of getting mad at someone who, is basically robbing your ass at gunpoint as that one cartoon showed Cheney doing with a tank to Uncle Sam, nobody cares like they would if they were PHYSICALLY robbed. People don't even care about how this will impact their kids' futures, they see it as a chore. Bitches, they didn't complain when the Japanese and Nazis were stomping on us, or the British for that fact, they got PISSED.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 03:33 AM
link   
Really, it appears as if the folks in this thread grab on to something and run with it without doing any research for themselves. A line is printed as the title of a newspost, even when it is from an organization that has no merit, the people run with it and don't consider very much outside of that which fits into a jaded view. With the term limit legislation. So, that particular item is nothing that should even merit a discussion. The Democrats as a whole are not trying to have unlimited terms for Obama. Secondly, in order for the Bill to have made it to the House on the day it did (January 6th), it would have had to have been written far in advance. Long before Obama won the election. So, it is unlikely that the main purpose was to keep Obama in the White House indefinately. Why not give the man a chance to take his oath of office before attacking his Presidency. Further, this same guy has introduced this same legislation in the past. He does it every so often. He also did it in 2005, for instance. Obama had not even begun his presidential campaign at that time. It has nothing to do with Obama and is all this guy.

[edit on 18-1-2009 by Little Star]

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:01 AM
link   

He said that the flaw was in the "thinking" of the times. The thinking he was referring to was that which allowed slavery to continue.

Then, he says that the same type of flawed THINKING continues to this day. Which is referring to the bigotry that is still in existence in this country.

Laws against discrimination may hold those guilty in the various sectors of our society guilty for having acted against an individual in a discriminatory manner. However, they do not eliminate the THINKING that caused the discrimination.

posted on Jan, 18 2009 @ 04:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
I only wish that Americans had the reading comprehension to go over the Declaration and see just how it fits to the abuses of our current government.

Maybe if people woke up, they would rise up and say NO MORE

Of course that would mean actually being aware and active in their state and federal government - would the sheeple expend the effort?

Read the words

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable Rights, that among these are Life, Liberty and the pursuit of Happiness. — That to secure these rights, Governments are instituted among Men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed, — That whenever any Form of Government becomes destructive of these ends, it is the Right of the People to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new Government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their Safety and Happiness.

But when a long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same Object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute Despotism, it is their right, it is their duty, to throw off such Government, and to provide new Guards for their future security

He has erected a multitude of New Offices, and sent hither swarms of Officers to harass our people and eat out their substance.

For imposing Taxes on us without our Consent:

He has excited domestic insurrections amongst us,

Change British or King to Federal Government and see just how it applies to us today

Great words written by great men. It's crystal clear. We know what they did. Its now on us.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join