It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

In Philadelphia This Morning, Obama to Call for "A New Declaration of Independence"

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ahabstar
reply to post by redhatty

Feb 17 will do that for quite a number of people; if the numbers are correct, millions are not fully prepared for the digital switch.

Now be sure to thank the gov't for lending a helping hand.

I hear Obama doesn't want this to happen.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:08 PM
link   
Perhaps the loss of electricity will be the only thing to keep the loyal TV addict from getting his/her daily nod from reality.

Television in and of itself can be a useful source of information but few use it in this way. Most homes have that thing running from the morning until the evening, just running in the background! It has moved from a tool to a medication for most of America, I have no experience with any nation other than my own.

As more and more people get on line and things continue to decline I do believe that people will wake up, sad thing is it is likely too late already.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:16 PM
link   

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.

We didn't pay the price, it was given to us... Only when one works for something is it dear to them. For too long we've had it easy, we've become soft with pride for something we don't even understand anymore.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

What there are actually millions that don't subscribe to cable or microwave tv? No way!

What about the converter box coupons that have been sent to the oh so many households that do use rabbit ears?

But of course, as Obama takes on the Roosevelt fireside chat routine via TV, he wants to be sure everyone can see and hear him, won't he?

Well there's always YouTube

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

What we obtain too cheap, we esteem too lightly: it is dearness only that gives every thing its value.

We didn't pay the price, it was given to us... Only when one works for something is it dear to them. For too long we've had it easy, we've become soft with pride for something we don't even understand anymore.

I agree, the me generation.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by Iamonlyhuman

Speak for yourself.

I am a veteran and I know what I have given and how dear the Constitution is to me.

Maybe you are only speaking of yourself here. If so, do own it, don't project it on others.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Stormdancer777
US Constitution “reflected the fundamental flaw of this country, that continues to this day”

What does he mean exactly?

Again, CONTEXT is critical in determining what a person means.
Please listen to the entire quote.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:25 PM
link   

Red, my husband is a Vietnam Vet,we are getting older now, what the heck we are old, now he works hard and watches westerns all night, it is an escape,

I on the other hand would like to help some how.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

sounds like he is saying that the Constitution reflected the flaw of allowing people to be considered property, specifically African people, and that flaw continues to this day.

Last I checked we no longer allow slavery - only the Federal Government does as it relates to the Citizens of this country.

We are all nothing more than chattel, worthless eaters who are only here to work and provide funding for the Federal machine to keep running.

Amazing isn't it? we have a president who thinks the flaws in the thinking of the culture at the time still exist today. I guess Harvard never bothered teaching him that there were many other countries at that time that also condoned slavery. That is was ultimately outlawed, and we now have laws in effect to ensure that no discrimination should be involved in just about anything.

So what flaw is still in effect today?

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:34 PM
link   
The very commission and act of signing into law, the Declaration of Independence, was a commitment of treason against the British Empire. The Boston Tea Party was the rebellion. With this act, a nation was born.

This same nation has seen itself rise to the brink of ultimate power on this planet through means of war and peace. By its very design, it is a nation of misfits and mutts, of ragtag hoolligans and war criminals, of brilliant minds and aggressive leaders. These traits are the reason for both the rise in prosperity and the rise in corruption.

American citizens, myself included, have lived under this auspice for so long that we have become complacent in our duties in regards to the origin of our nation, our government and our role in this world.

IMO, the most important line from the DoI has already been posted and in the coming months, there may well be a rise in activity from a not so silent majority that wish to see happen that which we all desire....Change.

Do not get me wrong, Obama is not the one that brings change. The change I am speaking of is a change in the activity of the people and how they see their nation, their leaders and their country. With so many lacking the will to stand up, this change will not come quickly or quietly, but will be necessary to wake the few by the many and bring with it a storm of change for a nation that is long overdue.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:40 PM
link   

I have neither cable nor satellite, my over the air reception is so poor that I effectively do not have TV. Feb 17 will just another day for me. Now I do have a 32" LCD that I can watch digital broadcast, it serves as my monitor as I sit in my easy chair and type away on a wireless KB. Quite nice for playing video games and watching DVD's as well.

For the past five years since moving here, I get my news from both the radio (AM local talk) and the internet. For music I use internet radio. Broadband is via 3G card in the laptop by Sprint, which is less expensive than Roadrunner from Time-Warner.

These are luxuries that can be done without should economic factors demand it. But I will always have radio available and can always read books and magazines.

And yes Stormdancer, Obama wants to push back the switch date. He claims so people have more time to convert, personally I feel it is to avoid an angry mob when the TV's go off and people have to turn to their neighbors for socializing. Would hate for angry groups of people to get together and talk without the distraction of who is dancing with which star or whatever passes for entertainment today.

Too bad the Super Bowl is on Feb 1 and not Feb 22 as that could be rather interesting (for social observation purposes, of course)

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by redhatty
So what flaw is still in effect today?

It doesn't define "Natural-born Citizen".

You'd have to talk to him to find out exactly what he meant, but the Constitution is not perfect. It wasn't meant to be a perfect document. It was meant to change to reflect and support our country's growth.

Many would say that the Electoral College is another flaw. Saying something isn't perfect is not an insult. People don't have to get all huffy because someone suggests this living document contains flaws.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Ahabstar

And yes Stormdancer, Obama wants to push back the switch date. He claims so people have more time to convert, personally I feel it is to avoid an angry mob when the TV's go off and people have to turn to their neighbors for socializing. Would hate for angry groups of people to get together and talk without the distraction of who is dancing with which star or whatever passes for entertainment today.

Not far from what I was thinking.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by wheresthetruth

The change I am speaking of is a change in the activity of the people and how they see their nation, their leaders and their country. With so many lacking the will to stand up, this change will not come quickly or quietly, but will be necessary to wake the few by the many and bring with it a storm of change for a nation that is long overdue.

There is no doubt we have been heading in the wrong direction for a long time .

Change is coming but it wont be pretty.

I can forsee a time that we may have little access to forums like these.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:51 PM
link   
If he means it, he'd get government off our back, out of our business, out of our pockets, and out of our schools.

And if he doesn't, and this continues, the states may have to declare their independence once again.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dooper

And if he doesn't, and this continues, the states may have to declare their independence once again.

OH MY god, dooper,
Those were my thoughts exactly before I even read the Obama speech, I am a firm believe in synchronicity

[edit on 023131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Benevolent Heretic

I would agree that the EC is a flaw in that winning only eleven states can produce a victory regardless of the total popular vote. But I also see why the EC needs to remain in place.

I mean could you imagine the outcry should an undesirable candidate to many but yet just happens to be charismatic enough to sway the populace into believing what amounts to little more than campaign promises to be pushed back and forgotten once the election is won and we are left with a rudderless boat, adrift in a morass of reactionary and ineffective solutions to a major problem?

No we need the EC to cast their votes to prevent such a circumstance. We just need them to be free to vote according to best intentions instead of letting the winning party of that state send the electors.

Think that was a dig directly at Obama? Nope, it applies to a great number of presidents.

edit because it takes eleven states, not elven states

[edit on 17-1-2009 by Ahabstar]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Obama to Call for "A New Declaration of Independence"

And he isn't even sworn in ....
That didn't take long.
The Bildebergers are going to be veeeeeeery happy with their new tool.

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Obama to Call for "A New Declaration of Independence"

And he isn't even sworn in ....
That didn't take long.
The Bildebergers are going to be veeeeeeery happy with their new tool.

Hard to believe so many didn't see it coming, I fully believe it is because so many are ill-informed and unaware of what is going on around them, we as a society have been programed for this moment.

Manipulated in so many ways.

It is so complex, where does one even start?

[edit on 033131p://bSaturday2009 by Stormdancer777]

posted on Jan, 17 2009 @ 03:25 PM
link   
Well seriously. If we go back to the very early part of this thread and actually read the Declaration of Independence, then replace anything referring to the King or Britain with Federal Government, modify or remove the parts that are not applicable, then maybe Obama is right.

It is time for a new Declaration of Independence. Independence from the long train of abuses and usurpations, pursuing invariably the same object evinces a design to reduce them under absolute despotism.

Remember

We hold these truths to be self-evident, that all men are created equal, that they are endowed by their Creator with certain unalienable rights, that among these are life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness. That to secure these rights, governments are instituted among men, deriving their just powers from the consent of the governed. That whenever any form of government becomes destructive to these ends, it is the right of the people to alter or to abolish it, and to institute new government, laying its foundation on such principles and organizing its powers in such form, as to them shall seem most likely to effect their safety and happiness.

Let's kick the leeches out of government and make our government work FOR us again

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join