It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The World of Warcraft Conspiracy...Subliminal Messaging & Blizzard gold spammers!

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme

Heheh -- that's only cos you guys were addicted to the game BECAUSE of the entertaining experience(s) of the game itself - not because of subliminal messaging!

i agree 100% thats why i play games

the subliminal crap is unnessesary, and blizz should remove it asap imo

no ones gonna stop playing if they take it out, trust me

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by saint4God

LOL that's great, haha, although everyone knows Alliance are bunch of babies anyway...

JUST KIDDING, some of the best pvpers I've ever played with were Alliance

Imagine the top 2 guilds on your server from Horde and Alliance going head to head in Halaa MASSIVE amounts of uber leetness

*sigh* I miss those days, everyone became so involved with the expansion coming out that they all lost their heads in they behinds....

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 01:27 PM
link   
Also, it's amusing when people talk about how degrading and horrible computer entertainment is. And then they go out to the movies. Which is the grandest illusion of them all. People spending hundreds of millions on a single movie, which is usually utterly fantasy, for rabid fans who go there to escape from reality. Hmmm...

The regular world can be interesting and fun, but people since the beginning of time have tried to find ways to escape from the hum-drum of regular life, and have some fun

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Griffo515
...But in a recent experience my friend had, He purchased around 10,000 gold (Roughly $2-300 AUD) but after buying it he was interrogated in-game by blizzard about where the gold came from, He did tell them...and it led to a 3day suspension, and the Salesman was left untouched! If blizzard become concerned about one person in game suddenly obtaining 10K...how much would the salesman and/or business have to have in stock to sell to the general population?? NONE! because its quite simple, it would cost Blizzard NOTHING to make the money...its all at the click of a button for them, and its FREE MONEY! Besides the $400,000 they make from game time per month they would also have an Unlimited amount of digital currency that they can sell to their subliminal addicted gamers.

[edit on 12-1-2009 by Griffo515]

You hit the nail on the head. The gold spammers AREN'T some "Chinese gold farmers", they are Blizzard employees. Are you telling me that they don't have automated processes to determine who is spamming trade to sell gold? And those accounts aren't immediately suspended?

BTW, read the terms of use VERY, VERY closely. It does NOT prohibit BUYING gold, merely SELLING gold. Your friend, should he desire to, has a very valid lawsuit on his hands.

Realize this: WoW is addictive not because of what they put in the game, but because of the genre itself. It was the same with Evercrack... I mean EverQuest.

People will quit playing WoW when something better comes along, as it always does.

Not everyone continues playing that game because they are "addicted". I play because of a group of people that I met in the game. We play together, and do lots of stuff together. While we play, we talk (literally, through voice chat) about religion, politics, government, current events, etc. In other words... we play a game while we are socializing.

That's why the Wii is the top selling console in the world. It allows people to socialize while they are playing.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by neformore

I'm pretty much the same.
I'm a casual player but I do play and it is entertaining.

Blizzard gets about 14$ a month from me. That's not an amazing sum. Now I know that collectively they make a large amount but for the average individual, for myself, that 14$ is just disposable income. What other money are they receiving from me?

As far as gold selling goes...it's not allowed. It is against the rules. The people that do sell gold are not representatives of Blizzard and the profit they make is theirs alone. If they are caught in the act they are banned. Most people are afraid to buy gold because they fear having their account banned.

It does happen.

I know a person that paid for power-leveling and when Blizzard found out his character was DELETED. Straight up, I saw him again as a level one.

I know a person that sold their toon and that too is not allowed, but when he did Blizzard didn't come in and ask for a percentage. One guy I know sold his warlock for over 1k.

To me buying WoW toons and gold is silly. You just have to play. It's not necessary when you can make it yourself very easily, but I do know there are a bunch of rich kids in the game that get the cash from their folks. Hey it's their risk.

Blizzard doesn't profit from Gold selling, China does, since most gold sellers are from there. The guy I met from there that told me all about how it's done. It's his 9-5 job at an actual company for goodness sake. They walk around and watch to see if any of them are wasting time chatting or working on selling gold. He doesn't really like it, but hey...times are hard.

Also you are rewarded for not constantly playing because when you park your character at a "home" they are "rested" which makes leveling easier later on. It's better for some to friggin' log-off every now and then, because a full server means queue waits to simply play your character.

- Lee

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

So who can blame Blizzard and their employees? haha no one can blame blizzard employees

they are a corporation, by law they are not responsible for the companies decision

Enron was a huge corporation also. They have dozens of people who served jail time. Individuals are held accountable for the actions of a corporation all the time.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by Gando702]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by mastermind77
reply to post by Helig

Well do some research and im not coming from LA LA land on this. And im at the point where it is all connected by a singular form of conciousness being imposed from many angles. Which if true I can only assume that those imposing would diminish people like me who want to expose its fraudulent nature. But please mock the truth..and dont research anything with an open mind..

So, what you're suggesting, if I get this, is that there's a conspiracy by the Blizz guys, who are loading their number one game with subliminal messages (something ANY investigating ratings board, overseeing quality control or distributer would see during the QA of the game before release) instructing it's players to play it, spend money, use their credit cards, etc, via subliminal messages.

Now, all this is connected by a "singular form of consciousness being imposed from many angles", I'm assuming the Illuminaughty, yes?

And you're saying you're not from La-La Land???

Look, I am open-minded and am more than happy to be proven wrong as we only learn from our mistakes. But I listened to that vid of the death sequence. Bollocks that's subliminal messages. I've heard it before and it doesn't say anything like the words you imply.. unless you are so paranoid of the world around you that you want to hear them, if only to bring some form of meaning to your day... [shrug]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Griffo515

Is this really important? Surely many media products have advertisements included in them.

The problem with World of Warcraft is that it is hugely addictive. I have a friend who has been wasting an incredible amount of time playing it.

I will not even try it. I don't want to get addicted. I managed to waste too many evenings with Grand Theft Auto and I really don't want to try a game that is even more addictive than GTA...

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by noonebutme
So, what you're suggesting, if I get this, is that there's a conspiracy by the Blizz guys, who are loading their number one game with subliminal messages (something ANY investigating ratings board, overseeing quality control or distributer would see during the QA of the game before release) instructing it's players to play it, spend money, use their credit cards, etc, via subliminal messages.

Well, the interesting point is that all of these fantasy Role Playing Games are pretty much ripping off Tolkien, who created his world inspired by the mythology of various European cultures... Like Celtic, Nordic, Finnish... So basically we are being spoon-fed a digitized version of the myths of our ancestors.

I just would love to know what somebody like Joseph Campbell or C.G.Jung would say about these games. Probably they would get addicted too. But they would just be doing research while playing them, of course.

[edit on 13-1-2009 by ukuli]

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Gaming is fine. Gamers are fine. Excessive gamers are fine. People who lose their life because gaming ARE NOT fine. It is their life, and they can do as they wish, but I know for a fact many people do not want to lead such life's.

I use to play World of Warcraft. Once you get into it enough, it requires whole nights to even make any more progress.

It is an addiction to many. I got bored and I quit. I barely play games anymore, but yes they are addictions. I was addicted. I lost a lot of social time. Like many things in life, the parents really do need to be the executive and stay on top of things.

EVERYTHING IN MODERATION - EVEN MODERATION.

For adults who answer to no one...all I can say is it will be a matter of time.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Take it from me as a psychology student, subliminal messaging can go in the bag of things labelled "things people think are scary but really arent" along with hypnosis and mindreading.

Its the power of suggestion- not some sci-fi mind control, like brain washing people. Hollywood likes to make out that brainwashing and sleeper agents and subliminal messaging are far more effective than they really are. If you were to make a decision, with a 50/50 choice, then a subliminal message leading you down one path would likely sway you and control you in that respect.

If you are in a marriage or job or home situation that is being torn apart by excessive play- you arent being subliminally controlled, you are addicted.

I play wow on and off- this is because i know i am easily addicted to video games. When i get bored, i play. Same way as a fat person eats when they have nothing else to do. Blizzard do annoy me, in that everything they do these days comes from a marketing perspective designed to get maximum profit in the long run. It is after all a multi million dollar company. Their games are designed (as are all games in honesty) to be addictive so that you want more, and when you want more, you pay more. The only problem with blizzard is that they are brutally efficient at getting money out of you.

There are more complicated marketing methods at work than subliminal messaging. Ozzy ozbourne and william shatner advertising? Links to future content mentioned in the previous release of the game? Constant bits of lore being drip fed via websites about the wow universe? Even stupid things like making it dead easy to pay, but twice as hard to cancel your subscription. These are marketing techniques employed by all companies- you are only aware of it because you are most likely immersed in the WoW universe and so it is at the forefront of your experience.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 03:59 PM
link   
all of htis is utter bs

complete and utter bs.

i had seen this video, and had i thought it worthwhile would have posted it here.

unless you konw. the better players dont die. at all.

those are the ones who are hooked the most?

this site is becoming drudgery to filter thru the rubbish posted.

no distrespect at you, this is towards the fool who made the video

there is always someoene saying beyonce lovse the devil play it backwards,

well dora the explorer is lude and rude when u play that backwards. i can hardly here what your saying, and the brain has to invent to what you want to hear

if you chose to here. whispery ghost like noises. you would here that

addiction is non existent it is for those who want an excuse to do what there doign

wanna know why a heroin "addict" injects, or wow head plays wow, cos the f***ing like doing it

no other reason

if they didnt like doing it, having weighed up the pros and cons they would stop. those who say they cant are lieing to themselves and others

addidtion is a myth like the existence of terrorism.

read it belive it its all true

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by lee anoma
...The people that do sell gold are not representatives of Blizzard and the profit they make is theirs alone. ...

Explain this, Sherlock.

How do these "chinese gold farmers" LEVEL THEIR TOONS, and then transfer the gold to their customers, without tripping all kinds of alarms at Blizzard?

Why isn't all chat with the words "gold" and "buy" and "(something).com" immediately flagged to be looked at by a human?

How do they make a profit when the cost to start a toon is (very minimum) $29 for the game, and $15 for the "month", plus the cost to pay the "chinese gold farmer"? They would have to have 3 customers for every single toon they created.

This isn't like real life. EVERYTHING has to be tracked, so that in the event of a crash, the server can be rolled back to where everyone was prior to the crash.

Do you think it an amazing coincidence that gold spammers continue to advertise in the trade chat?

Are you seriously suggesting that they can bring back toons that have been on accounts that have been dormant for 6 months, but Blizzard just can't seem to figure out who is selling gold?

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by whoshotJR
You guys are crazy. Online games are addicting because of a proven formula not because of the stupid death sound you get when running back to your body and most people dont even do that since they get somebody to bring them back to life. I played wow for a few years and quit.

How it works

make a character need to level up. At each level give them something to want or strive for.

Add items that need to be worked towards and make them have different rarity levels.

Make it so the game centers around you bringing friends into it or needing to join a community. By having 24 or 39 other people waiting for you to log in to do something its amazing the amount of pressure you feel.

Always make it have something around the corner, adding new content or changing things that effect the character.

This is about all you need. Its been done in many games and will continue to be done. People use games as a way to escape.

Then again, this sorta thing isnt unprecedented.. I mean it wasnt that long ago they messed up the advertising on that cooking show and a split second of the mcdonalds symbol popped up in the middle of a show. And honestly I wouldnt put it past any game company to do this. Look at EA for example. Who knows who they are are selling adspace to. It all kinda fades into the background, but your brain still picks up on it.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall
Byrd,

Have you got to run the purging of Stratholme yet? I'm telling you it is so sad. From a lore standpoint, this is the most dramatic scene they have put in the game so far. This is where Altarus loses it and decides to purge the city of all the infected prior to them turning to scourge and he is abandoned by ol' Uther and Lady Proudmoor. Then you go into the city and the saddest part of the deal is at the beginning because a lady walks up to him and says something about being glad he is there and she knows he will help them and he strikes her dead with his sword. From there it's just an all out slaughter of the citizens of the city. After this is when Altarus starts losing his mind over what he did to the citizens.

[edit on 1-13-2009 by Valhall]

No... I haven't got to run that one. Is it an instance or more of a solo thing like Undercity?

Man...that sounds like something where you'd just sit and be thoughtful for a long time after it. I watched "Undercity" to its end and felt somber and sad for poor Thrall and the sheer bloody inevitability of it all.

There's some things in the games, some quests I'm offered that I refuse and generally they're the ones that I'm ethically uncomfortable with. Yes, I know it's a game, but things like "The farmers of Hillsbarad need to be killed" that I Just Don't Do. If they were the ones raiding Tarren Mill, then yes I'd go waste 'em. But when an NPC with some sort of "kill them all because I said so" issue orders me to do it, I refuse.

Let me tell you... it was very hard to do the Death Knight starting area the first time around.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Valhall

Originally posted by MilitieTempliSalmo
hello ATS wow community!!! The ex- solo hunter salutes you all! (BM spec... I need no one
:lol

I think all we need is a healer (typical) and we've got ourselves a PUG!

lol

Zaingrei, level 78, Andorhal.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 04:41 PM
link   
reply to post by noonebutme

Deny Ignorance

Here are some links that support my views, I know if you already "cant" believe these obvious screaming 'facts' that are embedded everywhere then your blind or willingly not smart enough to see what im saying.

Or maybe you do and still laugh..

Basicly look into these websites.

www.thebravenewworldorder.blogspot.com...

www.rundonotwalk.blogspot.com...

and the one I posted earlier..

www.logo-opolis.blogspot.com...

Its no suprise that people dont even want to look deeper into the world around them, but I guess thats why they spend their days in front of a useless endless game to bilk the masses to fund secret projects like for instance..

mind control..perhaps..?

Im only stating these things because unlike many of you out there, I still have not cremated care at the bohemian grove alter of sacrificial loserdom.

At least I know I view the world with a proper eye.

BAHAHAHA

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:06 PM
link   
Well, this is essentially a consipiracy website, so can't really complain about the constant conspiracy theorys.
But tell me this, if it was possible to mind control someone into say, giving you a hundred dollars through hypnosis, subliminal messaging, or a hidden code in a title, wouldnt it happen all the time? Why would hypnotists do stage shows when they could just ask people for money? Why would blizzard pour so much money into new content if all they need to was design a new logo to dupe people?

Do you know anyone who has been mindcontrolled? Do you know anyone who can mindcontrol you? Personally, 5 years into studying the subject, ive yet to see definative proof.
There are ways in which the brain can be tricked, but not ways in which it can be controlled.

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:08 PM
link   
This thread is silly.

ALL of Blizzard's games are critically acclaimed. I found Warcraft 3 FAR more addictive than World of Warcraft, and guess what; Warcraft 3 did not have a monthly subscription.

The fact is that Blizzard makes very good games, and you add that to the fact they made a type of game (MMO) where you play in a constantly changing world, means it's easy to get hooked!

posted on Jan, 13 2009 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Byrd

No... I haven't got to run that one. Is it an instance or more of a solo thing like Undercity?

It's a level 80 heroic 5-man. It's in CoT and it's Strat before it fell into ruin (as much of Caverns of Time is).

[edit on 1-13-2009 by Valhall]

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join