It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sex offenders must hand over online passwords

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lilitu
Wouldn't it violate the TOS or AUP of some sites to share login credentials with a third party? If not it should be.

I don't think that would hold up in a court if the people "logging in" are the authorities. I am sure that they will make some loophole that allows them to access this stuff.

My thought is.... They (the authorities) should not have access to banking or that type of info. But absolutely should have access to emails and any sort of instant messenger.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
The laws concerning this kind of thing are really messed up.

First Pedo's should not be allowed internet access at all , period, none, not even a phone with the capability , hackers get banned from having computers or even touching them anywhere, so why not these people?

As for the sex offenders register, it does need to be looked at and changes made to fit any crime, being placed on a register for having sex in a car is way over the top, who hasn't had a little fun in a car? (consensual fun).

People don't see the crime when they hear someone is on the register, they see pervert, the law needs to take these things into account, the register should only be used when there is a victim, sex in a secluded place and consensual in a car, bush, field, wherever, where is the victim there?

I have a feeling those events are only on a list that can be added to a register, simply because of puritan, close minded, old fashioned, and selfish, I bet if you looked deeply into the closets of those offended by what people do in private, have the dirtiest secrets of all.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by TARBOX

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

This law would be better suited for repeat sex offenders.

I'm just asking.....

What if it is the persons first offense and he is released. Goes on the internet and finds your son or daughter. Would this make you think twice about this law?

As stated in my other post, there should be a certain guideline to those who are after children.

How about you keep your sons or daughters off line? Stop trying to get the authorities to do your jobs, step up and be parents. Stop letting the web, tv and video games be your baby sitters. I have a 10mo daughter and when she is old enough, she will only be allowed on-line under strict adult supervision. How many of your sons or daughters are sending inappropriate pictures across the web under your noses?

Tired of this crap, lets make messed up laws to take away rights of others. It's a fact the most children are sexually assaulted by someone they know. NOT STRANGER DANGER, come on people lets get real.

Also everyone talks about On-Line predators. How about you ask where your 13 yo is going in stead of them meeting a sicko some place. You can't have predators if you don't have prey. Teach children not go give out names address and phone numbers. And for god sake use your common sense, parents today are all about giving the parenting job to someone/something else. If you didn't want to be around your children DON'T HAVE THEM.

[edit on 12/31/08 by Djdoubt03]

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 01:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Djdoubt03
How about you keep your sons or daughters off line? Stop trying to get the authorities to do your jobs, step up and be parents. Stop letting the web, tv and video games be your baby sitters. I have a 10mo daughter and when she is old enough, she will only be allowed on-line under strict adult supervision. How many of your sons or daughters are sending inappropriate pictures across the web under your noses?

Tired of this crap, lets make messed up laws to take away rights of others. It's a fact the most children are sexually assaulted by someone they know. NOT STRANGER DANGER, come on people lets get real.

Also everyone talks about On-Line predators. How about you ask where your 13 yo is going in stead of them meeting a sicko some place. You can't have predators if you don't have prey. Teach children not go give out names address and phone numbers. And for god sake use your common sense, parents today are all about giving the parenting job to someone/something else. If you didn't want to be around your children DON'T HAVE THEM.

You know, I have 4 children. 2 of which are now in college. I raised them to know what was what with most things. Unfortunately, there are some parents that don't take "parenting" seriously and allow them to do what ever they want. So, you're right....If you don't want the responsibility that goes along with it, don''t have kids. But this is the real world and laws MUST be put in place to protect those young children that haven't been taught or explained the dangers.

However, I think you are completely wrong to put total blame on the parents. Yes....statistics show that "SOME" of the predators are people you know, but that is not always the case and the "online" situation is only part of the whole picture.

I think your opinions above for the most part are sound and good. But just wait until your daughter gets older. It is easy right now to say that you are going to let her go "on-line under strict adult supervision" but let me tell you....you can't be there every second of every minute. Trust me....4 children and I am still learning. I still worry about my girls that are away in college even though they are adults now. But like I said, you can't be there every second to protect them.... There MUST be laws to protect our children no matter how old they are from these ..... (fill in the blank)

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   

I'm just asking.....

What if it is the persons first offense and he is released. Goes on the internet and finds your son or daughter. Would this make you think twice about this law?

As stated in my other post, there should be a certain guideline to those who are after children.

What if what if what if. What if I accidentally shoot someone thais coming into my home to askfor directions and they are not a criminal, guess we should get rid of all guns. Maybe parents should moniter their children instead of expecting the system to protect them all the time. Maybe we should instill a little common sense into thelittle tykes headshmm?

Or maybe, just maybe, we should simply realise that we can't protect our kids or ourselves, and that fear mongering posts such as yours are the only true way to think, cause we are all helpless and can't think beyond what the authorities want us to.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Yup you're right! But do you think that if the ones who weren't innocent were given free access to the internet, your children would be safe?

I have a novel idea. Why don't the PARENTS take responsibility for their children's online use?

I think that if they are going to put this into play, maybe there should be some ground rules on the perp. Mostly for child molesters I would say because more than anything, my children should be safe on the Internet.

What is your child doing unmonitored on the internet anyway? Talk about safety. Would you let your child ride the subway alone? Then why are you allowing them to surf the internet alone?

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I just jumped into this thread, so forgive me if this has been discussed.

It would seem that the law would be struck down on the basis of the 5th Amendment. No one should be forced to provide incriminating evidence against themself.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Finn1916
Or maybe, just maybe, we should simply realise that we can't protect our kids or ourselves, and that fear mongering posts such as yours are the only true way to think

Fear mongering??

I don't know weather to laugh or be pissed.

The scum that do horrible things to little kids should not have any rights what so ever. You, most likely have never been abused, or around kids that have had their lives screwed up because of these scum.

What ever Mr Finn.... If I am going to be labeled a "fear monger" because all children should be protected from these.....so called persons, then I gladly accept.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

What the hell is wrong with you people?

I'm not speaking about my children, but there are way too many that are not monitored.

You guys can feel what you want about me.... but I don't understand why people are blaming parents for the actions of sick individuals. It just completely blows my mind.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by GreenGlassDoor

Your theory would be all fine and good if pedophiles could be reformed.
They can’t be.
Ever.

*P*E*A*C*E*

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:23 PM
link   
reply to post by TARBOX

See, weather you knew it or not, your repeated tatements of "What if it was YOUR kid" are in fact a form of fear mongering. I never stated that you intended it. Statements like the one you keep making can only have two responses. People agree with you or they don't. The only reason they agree is cause they are suddenly affraid of looking like they don't care about children, and thus get attacked the way you responded to me.

You want to protect children? Do something about it, set up a center to talk to kids whose parents are morons and won't teach them how to protect themselves from the world. Complaining about it on the internet does nothing. You want to set up an online place to teach childrena bout the dangers onhe internet, I and many like me would be there in a hearbeat, but complaining bout it does nothing. By the way, you might get some of the scum off the net, but the ones in high places, like the judges that let them go because they are secretly a child f*&^%, those you won't get rid of.

Again, do something about it, but don't throw out loaded statements attempting to get people to agree with you.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by jsobecky
I just jumped into this thread, so forgive me if this has been discussed.

It would seem that the law would be struck down on the basis of the 5th Amendment. No one should be forced to provide incriminating evidence against themself.

Yeah....it has been fought in court once, and the individual won. In all reality, it is against the constitution, but really, who pays attention to it these days?

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TARBOX

I wasn't blaming you at all. I'm blaming the parents who are too lazy to monitor their children's activities on the net. It's not that hard. I'm only talking about the internet here. Life, I'm sure, is much harder.

I agree with you about child sex offenders. My brother, myself and my sister were all victims of a sex offender. So please don't get on your high horse here. But, it still happened to us even when the internet wasn't around.

Point is that child sex offenders shouldn't be let back into society once found out. But, that shouldn't mean that everyone who gets caught urinating in public should have their life destroyed also.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:30 PM
link   

reply to post by TARBOX

Again, do something about it, but don't throw out loaded statements attempting to get people to agree with you.

For 25 years I was a Child Advocate and Human Rights Officer for abused children in the New England area. So believe it or not, I DO know what I am talking about and have done plenty about it.

But see, you didn't know that and assumed that I was just someone who knows nothing.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

They can’t be.
Ever.

*P*E*A*C*E*

I know that....and that is why either you keep them in jail for EVER, or they should not be allowed access to a computer.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:32 PM
link   

reply to post by TARBOX

For 25 years I was a Child Advocate and Human Rights Officer for abused children in the New England area. So believe it or not, I DO know what I am talking about and have done plenty about it.

But see, you didn't know that and assumed that I was just someone who knows nothing.

And you assumed that anyone that disagreed does not care about children, so i guess we were both wrong. If I may ask, are yous till a child advocate and human rights officer?

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Griff

Sorry Griff.....I understand.

And because of the laziness of some parents, and the fact that the perps get out of jail, something needs to be done.

Even the most successful parents can run into these types of problems.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by silo13

They can’t be.
Ever.

*P*E*A*C*E*

I know that....and that is why either you keep them in jail for EVER, or they should not be allowed access to a computer.

Thanks

Or kill them, that could work too.

You really want to know what to do with pedo's? Prisons are gonna overflow if you keep all of them for life.

Find an island, put thm on the island. Don't let them off. they can then stay on that island till they die. If they reproduce, tae their kids away. They are still prisoners even tho they are not in a conventiaonal prison.

Put some supplies onthe island so they can grow food. Put a ship out and have it work round the clock watching the island,nyone tries to escape gets shot, plain and simple. cheaper i the long run than housing someone for life in a maximum security prison and puting them in solitary cause they fear for their lives.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Even the most successful parents can run into these types of problems.

Yes. I wanted to stress this point also. My parents were/are great and definitely not lazy. But, it can still happen. And usually it is a family member as is what happened with us. But, I'm getting too personal now, so I'll just shut my mouth.

posted on Dec, 31 2008 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Easy way to usher in some new big brother laws. No one dares to object to them because they will be branded as 'defending pedofiles'. Then you can quietly extend the law to 'terrorist suspects' and such. Before you know you will have to hand over your passwords for jaywalking

<< 1  2    4 >>

join