It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Whats going on at yellowstone?

page: 641
<< 638  639  640    642  643  644 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

im a native of california in a way i was born near cobb mountain , moved away from there when i was a toddler then moved back to cali for almost 4 years,. i know but netherless i also know one day california will fall into the ocean ...

so feeling the earth move im used to it ..

as for YS lets get back on topic. shes been too quite in the past 3 months

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 12:42 PM
link   
This one just popped up on the list

Magnitude 3.0
Date-Time Sunday, December 26, 2010 at 15:53:54 UTC
Sunday, December 26, 2010 at 08:53:54 AM at epicenter
Time of Earthquake in other Time Zones

Location 44.718°N, 111.736°W
Depth 10.8 km (6.7 miles)
Region WESTERN MONTANA
Distances 40 km (25 miles) NW (308°) from Island Park, ID
50 km (31 miles) W (277°) from West Yellowstone, MT
53 km (33 miles) NE (43°) from Spencer, ID
379 km (236 miles) ENE (70°) from Boise, ID
441 km (274 miles) N (2°) from Salt Lake City, UT

Location Uncertainty horizontal +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles); depth +/- 0.3 km (0.2 miles)
Parameters NST= 55, Nph= 55, Dmin=5.7 km, Rmss=0.14 sec, Gp= 68°,
M-type=duration magnitude (Md), Version=2
Source Earthquake Studies Office, Montana Bureau of Mines and Geology

Event ID mb10169202

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Holy COW!!! Have you all been watching the graphs? Check out the plots for Mamoth hotsprings the past couple days.

quake.utah.edu...

Someone take a screen shot and post it on here please, I cant figure out how. ATS has changed about a million times since Ive been on here.

It has built up the past few days.

I was checking things out because of the other thread talking about hearing rumbling. I remembered some things that we had discussed before, and honestly I was expecting Rainier to be doing this NOT Yellowstone.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 07:35 PM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/c3f236607c5a.jpg[/atsimg]

wind?

edit on 29-12-2010 by berkeleygal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I dont think so. Not this time.

www.quake.utah.edu...

It might not be activity, but it sure looks like it. Whatever it is it is happening the same time of day since the 24th, and the activity on the 24th shows more signs of activity rather than wind or animals. Which leads me to believe they are all quake signatures.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 08:27 PM
link   
That, and the earthquake maps are completely lit up from the past 7 days. Kind of crazy to be honest. I have not seen this much activity in, well, I cant remember.

posted on Dec, 29 2010 @ 09:26 PM
link   
That one has got to be an equipment malfunction. I've seen it before, (many times) if you see something like that and you check surrounding stations and you don't see anything even remotely similar either in time or intensity, you know it's something with that particular station. That particular long strip of color seems to be an electronic thing, sometimes it will happen with all stations on a network. The uniformity is a dead giveaway. An actual seismic event (even a really big, really long one) will have some jagged peaks and valleys.

It looks to me like a series of calibration pulses. The electronic equivalent of kicking the machine until it behaves.

posted on Dec, 30 2010 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by quakewatcher

quake watchers right on this one ,its a huge malfunction . happens sometimes .

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by huntergatherer

Ominous thought.

posted on Dec, 31 2010 @ 08:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by alysha.angel
reply to post by quakewatcher

quake watchers right on this one ,its a huge malfunction . happens sometimes .
YA,
if the area was really seeing that much activity
I am sure it would be makin the news
and people would be leavin the park..

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by mrsdudara

As others have pointed out it is probably a fault, however the question is why is it relatively regular. That would be more suggestive of interference to me. That aside, if you see something that looks like massive activity always check an instrument nearby.

This is YHH which is the closest in the park to YMV, also for 01 Jan 2011

YHH.WY..EHZ.2011.001

You can see the local quake clearly but note NO problem/interference and plenty wind.

That plot is good for about 8 to 12 days after which it will self destruct (the data is no longer available on line)

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 11:15 AM
link   
latest update from YVO

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO OBSERVATORY MONTHLY UPDATE
Saturday, January 1, 2011 8:32 AM MST (Saturday, January 1, 2011 15:32 UTC)

YELLOWSTONE VOLCANO (CAVW #1205-01-)
44°25'48" N 110°40'12" W, Summit Elevation 9203 ft (2805 m)
Current Volcano Alert Level: NORMAL
Current Aviation Color Code: GREEN

During the month of December 2010, 80 earthquakes were located in the Yellowstone National Park region. The largest was a magnitude 2.3 event on December 27 at 11:36 PM MST, located about 22 miles east southeast of West Thumb, YNP. This earthquake was part of a small earthquake swarm that occurred December 27 - 28. The swarm consisted of 12 events with magnitudes 2.3 to 0.4.

Earthquake activity continues at background levels.

Ground Deformation Summary: Careful analysis of the Yellowstone GPS data shows that the period of accelerated Yellowstone caldera uplift, beginning in 2004, has decreased. Some GPS stations exhibit little change and others appear to reflect slight subsidence. A record of recent ground displacement can be found at:
pboweb.unavco.org...

volcanoes.usgs.gov...

posted on Jan, 2 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
I'm trying to be disciplined. But I want to rant. So I've decided to spare you all and write on the thread Puterman started for me. If you are inclined to follow my crazy train, then follow me to this place...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Teaser- mystery swarm of earthquakes in Arkansas.

Drilling? No says the experts.

1000 birds fall dead from the sky. In Arkansas.

Wierd.

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 11:36 AM
link   
100 000 fish kill in Arkansas.

www.cnn.com...

www.digitaljournal.com...

posted on Jan, 3 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I've solved the Arkansas mystery.

I've found the link which completes the puzzle.

Read it first on Robinesque Ruminations.

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Jan, 4 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Hello.

Something's brewing.

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Robin Marks

What's happening where?

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 04:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by PuterMan

I am curious Roald. Where does the figure of 10 times more energy come from, and how does the roof of the chamber deform without causing earthquakes?

Well, a study was conducted by Puskas, Smith, University of Utah postdoctoral fellow Wu-Lung Chang and former Utah researcher Chuck Meertens, now at UNAVCO, a consortium that studies deformation of Earth's crust. Measurements also were made by the National Park Service, U.S. Geological Survey, Idaho National Laboratory, Brigham Young University, MIT and the National Geodetic Survey. Smith estimated the participants spent about $2.3 million for the 17 years of measurements.

During the new study, Puskas converted GPS-measured ground movements and records of historic earthquake magnitudes into a quantity known as a "moment," which measures the energy expended to deform the landscape. That allowed her to compare total ground deformation measured by GPS with ground deformation caused by quakes.

She found the ground-moving energy of Yellowstone's frequent, mostly small quakes was overpowered 10-to-1 by the energy generated from other ground-moving forces. Those include the Yellowstone hotspot's bulging uplift of the landscape, smaller volcanic ups and downs within the caldera, relaxation of the ground after quakes, and Basin-and-Range stretching of Earth's crust that ultimately will generate future quakes.

Smith says the fact non-seismic forces to overwhelm quake energies by 10-to-1 "means there is much more energy related to active volcanic processes of uplift and extension of the Earth's surface."

I feel you have a bit of a contradiction. You say that the caldera is under pressure but not producing earthquakes, yet you say small quakes weaken the roof.

Yellowstone's crust is an elastic brittle solid. So initially a compressive stress will cause a recoverable reduction in volume of the crust (this is known as elastic strain). It the stress continues to increase, there will be a small degree of plastic (unrecoverable) deformation until the strength of the crust is exceeded. At this point either a fracture (which will be recorded as a quake) will form creating a new fault or as the Yellowstone's crust is already significantly fractured and faulted, it is more likely that movement will occur along a pre-existing fault.

You should be aware that if the roof is under pressure then the piezo-electric signal should be strong - something I believe you have been/are involved with using a satellite? I would actually like to know how you measure that signal. All earthquakes are as the result of stress, but you only get excessive stress when plates/faults are locked.

The big excitement in this area has been caused by measurements of low frequency electronic signals a few hours before the Loma Prieta earthquake in California in 1989. Despite repeated attempts, attempts to detect similar signals have not produced reliable predictions.

Anyway, For some time, earthquakes and piezoelectrics have been associated, and it is generally postulated the effect was associated with quartz-bearing rock. Earthquake lights are often cited as evidence of the piezoelectric output, but little is known on how the electric charge associated with an earthquake moves in the earth and what determines its polarity.

The big 1960 Chilean and 1964 Alaska earthquakes produced observable effects in the ionosphere and serious studies have been underway to identify the mechanism.

Right now I'm more into studying data from Moderate Resolution Imaging Spectroradiometer (MODIS) onboard National Aeronautical Space Agency (NASA) Terra and Aqua satellites.

since earthquakes are physical phenomena, it can be expected that science will find some predictive qualities to forecast the behavior of seismic activity. The most promising area of research is seismo electromagnetic science, which monitors and analyses the subtle effects in the earth and ionosphere that occur several hours to several days before major earthquakes. This area of science may very well provide the foundation for earthquake forecasting.
QUAKEFINDER

edit on 5/1/2011 by Roald because: (no reason given)

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   

posted on Jan, 5 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
reply to post by Roald

Thanks for the response Roald. I shall have to research further.

I already had the quakefinder site address.

top topics

<< 638  639  640    642  643  644 >>

join