It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

fresh for NASA

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:05 PM
link   
reply to post by internos

I already checked.
www.met.tamu.edu...
ID 1F093002

The left (IR) image of the pair does not show that thingy but it does show one higher in the image.

[edit on 12/16/2008 by Phage]

On second look, the spot on the IR image appears in all the frames.

[edit on 12/16/2008 by Phage]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Thank you, Phage: i came to the same conclusion about that bright dot.
This animation was made with all the SURFACE STEREO IMAGER LEFT | SOL 132, 20 frames:

This bright dot is definately something on the lens:
it appears on 20 frames over 20 in the same relative position, meaning that it's something on the lens: there's no way that it's something else.

Some frames show something else:

Frame # 7:

Frame # 18:

SURFACE STEREO IMAGER RIGHT | SOL 132, 10 frames:

Found the frame in question:

Here is it:
phoenix.lpl.arizona.edu...

[edit on 16/12/2008 by internos]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 03:01 PM
link   
an error in the transmission that happens to have the correct shading for the sky/sun angle? Not likely but good info nonetheless!

Originally posted by Deaf Alien

Something could be there whether it's in the sky or a dust on the lens, or an error in the transmission.

[edit on 16-12-2008 by atsbeliever]

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:44 PM
link   

Hi,
when you say "something else" (I too saw them in 2 frames) do you mean are they also something on the lens again?

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 05:57 PM
link   
There's actually 2 frames that have objects in them. It's still not enough to get me off...

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 06:37 PM
link   
It would be nice if ASU would post the raw data images in a higher resolution that the cameras are well capable of. But if thats all we got, it will do.

Good find!

Unfortunately, not your fault OP, but because of the image format, there is too much pixilzation and not enough frame images to really come to any conclusion. Filed in unsolved.

Cheers!!!!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 12:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by commodore64

Hi,
when you say "something else" (I too saw them in 2 frames) do you mean are they also something on the lens again?

Well, they appear (each one) in a single frame, then vanish: so it couldn't be confirmed that it's comething on the lens.

The best thing that can be done is to compare the two images taken in the same moment from the two cameras:

Pair # 1 | 10:24:38 (the one of the OP is to the right)

In this case, since the object was caught only from the right camera, it can be ruled out that is something far away, in the horizon: the left camera, in the same moment, didn't catch anything, and this is a clear indication that watever it was, it was VERY close to the lens of the SSI right.

Pair # 2 | 10:29:13

In this case, the second object, the one visible in the middle here

only appears in the SSI left: same as above.

Pair # 3 | 10:32:35

Also in this case, the second object, visible close to the sticky one, is not confirmed by the SSI right.

Basically, all three images show something of very small and extremely close to the lens (of the right or the left SSI): so close that it didn't enter the range of sight of the other camera, which is very close. My guess is dust particles just because nothing else comes to mind that could explain it better.

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 03:10 AM
link   

Great explanation imho, thanks.

Even if its dust particles always amazing pictures

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by internos
If the object was spotted by both cameras then we can rule out dust on lens, and this is very important in this type of images.

happy hunting, and GREAT find OP, whatever it will turn out to be

Great point. I only see it in the left camera image but nowhere to be found in the right. That can only mean one thing - it's very small and very close to the left camera, probably a piece of dust, either on the lens or floating near the lens.

*nevermind, didn't see that there was a second page, doh

[edit on 17-12-2008 by ngchunter]

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 11:01 AM
link   
Indeed there is artifacts, but they are there because some object entered the picture, and the artifacts are from that object.

Best regards.

Loke.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join