It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Humming causing me sleepless nights!! Taos hum? at set times every night?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I feel like I'm going insane! Every evening between 12 and 4 am there seems to be this wierd low pulsating hum and it keeps me awake.

I have walked around the house and switched off all the electronics ( So they are not on standby), but nothing helps! Its definitly not my ears, cause after about 4 to 4:30 it always stops like clockwork, and then there is this distinct peaceful quiet. I can even sleep when traffic starts early in the morning, but this hum just does my head in!

I cannot seem to find the source neither the direction its coming from. It's like its coming from everywhere, but nowhere at the same time.
It's not loud enough to record yet is enough to drive me crazy!

I am thinking of sleeping with earplugs but feel kinda off guard and unsafe doing that!

I have actually decided to get up and do a search and saw there are a few threads on the Toas hum. I live in london by the way!

Does anyone know if this so-called taos hum only hums at these early morning hours?

Any insight or help (besides earplugs) would be appreciated!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:35 PM
link   
3AM is the most active paranormal hour, at least from my personal experiences. You are probably experiencing a ghost a.k.a. spirit of the dead. They feed off of electronics and even having them plugged in can allow them to communicate through them should they feel so fit.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
Do you live near any cellphone towers?
Or any kinf of transmission towers at all?
Airport?
Military base?
Anything that could be producing a signal from outside your house?

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
I'm not sure how old you are, or if you remember your childhood much..

but remember when your parents were vacuuming the carpet and the vacuum cleaner made the humming noise, most kids mimic the sound until they resonate with it, it gives you an odd feeling, .. there are audio technologies out there that do this using two different tones in each ear, and the way the brain works it creates a 3rd tone... (Hemisync, Brainsync, Holosync) The Monroe institute, ..

The reason I am going this direction is because if you can't find the source you might as well make it easier for you to sleep.. and by trying to resonate with the sound will help you drift off to sleep, lots of people use chanting or humming or something similar for meditation, this could be a good opportunity for you to learn something new.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:23 PM
link   
reply to post by PuRe EnErGy

Hi Pure energy

well im early 30's, and at first thought it was my ears, but then started noticing that it distinctly starts and stops between 12 and 4am. Every time it stops its like I can think clearly again. And sleep for that matter...

I get what you are saying about the chanting, but this sound even wakes me up! I can clearly feel it vibrating, so not sure if the chanting will have a lasting effect, if you know what I mean!

There doesn't seem to be much info on the subject. At least I have read enough to know that im not alone and that im not going insane.

What i did find very interesting is that some "hummers" have claimed that over christmas and boxing day it goes away! The mind can only boggle about the source!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 09:33 PM
link   
Now that you mention it, I also get a weird pulsating sound in my ears early in the morning. Mine don't generally last hours, but maybe half an hour or less. The ones I hear sound like a 'pulsing' hum every second or so, kind of like if you were listening to helicopter blades or fan blades, except there is nothing in the sky.

I just chalk it up to some kind of vibrations caused by maybe a train or something in the distance.

[edit on 11-12-2008 by ragnarak]

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 10:16 PM
link   
Well its just turned 4 am and the hum seems to have died down somewhat, might be able to sleep soon hooray!

I used my insomnia trying to find info..lol.

I found this next website very interesting for those who want to read more.

homepages.tesco.net...

Think I'll go make some hot chocolate and hopefully after that it has completely gone!

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 07:17 AM
link   
I found this next graph on Tesco.net

what astonishes me is that so many people suffer"the Hum"

Yet the only financing (I can find) into this phenomenon has been £50 000 ($80 000) to date.

and even worse, no source or even possible sources have been identified!

posted on Dec, 12 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
I think I hear way too many hums to distinguish any one hum, I mean. .my space heater hums, my hard drives hum, my monitor hums, my fridge and under certain unmentionable substances you get to hear how intensely your very own body hums and gurgles along.

Could this be scope related? .. like the level at which people are hearing things?

I remember I used to get spurts where I'd hear what I'd call pure silence, it was rather odd and other times when I've also had hums, at those times in my life I was rather directed in my thinking, interested or absorbed with some thing or another and I attributed my silence and hum to that and nothing in particular that was externally creating it...

Although to approach it from that direction as many people have mentioned cell phone towers and power lines .. umm transformer boxes (some streets or town housing areas have those)... a large amount of water flowing underground, wind passing thru or by something, .. it could also be something the government has set up to control large populations, because I do know they have experimented and used various auditory technologies in combat (Noriega and the Nowhere to run song) aside from the hilarity of the song itself they were using ultrasonics or some sort of technology behind the music that the human ear doesn't pick up but it still effects the persons brainwaves activity or some scientific mumbo jumbo I don't know.

But by any means there are many possible causes for this.. my solution though is to try and resonate with it..
if you can't beat them, join them type attitude.. because getting pised off isn't going to help you fall asleep any faster.. lol but repeating a meaningless task like humming along with it will help you fall asleep faster.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 03:02 PM
link   
reply to post by corvin77

people in south wales had the same problem

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 04:24 PM
link   
reply to post by corvin77

there is research connecting infrasound to weather, temperature change, geology, animal communications, etc.

we're not supposed to be able to hear it - too low for our hearing range - but we can feel it apparently

here's and interesting site: www.spacedog.biz...

INFRASOUND - A PRIMER
Sound is, quite simply, a vibration that the human ear can detect. One note will sound higher than another if it vibrates the air at a faster rate (in other words, at a higher frequency). We’re used to talking about the visible light spectrum - the range of colours that the human eye can see. Acousticians also think of sound in spectral terms. As sound rises in pitch, from bass to treble, it moves across the audible spectrum. Just as there is infrared and ultraviolet at the cusps of the visible spectrum, there is infrasound and ultrasound at the fringes of the spectrum of audible sound.

Infrasound lies at the extreme bass end of our hearing range. It’s usually defined as a vibration that occurs fewer than 20 times a second. Humans (unlike some other animals) don’t communicate with infrasound and are not very good at detecting it. But infrasound isn’t always inaudible. To understand why, it’s worth knowing more about human sensitivity to sound.

Physicists measure frequency in units called hertz (Hz) and call a thousand hertz one ‘kilohertz’ (kHz). Most physics textbooks say we can hear airborne vibrations that occur between 20 and 20,000 times a second (20 - 20kHz). But in truth, this is a gross simplification. Hearing varies from person to person, with countless factors influencing the range of frequencies that any one of us can detect. Your age and genetic makeup play a part — so do many other variables, such as the time you’ve punished your ears in foundries or heavy metal concerts and the amount of wax in your ears.

Rather than cutting off sharply at 20Hz and 20kHz, our hearing ability fades gradually as we approach these frequency limits. A piano’s bottom note C, for example, vibrates at roughly 33Hz, a frequency near the edge of our hearing range. Top C on the piano vibrates at around 4190Hz, a mid-range frequency where human hearing is extremely acute. To seem as loud as top C, bottom C needs to make a sound that is roughly a thousand times more powerful (in acoustic terms, 30dB louder). In general, extreme bass and treble sounds need more power than mid-range sounds, in order to cross the ‘threshold of hearing’ – the minimum loudness that can be heard. With enough volume, even sounds that lie outside the often quoted ‘20 to 20k’ frequency range can be heard. This is true of infrasound.

Infrasound clearly lies on the cusp of our perception, rather than outside it. But our experience of infrasound is still a mysterious issue. When we sense these vibrations, what do we actually hear? Researchers at University of Salford asked this when they tested our ability to hear low frequencies in 1967. Subjects described the sensation of infrasound as ‘rough’, a ‘popping effect’. Infrasound below 5Hz was described as a ‘chugging or ‘whooshing’, a sensation they could ‘feel’. (Yeowart, Bryan and Tempest, 1967) The chance to hear infrasound in a large auditorium seems very enticing. But the hypothesis that infrasound can affect people’s mood intrigues us even more. The existence of infrasound, in sacred music and reputedly haunted sites, makes an exploration of infrasound and mood all the more fascinating.

THE INFRASONIC ZOO
Far from being an exotic phenomenon, infrasound is with us all the time. We continually bathe in a sea of barely perceptible, ambient infrasonic noise. Sometimes described as the ‘infrasonic zoo’, most of this is generated by natural processes and events: thunderstorms, earth tremors, ocean waves, volcano eruptions and curious phenomena such as meteor impacts, aurora and ‘sprites’ (sudden electrical discharges in the upper atmosphere).

Human activity also contributes to background infrasound. Deep below the rumble of city traffic, there is a cacophony of very-low-frequency noise from factories, lorry engines, fireworks, passing aircraft, distant quarrying and many other human sources. In 1957, the French physicist Vladimir Gavreau highlighted this overlooked noise pollution, citing it as a possible cause of city dwellers’ stress. (Gavreau, Condat and Saul, 1966)

maybe people who are hearing a hum are hearing or sensing something that's fairly common - natural

though they do explain that there are man made sources of infrasound

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Is it a high pitch or a low pitch. The potential sources are different.

posted on Dec, 20 2008 @ 05:25 PM
link   
We get something similar here in Vegas. But it's just a diesel train that sits idling for a couple of hours at night. I can only hear it when conditions are right as it's about 10 miles from here.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I have many times thought I was going crazy when I'd hear various hums, sounds and voices.

Being that this happens at particular times on a repeating cycle, I would think that if it's not stopped by completely stopping power from entering the house via the breaker box, then it is simply vibrations caused by some power supply used for street lights or other nocternally applicable device and your home is simply acting as a speaker.

On the other hand, if this happens only when power is entering your home, there are things to look for. 1)The control power of the heating and air conditioning system. When this is on, it can resinate through the entire home while very difficult to hear it up close. 2)The automatic defroster of many newer refridgerator/freezers, usually runs daily at a time of reduced activity to keep fridge free of ice build up. 3)Any electrical device in or near the home can resinate and be amplified through any number of various factors including ductwork, floor joists, windows, etc..

Sounds are simply vibrations with different frequencies. Even the smallest electrical device is still electric, and that results in electron flow which has frequency. Being you only hear it at night means that either it is there all the time, but masked by more dominant frequencies during the day, or, its timer related or photo optically controlled.

However, I do believe with all my heart, that our governments are secretly programing us while we sleep using electric lines to carry frequency manipulated signals that to most are inaudible, yet the brain still hears quite well and is subliminally processed.

Perhaps all the people who claim they hear voices in their head are in fact hearing what the government wants them to hear. I have heard the voices myself, and what I heard was quite disturbing. What I heard was an electronic synthesized voice saying that what they were doing was necessary and that there was nothing we could do about it and that it would all be over shortly. Needless to say, I'm doing everything I can to research the current technologies that would enable such a thing to happen and so far my findings have affirmed that there is something very sinister taking place on this planet that they dont want us to know about until it is too late.

Hope this helps everyone who suffers the same or similar occurances. Remember, if you suspect your government is trying to brainwash or control you, chances are, they are. Don't let them. Fight back. Take back what is rightfully yours, your mind.

posted on Dec, 23 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
What you describe is just about exactly what happened to me, it was something you could feel as well as hear. It turned out to be a large rotating dryer at a cement works 10 miles away. Just finding out was a relief even though it didn't stop the noise.

posted on Jan, 10 2009 @ 05:18 AM
link   
I live in Norfolk England and I can hear it too. I hear it mostly at night. It's everywhere in the house. I sounds like a heavy lorry changing gear to get up a hill in the distance or someone blowing over an empty glass bottle. I cannot hear it if I go outside, it is only audible in the house. I have switched things off, but I can still hear it. I hear it all times of the day, but generally other noises in the day hide it. When there are no other noises around I ask my husdand and daughter to listen, but they can't hear it. I know it is not in my head because when I stick my fingers in my ears it blocks the sound. The sound is erratic. Sometimes it lasts for 30 seconds, other times 2 or 3. It always stops suddenly without fading. I went to Wales and heard it there too, except the noise was more audible outside. The noise is always at the same pitch and I am always aware of it when the surroundings are quiet. I was pleased to find other people wondering about it too, as I thought I was the only one.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 08:54 AM
link   
reply to post by ashamedamerican

Problem is, it's not "outside" that you hear it. Only inside. It seems to come from the ground, and to be amplified by the house. I lived in a flat-top and only occasionally heard a hum, a steady hum. Now, in my new place with a pointy roof I hear this pulsing hum, and it's ongoing – not only at night. It's just that in the daytime I'm usually distracted by other noises. It is very jarring in its subtle ultra-low way.

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 09:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

You may think this sounds crazy, but it could be heavy machinery operating in deep underground bases that are all over the US. I have heard it too, up near Wright-Patterson Air Force Base in Northern Ohio. I was a mechanic, and it sounds to me like a lot of machinery running at high speed. Are you aware of the underground bases at all?

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Here's: a thought. I happen to have quite interesting hearing. When I was younger I caught the concussion from an exploding water heater scarring my ear drums, afterwards strong winds would lead to strong earaches leading to more lesions on the drums and, sometimes, hospitalization. I've had tubes in my ears aplenty, and, as a kid, I'd sometimes dig in my ears and had caused some of the tubes to fall into my ears scratching the drums. Hence, the hospitalization to remove them. Further, for some old world reason I'll never know, my mother would clean wax out of my ears with the curved end of a bobby pin, that, and my childish jerking around while she did, caused further scratches to the drums.
As a pre- teen, the earaches and difficulties went away. What resulted from it all is what they call extreme bilateral tymphanostrophy. That is, exteme scarring and lesions of the eardrum.
I've seen my eardrums on color monitors before, typically, a healthy drum is yellowish in color and smooth, uniform, and free of defects. Mine are yellowish, but, are coated in an intricate web of white lesion lines all over them. On account of this, I should have little to no hearing.
It's not uncommon for old people, factory workers and the like to have these lesions, but they suffer hearing loss due to it. Mine make theirs look mild, yet, on account of my hearing, not only did I merit articles and research by hearing professionals, but, became highly qualified as a Sonar Operator because I could hear Acoustics that instructors and seasoned veterans could not. Sometimes finding things which the advanced computers did not readily detect with considerable enhancements, like a submarine trailing a merchant on a training audio meant only to let you hear what that particular merchant ship sounded like.
As it happens, my lesions are unique, they form in such a way as to amplify and enhance sound rather than to distort and destroy it. How long it will work to my advantage, who knows, one wrong lesion and I'm deaf.
I have the ability to hear ultra high frequencies out of my left ear and ultra low frequencies out of my right, with average sound ranges permitted by both ears. When tested I not only accurately responded to the test machine's internal pre- test, but also recited to the hearing doctor's their discussion about where they were getting their lunch from, both machine and doctors are located outside of the sound proof booth were I was testing. I was in the back corner away from the door and in a group of testers on my first test, and alone for my three or four follow up tests. You'll be surprised what kind of noises you can learn to ignore.
For instance, did you know the Soviets have transponder arrays located in the Pacific and Atlantic Oceans which send out rhythmically tuned frequencies in the 40-60 hz. range designed to agitate humans by targeting these signals so as to bombard the Continents, particularly the US, with a constant 24/7 transmission of these signals. Being in London, you may be close enough to these signals to be affected by them.
For the National Oceanographic Institute I found a gray whale mating with another gray whale and her one yr. old cub was alongside her. This is odd because the cub usually seperates by that point and goes off on it's own, and had never before been known, much less recorded, to be with the mother during mating season, much less the actual mating process. We trailed it for 3 days of constant recording and sound files. The really interesting part here is that I heard the whales. It took the others a special tape deck slowing what I heard down 2-4 times normal speed to hear the ultra- low frequencies I was listening to. It took some convincing for me to get them to analyze the trace I was hearing.
Once, I even heard and located a merchant ship 500 km. out from us. It took zooming in on the trace I was listening to before the faint harmonic lines of the transmission could even fuzzily be seen. It took surfacing the submarine and getting satellite confirmation that, indeed, I was right in what I was hearing.
Now, as a youth, I learned early on that electric wires hum, especially at night when most circuits are closed (lights are off, TV's off, etc.) the electricity sort of backs up in the lines awaiting to either be discharged locally or be called back into the power grid for distribution elsewhere. Now, electricity, like water and all things in Nature, is lazy- always opting for the path of least resistance. That means it will stay stationary unless given a path to travel which doesn't require much of it. Which is why you get a loss of power the further from the power source you take the line. There is such a thing as too much cable, electricity simply doesn't want to do the work involved in all that travel.
What's more, televisions and the like will emit a hum after they are turned off simply because they are discharging residual energy in the components and lines. And, unless unplugged, appliances, tv, and the like will retain a minimum charge.
Add to all of this that Sound, like all things in Nature, is lazy- always seeking the path of least resistance. It will build in the corners of rooms where it will merge, amplify, and sound as if it comes from everywhere at once. The closer your head is to the center of the room, the more peaceful you will sleep. Take my advice and try it. I don't know the source of your sound, but, if that doesn't help or soften it, then the sound is doubtful an external one. You may well be in the early stages of tinninitus.
Not that analog, digital, and cavitational (noise created by the displacement of air molecules. Ie. fan blades, motors, rotors, propellers, both in the air and submerged in liquids)noise, etc., blanketing the world don't really help much either.]

[edit on 11-1-2009 by PhyberDragon]

[edit on 11-1-2009 by PhyberDragon]

posted on Jan, 11 2009 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Very interesting Phyber - Thank you. I have an unusual hearing range, and hear things that other people cannot all the time. People would think I was crazy if it weren't for the fact that I can pin point the source of the "sound" usually in the vicinity. (dog fences, mice deterent electronics, old tvs, security systems, new cell towers.....).

It is much like smell - if you live in the vicinity of a strong smell like sulfur you will stop smelling it after a while. You just get used to, and then ignore, sounds.

Your advice is great. It probably would have taken me a couple more years to figure out that last tidbit about sleeping with your head closer to the centre of the room.

Appreciate it!

<<   2 >>

join