It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three Famous South African Ghost Stories

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 07:11 AM
link   
I read the recent thread on the girl hitching a ride and that inspired me to post the following thread:

The most famous South African ghost - allegedly seen by a future King of England:
1. The Flying Dutchman

Captain Hendrik van der Decken, of Holland, wanted to sail past the Cape of Storms (Cape Town) but apparently the weather was horrid and it was Good Friday or something, he cursed and swore at the weather and made an oath to that he will sail past the Cape even is he has to try until the end of days. Well as long as there is an ocean, the "Flying Dutchman" will sail the seas and try to get past the Cape of Storms. It is said that when another ship approaches the Dutchman and accepts the letters it hands over to post they will suffer a major accident. The ship has been sighted and recorded by King George V and his brother Albert. Thus the sighting of the ship promised a future of impending doom.

Link

2. The Uniondale Ghost

The girl and her fiancé was driving on his motorbike on Easter weekend on the road to Uniondale. They made a major accident where she died, the fiancé survived and later married someone else. If, on a dark night during Easter you drive to Uniondale and see a smallish girl hitchiking and you happen to pick her up, usually the smell of appleblossom would accompany her. She would disappear sometime during the drive and only the smell of the flowers would remain. Other times if you become aware of the smell of appleblossoms while driving on that road you should know that the Uniondale Ghost had hitched a ride with you and she wishes to go back to her fiancé.

Link

The following ghost is of particular interest to me as my brother can relate a very frightening story when while visiting his girlfriend on a weekend pass from army they decided to test the story:
3. The De Deur Ghost

The origins of the story are that a local farmer was very protective of his pretty young daughter and discouraged all suitors. He became suspicious of her activities at night after he had retired to bed. He was positive that she was sneaking out of the house to be with a local lad that often zoomed up and down the dusty road on his noisy motorbike. No matter how closely he watched his daughter he was never able to catch them together. So he decided to set a trap that would teach the young man a lesson, and scare him off for good. He waited for a moonless night, and strung a piece of wire between two trees at about chest height across the driveway of the farm. That evening after the farmer had fallen sound asleep his daughter quietly slipped from her bed and flicked her bedroom light three times. This was the signal to her lover that the coast was clear and he could come and collect her. The young man sped along the road unaware of the danger. As he approached the house the wire caught him across the neck and he was instantly decapitated. Another version of the story claims that the young man did in fact collect the daughter, and that it was on their way back that the wire decapitated them both!

Link

My brother relates that a strange blue light came out of a nearby wood, circled the car a few times and when they got frightened and drove away at high speed it chased them - at one time even passing through the car as it overtook them.
He is not a guy to be easily frightened or to tell hoax ghost stories, he is a 6 foot 7 inch ex-bouncer and body builder but he said he would never go back there again.

posted on Dec, 10 2008 @ 09:29 PM
link   
That last story seems really twisted and disturbing but also could be real. There have been many similar stories in different countries of such gory trickery!!!

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 03:25 AM
link   
There are a lot of testimonies about the Uniondale Ghost indeed. Make for quite an interesting read.

I remember when I was a kid, my parents and their brothers & sisters always talked about the Uniondale Ghost. We we live in Gauteng, as where the Uniondale is in the Cape. Made the news papers a couple of times as well.

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 04:41 AM
link   
Great read! You can imagine "ghosthunters" sneaking around doing the locals heads in for the last two stories. Im going to read some more!

This thread has been getting really boring lately so its great to have something tidy to read!! Nice one (Star & Flagged)

posted on Dec, 11 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by daxman

Thank you ... I would really like to hear of paranormal stories from all parts of the world. The internet is our modern day equivalent of oral history and we need to keep these tales alive for future generations.

I expect to tell my grand children a few horror stories of when I was a young man (yeah right) during the Great Crash of '08

posted on Dec, 13 2008 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Yeah i thought about that. When we look back on 2008 and prob 2009 we will have a nickname about the credit crisis!! I think we will look back on it as being much worse than it really is.

posted on Dec, 15 2008 @ 11:51 PM
link   
And a story from my country Turkiye. Once this young guy from an Anatolian village went herding his sheep. He saw an incredibly pretty girl combing her long raven black hair next to the water spring where he was leading his herd to drink. He asked her who she was. She replies by saying she is the daughter of a hermit living in a cave and goes after a brief chat after only telling him her name: "Asheera". So after a few meetings at the same spring, the guy falls for her and decides to marry her. He talks to mom and dad who are at first reluctant but cannot resist their only son's pleas. They go to the told hermit to ask for his permission over the couple's marriage, who readily says OK. The couple marry and after a while, the young fella is drafted for his military service which in those years lasted 24 months. So after his military service is over, the guy comes back home eager to see his family and especially his beautiful bride. But something is terribly wrong. The village seems to be deserted. Only a few villagers are walking around and the once vast herds of sheep and cattle are almost next to none. The guy comes home to find his mother alone. He asks her about his father. She says "well son, we did not want to drown you in sorrow but he passed away last year. The son is devastated as his lovely wife tries to comfort her. That night the guy wakes up to find his wife absent in bed. He thinks nothing of it and goes back to sleep. The next morning while his bride is away, his mother comes and begs him to go. She says "run for your life before it's too late." He is dumbstuck. He says "why? what's wrong?" Mom says nothing but only "run". That same night, the bride is absent again. But something catches the guy's attention. Whenever the bride goes missing from bed, the next morning a funeral is being held for a villager or a few animals sheep, cattle or horses go missing. He starts thinking and decides to see what the heck this is all about. So one night he pretends he's asleep. Late in the night, he notices the bride carefully getting up, undressing stark naked and walking out of the bedroom. He silently and stealthily follows her thru the dark, into a barn of a neighboring fellow villager. As he hides behind stacks of hay, the bride walks thru the stalls where the animals are locked. She stops in front of a horse. The horse is bewildered. He tries to see better but soon he is sorry for trying to find out: that raving beauty suddenly transforms into some horror of a creature and enters the stall where the horse is.She rips the horses throat out and starts biting off huge chunks of flesh and gobble them down. He is overwhelmed by the grisly wok he witnesses but manages to grab a scythe. He sneaks in behind the creature which is now in a feeding frenzy. He yells at his once lovely bride. The creature turns around and sees the scythe and the menacing, impending deadly threat. All of a sudden it transforms into the lovely girl again. She says "you cannot kill your love can you honey?" She atempts to come closer to him and while she is cooing to him, her sound starts to change into a growl. He shakes himself from the drowsiness of her beauty and says "no". The growly sound now is victorious. "I knew it honey, we will be very happy together" He says "not with you" and swerves the scythe, cutting her in half. The bloodcurdling shreek wakes the whole village but noone attempts to come and look because they know all too well now, to tremble underneath their blankets in safer till next time. The upper half continues hissing and talking. She says he should kill her thoroughly, otherwise she would sooner or later be back to get him. She also adds that this a fair warning for sake of love she had for him. So he severs her head with another blow and it is all over. So is this true? I dunno. This is what a half mad hermit told me while I was changig a flat tire next to a spring. He said this was the spring where he saw her the first time !

posted on Dec, 16 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
How to catch a Guatemalan Ghost Rabbit

line up a bunch of bricks end to end at the edge of the forest.

sprinkle fresh black pepper across all the bricks.

the ghost rabbits will come out once you leave, curious to see.

they'll come and sniff the pepper and then sneeze and bang their heads on the bricks, knocking themselves out.

collect said rabbits and viola!

posted on Dec, 17 2008 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mozzy
How to catch a Guatemalan Ghost Rabbit

line up a bunch of bricks end to end at the edge of the forest.

sprinkle fresh black pepper across all the bricks.

the ghost rabbits will come out once you leave, curious to see.

they'll come and sniff the pepper and then sneeze and bang their heads on the bricks, knocking themselves out.

collect said rabbits and viola!

OH!! How I lolled

Nice one

new topics

top topics

join