It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

I'm sick of these new age people.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:05 AM
link   
I am sick of them trying to convince everyone that they can be spiritual because of quantum physics. Yes, quantum physics is mysterious and it does pose some philosophical questions that are certainly interesting but does that justify creating a whole new age religion based on psuedo-science? I am not a professional science working for a major physics laboratory but I understand Quantum Physics enough to know that it does not imply anything New-agy. I don't like how people are trying to spin Quantum Physics to talk about their random thoughts about what is and what isn't there, or, if there are other alternative Universes. I think these people should try to find their spirituality within themselves... and it shouldn't really affect them if there are alternative universes or not... they should be spiritual from within. That's what I've been saying all this time. Spirituality comes from yourself. I'm not that spiritualistic but I do have some spiritual beliefs that I've never learned from any religion or from any kind of phony book on this new age stuff. I do think that people need to stop saying that Quantum Physics is the new religion or that science has doctrines and stuff... people really need to stop BSing and start being more spiritual from within.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

New age is a broad spectrum and encompasses a lot more than just quantum physics you k now...

Quantum physics may be an offshoot of spirituality, but it does notmake people spiritual/

[edit on 7-12-2008 by asmeone2]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:12 AM
link   
reply to post by asmeone2

Yeah... but I used to really love all of this new age quantum physics stuff until I realized that most of it was BS and that the world is really a far more mysterious place than we realize that it is. If you followed this stuff as much as I did you would probably be upset at all of them for hoaxing a lot of things by passing opinions off of facts once you realized that this is all BS. I believe that these people are going about convincing to be more spiritual in the wrong way.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Frankidealist35]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
To me I think your comprehension of spirituality is narrow if you think it is bound by conceptual ideas like human science.

I believe you are making the mistake of generalizing the bull#. Just because there is a piece a glass in the sand doesn't mean we hate the beach.

My .02

AAC

[edit on 7-12-2008 by AnAbsoluteCreation]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

I don't hate spirituality. I just hate these new age people that talk about science and how it allows for so many opportunities to enhance their spiritual self yet at the same time they don't use real science to back up their claims. To me, all of their writings, or most of them, seem like the rambling of some drunk. I read a book by Sylvia Brown and I was outraged at how poor quality it was and it was what turned me against these new-age people.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35

Yeah... but I used to really love all of this new age quantum physics stuff until I realized that most of it was BS and that the world is really a far more mysterious place than we realize that it is. If you followed this stuff as much as I did you would probably be upset at all of them for hoaxing a lot of things by passing opinions off of facts once you realized that this is all BS. I believe that these people are going about convincing to be more spiritual in the wrong way.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Frankidealist35]

If a person is tgoing to reaxh "enlightenment" (which I assume is the ultimate goal for most) sooner or later they are going to come to a point wehere they realize that no man or book will tell them how to get there. THe BS is for the people that havent' realized that yet.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:24 AM
link   

That's what I've come to realize after I used to read all of this stuff. There is no real way for one to ever be truly enlightened. Anyone who thinks they can be completely enlightened is fooling themselves. I think what people are looking for more is how they can become more aware about the world around them I don't think they're looking for enlightenment. Complete enlightenment is impossible.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   

I think what people are looking for more is how they can become more aware about the world around them I don't think they're looking for enlightenment. Complete enlightenment is impossible.

how would you know this.....

i agree with what youre saying for the most part, except this.

please clarify.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:31 AM
link   
I'm not really sure where you get your information but quantum physics is not pseudoscience. As I understand it, it's actually more important than the theory of general relativity. I suppose it could pose some philosophical questions, but more importantly it describes the fundamental nature of the universe.

There is a debate about string theory, or superstring theory being science or philosophy, due to the fact that we may never be able to test a "string" in a laboratory, but I wouldn't even call string theory pseudoscience. It's more along the lines of theoretical physics.

Someone stop me if I am wrong about that please, I don't claim to know everything but I'm pretty sure I got my head wrapped around that one well enough.

With that being said, there are times that "new age" people can get on my nerves too, and you are right spirituality does come from within any buddhist could tell you that.

Can you give an example of someone claiming that quantum physics is "new-agy" as you put it? It might also be helpful if you explain what you would describe as "new age."

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
reply to post by pureevil81

I think it's completely unrealistic and impossible for one to be enlightened all the time. I think you can reach certain levels of enlightenment but it's impossible to reach the highest state of enlightenment. There are those people that claim to be very enlightened finally at peace with themselves but it's funny because a lot of people who say that end up killing themselves. I think it's completely impossible to be enlightened with yourself because of all the so many things that we as the human race can accomplish and I don't think anyone would be able to ignore all of these amazing feats we are capable of without isolating themselves completely from the human race. I think that those that say they are enlightened who do isolate themselves are not enlightened because they don't know what it's like to be part of society. I think therefore that people will only reach certain levels of enlightenment but it's impossible for anyone to be truly enlightened as these people say it is.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:34 AM
link   
reply to post by ashamedamerican

I never said that Quantum Physics is psuedo-science. I'm just saying that these people are using psuedo-science to justify their new age way of thinking about Quantum Physics. Science has endless possibilities, but, when a non-scientific religious or spiritual nut rants about Quantum Physics like they think they know what they are talking about I'm not interested.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 12:45 AM
link   

Yes, quantum physics is mysterious and it does pose some philosophical questions that are certainly interesting but does that justify creating a whole new age religion based on psuedo-science?

I guess I misunderstood where you were going with that.

it's impossible to reach the highest state of enlightenment.

With all due respect you're stating something that no human could claim to know, I think you may have also just verbally slapped buddhism and Gautama Buddha himself across the face.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:02 AM
link   

reply to post by ashamedamerican

I never said that Quantum Physics is psuedo-science. I'm just saying that these people are using psuedo-science to justify their new age way of thinking about Quantum Physics. Science has endless possibilities, but, when a non-scientific religious or spiritual nut rants about Quantum Physics like they think they know what they are talking about I'm not interested.

If Quantum Physics tries to understand the nature of the universe, and spirituality being the tailor for articulating the nature of the universe, then why not fuse them to conjure up an inspiring and creative non-ending tale of creation? Wouldn't that be a nice way of getting along in the future.

Why give them the time of day if as you say they are, non-scientific. If you know science get to know spirit, and in reverse.

Edit: spelling

[edit on 7-12-2008 by Moegli]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:32 AM
link   
To frank

All action initiates from within, things are never themselves they are always changing. Nothing is stopped, so nothing is certain. "Quantum" physic has merely shown us that we constantly pierce the depths of our minds if anything. There is only connection, no gaps exist in the enigma, the electric fractal reality we seem to occupy.

Things are as large as they are small, the area of a universe inside a grain of salt,there is no absolute size. like a microchip, templated structures losing and gaining energy that only vibrates when it is coupled with light (where the light originates is up to the thinker.) The route electric current takes is determined by the structure of local magnetism.

These are not good words for you though I guess.?

The next key on a scale after the highest one is the lowest. There is not much a difference from the adept practitioner of an art and the lowest. The master forgets what he learns, it is absorbed and the mind doesn't stop to assess, it executes dutily, just as the initiate acts freely albeit improperly. The apprentice halts himself in every action to align his capacities, to gain assurance in his study, he is easily overcome.

The highest state of realization is right in front of our eyes. Enlightenment is light itself. We allow dust to settle so to speak on ourselves so we do not reflect ultimate realization, ensuring a proper iteration of existence.

The highest state of realization is right in front of our eyes. Enlightenment is light itself.

The trees know their task, do we?

edit

This guy, paul laffoley, makes some cool art. Alot of it looks like a new system of maths.

[edit on 7-12-2008 by depth om]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:55 AM
link   
reply to post by depth om

Quantum Physics does not show us about the mind. Quantum Physics does not tell us anything about our mind. Anyhow, this excerpt from a description of a book really explains how I feel about these gurus.

If we take Chopra’s work as an example, Damien sums it up as resting on three basic premises: 1) “His claim of having “proved” the grand unified theory (which even Einstein, Feynman, Hawking, and others have failed to do)”. 2) “Three Hindu mind-body principles (doshas), which bear a curious resemblance to the “mug-shots” of humans found in paper place mats in cheap Chinese restaurants.” 3) “Reciting the poetry and prose of dozens of Eastern and Western writers and making the questionable claim that the meaning in different art forms and in science is simply one and the same.” Damien devotes considerable ink in dissecting these elements and proving that basically Chopra is a master at the juxtaposition of words in order to produce the effect of possessing some meaning.

What is quite interesting is that there are no easy answers as to why so many people buy the products put out by Chopra and his colleagues. Perhaps, it is due to the fact that many individuals are looking for a quick fix without putting in too much effort to resolve their problems. Damien states: “In the Web Age, accessing data has been equated to intelligence; processing data is considered uncool.”

Essentially, as stated, Chopra interweaves unrelated ideas, non-ideas, recipes, exercise routines, chanting, and oil baths and sells it as science-scripture. His followers are not very interested in questioning his methods or philosophy as after all it does contain traces of science, religion, poetry, or anything else you can dream of, et voilà, they are now educated and they can return home much enlightened.

Throughout the book, Damien makes a very convincing argument that too many of us have been hoodwinked into swallowing the gospel of these “gurus.”Their self-help techniques are nothing more than a monotonous and brash pimping of the English Language. It is questionable if any of their followers have in fact benefited from their pimping, as it is extremely difficult to measure it due to the haziness surrounding their methods.[/quote[
www.bookpleasures.com...

No, and I don't like the words you used to describe quantum physics. I also don't think light is enlightenment. It is just not possible to be completely enlightened... you can't be completely enlightened and still experience life. Complete enlightenment would be death.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Our perception is not absolute, light, this electric soup.. is, it is what is.

edit -our perception thus our instruments...

[edit on 7-12-2008 by depth om]

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   

reply to post by AnAbsoluteCreation

I read a book by Sylvia Brown and I was outraged at how poor quality it was and it was what turned me against these new-age people.

Talking of poor quality... that's some 'poor quality' thinking right there. You read a book by an individual but it turned you against "people", as in people plural?

Thanks a worryingly similar mechanism to '...and that's why I'll never trust women again' or '...now you know why I hate blacks' and so on.

As for your point about quantum physics, I could understand your point if you'd have talked about something like 'vibrations' and 'frequencies' &c. which often get wheeled-out as a fuzzy, elusive scientific 'proof' that is never, really elaborated on fully or elaborated on, but often doesn't make scientific sense.

However, quantum physics? I think that poses a couple of problems in this scenario. Firstly, for every 'new-ager' that uses quantum physics as the science-y side of what they believe and, for whatever reason, misunderstands what it's said to be all about, you're going to get someone else saying "no, science says (insert statement here), therefore there is no (insert subject here)" thinking they have a grasp on a particular scientific concept but don't. Science gets abused or misunderstood by all sides in this sense.

The other problem is that 'interpretation of quantum mechanics' does lend itself to a schools of thought, that in turn, influence various new age philosophies, whether it's determinism, many worlds or many minds and so on. When real science starts dealing with these kind of concepts, it's hardly surprising that people are going to jump on them as some kind of 'proof'. Isn't that really what science is for? The more 'abstract' science gets, the more it lends itself to this kind of thinking.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I don't have a thing against people who want to be enlightened I just hate these people that try to popularize it.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Merriman Weir

Science is meant for the benefit of humankind. I don't think it was intended to get people into the line of thinking like these gurus claim to think. I am not a theoretical physics major... I am majoring in political science... which is pretty much a social science... it is NOT a science in the way that theoretical physicist is so please don't expect me to respond with scientific answers all the time. Science is meant so we can go into space and so we can develop all these new technologies to benefit society. But, this one book I read by Sylvia Brown was the tipping point that caused me to get mad at them... it's not that I am against their ideas... it's that they scam so many people into buying so many books and their ideas have gotten into pop culture. They try to get people to think that quantum physics is about mysticism when it's about alternative Universes. I only am against their ideas because they use phony science to back them up. I think they would do a better job at explaining their ideas if they had actual science backing them up. Right now all of what they're doing is speculation, and, their speculation has been proven wrong time and time again.

posted on Dec, 7 2008 @ 02:20 AM
link   
Please take this as the scarcasim it's meant to be.

Oh man, what's with all the negitive energies man? you need to learn to vibrate at the higher frequencies of love man. You're a negitive force upon the world. We need to get together in a little cicle and vibrate love to raise the frequency of reality so that we can all move up to the next level of christ consciousness for the 2012 world event. Man.

I'm going to find one of these new agey people in the piles of dying and dead from the 2012 phenomenon, and I'm going to ask them, "What happened man, you couldn't hold the vibrations?"...

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join