It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Consciousness of Animals

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:32 PM
link   
Hi:

This is an incredible short clip of a dog rescuing another dog after it was hit by a car on a busy highway. You can see the dog grasping the injured dog and dragging it to the side of the road out of harm's way! How can this type of action be instinct only!!

www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 09:38 PM
link   
Mankind is not the only animal evolving. Lately we've learned of apes using tools, chipmunks conversing, Grey Parrots with the mind of three year old humans.....

Animals are getting smarter, just as we are.

I believe we will eventual evolve away from this planet and a new species of animal will rise to become the dominate species.

I also believe this has already happened.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

Star for you my friend
I could not have said it better.
I think animals are alot smarter than we give them credit for.
Monkeys learn sign language.
Dolphins can communicate with their trainers through signs and symbols.
As you stated apes use tools.
Elephants can find watering holes that haven't been used, or that have been dried up for generations.
Some animals mourn their dead.

Just because they don't speak to us, does not mean that they are stupid.
Great find OP, starred and flagged!

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
I am an avid dog lover. I can swear that sometimes my dogs actually understand the words I am saying. I dont just mean the words they are trained to respond to, I mean strange words that would normally be foreign to them. They react to conversational phrases and words that I dont consistently use for obedience training.

Nat Geo's website has an old news story about how closely the dog genome is to the human genome. It supposedly sheds some light on why dogs and humans interact so well.

The monkeys may one day rule the planet, but it will not be without a fight for dominance with the canine family.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:25 PM
link   
well i didn't do a search, but this is the first thread I've seen about animal consciousness

growing up, we had so many pet cats, every year we had a new member come and go, it was fun, and they were a part of the family just like our dog was and i'm sure as well as any other American that had pets growing up. our cat (charter) she was named after a mental institution, because she was so nuts! sometimes when that cat looked at us, we could swear she knew what we were thinking...Its those candid eyes with a hint of curiosity in them like she's looking almost through us...I know some people think cats are some of the laziest and dumbest animals lol, and as much as I agree with lazy, I think the their thought process in curiosity resembles ours. just the way they approach what they aren't familiar with, well they don't exactly stop and think about it like us (sometimes we just know that we shouldn't go in there)cat don't think "oh this could turn out horribly fatal", they are just simply curious like us, and many other animals. - I am already a big fan of curiosity, so you can see why I like cats so much -

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:29 PM
link   
According to Buddhism you can reincarnate as a 'lower' form of life depending on your actions and choices in this lifetime.

Think about that next time you see someone kicking a dog, that could be one of your friends or family members that you have lost being kicked.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Way cool OP, this totally compliments my smart birds thread.

AshamedAmerican:

I don't know that "lower" automatically means less-evolved or a punishment. Traditional cultures sometimes thought of certain animals as being *more* evolved than humankind.

I can think of a few animals I would like to be incarnated as--and to go really on the fring here, there is always the Otherkin and Therian subcultures that swear they are animals in human bodies.

posted on Dec, 3 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
That's why I typed it as 'lower' not simply lower, not my own words or thoughts on it, just passing along what I have read.
I have read that this extends all the way down to a worm, or maybe even lower.

Learning that changed my perspective on animals totally, although I will be the first to admit I'm a hypocrite.

I still eat meat, but if I see someone abusing an animal I step in and do my best to stop it, even if the person is twice my size.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by ashamedamerican
That's why I typed it as 'lower' not simply lower, not my own words or thoughts on it, just passing along what I have read.
I have read that this extends all the way down to a worm, or maybe even lower.

Learning that changed my perspective on animals totally, although I will be the first to admit I'm a hypocrite.

I still eat meat, but if I see someone abusing an animal I step in and do my best to stop it, even if the person is twice my size.

There's really just no excuse for that.

Personally I don't think it's bad to eat meat, in the spititual sense, so long as one is appreciative; whatever we use to sustain ourselves, something has to die.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Animals can be pretty smart. I think if we could communicate with them more directly it would be more obvious. Just because we're the most advanced animal on the planet doesn't mean the others will stop evolving.

I saw a guy having a conversation with a parrot once. The bird wasn't just repeating stuff, they were actually having a conversation! It was just smalltalk but still.... I had no idea it was possible till I saw it.

Plus those elephants that draw pictures, that's just amazing. Also wasn't there a gorilla that communicated via sign language?

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:16 AM
link   
reply to post by mrwupy

The other night I got home from work before my husband which never happens (he had a board meeting and we carpool).

Our dog walked around nervously looking for J my husband. This dog started acting out like a upset child so I said to him (yes I talk to my dog he's the only one who will listen to me)

"Odie, J will be home soon, he's okay he's running late tonight".

Immediately Odie relaxed and got back on the couch like he normally does at 6:00 PM

My youngest son, also sitting on the couch looked up at me with surprise and said, "I guess he understood you".

This is the same dog that the only "accident" we have had in 13 years was a little bit of throw up on the bathroom floor in front of the toilet (the toilet lid was shut).

Or the time I was showing my family a stadium blanket we got for employee appreciation day and Odie went up to me and gingerly nudged the blanket with his nose asking if he could have it...........yes he got the blanket.

If it's cold outside Odie will go to the drawer we keep his coat in and point to the drawer and when you start to put the coat on he raises his neck to assist you.

This wonderful creature I am so privledged to have shared many years with pouts and gets hurt feelings if you talk rude to him.

He also runs and hides if you say or spell V-E-T and gets jealous if I mention outloud how cute a dog is on Animal Planet.

Dogs are living longer now too, Odie is around 17 years old. Usually Pointers live about 14-15.

For the picture above I asked Odie to "sit up real pretty for me".

Besides animals evolving, maybe mankind is learning he's not the only "thinking" animal on the planet as well.

[edit on 4-12-2008 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Kruel:
I think you're referring to 'koko' the gorilla if I'm not mistaken, but alot of apes have been taught sign language it's not a rare occurance by any means.
I had a pet Cockatiel once who would not accept food from anyone but me, I could not take a vacation while I had this bird because I feared it would starve in my absence. To me this seemed like more than just quirky behavior it seemed like a pretty complex trust issue. Nobody else could touch him either or he would get either very scared or violent depending on who it was attempting to violate his personal space.

ofhumandescent:
Your dog sounds like a pretty smart animal to me. I had a Siberian Husky that used to manipulate humans like playtoys. He would get lonely late at night and wrap his runner around a tree until his neck was against the tree. It looked like he was in danger of strangling himself and most of my family (including me) would barrel out the door to unwrap him from the tree. But sure enough half an hour later you would hear him yelping and crying and you would look out to see that he had done it all over again.

One night I heard him yelping, peeked out the window to see him wrapped around the tree again but I waited and watched and stopped my family members from 'rescuing' him. Shortly after this he unwrapped his own runner from the tree and went back to his doghouse.
This is just one example and I wish I could think of more but I'm tired at the moment it's about 2 a.m. here.

This dog was so smart that he would manipulate humans into doing whatever he wanted them to do, I used to laugh at my family when I saw them falling for it because I came to realize that my dog was actually smarter than some of my family members.

Don't underestimate animals, you're only fooling yourself.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
reply to post by ashamedamerican

It's my humble opinion that dogs should not be tied up outside and left for hours. People use to do that "in the old days" but I guess with everyone evolving more people now realize dogs need to be inside with their "pack".

Maybe your dog was trying to tell you he wanted to be inside with you.

We have a fenced in yard and Odie "knocks" at the door when he wants to come in, no joke.

He also a come up to you and let you know when he wants to go out and it's pretty obvious with his pantomie he needs to "go" (He dances).

[edit on 4-12-2008 by ofhumandescent]

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 01:44 AM
link   
The reason I kept my dog outside was because he was a 95% pure Siberian Husky and I was told by my veterinarian that it wasn't good to keep a dog that pure indoors.

This wasn't a fully domesticated dog, or I should probably say that his breed wasn't fully domesticated. I even spoke with other Husky owners and they all confirmed what the vet told me, that a dog like him shouldn't be kept indoors.

He was the closest thing to a wild animal I ever had as a pet, and used to pace back and forth when he was indoors and would never lay down or relax. It seemed to stress him out to be indoors.

I was told it was his natural 'roaming instinct' and that the only thing I could do was give him a very large outdoor area that was 'his domain' meaning no other animals were to be allowed into that area for any reason, ever.

Not to mention that a dog of that size and power was like a bull in a china cabinet anytime he entered the house.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 02:16 AM
link   
That video was wild. I wonder who could have actually been filming it.

I would also agree that the consciousness of animals is heightening at equal proportions to humanity.

My dog constantly amazes me every day. First off, he prefers being on two feet instead of four. He comes up on my lap and sits up right. Also, when I let him outside, he stands at the door on his hind legs waiting to come in.

He also builds nests to where he wants to lay down. He will add things to it or use his mouth to move things in a certain manner of his choosing.

I've talked to him like a person since I've had him. He knows so many words it's amazing. He also talks back in certain tones not involving any barking.

Animals are definitely indicators of what's going on and it's truly amazing watching them exist. Not to get off topic but I feel they are as much a part of the ascension process as we are. I've done a past life regression on my dog and have seen that he's been almost every animal imaginable. I get the strong feeling that there is a very specific reason he is with me at this time.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 02:39 AM
link   
I am an animal lover, and a cat fanatic. LOL There is a wonderful spirit in animals and so many people just miss that. I have had dogs and cats my entire life. I see animals as a near perfect example of unconditional love. They are very sensitive, IMHO cats are one of the most sensitive animals. I have some health issues and when I do begin to get sick, they know and they hover until I get back on my feet.

I am new here so I am not sure where to post what, but I also believe animals have a sight to the unseen or spiritual world that we don't have. I do believe that people that abuse animals are deeply disturbed.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 08:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Universal Light

I am not sure where the video was filmed but it is likely a video from an Intelligent Traffic Management System wherein busy traffic can be monitered by camera so that response teams can be sent out as needed. The cameras, I believe, have the ability to zoom in and out according to the event that is unfolding.

Anthropomorphism (attributing human qualities/behaviors to animals) might need to be redefined! Reading through the postings, it seems obvious that we are not projecting human-ness onto our pets but rather our pets are responding to us in socially interactive ways that certainly cannot be dismissed as pure instinct.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 09:31 AM
link   
It's beyond me that anyone who has spent any time around animals at all would ever believe the idea that animals are anything but conscious beings. They are. They always have been. But they have remained "in the garden" whereas we have "eaten from the tree". Plants are also conscious, though they have an entirely different value system than we mobile creatures do. The elements too have their consciousness. It's everywhere. There is no escaping it. Consciousness is everywhere and of the same source.

posted on Dec, 4 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   
Animals are just a smaller scoop out of the same bowl of Spirit that we are. They make sounds according to their species, but communicate with each other using what may best be described as the 'psychic' link, or thought projection. Mainstream Humanity has all but lost this ability, and thus it is us who are too dumb to communicate adequately with animals.

Like us, animals incarnate in bodies for lifelimes in order to evolve, and at some future point that intelligent dog and loving cat will eventually start their first human incarnation.

All creatures have feelings, however well developed, and I often cringe when I see a Lobster scalded to death in a saucepan on TV.

posted on Dec, 8 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   
I think an effort should be put in place to teach animals some sort of a general language and have them released back in the wild, anyone think that would do anything beneficial for the future?

Probably be most effective with animals that last longer....

... personally I have a mini story I could tell, a few years back we'd rescued a baby female raven that we'd found in our yard with a broken leg, we'd wrapped it up in a bit of gauzz and made it a little nest out of wood n ripped up paper, some straw and stuff... over a few months we nursed it indoors till it was able to fly again, but it had became drastically domesticated, we'd be able to pet it, feed it by hand, it would never try to fly around the house i'd walk around actually, it was never a pest once...

The eventually when we trusted it enough and it was fat enough to withstand the cold outside we let it go... now everyday for the past few years it comes back with its young ones to visit in the backyard, we usually leave some food out on a plate for the raven and its family... and even its young ones arn't afraid of us, real neat

top topics

<<   2 >>

join