It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My first post here. I'm freaked out about Genpets.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:37 PM
link   
Hi all. This is my first post here and I'm not even sure if I'm in the correct forum, but here it goes:
I just received an e-mail from a friend who was also freaked out when she became aware of

www.genpets.com

I don't know if this has ever been discussed here before or not, again, I'm a newbie but do any of you know what this is, where they're produced and how is it possible for such evil minds to do this to any living being?
Is this the taste of things to come?

I am truly shocked.

Thanks all.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:42 PM
link   
You've been had.

Genpets are a mixed media installation art piece by artist Adam Brandejs.[1] It is considered a hoax of exposure. The project has been shown in multiple galleries in Canada and Europe and has garnered some attention in the mass media.
The creations were sculpted, automated creatures made of latex and plastic, and housed robotic circuitry to simulate slow respiration. They looked like small, baldskinned humanoids, and were intended to be displayed as living, but dormant, bioengineered creatures for purchase as pets. The fabricated packaging indicated a purchaser had a choice of colors, for different personalities and levels of activity,[2] and that the creatures had a limited vocal capacity. The sculptures and packaging, along with the professional-appearing hoax website, are so realistic that observers are often fooled.[3][4]

Source.

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
www.genpets.com...

Since you're new here, might I suggest a quick google search before you freak out. It took me about no seconds to find that wikipedia article in my previous post.

[edit on 11.27.2008 by ItsTheQuestion]

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Wow those are some ugly buggers. They are filled with living dna and it all sounds way to creepy for me. i would never let my kids have one.

Those ugly buggers web site

How did you find this Nasty troll?

posted on Nov, 27 2008 @ 11:49 PM
link   
reply to post by ItsTheQuestion

Wow i peaked at the site and thought how odd but didn't know it was a hoax.
thanks for the update. I got owned, punked, and had too.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:10 AM
link   
To me, I DO find them interesting. But do they seem to anyone else like Sea Monkeys? If you've ever seen them, you know what I mean. Ont the surface, the ad copy IS real, but what you receive and enjoy is quite different. On a lark a few years ago, I ordered Sea Monkey's as a desk diversion in my office. They are live creatures (tiny brine shrimp) , although tiny and very lame as far as entertainment goes. But what an attention getter/conversation starter! People came from 4 floors away to witness the lame worthlessness of the benign beasty bastards.
But these Genpets seem to strike me the same way. I find them creepy and fascinating . Will they replaace my Sea Monkeys, or is everyone as creeped out as me?
(The Sea monkeys seemed cool....)

[edit on 11/29/08 by scooterstrats]

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   
Did you guys read the faq page?
It's freakin hilarious.

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 01:33 AM
link   
Yeah, I did. Still a bit freaky. I may not be smart enough to understand the thing. Is it more like a vegetable/plant?
I still don't know. Any help please?

posted on Nov, 29 2008 @ 02:22 PM
link   
That makes me feel sad.:shk: Why would anyone want one? I fail to see the attraction. What is so wrong with people, isn't a living, breathing warm pet enough for them?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 08:17 PM
link   
Ya know, if I bought one and it freaked me out too much (or ran amok) before a 12 gauge could subdue it, can i feed it to my cat?

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by scooterstrats
Ya know, if I bought one and it freaked me out too much (or ran amok) before a 12 gauge could subdue it, can i feed it to my cat?

HA!HA!,I guess if it's yours you can do as you please................Can they get pregnant..
...............Can you see twenty running around the house....etc.......

[edit on 30-11-2008 by rikk7111]

posted on Nov, 30 2008 @ 09:40 PM
link   
I cant even imagine children running around the little apartment. You have given me a whole new terror to keep me awake. After spending Thanksgiving with my brother's a 4 and 5 year old, my nerves are still toasted.
These genetic Genpet freaks seem to be another source of little mewling slugs that will get on my last nerve. I am curious, but would keep appropriate weapons available to deal with these potentially vicious bastards. I don't need to be awakened by a rogue Genpet despite how harmless they may be. Again, they may be potential catfood (she is an unnaturally hungry beast. I can tell she wants to chew my eyelids off while I sleep).(how do i do a smiley face here?)

[edit on 11/30/08 by scooterstrats]

[edit on 11/30/08 by scooterstrats]

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Do Genpets feel pain? Yes. However the Genpets have limited vocal chords so they will not create a large amount of noise when disturbed.

I wish they were real and I was a kid again, cos my sisters Genpet would eventually end up in a microwave oven - after it's long career as a stunt genpet! I thinking about the best way to make home-made bungie rope, or maybe a little harness, a kite and a lightning storm... Oh the possibilities.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Holy cats could you see the threads about genpets if they were real.

My Nazi genpet is actually an alien spy.

My genpet won't stop staring at me.

Genpets killed RFK.

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 01:24 AM
link   
When they become available, I'm going to but a buttload of them .They will become my private army, a dark Army of the Night, and these little godless heathen bastards will do my bidding!
More than likely, the little shts will just need food and attention like my cat. Maybe they will eat my cat. Maybe my cat will eat them.
If these little prck's cause me grief, I'll take an AR15 to them then cook them up (KILL THEM WITH FIRE) in the back yard.

By the way, I kid. I hop somebody got a laugh from this...

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by rikk7111

Originally posted by scooterstrats

HA!HA!,I guess if it's yours you can do as you please................Can they get pregnant..
...............Can you see twenty running around the house....etc.......

[edit on 30-11-2008 by rikk7111]

Wot like Nubbins or Tribbles?

posted on Dec, 1 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Any way, what would be the point - kids have already got plenty of dumb animals with short life spans to torture to destruction - take younger siblings as 1 example.

posted on Dec, 2 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Now_Then
Any way, what would be the point - kids have already got plenty of dumb animals with short life spans to torture to destruction - take younger siblings as 1 example.

Following that there are hamsters, herbils, guinea pigs and small rabbits for the children to abuse and neglect.

posted on Jan, 27 2015 @ 07:02 AM
link   
It is really disturbing if Genpets are true. I cant believe it, they already domesticated animals as pets, and half if not more of the population tortures them, remove their skins alive for furr... Now they got bored from them as pets also, they create that thing for a year life span ... What is wrong with that?! no body should but these things

top topics

join