It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Massive object crashes over Edmonton, Canada

page: 36
<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 03:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lastone
Have you ...?? lol
That's not an answer that's an opinion.

Watch the F... video at minut 1.11 to 1.14 then talk about it.

About the chopper video... minut 1.14 was taken from what ... a balloon ??

Global one chopper. Night watch.

Whatever

l... because you're wrong about it.

Not just me, but most of the people that have observed meteors here before, that have replied to this thread agree with this being a meteor.

Yes a meteor does brake in earth atmosfere but not just before impact.

So now you're saying we can see the meteor just before impact? If you'd read my previous posts and the evidence I presented, you'd see why this could not be the case.

Please back up your claims, as I have done, otherwise stop wasting my time...

"although significantly brighter than I have ever seen". When was it brighter?

Not sure what you're asking me here - could you be more specific?

What I'm saying is...that wasn't a meteor.

Based on what? Because it didn't look like a meteor to you? So you must have seen lots of meteors and a large number of fireballs then? How long have you been an amateur astronomer?

Show me some evidence that it was not a meteor...

lastlinkontheleft.com...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.globaltv.com...

And?

As I said before, even if it was in the air at the time, it would have had to have been pointing in the right direction, with the camera rolling to catch it... which it obviously wasn't or we'd be seeing "exclusive" footage of the fireball from that news network.

So were are you going with all this?

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
Edmonton Crash Site Images:

Does that look like countryside

The Pilot: Slade Smith

s263.photobucket.com..." target='_blank' class='tabOff'/>

Now... They are looking for the "Meteor" lol
watch the video from 2.00 minuts

Amazing.....

www.globaltv.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by C.H.U.D.

Quote:

"Show me some evidence that it was not a meteor... "

Endquote

Meteors do not have brakes....... remember !! I did agree with you on that one.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Phage

Great post Phage

I'd like to add to that, if I may...

In my own experience, even those statistics seem to be at the lower end of the spectrum. I'm almost certain that these particular figures exclude activity from know showers during and around the peak nights. So it gives the slightly false impression that fireballs are less common than they actually are.

Admittedly, I do tend to observe more around the major shower peaks of the year, so my perception is probably skewed a little, but for me, I would say that on average I see a manitude -4 meteor every 4-6 hours, and a -6 every 10-12 hours.

Individual perception and acuity also plays a part - every individual is different.

Anyway, as Phage pointed out the point is, that fireballs, and meteorite falls are actually fairly common , the vast majority go completely unnoticed.

This is why scientists travel to featureless flat barren places like the frozen ice sheets in the Arctic to collect meteorites. The ice is strewn with meteorites, and they are easy to see against the white background.

Don't take my word for it though, step outside tonight and spend a couple of hours observing the sky, and you will probably see some surprisingly bright meteors.

Here's some food for thought also:

1. Fireball brightness is not a valid predictor of probability of meteorite production. The Halliday study found that, perhaps surprisingly, meteorites resulted from fireballs at least as faint as -6 apparent magnitude, and a typical meteorite producing fireball is only -9 magnitude. Many of the brightest and most spectacular fireballs did not produce meteorites.

Source: MIAC

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by DaedalusLXIX

Two streak's two trail's following the object!

hmm

then there must be 2 leading edges to this object,

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Quote:

"Show me some evidence that it was not a meteor... "

Endquote

Meteors do not have brakes....... remember !! I did agree with you on that one.

Correct... Our atmosphere is the "breaks".

The lower the meteor travels, the thicker the atmosphere becomes, and the more it is slowed down. When a meteor penetrates as deeply as this one did into our atmosphere, the "breaks" are almost literally being "slammed on". It's bound to slow down - you can't change the laws of physics. Weather you believe this or not - it's the truth. Do I really have to go digging for the links for you??

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Phage
Not really. Those three reports occurred over four days, over an area of over 1,000,000 square miles.
"Several thousand meteors of fireball magnitude occur in the Earth's atmosphere each day. or so. "
www.amsmeteors.org

It depends on the rating of size:
This site says a little different www.amnh.org...
"FREQUENCY: MANY PER YEAR
Every year U.S. military satellites detect about a dozen small asteroid explosions in the atmosphere. These asteroids, measuring several feet across, pose almost no direct threat. However, observers on the ground occasionally mistake them for nuclear or conventional weapons attacks, raising the danger of a misguided military retaliation."

The site you quoted which says "thousands", includes stuff that we all call shooting stars... here is their chart:
The table below will aid observers in gaging the brightness of fireballs:

Object magnitude
----------------------------
Polaris +2.1
Vega +0.14
Sirius -1.6
Bright Jupiter -2.5
Bright Mars -2.8
Bright Venus -4.5
1st Quarter Moon -9.4
Full Moon -12.6
Sun -26.7

The meteorite/fireball I saw was certainly bigger than a 'bright Venus', much bigger. I'm sure those in Edmondton thought it was as big and bright as the moon, because it did light up the ground.

[edit on 22-11-2008 by KathyT]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:26 PM
link   
It was confirmed that is was a giant meteorite.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:33 PM
link   
So anyways all my family thinks im crazy cause for the past week and a half I've seen 3 shooting stars who go from white to green and dissapear all in the same place every time

I live in Phoenix Arizona.

Another odd thing is one of which actually went downards then upwards into a fade of green....

I thought i was going crazy until i watched this video.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by torturekiller2006

By who ???

Always the same thing.... confirmation...

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:51 PM
link   
yay! that's my city. i didn't see it unfortunately, but alot of my friends this. just spotted this on youtube.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:52 PM
link   
reply to post by KathyT

Less common, but still not rare. Since June there have been over 100 reported meteors of magnitude -13 (full moon) or brighter reported here. Most of these reports are from North America alone. These are the ones that are reported. As the source says, there have to be many, many more that are never seen (over oceans and sparsely populated areas). And probably many that are not reported.

edit: slight error, had to upgrade the count.

[edit on 22-11-2008 by Phage]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 04:55 PM
link   

No need...

You are correct about it... the problem is, this isn't the case.

Watch the video.... time it.... and you will understand what i'm talking about.

No comments about the images... no ??

No comments about the search for the "meteor".

No comments about the Chopper video ?? And the Crashing site ??

No comments about desinfo about the location of the crashing site ??

This is a big cover up...... and that's what I believe....

If that wasn't so they would realice the images from the chopper....

They didn't... they changed the report and you will not find any images from that chopper.

What you will find is some stupied report about people in the midle of nothing looking for " The Meteor" ooooohhhhhhhhhhh.

Try to find the original report with the chopper images and the pilot.

Pufffffffffffffff gone.

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 05:06 PM
link   
Here's video of it: www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 05:18 PM
link   
Please delete this post - I couldn't quote right, and now I think it was off topic anyway.

Thank-you!

[edit on 22-11-2008 by helpmefindtheway]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 05:27 PM
link   
I saw a bright white meteorite slash across the sky around 7pm over Virginia on the 18th of november. It really was awesome!

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   
reply to post by Lastone

There's always sucker in every group..
It is and was a meteor, to believe otherwise just shows how uneducated you are...you are definitly reading too much into something natural. And they wander why skeptics find it hard to believe people....You my friend are living in the dark ages...where they believed that falling stars are signs from the gods...

[edit on 22-11-2008 by riggs2099]

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:01 PM
link   

I dug up some links anyway - this is ATS after all, and we like to be thorough here

Rocks that survive to become meteorites are much stronger than the rocks in cometary meteor showers that are seen to fragment at very high altitudes. Meteorite producing meteors are seen to penetrate deep into the atmosphere and decelerate, while most cometary meteors disintegrate at high altitude and low dynamic ram pressure without slowing down. Atmospheric entry is a barrier, a filter, that prevents typical cometary sized meteors from surviving...

Source: Meteorites, Comets, and Planets

Abstract We present an analysis of sporadic meteor number 07406018, observed by image intensified video cameras at two stations, which showed a pronounced deceleration along its trajectory.

Source: Analysis of a Low Density Meteoroid with Enhanced Sodium

Whether they pulverize or survive depends on the density and consistency of the material from which they are made, and their angle of entrance in the atmosphere. Once decelerated, the fragments cease being incandescent and go into free fall crossing the stratosphere and they are cooling progressively until arriving at the ground. That part of their fall is completely invisible for us from the ground since melting and evaporation ('ablation') of the outer surface does not longer take place: this phase of the fall is called dark flight.

Source: A SUPERBOLIDE CROSSING OVER PENINSULAR IBERIA IN BROAD DAYLIGHT, BEING FILMED FROM SEVERAL POINTS IN SPAIN

I've had to break up the text into paragraphs, otherwise it would be hard to read this next one:

By way of contrast, meteors which are traveling fast enough to appear to glow do not dim to the point of being "not bright" and then brighten again. This is because, as Klass correctly points out, what causes the light is the high velocity of the meteor passing through atmosphere.

The meteor is traveling so fast that it "instantaneously" heats the air as it passes through. (Note: Klass gives a meteor speed as 10,000 mph or 2.8 mi/sec. However, this is lower than that of any body entering the Earth's atmosphere from space. Free fall to the earth from a great distance would produce a speed of about 7 mi/sec at the earth's surface in the absence of atmosphere. Orbital speed, which is lower than meteoric speed but still large enough to cause a plasma in the upper atmosphere, is about 5 mi/sec.)

This heating is a very rapid process caused by the meteor compressing the air ahead of it and raising the temperature (kinetic energy of the air molecules) to the point where the air becomes ionized (a plasma). In returning to the un-ionized state (free electrons reuniting with the atoms/molecules) the atoms/molecules give off light which appears to envelop the meteor (one does not see the meteor itself, but rather the envelope of heated air).

The natural tendency of a meteor is to slow down as it meets with resistance while forcing itself at high speed through the atmosphere. If it slows to a speed low enough so that it no longer creates a plasma it will become dark (not giving off light) and will not again appear bright since there is no way for it to regain its lost speed. At the high altitudes of meteors (50 miles and up) the atmosphere is quite thin and easily heated to the plasma state by the speed of the meteor.

Furthermore the air resistance is quite low, so the meteor can travel a great distance before being slowed to "sub-plasma" speed. However, as the altitude decreases the atmospheric density increases and it takes ever more energy from the meteor to maintain a glowing plasma.

It is doubtful that any meteor would be still glowing at an altitude of 10,000 ft, but if it were, it would be quite large and eventually slowed to the point of hitting the Earth.

The suggestion that one.. or several... meteors could travel many miles horizontally at a speed high enough to glow while at an altitude below 10,000 ft is not supported by any known physics of meteors.

Source: Another Failed Explanation for the Kenneth Arnold Sighting

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:08 PM
link   
reply to post by ZoooMer

jes say a video of this on yahoo new like literally i was read about this about 10 minutes ago and then i opened a new window and Bam it there so yall shoul log on to the yahoo home page and watch it

posted on Nov, 22 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by riggs2099
reply to post by Lastone

There's always sucker in every group..
It is and was a meteor, to believe otherwise just shows how uneducated you are...you are definitly reading too much into something natural. And they wander why skeptics find it hard to believe people....You my friend are living in the dark ages...where they believed that falling stars are signs from the gods...

[edit on 22-11-2008 by riggs2099]

Thank you !!

"There's always sucker in every group"
Yes.... after reading your post I do have to agree with you.

"It is and was a meteor, to believe otherwise just shows how uneducated you are"
Yes I am. But I know it.

"And they wander why skeptics find it hard to believe people."
Maybe they met people like you... as "educated" as you are.

"You my friend are living in the dark ages...where they believed that falling stars are signs from the gods...
"

Not your friend .. that would be impossible. You're to well "educated" to be a friend of mine. All my friends are polite... and uneducated people. Not suckers.

And not all "falling stars" are Meteors........

Sign from the gods... sorry I ment meteor braking before impact lol

Another Meteor...

top topics

<< 33  34  35    37  38  39 >>

join