It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts say humans can live to 1000.. would you want to?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
reply to post by HankMcCoy

The amount of children / person must be limited of course, without that limitation the model will not hold. Otherwise, during a 1000 year lifespan you can have hundred of kids which in turn will live for 1000 years and have hundreds of kids by themselves.

Longevity doesn't mean immortality, every year people will die, out of old age, own will and by accident. Will we be more risk averse if we could live for 1000 years ?

[edit on 13-11-2008 by reugen]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   
You know what would be crazy?

If we can one day live up to a 1000 yrs only to find out that life as we know it, is the worse realm of them all. Why wait a 1000 yrs to die and the next afterlife can possibly be 1000 x better? I would be pissed the f*ck off!lol ( unless my family can live a 1000 years with me I won't mind)

But isn't that a thought?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   
If politicians lived for 1000 years I think they would be more careful in what policies they bring forth, regarding the environment, nuclear waste, nuclear weapons and wars etc.

I mean, most politicians are old now, and quite frankly don't care about the world they leave behind dealing with the problems they cause and the repercussions of those bad decisions 2-300 +- years down the road.

But if they were faced with only living 300 years of their full potential, they would make better decisions for their own self preservation.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by king Pop!p

If we can one day live up to a 1000 yrs only to find out that life as we know it, is the worse realm of them all. Why wait a 1000 yrs to die and the next afterlife can possibly be 1000 x better? I would be pissed the f*ck off!lol ( unless my family can live a 1000 years with me I won't mind)

Yeah lol, but then when you've moved on to a better place it won't matter anymore, the time you spent on earth would feel like a dream.

I mean even yesterday feels like a dream, the only moment that feels real, is now looking at your screen. Strange.

[edit on 13-11-2008 by _Phoenix_]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Dermo

I find this to be an extremely interesting topic; personally I would enjoy living till I was 1000: the work you could do, the things you could see, just the thought makes me wonder I could day dream for hours. Anyways I found this article whether or not this is a false or true statement it's pretty intrigueing; deals with the posibility of immortality and the problems that a being of flesh has with it. www.bibliotecapleyades.net...

A must read for any religious or atheist person, it affects all of you.

enjoy

[edit on 13-11-2008 by Lokey13]

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
Imagine being in school for 150 years.

Imagine how many birthday presents you would have to buy!

I would so go for it. 400 years would be good enough for me.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
The most important thing to me is to keep youthfull and energetic. Looking around age 20-40, you know? who wants to be old like 80 for hundreds of years? The old people should be able to reverse their aging and heal the damage ageing does, then it's all good.

Actually I would be very interested if this comes out, to see how the old change into a young looking person over time, and how long it will take? it must feel amazing!

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
1000 years sounds good to me. Immortality just really seems like a boring thing.

I'd love enough years to study multiple degrees, see the wonders science brings, live in every country for a few years, basically enjoy life. After all that though, i think i'd like to take the long sleep

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Off course I would. Who would not want to? We work our ass off every day and try to be productive in society only to die at 80-90, if we are lucky enough to reach that age.

I always thought(or even knew) that we could live longer but somehow I had the feeling that the PTB do not want this so they can keep the population from rising to quickly. In many ways I can understand that since many poor countries are not taking the threat posed from over-population seriously enough.

Nice thread by the way!

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by ImaginaryReality1984
1000 years sounds good to me. Immortality just really seems like a boring thing.

I'd love enough years to study multiple degrees, see the wonders science brings, live in every country for a few years, basically enjoy life. After all that though, i think i'd like to take the long sleep

I won't get bored, there is so much to learn, and SO many new things to see and learn in the future. It excites me.

And when they figure out the brain signals that recreate smell, touch sound etc and when they create amazing A.I, we can have SO much fun in virtual reality games, similar to the matrix movies. yay!

Time is what many people need, we all rush to accomplish all the things we think we have to do, get married have children, get that career, so much stress, and the years pass away in an instant, you feel like your running out of time, this causes many people depression etc.

If we knew we had much more time, we would feel much happier and relaxed.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:33 PM
link   
I would love to live for 1000 years, think of all I could see in My world..
I would never want to live for 1000, My life has already been so hard to Me..

With that mindset nothing would change, things would still be the same as now, greed wouldn't change as everyone would still be thinking about "I".
Now think of thousand years hanging around people like that, wait.. how are you going to survive those 1000 years?

The amount of humans would increase rapidly for atleast next 50 to 100 years and we would need top quality food and medicine for that whole time.
We already have hard time feeding 6 billion then how about 60 billion!?
Sure we might not end up with extreme numbers like 60 billion humans but even 10 billion would be devastating.

The poverty levels would increase substantially and at one point there would be slums all around the world, They wouldn't have anyway to buy energy to heat their housings which is pretty important for staying "ok" so they would go chop down the forests and burn it to stay warm.

Those less fortunate who couldn't afford the vaccines, medicines or whatevers they will be called, woud just die away but, before that...

*choke choke*

Oh right, once there won't be any trees left there won't be any air either.

Of course one could build themselves their own ecosystem inside a dome but, how many would actually get to live inside one?
But like on one of the posts said there is more negative things about this than positive things.

But hey!
Why won't we take a new direction, not talk about how we dream about what you would do with your 1000 years of agony and figure out how all the negatives can be turned into something positive or not so bad at the very least..
"Immortality(/ridiculously long life)" is inevitable so why won't we for once forget how great hindsight is and prevent our world from ending.

Thanks, bye.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by king Pop!p

Has anyone seen those twilight zone eps, where they touch on this subject, lol. Often sci fi, touches these subjects well.

I may watch all of the twilight zones again, from the 60's. Class series.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   
yes please. i would grow into the fattest person ever and have to be towed out to sea

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:15 PM
link   
Living to be 1000, or longer, would be awesome, as long as something was done to prevent overpopulation from getting so out of hand that the Earth couldn't support us any more, and as long as everybody was getting this increased lifespan, otherwise it would really suck to see everybody I know and care about die before I do.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:35 PM
link   
A lot of good points on this thread for and against living to be 1000.
my two cents:

personally wouldn't mind it. Although I'm on the side that says, negatives out weigh the positives. A lot of people keep bragging about exploration, and seeing the world or the galaxy in a 1000 years! ummm you could do that in this life time (maybe not the galaxy) but certainly the world. and once you see all the wonders, the only thing left is repetition of the experience. I think it was prototism who mentioned how our accomplishments would lose value, which I also agree. What would our memory be like after 300years? what if you just negated old experiences that were unique, because another one came along in replaced it?

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
You mean I could get on ATS and know the world is going to end everyday for a thousand years???

Interesting philosophical question. If the NWO have their way then no I do not want to live for a thousand years. Unless I could remain as physically capable as I am right now and be well-armed then I might do it and fight them for a thousand years.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:38 PM
link   
You could always jump in front of a train if you got bored

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   
The brain has an infinite amount of storage capacity due to the nature in how it operates.Whether you can remember is a different story,but its all in there....1000years 24hours a day.Its all stored in the brain.Its not like a hard drive where it has a certain capacity and then say oh no,cant add more images.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Solomons
Its not like a hard drive where it has a certain capacity and then say oh no,cant add more images.

Mine is ....

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:46 PM
link   
This is a scientific breakthrough not only due to the fact that it challenges the beliefs we have of life being short. In fact, the main benefit to this would be the mental evolution of a given individual. If I were to live for 1000 years a life of devotion to a given field be it history, rocket science, or quantum physics...the possibilities are endless.

Just imagine if Einstein were still alive today.

Just imagine if Michio Kaku were alive 300 years from now.

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join