It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Experts say humans can live to 1000.. would you want to?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   

Experts say humans can live to 1000.. would you want to?

www.dailygalaxy.com

The first person to live to be 1,000 years old is certainly alive today …whether they realize it or not, barring accidents and suicide, most people now 40 years or younger can expect to live for centuries.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
This is optimistic but pretty cool nonetheless seeing as the technology is starting to appear.

New technologies and drugs will obviously give the wealthy the option to extend their lifespan extensively in the coming years. The possibilities that would open up to those that could be guaranteed 250 years on this planet are immense.

If you could live long enough, you could probably end up taking over the world. Sounds like a plan..

Actually TBH, i wouldn't want to live for too long, things would get very very boring.

www.dailygalaxy.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

+20 more 
posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
You mean I could get on ATS and know the world is going to end everyday for a thousand years???

Interesting philosophical question. If the NWO have their way then no I do not want to live for a thousand years. Unless I could remain as physically capable as I am right now and be well-armed then I might do it and fight them for a thousand years.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:27 PM
link   
It's funny that you posted this

My friends and I were just discussing something similar the other night with regards to the old testament where supposedly they lived for hundreds of years

and that the life expectancy keeps going up

my question was what stage of aging is increased?

Like do we go through puberty for like 60 years?

or do we age normally until we hit 80 then live all old and feeble for another 700 years?

[edit on 12-11-2008 by SLAYER69]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous Avatar
You mean I could get on ATS and know the world is going to end everyday for a thousand years???

Live for 1000 years and be to paranoid to leave your house for 900 of it. If I was going to try and live that long, i'd definitely give up on all this stuff or end up cracking up altogether.

Like do we go through puberty for like 60 years?

or do we age normally until we hit 80 then live all old and feeble for another 700 years?

Either of those would be a disaster but it would be funny to come across a load of 60 year old men who's voices hadn't broken yet.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I retract my original statement, and add:

I don't see how this is possible, nor do I see how it's benefits would outweigh it's negatives.

I don't want to live forever. We aren't meant to. Every accomplishment (material or otherwise) to have in life will diminish in value.

[edit on 11/12/2008 by prototism]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
It's about the quality of life and not necessarily the length. Would you want to live a 1000 years disabled from a painful disease or only live 100 being healthy and happy?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by prototism

perhaps but it would still be an intreiging possibility, if you look at the technological advances of the last 50 years imagine what the human race would be capable of in 200-300 years let alone 700-800.

x-box 36000
playstation 1000000

or the nintendo weee weee weee weee weee weee weee all the way home

[edit on 12-11-2008 by Demandred]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Interesting article.

But it talks of anti-aging and immortality;these are not one and the same.You'd expect educated scientists to know that.

And they call aging a disease! And here's me thinking it was part of the cycle of life not something that you can catch or be infected with.lol.If this is there approach then its all wrong.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred

Lets not go there remember 60 years of puberty

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by Demandred

x-box 36000
playstation 1000000

[edit on 12-11-2008 by Demandred]
Good point!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:44 PM
link   

it is possible because the body can regenerate all organs bone and tissue ..100% the problem is that something is in our dna code that prevents this from happening.. almost as if someone programmed us to die young.. Think about this turtles are known to live 400 plus years.... does it make sense that we die at 70 when such a simple animal lives this long? trust me we could live 1000 or even more.. if you knew you could live 1000 and you don't do it wouldn't this almost be akin to suicide? Imagine if we could live that long... I believe most of our problems would be solved as we would probable not repeat mistakes as much.. I beleive the reason for most of our woes is because we are all babies.. we do not have any wisdom because of our short lifespans.. hopefully this suppression of our lifespans ends.. And we can grow up!

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:45 PM
link   
Wasnt there a guy who is said to be 1000 years old. I cant think of his name off hand or even if he is still alive I just know I have seen threads on here about him.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
Nanites?

I think to be able to live that long would be awesome....

I want to see new worlds flourish

I want to see space explored

I want this to be so so true

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I would love to live for 1000 years, why? I'd be able to visit thousands of planets, go wherever I please. In 50-100 years, I'm sure we would have warp speed spaceships. Sounds good to me, I'd love to see how women look on other planets.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

I believe most of our problems would be solved as we would probable not repeat mistakes as much.. I beleive the reason for most of our woes is because we are all babies.. we do not have any wisdom because of our short lifespans.. hopefully this suppression of our lifespans ends.. And we can grow up!

I think we would.We would still be human after all.
And some humans are greedy and violent,and they lust after power,control,land and money.Living longer won't change human emotions,it'll just help the ruthless people do more damage to the world and make those under the heel of their boot suffer more.

[edit on 12-11-2008 by jakyll]

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Demandred

lol no how about super duper nintendo 6400 wii #2 cube squared enterainment system. I am amazed the company has lasted so long and would not be surprised if they lasted 1000 years more..

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:58 PM
link   
reply to post by thefreepatriot

So by ridding of this problem in our dna, we would start getting gray hair around 500 years of age?

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 06:59 PM
link   
reply to post by jakyll

About the turtle bit, I think the reason they live so long is directly attributed to their metabolism, or their generally easy going life style (or both).

You would agree that prolonged years of stress PROBABLY will shorten your lifespan, right? And I'm not talking emotional stress alone, I'm talking physical stress combined with emotional stress.

Basically, the more stress you have, the shorter you're going to live. If you have no stress, you live longer. Turtles, I would assume, have very little actual stress.

But that only accounts for half the equation, and doesn't address the issue of metabolism, assuming it even is a contributing factor.

posted on Nov, 12 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by jakyll
Interesting article.

But it talks of anti-aging and immortality;these are not one and the same.You'd expect educated scientists to know that.

And they call aging a disease! And here's me thinking it was part of the cycle of life not something that you can catch or be infected with.lol.If this is there approach then its all wrong.

Aging basically is a disease because there is nothing in our blueprint (DNA) that specifies death or cell decay. It is a product of environmental factors, stress, and what we put into our body. With new research into organ transplantation (for example, taking donor hearts, removing the cells with a detergent, and injecting a patient's own cells into the heart while they replicate on the matrix), there's no reason we shouldn't be able to prolong life..... but for 1,000 years, that seems unlikely unless you could completely regenerate every cell in your body.

<<   2  3  4 >>

join