It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The "up-to-the-minute Market Data" thread

page: 487
<< 484  485  486    488  489  490 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:52 AM
link   
reply to post by RetinoidReceptor

Don't worry you seen the issue of the SS went into the back burner after Bush could not push it pass the senior citizens out rage

But right now is an economic crisis the same way that the Democrats will bring us the health care reform, after Obama gets voted out of the white House next elections, the Republicans with a Republican congress will bring us the SS reform again and this time will become a reality.

China was the biggest interest in the privatization and so its waiting patiently.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

Privatization is officially out the window.. not possible. A big part of the privatization of SS was market based.. investing your own money for retirement tax free .. eh.. well try telling people that now that they have lost 40%+ of their life savings and retirement thus far.........

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:58 AM
link   
Cash for clunkers...Argentina version 1999...trying to restart the auto industry...just before their total collapse...isn't that interesting?

It's in spanish...

Arranca el Plan Canje de autos viejos por nuevos

El Gobierno, las terminales y los concesionarios tienen todo listo para darle arranque a la segunda fase del Plan Canje de autos usados por nuevos, llamado oficialmente Régimen de Renovación del Parque Automotor.El sistema habilita a enviar a desguace vehículos de más de 10 años de antigüedad y obtener a cambio certificados para comprar otro usado o un 0 km de producción nacional, obteniendo descuentos de hasta 3.000 pesos en la categoría automóviles, hasta 4.000 pesos en utilitarios y hasta 12.000 pesos en camiones u ómnibus.

And it's almost the same numbers... 3000 pesos for cars, 4000 pesos for big cars and 12000 pesos for trucks and buses.

Also I heard that the treasury is selling 200 billion in bonds next week? That's a bit much ain't it?

And the FDIC report on the banks is for august 25...that's why people think the bank holiday will be august 26...

And on the geopolitical front, Georgia is screwing with Abkhazia, blockading them, meaning they are in a technical state of war.

And the dollar now below 78...is interesting.

[edit on 21-8-2009 by Vitchilo]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 06:59 AM
link   
I musta fell asleep and missed half of August..

www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 21 (Bloomberg) -- German services and French manufacturing unexpectedly expanded in August, signaling a pick- up in domestic demand in Europe’s largest economies is helping lift the region out of the worst recession in six decades.

That is simply AWESOME NEWS! .. with two weeks left in August, French and German manufacturing has already expanded. Meaning by August 31st the economic data should be out of this World amazing.

Usually you have to wait two weeks into the following month to get these numbers.. August couldn't wait I guess..

“The recession is over,” said Klaus Baader, chief European economist at Societe Generale SA in London, who forecasts the euro area will grow at least 0.3 percent in the current quarter.

**does the recession has ended dance**

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by Rockpuck
I musta fell asleep and missed half of August..

www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 21 (Bloomberg) -- German services and French manufacturing unexpectedly expanded in August, signaling a pick- up in domestic demand in Europe’s largest economies is helping lift the region out of the worst recession in six decades.

That is simply AWESOME NEWS! .. with two weeks left in August, French and German manufacturing has already expanded. Meaning by August 31st the economic data should be out of this World amazing.

Usually you have to wait two weeks into the following month to get these numbers.. August couldn't wait I guess..

“The recession is over,” said Klaus Baader, chief European economist at Societe Generale SA in London, who forecasts the euro area will grow at least 0.3 percent in the current quarter.

**does the recession has ended dance**

I'm in southern Spain and you would think that the recession has ended. Either people are really buying into 'it's all over and we're on the road to full recovery' or they're just thinking what the hell and spending the last of what they've got before someone else gobbles it up.

I've got a friend with 2 restaurants here and at the beginning of the summer season they only opened 1 because they didn't think the tourists would be coming. Not only are they packed out every night, they've opened the 2nd restaurant!

It's all very bizarre because in the real world here, unemployment is almost 20% and the housing market is still falling.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Maya00a

You have to remember 20% is high, but 80% still have their jobs. Especially in a tourist area where the exchange rate hasn't been this low in almost a decade. I would expect the "over all" data to still be negative compared to years past however.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 08:18 AM
link   

There is something soooo reassuring about a German guy who sits in a French think joint in England and who declares a victory based on his forecast. Kind of reminds me Hitlers' forecast regarding the time schedule the Wehrmacht gets to Moscow.

[edit on 8/21/2009 by stander]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:19 AM
link   
Is just positive spin for the gullible to fall for it, spend whatever they have left and to leave the woes when they go back home.

Unless you are super rich you don't have to worry about anything.

Still is a suckers market and I stand for behind my choice of words.

Too much time invested in the en of recession propaganda to be taken seriously.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:25 AM
link   

U.S. existing-home sales increased 7.2% in July, the largest gain on record since 1999, according to the National Association of Realtors.

Recession is over! YAY!

Doesn't matter that summer is the period that most houses are sold and with most houses at very good prices, it's not really a surprise...since most houses now sold are foreclosed houses...

Still, no one is talking about what happened to those who were in those foreclosed houses...

I thought about buying a foreclosed house in the US...I really did...but then I thought about the whole police state thing, the fascism, the scum cops, the taxes, ect... and the whole thing...and, and, and.... screw that.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:28 AM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I expect Sept numbers for pre-existing home sales to be even higher. In order to get that $8K tax credit, you have to close by Nov. 30. Most times it take 30 days to close, but IF you are having problems getting your financing bank to cooperate (as many are) it can take 90 days.

And quite honestly, with the amount of foreclosures & short sales available out there, there are some good deals to be made, IN SOME AREAS

But I still wouldn't invest $250K on a house that is only *really* worth $70K

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:38 AM
link   
I heard a rumor that the Bank Of Japan is about to go bust on loans, sending the Yen to 200-250 yen for a US dollar...

IMO that's BS... but if it were to happen, the US would be toasted too...who would buy US treasuries?

And anyway, why would this happen now when it didn't happen for all this time in the 90s?

I'm just throwing this out there...

Also, the bank holiday is ``supposed`` to start on august 26, also a big sale of treasuries next week...around 200 billion...

Next week might be interesting.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 10:49 AM
link   
I love the tricky news

Existing Home Sales Rise at Fastest Pace in Two Years

But

Housing data continue to indicate the sector is starting to turn after a three-year slump, but high unemployment threatens the budding recovery as many homeowners continue to lose their properties.

A report from the Mortgage Bankers Association on Thursday showed late homeloan payments jumped to a record high in the second quarter, with almost one in eight homeowners delinquent or in the process of foreclosure.

So the nations is getting a bust from those that are cashing out on the misfortune of the ones that lost their jobs and their American dream.

I wonder who are all those foreign buyers taking advantage of the situation.

www.cnbc.com...

What the government doesn't tell is that we have an increased amount of foreign nationals buying homes like never before.

Since the housing crisis and the foreclosures and the devaluation of the dollar it makes possible for those out side (mostly China) the US to own a piece of the American dream that now is eluding the American citizens.

But hey anything to in the nation of economy recovery.

[edit on 21-8-2009 by marg6043]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 11:28 AM
link   
This is the way that I see it.

The economy is still hemorrhaging jobs, also we are gearing up for the holiday season, so some businesses are going to buy more product than they have earlier in the year.

Housing sales are up, but because there are houses selling for 5 grand or so, also other foreclosed homes that are good deals. But, delinquency rates are still still at a record high and growing.

The indicators that the economy is recovering is actually people that have saved some money and are deciding to invest it in homes and other things. Also the cash for clunkers fiasco is another thing, it is like a short term bump, but ultimately will be a let down because sales will fall off a cliff come the winter.

It's like we have a wench on the end of a rope and on the other end is a 2 ton anchor the wench manages to grab a pull the anchor up a little bit, but the wench is smoking and slipping just a matter of time before the wench goes and the anchor is lost.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:02 PM
link   
Wow, interesting day. DOW managed to close with a week-ending value over 9500. That is significant to me because in my little insane way of looking at things I felt the next leg down could not occur until the DOW closed for the week above 9400. This high of a rally makes me wonder about next week - are we geared up for a big sell-off or is my second option of closing over 10,300 going to come to fruition?

Well, either way, I am gonna keep my eye on the FDIC Friday Failings to see what comes up.

9505 - interesting. When I use my banana hammock as a divining rod, it tells me that if we get any market close above 9600 then it will safely make 10,300. If not, then we are entering the next leg down.

Sorry, happy hour came a little early for me today.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:16 PM
link   
And here's what's behind Door #1 Johnny!!!

Failed Bank List
www.fdic.gov...

ebank Atlanta GA 34682 August 21, 2009

As of July 10, 2009, ebank had total assets of $143 million and total deposits of approximately $130 million. In addition to assuming all of the deposits of the failed bank, Stearns Bank, N.A. agreed to purchase essentially all of the failed bank's assets.

The FDIC and Stearns Bank, N.A. entered into a loss-share transaction on approximately $111 million of ebank's assets. Stearns Bank, N.A. will share in the losses on the asset pools covered under the loss-share agreement. The loss-sharing arrangement is projected to maximize returns on the assets covered by keeping them in the private sector. The agreement also is expected to minimize disruptions for loan customers.

[edit on 8/21/2009 by Hx3_1963]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
Nice Run today

www.sierrachart.com...

www.sierrachart.com...

and we are still in this triangle PERFECTLY

I am going to bet my life on this one too.. The break upwards of this funnel will send us around 1100 on SP 500

[edit on 20-8-2009 by GreenBicMan]

So.. this is definately a valid formation..

Stopped right on the number today actually

So IMO you play for volatility

HERE YOU GO

BROKE OUT OF THAT TRIANGLE AS WELL, ACTUALLY TESTED IN INTRADAY AND MOVED HIGHER OFF IT

[edit on 21-8-2009 by GreenBicMan]

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by GreenBicMan
reply to post by redhatty

At most in those last 2 charts it looks like DXY could get as low as 72 and take off

those are 2 quite bullish charts actually IMO (last 2)

You can't just look at a chart and decide whether or not it's going to be "Bearish" or "Bullish" .. I know in the Stock Market you don't need to read the news or be up to date on economic data to make a quick buck .. but the rest of the economy is still operating under normal economic principle.

The last two charts are actually significantly more profound when you take 1999-2009 data on the Dollars movement. With out this data, you're missing a crucial visual guide. The dollars long term trend has been deeply negative ever since the Dot Com crash .. the inflation in the past 3 years have been especially bad, as the Dollar continued its decline. Over all it was a 24+% decline in overall value in relation to other currencies.. so bad at one point 1 US Dollar's ratio was .5 Euros, .3 Pounds .9 for the Canadian .. all three are records.

If you look at the 06-09 charts you would see a steep decline and a sharp V shape, as in October with the market crash the US Dollar held it's longest rally in over 15 years.. and since then has been in decline, and then stagnate. The "stagnation" is the "cliff" .. We are balancing on a point where the Dollar potentially recovers, or declines further.. the articles main point being foreign creditors are moving away, which potentially could push the Dollar over the edge, and thus, the chart moves south. For you and I and every one else that means a much longer depression and inflation of commodities like heating oil, gasoline, electricity, food, you know... everything not counted in Inflation reports.

I have no idea how you come to the conlusion it's Bullish? Mind explaining?

edit to fix a minor issue.

[edit on 8/20/2009 by Rockpuck]

Well, you can look at a chart and determine whether its a bearish or bullish formation.

You look at the trend and price action.

In those two charts it is telling you a

1) SUPPORT

2) RESISTANCE

Now, I know what you mean when you say how can you chart a currency based on x,x,x,x and x. Well perhaps certain things happen in certain spots, and I can not say for sure, because frankly I dont care lol, but I do know that big money cares about the chart and thats how you play it I suppose.

Look at NGAS. From 3.20 to 4 dollars how many times? Finally broke below 3.20 and got shattered Down to 2.80

SIDE NOTE****

Heard my dad talking to a GAS DPP today (ATLAS) Said that shorts will have the upper hand here actually no matter what the price is and then if you are not in it, you will miss the spike up. Big money is playing with this big time from what I hear.. and that is not just some garbage info, its straight from the horses mouth

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:28 PM
link   

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:32 PM
link   
Credit Card Delinquency Wave Reaching Tidal Force

Credit card delinquencies (payments more than 30 days late) rose to 6.7% up from 6.68%. Charge-offs (listed as 'uncollectable' by the banks) rose to 9.55%, up from 7.64%. The scary thing here is that this trend is accelerating

In the case of USAgency Mortgage Bonds and USCorp Bonds, the nation is witnessing something unprecedented, the net outflow of funds.

EDIT: VERY BAD...

Obama to hike 10-year deficit to $9 trillion

The Obama administration will raise its 10-year budget deficit projection to roughly $9 trillion from $7.108 trillion in a report next week!

So...26% worse than what was projected...NICE.

posted on Aug, 21 2009 @ 04:42 PM
link   
And Failures #79 - #81...
...how do they keep finding Banks in Ga...I thought they were all gone months ago???

Failed Bank List
www.fdic.gov...

Guaranty Bank Austin TX 32618 August 21, 2009

As of June 30, 2009, Guaranty Bank had total assets of approximately $13 billion and total deposits of approximately $12 billion. In addition to assuming all of the deposits of the failed bank, BBVA Compass agreed to purchase $12 billion of the failed bank's assets. The FDIC will retain the remaining assets for later disposition.

The FDIC and BBVA Compass entered into a loss-share transaction on approximately $11 billion of Guaranty Bank's assets. BBVA Compass will share in the losses on the asset pools covered under the loss-share agreement. The loss-sharing arrangement is projected to maximize returns on the assets covered by keeping them in the private sector. The agreement also is expected to minimize disruptions for loan customers.

BBVA Compass will purchase all deposits, except about $344 million in brokered deposits, held by Guaranty Bank. The FDIC will pay the brokers directly for the amount of their funds. Customers who placed money with brokers should contact them directly for more information about the status of their deposits.

CapitalSouth Bank Birmingham AL 22130 August 21, 2009

As of June 30, 2009, CapitalSouth Bank had total assets of $617 million and total deposits of approximately $546 million. In addition to assuming all of the deposits of the failed bank, IBERIABANK agreed to purchase $589 million of the failed bank's assets. The FDIC will retain the remaining assets for later disposition.

The FDIC and IBERIABANK entered into a loss-share transaction on approximately $499 million of CapitalSouth Bank's assets. IBERIABANK will share in the losses on the asset pools covered under the loss-share agreement. The loss-sharing arrangement is projected to maximize returns on the assets covered by keeping them in the private sector. The agreement also is expected to minimize disruptions for loan customers.

IBERIABANK will purchase all deposits, except about $3.6 million in brokered deposits, held by CapitalSouth Bank. The FDIC will pay the brokers directly for the amount of their funds. Customers who placed money with brokers should contact them directly for more information about the status of their deposits.

First Coweta Bank Newnan GA 57702 August 21, 2009

As of July 31, 2009, First Coweta had total assets of $167 million and total deposits of approximately $155 million. United Bank will pay the FDIC a premium of 1.01 percent to assume all of the deposits of First Coweta. In addition to assuming all of the deposits of the failed bank, United Bank agreed to purchase $155 million of the failed bank's assets. The FDIC will retain the remaining assets for later disposition.

The FDIC and United Bank entered into a loss-share transaction on approximately $124 million of First Coweta's assets. United Bank will share in the losses on the asset pools covered under the loss-share agreement. The loss-sharing arrangement is projected to maximize returns on the assets covered by keeping them in the private sector. The agreement also is expected to minimize disruptions for loan customers.

United Bank will purchase all deposits, except about $11 million in brokered deposits, held by First Coweta. The FDIC will pay the brokers directly for the amount of their funds. Customers who placed money with brokers should contact them directly for more information about the status of their deposits.

Trillions and Trillions
www.foxnews.com...

Obama administration will reportedly increase 10-year budget deficit projection from about $7 trillion to $9 trillion

Meredith Whitney Predicts More Than 300 Bank Failures (Update1)
www.bloomberg.com...

Aug. 21 (Bloomberg) -- Meredith Whitney, the analyst who predicted that Citigroup Inc. would cut its dividend last year, said the number of U.S. bank failures will quadruple as lenders struggle with bad loans.

“There will be over 300 bank closures,” Whitney said in an interview with Bloomberg Television from Jackson Hole, Wyoming. “The small-business owner on Main Street continues to see liquidity come away.”

Pictet Buys U.S. TIPS as Stimulus Stokes Inflation (Update1)
www.bloomberg.com...

[edit on 8/21/2009 by Hx3_1963]

new topics

top topics

<< 484  485  486    488  489  490 >>

join