It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's happened with our page views?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Alright i'd figure id get in on this one as I have been here before.
Honestly S.O has tried to cut the views fat a few times before.

As a poster in the podcasts forum I fought with him(i think).Due to the fact that many people dont leave comments on podcasts but they are viewed many times.

Now being the view hungry musician i am.I stood up for the views column
Saying it was essential to show podcasters that their stuff is being listened to.So they left the column in.Twice actually they tried to take it down to slow down the amount of calculations the sitwe has to do every five mins or whatever.

So this isnt a conspiracy persay.Specially if you take into account that they left them in.

The other half of this(and also why i didnt start my own thread for the views)is that ATS is becoming bigger better and more traversed over the years. If the views have to go in order to keep this site running smooth so be it.

Ill still post my music here even though i may not know if it's getting listened to.But the amount of traffic i have gotten(and ats gets everyday)ill rest assured that its getting out there to someone atleast.

So id just like to say that S.O isnt trying to take away our views for any malicious reasons! lol anyways thanks!

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:21 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

I brought this up DAYS ago...

www.belowtopsecret.com...

and...

I got a reply from a Mod

Due to server issues its down for the moment,

Thats from assala.

this was 6 days ago

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 06:34 PM
link   
I preferred the posts that you have before. It was eaiser to read with more subjects at a glance. This is too big and short. Maybe its only because I got use to it. I read ATS every single day and am a member. However, if ATS sees that the new format is better overall, then I will have to go along with it.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by ArMaP
And how would they know that it had reached the 1000 limit, reading it from the database before writing?

I think it's better turned off, I did not even remembered that there was a page view counter.

Yes, but reads don't lock the row to do it. I don't know their database structure exactly, but it would be my guess that they are already reading the view number when bringing up the topic list. So then it's just a matter of saying if views < 1000, then write new view; That shouldn't use much resources, except for the writes which is the problem.

I personally wouldn't do such a solution. But it would be a little less load.

On another note - I have to be honest, the amount of people crying foul and such is really disappointing as far as denying ignorance goes. You asked a question, you got an honest answer that is completely common among high traffic sites.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
If members want the page view feature, they can pony up the cash for the hardware to run it, that's my thought. You can't expand and add features endlessly without a cost, and I think for FREE, we get a pretty good bang for our buck.

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 07:31 PM
link   
D'oh! double post.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by BadgerJoe]

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 08:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by spacebagel
Don't bother....

Any threads concerning conspiracy with the ATS management and it will get closed and the moderators will say "post this on the 'so and so thread' 'reports' whatever so it WILL NOT stay on the first page for long and get the attention it deserve.

EVERYTIME it's like that. It's a conspiracy folks! If there's nothing to hide they will leave the thread be but NO.

The crap useless BlossomGoodchild thread went to 200 plus page and threads such as these will be mercilessly and undemocratically locked upat the first page.

And I'm not surprised if my post will be deleted as a part of this coverup.

I'm going to make a screenshot of this thread and save it so if they locked it or delete the thread this just PROVES it's a coverup.

[edit on 16-10-2008 by spacebagel]

another one bites the dust

posted on Oct, 16 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
Wow!, I'm glad you posted this I thought I was losing my mind or something.......... I thought I had avirus or needed an update. well this clears it all up.............Flag this man.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   
page view tallies were inaccurate and unnecessary. they did not tally up unique views, for all one had to do to skew the count was to hit the browser's back button and click the thread link again, over and over.

what does a "view" really mean anyway? it does not ensure anything from the viewer beyond clicking the link. who knows if they even read anything on the page or anything beyond the first sentence. a view does not mean agreement or disagreement...or anything. it could just mean an obsessed poster checking every two seconds to see if they have accumulated any stars.

that's why i like stars and flags; you can only do them once, so it's an accurate tally.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:38 AM
link   
(Johnny takes off his mod gloves)

I'm a pretty mild and easy-going person, and maybe because of the stress of the economy, and reading the 100th 'hard to believe' prediction threads on "Blossom Goodchild" or the "Galactic Federation of Light" or any number of threads that start with "Undeniable Proof" or any other type of thread that seems to have some 'fantastic title' but is the same old low quality dribble, I feel compelled to jump into the frying pan here.

In my opinion, anyone that really is screaming about the page views needs to take a serious look at themselves and ask this question.

What am I really posting at ATS for, the fame and the glory, or the possible education and the need to have certain queries answered? I mean really, if your out to rack up some page view counts to have your digital ego stroked, then there's plenty of places for you to visit that don't have major traffic and can easily handle your needs. Ok.. I'm through, now where are those damn gloves at..?
Johnny

(Johnny slips back on his Mod gloves)

[edit on 17-10-2008 by alien]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by JohnnyAnonymous

I disagree with you. The reasons why I want post views is so I can see how many people viewed my topic, and, it gives me instant feedback. I do not view ATS as a talent show of the sort.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:15 AM
link   

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Aww shucks, you beat me to it.

I couldn't have said it better myself, so I won't try.

I'll just agree with you wholeheartedly.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 03:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by JohnnyAnonymous

(Johnny takes off his mod gloves)

What am I really posting at ATS for, the fame and the glory, or the possible education and the need to have certain queries answered?

(Johnny slips back on his Mod gloves)

And I thought that Hank Paulson was the top bullsheteer in the Northern Hemisphere.

Or am I wrong? Was it really so that the idea behind creating ATS was to give some folks the opportunity "to have certain queries answered?"

(I'm just pushing buttons. Unfortunately I can't tell you now how many, but I am.)

[edit on 10/17/2008 by stander]

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:11 AM
link   
reply to post by stander

I don't believe that's the only reason why ATS was created. I believe ATS was created to investigate conspiracy theories and to question governments around the globe and to follow their agendas. I don't think it had to do with answering some people's queries... I just think it was originally meant as a site to spread information.

Correct me if I'm wrong though but that's what I believe.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Yes there is something deffinately going on here! Hope this issue gets sorted out soon! < ! >

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 09:34 AM
link   

I still think with the amount of annon posters it was/is a nice feature to have.

it does give an indication of how well a thread is being recieved , regardless if no one posts.

i do not need my ego stroked ( although i am suprised Dave posted against this , he likes ANYTHING to be stroked :p )

people dont like Features being taken away .. i like the view count / other s dont but i can certinly live without it.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 10:54 AM
link   

THE FINAL WORD

I think many people are reading only a few responses in this thread, if any, and assuming there is some type of conspiracy to keep thread-views out of public display. No such thing is going on. Here is the final word on the matter...

MASSIVE TRAFFIC
We are the Internet's 2,382nd most-popular website. We deliver upwards of 800,000 views of thread-pages every day. At peak traffic periods (4PM to 1AM EST) we deliver about twenty threads EVERY SECOND. Our cluster of web-servers is dedicated to only creating and delivering the page HTML, and even though our three servers deliver no images, we send out over 4 terabytes of text to visitors every month.

LIMITED HARDWARE
While our database server is the biggest, most-expensive, most-powerful, and fastest we can obtain from a leased-system provider, it still has performance limits. While it is possible to expand beyond a single database server into a cluster, it requires some rather expensive expertise to assemble, as well as unique hardware that ain't cheap as well.

NO OTHER SITE OUR SIZE TRACKS VIEWS
The above traffic and hardware issues are the reason we removed view-tracking, and is the reason nearly all sites at our level of traffic do the same. SlashDot has not tracked topic views for years (and we get more traffic than they do), Digg.com does not track topic views, Yahoo Message Boards doesn't track views, Reddit doesn't track topic views (and depending on our peaks, we sometimes have more traffic than they do), and just about all other sites with user-generated comments and replies with very-high traffic don't log real-time views.

THE REASON VIEWS AREN'T DYNAMICALLY TRACKED
With all of the above in mind, as I and others have indicated, dynamically tracking views in real-time requires a write to the database each time a thread is viewed. Writes are the most intensive database operations (even a simple update), and at a pace of delivering 20 threads-a-second, it becomes a significant strain on whatever database infrastructure is used (even the massive cluster used by SlashDot).

We're looking at alternative ways to dynamically track key stats such as podcast plays... but given our size and traffic, tracking thread views in real-time will no longer be part of ATS. It's simply not viable.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 12:12 PM
link   
While we are on the topic, I want to bring another issue to the Mods attention.

When I click the Back button in the browser to go back to the previous page, nothing happens. I looked at the history in the back button (clicked the down arrow by the navigation buttons in IE) and I noticed a huge list of ads! It's actually loading ads on for every minute or so. Now I have to click the back button multiple times to go back to the previous page. This sucks! These ads are supposed to load asynchronously behind the scenes without using up the page's history. What gives?

Here's what it looks like -

i36.tinypic.com...

FYI, this started happening a few weeks ago.

posted on Oct, 17 2008 @ 01:19 PM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

Thanks for the explanation.
I understand the load and latency of writing to the database.

But why write to the DB?
Wouldn't it be possible to generate a totally independent counting mechanism at the page level and incorporate this into page 1 of every thread?

Seems there has to be a workaround even if we have take do additional clicks to get that info.
Keeping a tally of the topics of interest is important.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join