It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sick and tired of pop-over ads !!

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:31 AM
link   
hey look....
I know this site has sponsors and must pay the bills...but do you have to have those damn annoying pop-over ads coming from the ATS banner ??

every friggin time I come to the site the ad pops over half the page and will not go away until I "X" it out. Is that really nessessary ?? do I really have to acknowledge the useless ads every time I come here ??

Also it interferes with logging in sometimes...when I input my username and then tab to my password the ad will drop down preventing me from inputing my password until once again I "X" out the annoying ad.

paying the bills is one thing...making members jump thru hoops just to login and navigate this site is another.

AG

[edit on 25-9-2008 by Alpha Grey]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:36 AM
link   
Negative.

I am not getting any invasive pop-up advertisements here.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:38 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cadbury
Negative.

I am not getting any invasive pop-up advertisements here.

the ads pop out of the ATS banner at the top of the page..

well anyway...lucky you ! at least you don't have to deal with it !

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Few are on ATS as much as I am, and I'm not seeing those types of ads. In fact, we've taken steps to prevent them.

Next time it happens, can you get a screen shot and send it to me via U2U?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
Few are on ATS as much as I am, and I'm not seeing those types of ads. In fact, we've taken steps to prevent them.

Next time it happens, can you get a screen shot and send it to me via U2U?

absolutely !! Will Do !!

Thanks SO !!

AG

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by SkepticOverlord

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I've had a few in the past, but not many. Even as much as I'm here, I don't see them more than about once a month, at odd intervals.

But then, I pay no more attention to them than I do the commercials on TV.
And I figure Xing them out is just part of life, like gnats and tax collectors.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 11:57 AM
link   
If you are using firefox you might want to give the adblock plus addon a try. Just right click on the banner that annoys you and block it from ever annoying you again. Don't go crazy with it though, only block the ones that annoy you. Your favorite sites rely on these banners for revenue.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:10 PM
link   
I probably get the more than anyone. Will see if I can get a screenshot and post it up. It's an ad for like RA or something, white and purple right?

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:35 PM
link   
yes wait till you get the horror film, one with the chest cavity being torn open.
I got it about an hour ago

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:42 PM
link   
I get the RA one quite frequently and just got 10 years taken off my life with a big Turtle Wax one that just popped over a thread I was reading, my computer screaming out a big "Vroom, vroom".

I am not against them, because I know that they are money makers for ATS. But, I swear they have some sort of artificial intelligence, because when I try to get a screen shot of them, they disappear.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:49 PM
link   
Funny, this thread has an ad with Chuck Norris over it.

What a terrifying smile, he looks like he's going to maul something.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I use Google Chrome (yeah, I know, I am feeding Big Brother). I have not had one pop-up ad come through yet. In fact, when I click on links that launch a legitemate window, they are blocked to, in which case I have to remember to ctrl-click the link to bypass the pop-up blocker.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Just a tip. Move to a remote location of the globe and you won't see these ads. I'm surfing from Norway and have never seen these have-to-collapse ads. Nonetheless, ATS should advise their sponsors to use userfriendly interesting ads, not annoying 90's popup in your face and make it impossible to do what you want ads from ninth hell. If they have a Product a text ad works just as well as a splash with annoying animations and squeeking colors.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:04 PM
link   
reply to post by ninthaxis

After having Seen that google chrome is nothing more than a harvester of information, and it continously crashing on me for no reason, i decided to uninstall it for good.

Nothing wrong with good old firefox

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ninthaxis
I use Google Chrome (yeah, I know, I am feeding Big Brother). I have not had one pop-up ad come through yet. In fact, when I click on links that launch a legitemate window, they are blocked to, in which case I have to remember to ctrl-click the link to bypass the pop-up blocker.

There is probably a preferance for allow popups from links you actively click in your options panel. Haven't tested the new googleomat but my guess it will become a rats' race between Firefox and Chrome for the marked of non IE browsers....

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 04:03 AM
link   
Here's your screenshot. Quite annoying...

otakuscion.com...

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:01 AM
link   
I have seen them-- at least two or three different ones now. There was another board business thread (one about popup window) where someone had a screenshot of the one that has been around for the longest.

I just click outside it anywhere on the page and it disappears.

I am using IE7 and perhaps it selects that browser in particular so that not everyone sees it?

Edit to add
Shugo: Yup, that's the one that is the major plauge but we seem to have more creeping in of late.

[edit on 9/26/2008 by EnlightenUp]

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shugo
Here's your screenshot. Quite annoying...

otakuscion.com...

that the one !! great work !!

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 07:52 AM
link   
I use Firefox and have yet to see an ad pop up on ATS. Perhaps it is browser specific?

posted on Sep, 26 2008 @ 08:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Alpha Grey

Could you have a browser hijacker? They install, like toolbar buttons and are designated BHO. You might want to download and run 'HijackThis!', which can remove those.

en.wikipedia.org...

Some of them are helpful and benign, others are just spyware.

Just a thought.

Badge01
Forum Moderator

[edit on 26/9/2008 by Badge01]

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join