It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Artifact from Atlantis?

page: 8
<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 10:44 PM
link   
reply to post by Skyfloating

So why did you automatically query Atlantis, that would have
been my last thought not the first.

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:47 PM
link   
Would it be possible to get your hands on what the universities said? Like a report or something.

I find that the universities saying that they didn't know what it was and just handing it on to be fairly dubious, a university would go ape poo over something as mysterious as this thing appears to be.

Still, it looks beautiful!

posted on Sep, 24 2008 @ 11:53 PM
link   
I am going to continue with my assumption that the top symbol depicts a calla lily; it really does look like one. Here is a whole page full of calla lily stock photos: Calla Lillies.

The calla lily is a poisonous plant. This can work in compliance with my previous theory that the images on the vase, candle holder, whatever are used on the piece as a symbol of fertility. However now, with the knowledge that the calla lily is a poisonous plant, it could be a symbol of fertility followed by death - life, and death. Unfortunately, there are differing positions on the use of calla lilies for symbolic purposes. Additionally, if the image is a calla lily, the "artifact" becomes hard to identify culturally.

There are sources that say the calla lily is a symbol of life, death, light, and marriage. Here they are: calla lily history; traditional flower symbolgy. As for the cultural significance of the calla lily, it is scattered.

The calla lily originated in Africa, and that's all I've gotten so far. I read a few other pages that state that the calla lily has significance in ancient Roman, as well as Judaic cultures; I cannot find the pages though. This is all I have for now.

THAT THING IS NOT FROM ATLANTIS. THIS IS JUST SOMEONE TRYING TO GET ATS POINTS. THEY SUCCEEDED.

[edit on 24-9-2008 by o22a6ar]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
Anyone notice this Silvery patch, I was having a closer look out of curiosity and that spot looked strangely Silver, I don't know what to make of the spot.

Is it the lighting or camera flash maybe ?

[edit on 25-9-2008 by Toecutter.]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:10 AM
link   
I see the head of the bull, two angels, one sea snake and one jumping dolphin
on the side of what looks like a giant bottle holder built for Thor.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Edit dosen't seem to be working.

Could the silvery spot be metal transfer from being repetedly struck with say a lead object, or missing bronze plating maybe ? seems too old to be plated, though I really wouldn't know when plating was first used.
Very interesting object.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Skydancer

It looks like there is a Phillips head fastener on the urn immediately below the section you circled.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 12:50 AM
link   
I think this is Mayan, the image of the face looks very similar to the Mayan WInd God Kukulcan. The square like images look to be Mayan as well. Perhaps linking the Mayans to Atlantis as some believe?

Here are some image links for you to compare

Sun God
images.travelpod.com...

Several Gods in this pic, note the square symbols as seen on the relic
www.ddbstock.com...

Wind God (artwork)
bp2.blogger.com...

In the image on the relic you can see what looks like the depiction of wind as well as possibly feathers as the Wind God was supposed to have.
I would say Mayan with nearly 80% confidence. As for the language, it could be from a period unknown so far and possibly not translated....again linking it to the Atlantis - Mayan theory

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:36 AM
link   
its chinese made for export to europe. Thats why it looks chinese but not.

It made its way to the waters off of florida via a spanish ship, hundreds of them went down in the carribean.

Its not maya or aztec they didnt posses the metalurgical knowledge required to make such an object.
The Inca worked in bronze but hadnt reached that level of skill.

Its value was negated when it was cleaned.

A striking piece but not from atlantis

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 01:59 AM
link   
First off the object looks to be made of copper. As far as I can remember at this moment, copper is the only thing that tarnishes green like that. There are way too many questions to ask about this. I would have to see the thing in person to know where it came from. I have studyed over 60 ancient languages. I can usually point out symbols and say what language it belongs to. The face is obviously Chinese or Japanese. If this object was found under water in the very same condition it is in now than there is NO WAY it is from Atlantis. I say this because it has NOT been under water for 12,900 years in appearance of it's present condition. There is a big reason for 12,900 years. It's alot to go into. I can U2U anyone and answer any questions they may have. But if you look up Lake Agazzis, the Laurentide Ice sheet, the Clovis poeple, Atlantis, the Mayan people, and the end of the Pleistocene Epoc you'll understand a bit better..... One reason why it looks Mayan is because Ancient Chinese and Ancient Mayan symbols look very similar. Even the ancient numbers and letters look almost exact. This is Chinese I'm almost 100% positive. The dude saying it's from Atlantis is pulling the OP's leg. This looks like it wold hold something. Maybe a vase can be held inside, or a torch, crystal. But, I'm leaning more towards this thing is used for holding a ceramic, clay, or glass vase. As I said I'm almost 100% positive it's Chinese. You don't see that style of face other than in China and Japan

To my knowledge there has been only one artifact recovered from Atlantis. This was a crystal sphere. It was discovered back in 1970. 5 men went down on a dive, one was a doctor. The doctor was the one who found it. It was in an underwater pyramid. All 5 people have either disappeared or died from "unknown" causes. The last thing known of the doctor is that he was being head hunted by the American Medical Association in 1975 because he was useing the crystal sphere to cure the terminally ill of deadly diseases in minutes, and he did it for free or next to nothing. This crystal sphere is rumored to have been in the Smithsonian for a very brief time. But the museum gets very angry if you ask about it and they will out right deny it's existance or that it was ever there. No one knows the present location of the Orb Of Atlantis

[edit on 25-9-2008 by Valkyr8]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   

I have not read the entire thread yet.
OK so there you have it.

However, the photo#3, top symbol, to me, is totally vaginal. It's placement at the top of the vertical row of symbols indicated this artifact was made at a time when there was a lunar oriented society....Goddess oriented. The rest of the motifs seem to be sort of familiar in an ancient sort of way but familiar in the sense we have seen the style before......I am thinking Mayan, early Greek or more likely early Celt or Pict. Early Celt or Pict would make more sense to me considering the traditional placement of Atlantis.
Seems to me that if it was actually that old, and made of metal it would not be intact after so many millienia under salt water. Is it ceramic? Is it an unknown metal? Have any tests been done?
Quite the find. Certainly a sign to me anyway....Stars to you.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:08 AM
link   
reply to post by 44soulslayer

I had to reply to this post. After first reading about looking at the object upside down, I flipped the image and the first thing that really stuck out at me was the image of what looked like a cows head (which if upside down, would be the symbol at the top of the base). After reading your theory of the two faces looking at each other and a possible heart... My belief is that this object was used in some type of object used during sacrificial services. Sems Mayan-Aztec like in the background design, but I'm far from an expert... Maybe it ended up near Florida from an ancient shipwreck.... Just my two cents. Thank you

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:28 AM
link   
I see flame, butterfly, frog on the first picture with vertical glyphs.

Awesome find we need some closer up pictures of some parts.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:30 AM
link   

found by divers off the coast of Florida

Means nothing the Spanish fleet had two parts one operated between Spain and the Americas.
The other part operated in the pacific and transshipped there loot across panama a lot of things came from china, Asia and as far as India across the pacific to panama then to Spain.

This was because the trip around the horn was long and very dangerous.

To me these look Asian and there are things that look to me to be modern.
they look sand casted then parts turned on a lathe. or the could be sand cast from wood forms that were turned.
and the green patina looks like what is used to make lawn ornaments look old.
Its called patina glaze and its a mix of a glass glaze and copper powder that is then treated with acid and buried for a few months.

I can tell you one thing these were not in the ocean the have no barnacle growth patterns in the patina.
There's a very identifiable pattern on bronze and brass the has been in sea water and had barnacles grow on them.
I know i have had the unpleasant task of cleaning hulls on navy ships and the brass and bronzes hull fitting that are underwater.

To me these look like modern chinise Pseudo Antiquities.

I would be like to see a metallurgical report on the metal they are made from before passing judgement.
I believe that the metal will be found to have a modern contaminant
silicon bronze - a bronze with 2-3% silicon that is resistant to corrosion
This is never found in antique bronze but when modern bronze scrap is used this invariably shows up
community.seattletimes.nwsource.com...

Five minutes with one of these and it would be easy to tell where it came from as different cultures had different mixes for there bronze.
www.thermo.com...
en.wikipedia.org...

[edit on 25-9-2008 by ANNED]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 02:59 AM
link   

Has it been carbon dated?
If its from a period before Iron could be made by Indians or Mayans then this is going to be very interesting!

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Valkyr8

Is there any more information on this Atlantis orb? I'd love to read more about it somewhere.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Minoan culture has similar artifacts in this link

en.wikipedia.org...

The Queens in the link look similar to the 2 faced women as someone pointed out.

The story here and a similar hair styled queen like in the vase www.wsu.edu...
Minoans are linked to asian culture

more art
www.metmuseum.org...

Paragraph from above website about material used.

Much of the first half of the second millennium B.C. was a time of widespread prosperity for Minoan Crete and a period of active trade with other civilizations around the Mediterranean basin. Cretan exports consisted of timber, foodstuffs, cloth, and, most likely, olive oil, as well as finely crafted luxury goods. In exchange, the Minoans imported tin, copper, gold, silver, emery, fine stones, ivory, and some manufactured objects. For their basic needs, however, the Minoans on Crete were self-sufficient. During this period, great strides were made in metalworking and pottery—exquisite filigree, granulated jewelry, and carved seal stones reveal an extraordinary sensitivity to materials and dynamic forms. These characteristics are equally apparent in a variety of media, including clay, gold, stone, ivory, and bronze.

www.daedalus.gr...

This artifact may have well belonged to the queen.

www.uri.edu...

Atlantis was known to have Minoan like civilisation!

The lion head with wings could be a winged griffin
stigmes.gr...

Interesting about minoan culture and atlantis
www.drgeorgepc.com...

[edit on 25-9-2008 by meadowfairy]

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:06 AM
link   

I tihink is chinese art. Have you read gavin menzie´s book, 1421?? he say chineses had been in America before Columbus did it.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:12 AM
link   
The fact that this piece cannot be easily characterised is a very, very telling sign that it is from a culture that is not very well known.

While conventional wisdom suggests that if anything, it is minoan. However, bearing in mind it was found off the coast of Florida, it may have a more exotic (atlantean) origin.

Edgar Cayce predicted that the remnants of Atlantis would rise from the sea near Florida in 1960. And they did : en.wikipedia.org...

Could we have in front of us a relic from this ancient civilization? The artwork is strikingly beautiful in my opinion, but the same can be said for Minoan art.

At any rate, please tell the owner to sell it to a museum if at all possible. It would be a shame to see such an artifact lost to the private art market.

posted on Sep, 25 2008 @ 04:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skyfloating
We speculated that they might be Mayan (thanks for the hint), but the owner apparently could not get that confirmed.

So we are:

One-eyed-prophet: Museums dont share what they cant label?

[edit on 23-9-2008 by Skyfloating]

That's funny that you said that because that is exactly what came to my mind the moment I saw your pictures. The square spirals in the background look very Mayan to me, and even the raised carvings on it look like Mayan imagery.

That would be my guess anyway, or perhaps some Mayan sect that broke off and formed their own tribe.

new topics

top topics

<< 5  6  7    9  10  11 >>

join