It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McKinnon loses appeal hearing

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:36 AM
link   
news.aol.co.uk...

Gary Mckinnon today lost his appeal hearing at the European Court of Human Rights and faces extradition to the USA within two weeks to face trial.

Write to the Home Secretary now if you feel as strongly as I do that this should be stopped NOW

Ross

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:41 AM
link   
reply to post by nomadrush

Apologies just seen there is already a thread on this in "breaking alternative news" so mods you may want to delete this one?

Ross

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by nomadrush
news.aol.co.uk...

Gary Mckinnon today lost his appeal hearing at the European Court of Human Rights and faces extradition to the USA within two weeks to face trial.

Write to the Home Secretary now if you feel as strongly as I do that this should be stopped NOW

Ross

yes..terrible...but writing to the home secretary wont do any good..sadly...americans NEVER extradite their citizens...but they expect others too...and we do!!!..pathetic.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
The man has hacked into top secret US computer systems and broken the law, costing over $700,000 to uncover and correct.
As for claiming he did it to uncover evidence of ufo's then he wasnt very good at providing proof, seemingly unable to provide screenshots of what he allegedly saw.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:10 AM
link   
Way to regurgetate propaganda........

Anyone who knows anything about computers knows that its impossible to cause 700,000 dollars in damage to computers.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by dodgygeeza
Way to regurgetate propaganda........

Anyone who knows anything about computers knows that its impossible to cause 700,000 dollars in damage to computers.

Maybe you should read my post again, i stated $700,000 to uncover and correct.I think the figure was arrived at due to man hours investigating and system downtime to secure networks.
As being impossible to cause $700,000 damage to computers, i could easily double that by damaging the equipment i work with so think again

[edit on 28-8-2008 by bmdefiant]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:31 AM
link   
As I have said many times in these forums, the alleged "crime" was commited from a room in London and therefore under UK law his trial should be heard in the UK.

This issue is not about guilt, cost, or US patriotism, it is about the trial being heard HERE in the UK and an act of civil disobedience to get to the truth, something we all should care about here on ATS.

If he is found guilty in the UK he will be punished accordingly so why it is so important to the US that they want him tried out there? What have they got that they want covered up? I suggest its the evidence he says he FOUND as it would be openely produced in court here in the UK, but I bet it isn't if the trial happens in the USA.

This stinks and anyone who defends the calls for extradition obviously isn't interested in the truth being exposed!

Ross

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:50 AM
link   
What evidence would that be that would be produced, either in a UK or US Court ? Please post a link that shows evidence of both the images and information Gary McKinnon states he viewed whilst hacking into US computers systems.
As the crime was committed against US property in the United States why shouldnt it be heard in the country where the act was perpetrated ?
If i build a nuclear bomb in this country and send it to France where it kills hundreds of thousands of people of course France will demand extradition.Ok its a severe case in point but where the actual crime is carried out is where jurisdiction should lie in where it should be heard.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:53 AM
link   
I find it more shocking that he faces up to 70 years in jail, whether he gets this drastic sentence is not to be known. This guy isn't a rapist, a murderer, or anything like that - but at the age of 42, spending the rest of your life in jail just to be made an example of is pretty soul destroying.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Yes i agree, i find it shocking that a person could commit murder (or worse) and still be out a lot early than a maximum sentence that Gary McKinnon could get.
As with a lot of these hackers he got too good at showing up how inept US computer systems were, and probably are. I think the real reason they are making an example of him is due to their own embarassment and incompetence over not making these "secure" networks like its supposed to say on the tin ie secure.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by bmdefiant

What evidence would that be that would be produced, either in a UK or US Court ? Please post a link that shows evidence of both the images and information Gary McKinnon states he viewed whilst hacking into US computers systems.
As the crime was committed against US property in the United States why shouldnt it be heard in the country where the act was perpetrated ?
If i build a nuclear bomb in this country and send it to France where it kills hundreds of thousands of people of course France will demand extradition.Ok its a severe case in point but where the actual crime is carried out is where jurisdiction should lie in where it should be heard.

If that is the broard brush that should be applied then I guess that the US/UK armed forces should have their hands full in courts defending their record of Terrorism all over the world. I'm thinking Iraq, El Salvador, Niagara, Afghanistan etc etc etc

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:06 AM
link   
Justice is served

I have no sympathy for him he could have got six months but refused to cooperate. I hope they throw the book at him as a warning to other enemy's of America.

And it's very easy to cause $700,000 of damage especially when deleting accounts from military systems and installing back doors which need to be fixed which he did. Lets not forget this guys actions shut down an entire network of around 3000 people for a month that's gotta be worth at least eighty years.

This guy definitely did the damage he is accused of and his deluded fantasy's wont save him from good old American justice.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamanator

Oh Shamanator you do talk some rubbish at times don't you? It's fine for you be patriotic and protect the US, but not for us to be patriotic and protect one of OUR citizens. Try the shoe on the other foot!

It is a simple fact that this has taken six years so far to get to where we are now at because the USA did NOT immediately seek extradition, probably because they KNEW this is not the correct legal proceedure for a"crime" commited in the UK. Strings have been pulled here without any shadow of a doubt.

Ross

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by shamanator
Justice is served

I have no sympathy for him he could have got six months but refused to cooperate. I hope they throw the book at him as a warning to other enemy's of America.

And it's very easy to cause $700,000 of damage especially when deleting accounts from military systems and installing back doors which need to be fixed which he did. Lets not forget this guys actions shut down an entire network of around 3000 people for a month that's gotta be worth at least eighty years.

This guy definitely did the damage he is accused of and his deluded fantasy's wont save him from good old American justice.

If a person can hack into our nations secure back door with a 56k connection, then our our govt. computer security personell should be repremanded as well. Your ignorance of this obvious fact is a growing trend around here.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by NightVision]

[edit on 28-8-2008 by NightVision]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 10:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision

If a person can hack into our nations secure back door with a 56k connection, then our our govt. computer security personell should be repremanded as well. Your ignorance of this obvious fact is a growing trend around here.

Ahem there is no need to start using insults like that.Your post would have proved far better quite rightly laying partial blame on those govmt security personnel and the punishments they should face also.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:02 AM
link   

Ahem there is no need to start using insults like that.Your post would have proved far better quite rightly laying partial blame on those govmt security personnel and the punishments they should face also.

Insults? Try facts. You posted something that revealed your ignorance. The definition of ignorance means you 'ignored something'. Saying you posted something ignorant would be factual. Not an insult. Apparently you have been ignorant or the meaning of ignorance. That is all.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:08 AM
link   
Ok the fact is you initially replied to Shamantors post in relation to those responsible for the security being repremanded not me so maybe you should check your facts yourself.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:17 AM
link   
He hacked into a supposed high security computer, which was on windows (
!) instead of a secure virtually virus free linux, or Unix system, without a password! For this crime, to which he admitted, he ALREADY served his sentence in his own country. His punishment was over. As a MINOR offense, he did not receive a harsh penalty. The US should be tightening up its computer system, in fact, wondering why it was that way at all. Obviously someone was leaking information from within!!!

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:18 AM
link   
reply to post by NightVision

I'm quite sure whoever was in charge of those systems has already been reprimanded over this however that is irrelevant and doesn't mean anything in relation to Gary's punishment.

Are you really naive enough to think people didn't get fired over this in fact that's the human cost of what Gary has done chances are he cost a few people their jobs possibly not even the right people.

Gary purposely targeted those machines he knew what he was doing and is guilty end of story.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:19 AM
link   

Ok the fact is you initially replied to Shamantors post in relation to those responsible for the security being repremanded not me so maybe you should check your facts yourself.

Again you are incorrect, sir. Thats called a mistake. Not ignorance. Its also starred.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join