It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McKinnon loses appeal hearing

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 11:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shamanator

I'm quite sure whoever was in charge of those systems has already been reprimanded over this however that is irrelevant and doesn't mean anything in relation to Gary's punishment.

Oh I see. So just 'who' is it? You are suggesting that one person is in change or America's Computer Security? Talk about ignorance. It is absolutely relevant by virtue of the fact that they left a wide open door, more like a gaping wall sized hole in our security. Literally thousands of people could be responsible for this. Apparently this fact evaded you.

Are you really naive enough to think people didn't get fired over this in fact that's the human cost of what Gary has done chances are he cost a few people their jobs possibly not even the right people.

There's no proof that anyone got fired over this. Asking for proof is not being naive.

Gary purposely targeted those machines he knew what he was doing and is guilty end of story.

Again, you are incorrect. He was targeting information, not machines. At least get your facts straight here. The damage was done trying to find who broke in.

This argument is tiresome pointing such flaws in your argument. It barely deserves rebuttal.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:29 PM
link   
I don't know quite what way you are trying to twist this but your logic makes absolutely no sense.

Gary committed a crime the Administrator did not commit a crime and yes generally yes there is one person in charge of one computer.

No matter how you try and deflect the blame Gary is the one who was hacking and messing around with computers he had no right to access under any circumstances no matter what security there is you do not trespass on a computer you do not own especially so for a military computer.

Gary illegally hacked and committed damage he also left threatening messages promising to keep doing it and vague threats against America as a whole

Gary is plain and simply an Idiot who did a lot of damage and will serve his time anyone with any ounce of Intelligence would not have used a software that let anyone walking past see what he was doing. The simple fact is he thought he was untouchable and America couldn't get at him.

Guess the British and European courts see him for what he is as well.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 01:58 PM
link   

I don't know quite what way you are trying to twist this but your logic makes absolutely no sense.

It's pretty simple really. My logic is based of facts, your logic is based on opinionand hearsay. Think about it.

Again and again your assessment of the most basic facts of this case are incorrect. Instead you use your own opinions of McKinnon to bolster your argument. Sorry. Try again.

Gary ... also left threatening messages promising to keep doing it and vague threats against America as a whole

Another outrageous claim you will no doubt have absolutely no proof of.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by NightVision]

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by NightVision
Another outrageous claim you will no doubt have absolutely no proof of.
[edit on 28-8-2008 by NightVision]

Heres proof from a British source and there plenty more if you look

Calling himself Solo, he left a threatening message on a computer saying: “U.S. foreign policy is akin to government-sponsored terrorism these days?It was not a mistake that there was a huge security stand-down on September 11 last year... I am SOLO. I will continue to disrupt at the highest levels.”

source

You make yourself look more foolish with every post please do a slight bit of research before jumping in thanks.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 03:24 PM
link   

You make yourself look more foolish with every post please do a slight bit of research before jumping in thanks.

I'm afraid you're incorrect again, sir, for believing such nonsense. Your 'news' link sourced absolutely nothing in regards to its claims. Apparently, if its in print, you will believe it. Foolishness defined.

It is clear that the simple facts of your argument have come up short, so you have resorted to hurling insults, a classic and predictable ATS move for an individual little ground left to stand on.

posted on Aug, 28 2008 @ 09:10 PM
link   
I'm not making an argument merely stating the fact he's going to jail which he is all his options have run out. If anyone doubts his guilt at this point they haven't read anything of the story.

I do sympathise with the British over the extradition arrangement but I think with sufficient evidence we would be happy to hand a jobless stoner over to them as well really we are doing them a favour.

As for the whole UFO angle I honestly believe that's only an attempt to make his actions seem more silly than sinister and to help his case get publicity doesn't change the fact it's all lies though.

[edit on 28-8-2008 by Shamanator]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:00 AM
link   
You have to remember the reason he hacked into the computers in the first place.... to uncover UFO secrecy was his main interest. This is the same reason he is going to be screwed, unless official disclosure from our gov. is right around the corner they are gunna make an example out of this guy. Poor Gary.... all he wanted to know was the truth. In my opinion he was doing us all a favor.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Shamanator

Shamanator - it may be different where you come from, but over here in the UK a person is deemed "innocent until proven guilty" that's the way our legal system works. For you to say he's guilty and is going to jail like it's some kind of foregone conclusion is the very reason why we want to protect the guy from that kind of thinking and have him tried int he UK where he will at least get a fair trial, EVEN if he pleads guilty.

Ross

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 03:32 AM
link   

Justice is served

I have no sympathy for him he could have got six months but refused to cooperate. I hope they throw the book at him as a warning to other enemy's of America.

The fact of the matter is not whether he committed the crime, but the fact that the US is once again attempting to police the world. Gary Mckinnon is a UK citizen and therefore should be tried IN THE UK not in the US.

Many many people, myself included, are sick to death of you Americans thinking you are the be-all and end-all, that every other country should submit to you. You ever wonder why more and more countries are leaning towards trade with China? We much much prefer dealing with them than dealing with arrogance.

This guy definitely did the damage he is accused of and his deluded fantasy's wont save him from good old American justice.

American justice? Whoever said that American justice is right? Personally I put more stock in the UK legal system, and my own Australian legal system, than I do the American Farcial system.

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 05:59 PM
link   
[edit on 29/8/2008 by watch_the_rocks]

posted on Aug, 29 2008 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I don't have any sympathy for Gary, he knew what he was doing. He knew what the American Jails were like. If you can't do the time, don't do the crime.

Don't mess with the American authorities, compared to Europe, they're savage. The stupidest thing about this whole case? They, the Americans offered him a pretty good deal, he turned it down
That really pissed of the prosecutor, hence the "he'll burn in hell" quote.

And still, after all of this, he still hasn't run off
He's a complete nut-job, he deserves everything he gets. He should be holed up in Norway or some place like that by now.

The Americans are making an example of him, to deter future attacks. You can't blame them can you?

He's heading for hell, I feel sorry for him, I really do. I've seen those American documentaries, Americas toughest jails. He's going to be somebody's bitch

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 04:49 AM
link   
Thanks for posting that, i wasnt aware he had been offered a deal before the extradition process was carried out.
From what ive read he was offered a six month to a year sentence with repriatriation back to the Uk then eligible for parole after 6 months.So he knocked that back and guess what he will be extradited to the US to face the sentence that US hackers get based on financial losses as a result of his activities.
So he knocked back a far lesser sentence for the hacking spree which he admitted he had done, he obviously expected to be able to avoid extradition and/or get prosecuted in a UK court.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 05:15 AM
link   

Originally posted by bmdefiant
he obviously expected to be able to avoid extradition and/or get prosecuted in a UK court.

Of course he knocked back the first deal, it involved him being extradited still. The whole issue is that it is WRONG for the US to extradite him, that he should receive his full trial and any punishment IN THE UK.

Why is it that so many people find that hard to understand?

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:43 AM
link   
Quite sad. It's wrong.

news.zdnet.co.uk...

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Its not difficult to understand..he was obviously expected to avoid the the natural extradition procedure thinking he could escape the process,appealling it was done to find evidence of ufo's. His lawyers must have felt the whole issue of extradition lumped in with Guantanmo bay issue would be prove of benefit to the case.
Once again as the crime was committed against US property in the US i see it as only natural that he should face trial and whatever punishment there.
Regardless of what others have posted here about making more people aware about Gary McKinnon's case, the mainstream media and population have little appetite or sympathy for his case.This is down to his reasoning he was hacking to find evidence for ufos as well as knocking back the plea bargain given to him.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 08:24 AM
link   
He won't get more than 5 years in a federal prison. And will probably be released early if tons of request are made to President Bush for release (most presidents rlease lots of prisoners before they leave office you just have to flood him with request)

I can't see him staying in A usa prison for very long being a UK citizen. Its just a bunch of bullying by the ass-clown prosecutors to get pay back for being penis heads.

The USA Government (current) really pisses me off messing around like this when we have more serious problems like Mexico crime lords rolling heads all over the place and we do nothing.

I just think folks need to flood the USA government with outrage over the overblown crap of this case.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:16 AM
link   
It's very sad imho, that the faulty party of this inccident do not take the responsibility for their mistakes.

Leaving a network open to connect to with a simple remote access program just begs to be visited by anyone....
Any network administrator knows that you do not do something like that, you keep the connections open on the LAN side, not on the WAN side.

As the extradition goes, that will probably happen, and it is very likely that McKinnon will face the full time of 70+ years of jail time.
This isn't justice, this is revenge, and part of a concelament to hide their embarrasment over this.

The U.S are losing alot of respect now adays, no one wants to see USA reform into a police state, which is currently happening.

Now i will stop blabbering....

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 11:40 AM
link   

reply to post by NightVision

I'm quite sure whoever was in charge of those systems has already been reprimanded over this however that is irrelevant and doesn't mean anything in relation to Gary's punishment.

Are you really naive enough to think people didn't get fired over this in fact that's the human cost of what Gary has done chances are he cost a few people their jobs possibly not even the right people.

Gary purposely targeted those machines he knew what he was doing and is guilty end of story.

Yes, but Gary caused the trouble for our enemies.

He hacked into NASA, what would be the point unless you were looking for UFO related evidence?

Gary Mckinnon should be let go just for doing us a favor.

NASA is ran by a bunch of Nazis anyway.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 06:40 PM
link   
I'd just like to add to this post that Shamalangadingdong is in fact ignorant, as stated by someone else, and is also terrible at arguing his point.

posted on Aug, 30 2008 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by meta4
I'd just like to add to this post that Shamalangadingdong is in fact ignorant, as stated by someone else, and is also terrible at arguing his point.

Well, judging from you post, you're not exactly doing a great job yourself. Why is his opinion ignorant? He's backed up with facts. Gary is guilty of committing a crime. He got caught, now he's going to do the time.

Again, Gary has had plenty of opportunities to work with the American authorities, he chose not too. All of Gary's problems are a result of his own actions. I commend him for his little pursuit of the truth, but he should of thought of the consequences at the time.

[edit on 30uSaturday08/27/08 by paul76]

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join