It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking: Musharraf has resigned as President of Pakistan

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Seems to me that Musharraf got himself into trouble after he double crossed the USA. He's the type of leader that only cares about personal power.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Why the hell is everyone bashing Musharraf?

He kept power away from the radicalists and kept up a strong campaign to clear Pakistan's tribal areas of Taliban so they wouldn't become the breeding grounds they are for Extremism.
With influence and ascension strongly grounded in the military there was no chance for Pakistan's radical political parties to have a shot of coming to power.

Now your going to see that change very quickly..

Despite his flaws he was Pakistan's best chance at remaining secular and in other words, pro-Western.

Without him and his iron-fisted controls your going to see Islamic Fundamentalism rear it's ugly head in Pakistan too.

Sheesh you people really need to do your homework....

What would you rather have? An Islamic Fundamentalist with Nuclear Weapons or a pro-Western dictator with Nuclear Weapons...

Americans make me laugh... you can't have your cake and eat it too.

What a puppet in Pakistan wasn't good enough, he needs to lick your ass too?

[edit on 18/8/08 by The Godfather of Conspira]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:20 AM
link   
I see political and civil strife for Pakistan. A country actually controlled by
tribal leaders, that temporarily allowed the military to control by and large. That's over now. I see civil war with the religious sector ultimately taking control.
God help us.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 11:30 AM
link   
Another border of Iran up for grabs? Not that Gorgia directly borders Iran but Azerbaijan does and is involved with the whole SO georgia conflict. Seems a real mess is brewing.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by Vitchilo
Musharraf was a piece of trash. Good that he's gone.

If there's a crazy guy at Pakistan helm, it won't be long before India take cares of the problem. So it's not our problem... even if we created it by giving them nukes and helping Musharraf.

i disagree , a nuclear conflict between Pakistan and India is a INTERNATIONAL problem.

and could easily spark WW3 global conflict

Remember, China considers Pakistan its counter to India

its an extremely complex situation, and I can only hope this turns out peaceful and for the better outcome

The nuclear war reality almost happened once before between India and Pakistan, it's bound to happen again...

It seems like something new that affects the world is happening every day this month. Hopefully things will get better but I don't know. I'm starting to believe those who say in September, everything will go to hell.......

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
Musharraf wasn't that bad a leader in my books. That country needed a coup.

Things were escalating out of control at a time when A.Q. or equivalent could easily have stepped in and got control. Musharraf did have the country's best interest in mind as, he too, must have been scared of what was to come.

He simply delayed the inevitable by approx 10 years. Instability worldwide right now is only going to be that much worse without a sane mind at the controls. Who knows though, maybe if an unmentionable got control they will have a sudden change of heart like many other fringe groups that went official in the political arena.

Like Georgia's leader, I'm now eating my tie.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
Hopefully, he will be tried for the crimes and corruption he has committed. He is responsible for the killing of thousands of his countrymen. Under his reign, secret agencies would pick up any religious man and sell him to the US for $500 each as a 'potential terrorist', and portray the victim as Taliban or Al-Qaeda shipping em off to gitmo. Without a doubt, worse president in the history of Pakistan.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by The Godfather of Conspira
Why the hell is everyone bashing Musharraf?

Because he was a US backed dictator that helped to fund extremism?

He kept power away from the radicalists and kept up a strong campaign to clear Pakistan's tribal areas of Taliban so they wouldn't become the breeding grounds they are for Extremism.

While allowing the CIA to fund madrases that kept churning them out? I think not?

With influence and ascension strongly grounded in the military there was no chance for Pakistan's radical political parties to have a shot of coming to power.

If Pakistan has radical religious parties it's because that's the only rout the US left open by destroying democracy in Pakistan.

Now your going to see that change very quickly..

That's what democracy sometimes result in, yes.

Despite his flaws he was Pakistan's best chance at remaining secular and in other words, pro-Western.

Where does the idea come from that Pakistan was or is secular? Why do you think Pakistan is so pro western any ways?

Without him and his iron-fisted controls your going to see Islamic Fundamentalism rear it's ugly head in Pakistan too.

Now you might but i doubt it would have got so out of hand without all the episodes of foreign intervention?

Sheesh you people really need to do your homework....

What would you rather have? An Islamic Fundamentalist with Nuclear Weapons or a pro-Western dictator with Nuclear Weapons...

It really does not matter as long as they are sane. You don't often see anyone at that level of power that is insane and i doubt we will be that unlucky. Either way you can't do much with nuclear weapons you can't use or be a leader with not much of a country and few people to attempt ruling.

Americans make me laugh... you can't have your cake and eat it too.

What a puppet in Pakistan wasn't good enough, he needs to lick your ass too?
:@@

Americans have me alternating between anger and wanting to cry and they are not all that different from all the other people in the world who are trying to have cake...

Stellar

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:45 PM
link   
Well -- to bad George & Dick cant take a hint...

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by bodrul

I see this development as really bad news. Even if the majority of the Pakistani people are peaceful it only takes a small group in the right places of power to take over. You see examples of this all of the time. (I won't go into any examples in the interest of staying on topic.)

I think M_M is right on this one. We will see a dramatic and dangerous power struggle and may end up with another theocracy like Iran. India and the US will not be able to allow this situation to exist because of the risk of Pakistan's nuclear weapons being smuggled out for use by terrorists.

Bad - Bad - news. I think this is much worse than Iran or Georgia. I also think we won't have to wait very long to see how it is going to play out.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 03:56 PM
link   
Wasn't he supposed to be temporary anyway?

Who does the US put in power now?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
I've been predicting for more than a decade that the first nuke will fly out of Pakistan. God, I hope I'm wrong. I smell Putin. Anyone else smell Putin?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by mopusvindictus
Oh g-d... yet another shoe drops this last week or so here...

welcome to a Nuclear armed islamo fascist state

anyone want to wager on whomever comes to power in pakistan being a radical kook?

$100 dollars on the table that the new guy in town is worse than Musharraf and add $200 if they try to be the next Iran.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 08:53 PM
link   
reply to post by StellarX

very well put. regardless of how we may perceive his character here, the people of pakistan are happy, and there are many more ways this could play out. Either way, its been a very significant month for US satellites. Political troubles overseas and economic woes at home, I only feel that these are signs of the pillars cracking.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:07 PM
link   
Gee, I think I hear violins playing in the back ground. Another one bites the dust I wonder if he'll keep his head?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
blaine, what do you mean smell putin? im completely in the dark as far as russia/pakistan relations go maybe someone could break it down for me?

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:41 PM
link   
I hate to try and tie this in with my thread...but, this early information (if the sources are correct) could be one of many catalysts that leads to my "prediction" HERE

I dunno, it just seems lately the world's stability is seriously rocking from one side to another...

I agree w/others -- this is bad news for global "peace/security".

[edit on 18-8-2008 by MystikMushroom]

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by itguysrule
reply to post by bodrul

I think M_M is right on this one.

Hahah!

OMG...I thought you were talking about me, until I went back over the posts...!!!

I also agree and concur with M_M's tactical/political assessment of the situation. This isn't "good news" - - but worrisome.

posted on Aug, 18 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
Thank the Lord! All he cared about was fame and fortune! Did you see his visit a while back. when he was answering questions about his "Book" he had just written? His true colors came out, I thought.

posted on Aug, 19 2008 @ 05:29 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

Correct,
It will all happen very quickly.
The extremists will come to power in Pakistan, they will sell nuclear weapondry to Iran. There is going to be nuclear war in the region very soon. Both Iran and Pakistan will be as thick as theives. Now with Russian relations with the West deteriorating daily, Russia will align itself closely with Islamic states, as more Russian military technology will be sold to the rising Islamic States. I believe Titor was telling us the truth about the nuclear war in 2015, if the U.S and and Israel hit Iran by the end of this year we will se a nuclear exchange between Israel and Iran. Once nukes are used Russia will believe they have the right to use thiers against Nato in the near future as they feel threatend.
Even as these events unfold before our eyes people will still be in denial and burry their heads in the sand, that will be the true tragedy, and in the end it will cost their lives.
I'll be anxiously watching world events over the next few months.

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join