It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survival fishing MK II

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
You all know how I am about survival ideas, i like to try and share my best stuff with you all to give you some ideas about how to roll when bad times are upon you.

This is not just a SITX idea, but for all those times when times might be hard and a few fresh fish would go down a treat as 'extras' on the table.

This idea is super cheap, effective, and so simple to make its actually real fun. The end result is a fish trap that makes lines almost redundant if you get one of these up and running.

(I tried and tested this out on a private river, and do not know the legality of these in countries where you may read this, so if you use it, check first!).

So what do we need?

1 large float.
2 pieces of say 3 feet by 2 feet wooden / plastic board.
for the top and bottom.
5 pieces of 2 by 2 for the vertical supports.
A large roll of fine mesh chicken wire.
Some single strand wire.
1 old coke bottle.
A few yards of twine / rope / para cord for an anchor and retrival means.
Some cammo netting if you have it, if not, use natural available cammo i.e. leaves and dirt / branches.

So, heres what we do.

We place one board on the floor and attach our pieces of two by two at ech corner and one in the centre like so.

We then mesh three side of it like so....

and taking our coke bottle as a guide size, we make a mesh funnel, and then with our final side we cut out the hole and attach the funnel as so....

We then have a trap looking like this, which just needs baiting and a lid on it!

So, for the lid, we just seal it down tight, adding a float so it doesn't sink to the bottom (unless you want crabs or lobster / crayfish of course!) and then throw our camouflage over it. We then secure it with our rope, and then leave it be for a few days.

Believe me when i say you will not believe how many fish you have inside your trap once you go back to check it.

I did this in a private river, and i kid you not I got dozens, a larder full in one sitting, I am kidding you not!

Daniel.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 08:58 PM
link   
I tried this out last year and a few days ago in a slow moving river and a faster flowing section on private land, and it is amazing. I mean you cannot believe how many small / medium sized fish will enter and get caught in the trap.

It is based on the idea that fish will follow and congregate with other fish because they think it is safe to do so.

Believe me, this little beauty will bag you a feast, just drag it in and help yourself.

making it cammo is for those SITX times when you don't want any other b'stard stealing your food supply.

Daniel.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
One last thing to add. Your BOB has tin snips in it yes? if not, might be a good idea to purchase some.

Also, make sure small fry can escape easily between the chicken wire gaps, as the smaller fish will become the bigger fish in a few months time. No need to over fish your river.

posted on Aug, 7 2008 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

This is a traditional Finnish fish trap "katiska". It's usually dropped to the bottom of the lake, Usually 2-4m deep. It gathers a lot of European perches and other smaller fish. Quite often you can also get some Northern pikes, weighting up to 3kg (my record is 5.2Kg
)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 06:51 AM
link   
I like the picture northwolf.

The main two differences is that the way i have show you mean that you don't need to be in or on the water to launch or recover the trap, and that with the trap floating and the top sheltered from sunlight fish are both willing to use it as shade, and see it as a good source of food and saftey because other fish are in there.

I live the idea of an all metallic ground hugging trap though. I got agreta location in mind for one of those!

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:37 AM
link   
Quick question, since I'm really not a fisher, and don't really intend to be unless I have to at some point in the future..

Once all such fish are caught, can they simply be cooked whole, or do they need gutting/other preparation?

Are there any particular types of fish that should not be eaten for whatever reason?

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Inannamute
Quick question, since I'm really not a fisher, and don't really intend to be unless I have to at some point in the future..

Once all such fish are caught, can they simply be cooked whole, or do they need gutting/other preparation?

Are there any particular types of fish that should not be eaten for whatever reason?

As a general rule, its is better to gut the fish which is dammed easy to do and do a de-scale. If you have caught say something like whitebait or minnows which are only a few centimetres in length then they are usually cooked as is - whole. Easy to gut fish - slit fishes underside, put finger inside, pull down from head to tail, guts fall out. Flatfish is slightly different - cut off head, you will then see where the guts are and pull out.

Pretty well most fish can be eaten. A lot does depend on your particular palette. Bottom feediing fish are generally muddy tasting and can harbour parasites on their skin - Flounder, Plaice, Dab, Sole. Game fish are generally the best eating - Bass, Trout, Bream, Salmon. Shark and Ray family do need a bit of preparation like soaking in fresh water for 24 hours to get rid of the amonia smell/taste, but then they can be cut up into nice sized steaks, the same goes for Conger Eels.

Easiest way to cook (once gutted - heads/tails can remain on fish) is cut slits across the body, insert knobs of butter, some herbs like Dill and then wrap in Baco-foil (tin foil), chuck em on the barbie/fire/grill ...... simple. No need to fillet prior to cooking as the cooking process makes it easier to self-fillet whilst eating.

Crabs are best when brought to the boil. Lobsters are best placed in boiling water. The claws of both are the best eating.

As for fish that cant be eaten - I am not to sure, but the general rule is the uglier the fish, the less likely you can eat it - Weaver Fish, Stone Fish, some Wrasses - Some of these have toxins in their spines.

I cant really say alot about Freshwater Fish as I Sea Boat/Shore Fish.

[edit on 8/8/08 by Wotan]

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:13 AM
link   
I have said all along that trapping as opposed to hunting and fishing is the best way to go. This simple trap, or variations thereof, has been used for years to bring in food. Good post I am glad to see there are others out there doing some trials of what works. Don't wait till you need it learn it now and use it!

respectfully

reluctantpawn

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 09:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

At least in Northern Europe majority of the Freshwater fishes are edible. Those that are not normally counted as edible only taste bad or have too much bones in them to be worth the effort of cooking.

By far the easiest way to cook fish is to gut it, put it on a stick and shove the stick to the ground very close to your campfire... wait until nice and cooked
Also known as beach fish around here.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by Wotan

The ugliest two fish I have ever caught, Ling Cod and Wolf eel actually turned out better than the "pretty" fish. Then there is the freak of nature, halibut, which we should all be able to agree is a fine fish. But I agree on a global scale, if it looks like something you wouldnt want to meet in a dark alley, it probably wont sit well on the palate.

Dan. Yet another great thread from you. As a survivalist, you are not only smart, but always thinking and sharing. ATS is a better place with your knowledge.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 12:55 PM
link   
Northwolf

Yeah, I know your method is by far the easiest and quickest way to cook fish. The method I mentioned is also a quick and easy way but a bit more gourmet and tastier, therefore more psychologically beneficial if you have been living on MRE's for a few weeks.

Salchanra

I was just generalising when I said ''the ugliest are the least edible'' as I am well aware of what fish I can and cannot eat in British waters but not to fait with waters around the world. But like you said, if it doesnt look nice, it probably isnt.

I have caught Pout by the bucket load and though its a nice looking small fish, in my opinion its not a great tasting one, but in a sitX it would do. I suppose if we were hungry enough, we would try anything ........ once.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Got to share what we know, or else our collective knowledge would fall by the way side.

I share traps / fishing / survival skills, others share medicines, and still others share kelly kettle links.

All in all we are doing amazingly well at gathering a good comprehensive set of skills for our use if the SHTF down the line.

Best tasting but ugliest fish ever? Monk fish.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 05:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan

Easiest way to cook (once gutted - heads/tails can remain on fish) is cut slits across the body, insert knobs of butter, some herbs like Dill and then wrap in Baco-foil (tin foil), chuck em on the barbie/fire/grill ...... simple. No need to fillet prior to cooking as the cooking process makes it easier to self-fillet whilst eating.

[edit on 8/8/08 by Wotan]

Guess what i am doing tommorrow? spending the day 'survival fishing and cooking /eating catch'. Indeed, i am up with the larks and off for a days arseing about with lines, hooks and do it myself fire making.

Its my day off kiddie care you see.

Gonna give your idea a whirl and report back (Pics will be taken!)

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 05:40 PM
link   
One more idea you can try if you have caught lots of small fish that are only worth one or two bites is to get all the flesh from all the fish and make them into Fish Cakes.

You could add some instant mash potatoe to them to bulk them out and some herbs (whatever ones you like) and then grill or fry them.

If you can add an egg into them it is ideal as it binds them better, but not to worry if you dont have one. A quick flash fry either side of them should hold them together.

If you have some left over you could always eat them cold on the move if you have to.

I know this is sounding like a cookery thread, but these ideas do make a difference to your morale when out alone or when things are looking grim.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 06:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
One more idea you can try if you have caught lots of small fish that are only worth one or two bites is to get all the flesh from all the fish and make them into Fish Cakes.

You could add some instant mash potatoe to them to bulk them out and some herbs (whatever ones you like) and then grill or fry them.

If you can add an egg into them it is ideal as it binds them better, but not to worry if you dont have one. A quick flash fry either side of them should hold them together.

If you have some left over you could always eat them cold on the move if you have to.

I know this is sounding like a cookery thread, but these ideas do make a difference to your morale when out alone or when things are looking grim.

I like it. Alot. Will be giving that a go too if i get enough on the shore to warrant it.

posted on Aug, 8 2008 @ 07:27 PM
link   
Thanks guys

See, I'm slightly squeamish about things like fish, I prefer them to have already been killed and gutted for me. Fishing is not an activity I would enjoy, but what I do have is an extremely good memory, so these tips, and trap designs, will stay with me forever.. if it comes down to having to fish to survive, I'll be able to do it now.

posted on Aug, 9 2008 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Inannamute
Thanks guys

See, I'm slightly squeamish about things like fish, I prefer them to have already been killed and gutted for me. Fishing is not an activity I would enjoy, but what I do have is an extremely good memory, so these tips, and trap designs, will stay with me forever.. if it comes down to having to fish to survive, I'll be able to do it now.

Thats why i love doing threads like this. if I can help one person stay alive longer and feed themselves, i'll write survival threads all day long.

posted on Aug, 10 2008 @ 10:20 AM
link   
It's much appreciated. As a woman, a lot of us, and the world, tends to view us as weak and incapable of all kinds of things.. I take pride in the fact that I have more than a passing knowledge of things like carpentry, metal work, construction, and various other "manly" fields, because I never want to be in a position where I'm unable to take care of something basic for myself. Sure, it's nice to have someone else put up the shelves for you, but I reject the idea, internally, that women *can't* do things men can. Our limits are more mental than anything else. Sure, men are generally stronger physically than us, but even that's not always true.. On my way home last night, for example, some guy at the gas station in front of me bought a couple cases of beer, and sort of groaned as he picked them up.. I think he was a bit offended that I offered to help carry them

Like I said, I may not choose to fish as a pastime, and given the choice, I'll buy my fish in a store, but in the event of a sort of "no store" option situation, I'd rather my choice be "Build a trap, and gut your own fish" than "starve"..

I'm sure many others feel the same way, so by all means keep going.

new topics

top topics

join