It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What the...?!?! COSTCO selling long-term Emergency food?!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:04 AM
link   
reply to post by jasonjnelson

It seems stupid to even question why they are selling this product. Can any one company sell anything these days without the accusation of a "conspiracy theory"? They have sold this kind of stuff for a long time and now you post it here on ATS like it is news and get people to dumb themselves down by beliveing in some crack pot conspiracy about "Costco knowing something we dont".

Wow, whats next?

[edit on 26-7-2008 by bakednutz]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bakednutz

what an excellent point !
I should have titled the thread " costco knows something we don't "
Thanks for your addition to this thread!

(and the chance to answer by I-phone!)

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:33 AM
link   
Just wanted to add, that if they knew something was going to happen, do you think that they would decide to make these in hopes to sell them and gain a profit when the world is going to end?

i am not saying the world is going to end, just that if someone knew that it was, i do not think that turning a profit would be high on thier list of things to do.

i think that maybe they are just playing to the demands of all the doomsayers of 2012.

and i am still not convinced either way with the whole 2012 thing yet.

Edited to add: i guess bakednutz kinda already said what i was thinkin.

[edit on 7/26/2008 by keeff]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:37 AM
link   
As far as I know, Costco DOES take food stamps, at least here in CA providing you pay the membership fee first. What would be even more scarier, is if the expiration date was set at 12-20-12. Also, regarding Costco knowing something we all don't know, as a matter of fact, the Mormon church tells its members to prepare for emergencies by storing dry food, having an emergency pack or bucket you can grab as you run out your door, etc. Do they also know something we all don't know? NO And to answer someone else, you can get MRE's from any army/navy surplus store. I wouldn't hesitate to buy this as I am moving from California to St. Thomas, Virgin Islands and they have hurricanes.
Bon Apetit!!!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Your post has made me realize that I need to start my own emergency provision kit. There isn't a Costco where I live, but I just did some searching and found several websites where I can order some emergency food kits online. Thanks for the great info!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:47 AM
link   
reply to post by cornblossom

Thanks.

Yeah, I put mine together over the last year.

I can last 2 years with 5 friends.

Feels good to relax....

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 12:51 AM
link   

yea either way i kinda decided after reading your initial post,. that i might as well stock up on some of those.

i didn't see if you post a price or not. do you know what the price for one of those was?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:16 AM
link   
***** New Improved Soylent Green*****

brought to you by the good people at

MONSANTO

I saw a story on local Aussie TV only last week about Costco coming to Oz to shake up the two big supermarkets here and inject a little competition.

That stuff looks really bad, is no doubt full of chemicals and other weird crap. The consequences of eating this could be dire.

take care all
res

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by resistancia

That stuff looks really bad, is no doubt full of chemicals and other weird crap. The consequences of eating this could be dire.

take care all
res

everyone is yelling chemicals, look at all the #e you are eating now and tell me none of it has chemicals

or even the air you breathe, or fluids you drink

so its just a bucket of chemicals all at once instead of meal after meal

its pretty much all the same

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:29 AM
link   
I eat fresh only. I do not buy prepacked instant ""add this, add that"" convenience foods. I do not eat fast foods either. Most convenience foods are expensive and have little or no nutritional value. Do not believe everything you read on the label.

And yes even the air has chemicals in it that affects the food we eat.

You can thank pollution and fertiliser manufacturers, like Monsanto for the that. I think I am a lot older than most of you in this thread so I find it difficult to embrace things that are NOT good to eat.

take care all
res

[edit on 26-7-2008 by resistancia]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 01:52 AM
link   

Jason,
While I don't think that Costco may know something we don't... I see no conspiracy here. The current situation, as it is... economics et al, has actually got more people thinking about a "preparedness" sort of mentality. The way I see it is this:

Call it survival, call it what you will..
It is market economics, in reality... but it all boils down to supply and demand. The previous posters said it better, and that is the fundamental aspect of it, but speaking as a US native, I will try and get this across to you in the best of my perception.

The economy is in the dumps, for alot of people... for most of us that is realization that all is not well. A good life can be turned upside-down in a matter of moments, and history and the media tells us so.

Now rewind:
Y2K.. All was well, but in that same matter of moments... you had a looming fear of the unknown, and the possibility many lives could be turned upside down, in the passing of a second hand. I think that was an eye opener for some people, but it passed in time and supply/demand tells us so. 9/11.. no preparation, in reality there was no person here prepared for that event, even those on the scene that day. Thus begins the war on terror, and a new looming fear arises, the fear of the unknown. That in my eyes, was the deal maker, now everyone was worried about what "could happen" in time. Anthrax, duct-tape and plastic sheeting... the fear of the unknown was now an everyday occurance then, fast forward to where we are now... economic crisis around the corner, energy costs through the roof, and it seems that nobody is safe anymore.
Demand=supply.

Maybe it is on our minds more, maybe more people are thinking about what would truly happen if it all comes crumbling down, maybe. The air of uncertainty can motivate sometimes, and after all.. the only fear we have... is... the product of ourselves.

Both are tools, it is only how we use them to our advantage my friend.

You should really post a follow up in the survival channel, keep us updated. I would like to know some more about this little gem... all conspiracy aside... it is a good idea. For everyone.

Maybe we can trade menus....

regards,
T-

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 02:18 AM
link   
Hi! interesting info...
someone know a website seller of this kind of product who sell outside US.

Thanks
Ace

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
Another intresting and thought provoking thread from Jason Nelson! Star and flag Jason!

200 meals might give you enough time to get some real veggies going in your garden or hydro garden, and maybe that is not enough time to give you cancer from eating the stuff, LOL!

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 03:15 AM
link   
reply to post by keeff

THen you are on to the point I was making as well!

Has the "end of the world" scenario reached the mainstream consciousness at this point?

I was unaware that my posts were that popular!

Seriously though, realize that this food is good for 20 YEARS! thats a LOOOOONNNNGGGG time my friends...

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:12 AM
link   
I just had a thought, isn't that 20 years about the same time that Social Security is supposed to run out of funds? OMG, it's old people food, that's what it is!!!!! LOL! Sorry I couldn't resist.

Hey Jason, I noticed we both live on the same planet! LOL!

[edit on 26-7-2008 by space cadet]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:42 AM
link   
This crap is a grade A rip off?

I know one thing, those who are no stranger to hardship, hunger, pain, depression, and tough living will adapt far better than anyone indulging in all life has to materially offer despite all of their preparations such as pellet food like this.

For example, I am 6 foot 2, and weigh 148lbs. A bit underweight, but you know what? Some days I hardly get any food, maybe one meal. Some days I just have bites of this and that mixed with a snack and a bunch of sodas or iced tea. I love good food, but find eating to be a chore with anything less than spectacular food. I find myself spending money on take-out and delivery food just to make it apetizing and edible to me, and to increase or even create a hunger by the scent of the alfredo sauce for example. But, with the fleeting economy in the USA, and due to some family hardships, I cannot afford such luxuries and have been resigned to food from tin cans, microwave food, and deli sliced roast beef sandwiches.

I am 25, about to be 26, and have had bouts of drug problems for the past 7 years or so, making things even worse on me. But all the sickness has made me bitter and a hardass, much stronger and more resilient to the daily pains of life than I would've been. My chemicals have been so off of the mark in my brain at certain points that I am amazed at my ability to get through the hard, crushing, depressing times. But that's just it.. on the other hand, I am preparing myself for a stressful life of survival, albiet unintentionally.. I think. No food? Oh well, I'll get some eventually. No sleep? Oh well, my body won't let me. Drink? Eh.. better not, if you do fall asleep you'll just wake up needing to use the bathroom. For instance, I woke up at 3am today, and went to sleep at 11PM. 4 hours. I awoke to the sound of my step father doing the dishes. Yes, he cleans the kitchen and does the dishes before he crashes at 3, 4 sometimes 5am. And no, speaking to him does nothing to stop the problem.

So to get to my point, I can guarantee you that I would take to being held captive, denied food/water, made to defecate in a box 3 feet away from you at all times etc, alot better than your average American. And this 148lbs is 148 lean pounds that can take days of malnutritrion and starvation at a time , I know from experience. Sometimes you just get so down that you cannot force yourself to even eat food. So in essence, being depressed in a room for weeks and months at a time, dealing with hard life adjustments or sicknesses, has made me "tougher", more "at ease" and "at home" in a terrible environment, being depressed, hungry, and sick.

On the other hand of it, I am also uniquely suited to an outdoor survival lifestyle. Having to wake up at the first sound of danger, to stay up keeping watch for unreal amounts of time, not having sleep for long bouts of time in general, not having much food etc, I'd likewise be more in the norm with poor nutrition, not much food to go with, and not much sleep to go with. This is how I live naturally. But before you say that I am not built to hack it, I am actually pretty normal when it comes to exercise, I do dance and martial arts to get that exercise. Be glad you are not me though. Or, wish you were me? Whatever you prefer..

WHICH IS BETTER:

Eating substandard food in the form of pellets, 100% vegetarian, just to skim by on nutrition requirments and calories?

OR..

Eating a hot bowl of rice with some salt/butter to make it appetizing, chased with a multivitamin to get those nutrients elsewhere?

I'd opt for the vitamin and rice..

[edit on 7/26/2008 by runetang]

sty

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:47 AM
link   
wow, I did not know you can preserve food for 20 years! it is amazing to be onest! We had emergency food back in Eastern Europe too, and sometimes it would be sold to make room for fresh food as they permanently update the storage with fresh food.

sty

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 05:52 AM
link   
reply to post by resistancia

I agree with you in some points: it cannot be natural as it stays for 20 years. However I believe this was designed for survival in cases of atomic warfare , when you cannot go to your garden for a long long time.. but yes, i wonder what they put inside !

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by sty
reply to post by resistancia

I agree with you in some points: it cannot be natural as it stays for 20 years. However I believe this was designed for survival in cases of atomic warfare , when you cannot go to your garden for a long long time.. but yes, i wonder what they put inside !

Most likely space age preservatives, ie; the stuff they use to preserve the food for the Astronauts to eat while in Space.

It's probably dehydrated first, then the space age preservatives are added to the food, and then the container in which it is stored will also play a large role in the shelf life. I'd imagine this stuff would give alot of people stomach aches and diarehea..

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Great thread jason.

No conspiracy, I think emergency kits are a good idea for everyone.

I'm not familiar with these particular products, but they are all put together so you don't have to spend hours making your own. Just a quick trip to the store or buy online. Buy one of these and then add to it with dry goods and the stuff you like - if nothing else its a good base emergency supply. The reason they have a long shelf life is because they are sealed and all water is removed. They must be re-hydrated in order to consume.

I'm a backpacker and I've used the Mountain House products many times and they are not that bad, but they cost several bucks a meal. Note these have a seven (7) year shelf life because they are dehydrated and packaged and sealed very well.

[edit on 26-7-2008 by verylowfrequency]

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join