It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people getting so fat?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 25 2008 @ 10:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by galatea

Originally posted by Sonya610

Originally posted by Blaine91555Inability to buy high priced healthy foods.

I don't agree with that one. For the price of a big mac, fries and drink ($5-$6) one can make a decent meal of meat, veggies, etc... Or a decent sandwich with high quality meat, bread, etc..

Sure if one wants to buy the most expensive organic meat and vegetables it can get expensive but that is NOT necessary. People can eat cheap without eating junk, frozen veggies, pasta, rice, peanut butter, cheaper cuts of meat, there are lots of choices that are not all that costly.

So, you are saying that for 5 dollars I can get meat, veggies and bread? Please let me know where you are shopping.!... and if I just get the cheap food it's just as unhealthy for me as mcdonalds.

Agreed. It boggles my mind how something that is grown from the earth, is more expensive than a processed food. You can walk into a fast food joint and buy a couple of items off any value menu and have a large meal. For the same amount of money, you can buy maybe two pieces of fruit.

That is why we have so many over weight people. It is economicly feasible to eat unhealthy, because health food is just too expensive.

[edit on 25-7-2008 by testrat]

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 04:30 AM
link   
reply to post by testrat

Aren't there grocery stores dedicated to the selling of healthy food? Why don't more people go to those?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:02 AM
link   
Around here the real question is this.....

Why are people so SKINNY? In my year level there's only about 5 people who are overweight... out of over a hundred people. Are Australians really fit or is it something else?

posted on Jul, 26 2008 @ 08:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by C0bzz
In my year level there's only about 5 people who are overweight... out of over a hundred people. Are Australians really fit or is it something else?

Year level? Are you in highschool? I think it is natural for most teenagers to be pretty skinny during high school, particularly the males. Its that gangley stage, they muscle up mid twenties.

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 03:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by testrat

Aren't there grocery stores dedicated to the selling of healthy food? Why don't more people go to those?

'Cause healthy food is whack, not enough sugar in it. Unlike fatty-foods that make me

[edit on 27-7-2008 by Raspberry-red]

posted on Jul, 27 2008 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Raspberry-red

HAH say that when your in your 50s and suffering from diabetes, prostate problems. It's funny how people want to live fast and die young and then they reach this age of impotence. lol

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
reply to post by testrat

Have you ever been to one? They are expensive. Last week I bought a salad from Whole Foods (one of these healthy grocery stores), and it cost $18 dollars. Sort-of high for some vegetables.

posted on Jul, 28 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I agree with testrat that eating healthy away from home is usually more expensive, with a few spectacular exceptions such as bean burritos and sometimes veggie burgers.

The biggest single cause of obesity is restaurant portion size. Face it, when you eat out, the restaurant only needs you to live long enough to pay the bill.

The next biggest cause of obesity is high fructose corn syrup (according to Andrew Weil, MD), which is now in at least 99% of all processed food.

My solution is homemade food for meals away from home. If you plan ahead a little, it's actually not a big deal. Takes about 2-3 months to get used to being reorganized this way, then it becomes automatic. Within a few weeks you will definitely start feeling better and lighter, mentally as well as physically. You can do it! Cheers.

Oh, I use steel lunch containers such as those available on Pearl River website:

www.pearlriver.com...

[edit on 7/28/2008 by Uphill]

posted on Jul, 29 2008 @ 08:52 AM
link   
Man, I knew I was right for refusing to ride the motorized carts at my work just to move it from one door to the other. I always say to my co-workers "I just know if I get in that thing, some ignoramous is going to think I am riding it just because they think I am fat and lazy."

Also, fat people don't share? Where the heck do some people get that logic? I also would like to know where the idea that fat people eat out constantly three times a day came from? Sure that may be true for some but I am sure it isn't the majority.

For me personally, I eat too much. Not all the time, I mean, I don't gorge every single day but I am an emotional eater and so when I have had a bad day, I tend to eat more. I also think that with me personally there is also a genetic factor, every single woman in my family has gotten fat after they had kids. That's what happened to me too. I do feel like I get enough exersize at work, so I really do think that for me, food is the problem.

I am not usually the one to blame outside sources for obesity either however I do agree with the stance on high-fructose corn syrup. I am way addicted to soda which has high fructose corn syrup.

I also think that there is a lot of pressure in our society to look a certain way which can also fuel an emotional eater. Now I am not saying that as an excuse but it certainly does make it harder to abstain.

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 02:50 PM
link   
I would say it's a combination of three things....

1. Hgih Fructose Corn Syrup.....plain and simple
  2. The Food Pyramid
  3. The blaming of dietary fat for heart disease, obesity, insulin resistance, high blood pressure, high cholesterol.....

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 03:07 PM
link   
I forgot one.....

1. Lack of exercise

And probably too much of this......

posted on Aug, 4 2008 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

"I'd like a Double-Double, hold the lettuce and heavy on the secret sauce!"

"Oh yeah, don't forget the extra salty fries. Wait.... Make that a mega-large please."

<< 1  2   >>

join