It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why are people getting so fat?

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:19 PM
link   
Whenever I see people around me it's like I can't stop but seeing people that are obese and I am just shocked that they don't really care about how much they weigh. How could they be gaining so much weight? I don't think these people weighed as much as they do now when they were younger. What is causing so many people to become as fat as they are?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Frankidealist35

im guessing its the shift in timeline, kidding

look at how we live, everything is practically at our finger tips so we dont have to do much
could have something to do with how high calorie food is in general esp. fast food and everything is super sized, grande etc

granted there have always been over weight people, but i think alot of it has to do with our sedentary lifestyle and not really being active cause everything is either online, or can be ordered or machines are taking humans places in workforce

by the way

there is no real conspiracy here

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   

Cause their eating to much and and posting to much

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:33 PM
link   
You can answer this question by answering the question "Why are people so lazy?"

In the old days, people walked more, farmed or worked for food. These days people get in their car and drive to get fast food or gorge at an all you can eat buffet.

Little effort required to do anything, question is, why do people let themselves get to that point? Its a walking advertisement you are lazy and have no self dislipline.

Some people have thyroid and other health issues of course, but most of it is lazy people.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
People are getting obese because human beings were meant to live much as the rest of animals do. For most of our species' history, life has been a daily struggle of hunting and scavenging for food. There was no forty-hour work week, no fast food joints and certainly no Internet or television to entertain us while we sit around and eat chips.

Now most of us in the civilized world have to make an effort to maintain good health - to do the default is likely to make us fat. We've got to watch our diets and get a decent amount of exercise in. Unlike our ancestors, life does not require us to stay in shape, and unfortunately, the strongest and fittest are no longer the only humans who get to survive and pass on their genes.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:39 PM
link   
The aliens are fattening us up to eat us

or:

An overweight America may be fixated on fat and obsessed with carbs, but nutritionists say the real problem is much sweeter -- we're awash in sugar.

Not just any sugar, but high fructose corn syrup.

The country eats more sweetener made from corn than from sugarcane or beets, gulping it down in drinks as well as in frozen food and baked goods. Even ketchup is laced with it.

Almost all nutritionists finger high fructose corn syrup consumption as a major culprit in the nation's obesity crisis. The inexpensive sweetener flooded the American food supply in the early 1980s, just about the time the nation's obesity rate started its unprecedented climb.
We're drowning in high fructose corn syrup. Do the risks go beyond our waistline?

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Eat too much

Dont exercise enough

Case Closed...except for the very very *very* few instances of genetics...

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by xstealth
You can answer this question by answering the question "Why are people so lazy?"

In the old days, people walked more, farmed or worked for food. These days people get in their car and drive to get fast food or gorge at an all you can eat buffet.

Little effort required to do anything, question is, why do people let themselves get to that point? Its a walking advertisement you are lazy and have no self dislipline.

Some people have thyroid and other health issues of course, but most of it is lazy people.

Yes, I definitly agree. I am around International Airports a lot as a Taxi serviceman. I notice that MOST obese(huge) people that I meet are from the States. All the Europeans I have come across are mostly average to skinny, Except for some English people. Just an observation over several years.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:06 PM
link   

I bealive it's our food. Today whatever you can buy in the market like food,drinks ect they have pesticides these pesticides slowly klls us.

It kills us on a nano scale which when you add every day and every year of all the food you eat this adds up the damage causing organs to fail now it would get your hormones out of wake. These pesticides causes alot of problems and symptoms like depression and many other types may be the result of this. This could cause people getting fat or people eating fatty foods yet don't gain any weight at all. The pesticides would cause digestive problems causing over weight and also people not gaining weight at all even if they eat nothing but fatty foods.

Google organic foods you will find many sites that will give you a more detailed and a better explanation then me.

This is also a reason why people today are more tired. This is main cause it makes you weak so if you have a stressful job it would have an impact on your health. So stress, fatty foods could make your health even worst but still even eating healthy foods you still will have these problems but it wont be as bad if you ate fatty food or artificial foods.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:11 PM
link   
Oh, and another note. My Pet Peeve are seeing Huge Obese women with fat hanging over their ankles with blue veins and lumpy skin on their fat legs.......Jesas H. Christe! give me a break!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:14 PM
link   
Mostly bad food choices and lack of exercise, but I’ve no doubt that MSG, Aspartame, HFCS, hydrogenated oils, etc. are contributing factors. I’m about 20 lbs. or so overweight myself, and it’s mostly just laziness. I have lost a few working in my garden this summer though.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Well, I dont think its easy or right to generalize the public by just saying they eat too much or are lazy.. I, myself could stand to lose a little weight..but it's not because I sit around and do nothing but watch Oprah and eat bon bon's..
I have 2 kids I chase after everyday, not to mention their many activities they both have..playing on the playground, taking hikes in the mountains, etc... My son always asks me, "mama, why don't you eat more than you do?" I dont sit around a gorge myself.. Im lucky if I get to eat lunch and supper.. so that's not my problem.. I think that I am one of the VERY few people who just got stuck with the fat gene.. and it MAJORLY sucks! but there ARE quite a few people, who Im sure are so comfortable with being overweight or have such low self esteem, they've just given up..

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:50 PM
link   
What kills me is all the fat people in the grocery store driving there mobile fat carts around filled with garbage food.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It's a lack of exercise. I hardly eat as it is (and I eat healthily) but I put on weight if I sit for a week at a desk. If I get out and walk around for a couple of consecutive days, I lose weight rapidly.

Lifestyle is the biiiiig problem. It's just identifying it that most people suffer with.

I make a point of getting exercise because I have a "desk job".

[edit on 23-7-2008 by mirageofdeceit]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 08:59 PM
link   
I read a great science thing recently about how fat people arent unhealthy because they are fat, but because they are effectively starving to death.

it was about how they eat which satisfies their hunger, but what they eat isnt of any nutritional value, so they put on the fat, but still dont have the vitamins n minerals they need to stay healthy. so despite being HUGE, they are basically starving to death. interesting

of course that only applies to the really bad eaters, not those who are obese but still eat good food too.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   
The answer- High Fructose corn syrup in everything
Not enuff exercise-too much time spent in front
of 2-dimensional screens like TV and internet.

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:15 PM
link   
its the ETs' fault. Don't you learn from the threads on here? "aliens eating humans, invasion danger"...they're fattening you up so you will be succulent to dine on

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frankidealist35
Whenever I see people around me it's like I can't stop but seeing people that are obese and I am just shocked that they don't really care about how much they weigh. How could they be gaining so much weight? I don't think these people weighed as much as they do now when they were younger. What is causing so many people to become as fat as they are?

Like another poster said High fructose corn syrup is causing people to fill out like cattle. Artificial sweeteners also cause people to store fat and crave sweets. About thirty years ago, the government stopped requiring farmers add phosphorous to crops since then the nutritional quality of our food has plummeted. People eat more food to replace nutrients their food lacks. Chickens and cows are fed artificial supplements which cause them to bulk up quickly. So when you eat chicken or beef which has been artificially bulked up it does the same for you.

Tap water has flouride which was used by Germans in concentration camps to keep inmates docile. Now trace elements of psyche drugs are in the water supply which accounts for why people do not seem to notice or care that they have been turned into carnival freaks.

[edit on 23-7-2008 by eradown]

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I do admit I am overweight. 6'3" and 250 lbs. Alot of it is muscle, but there's more beer belly than I care to admit.

However, I was once at my "nominal" weight as described by today's doctors. I got told more than once that it looked like I had cancer. I'm not stressing over my weight anymore...when the apocalypse comes all you skinny people are gonna die first!

posted on Jul, 23 2008 @ 09:24 PM
link   
this makes me laugh and think of a friend of mine in the UK who brings his family once a year to Disneyworld in FL. Every year when he gets home he always says "You bloody Yanks are getting fatter every year!!" I have to laugh, he tells me that every restaurant they eat in here in the U.S., he and his wife split ONE entree' because the portions are so huge!

It's everything, an overabundance of food, most of it junk with additives, HUGE portions at most restaurants that even the obese over eaters can't finish... I brought home leftovers from Carraba's, an Italian chain and seriously, had two more meals out of the leftovers!

Couple that with the majority of us doing no physical activity, no one having the time, money or "insert whatever excuse you want here" etc...

I don't see kids that much, except in malls, but I was at a HS car wash getting my car washed for some charity and I noticed just about every other HS kid, boy or girl was well over normal weight...it's very sad.

<<   2  3 >>

join