It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Survive yourself?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:18 PM
link   
As this is a survival forum, I'd like to pose a question:

It's all fair and good, creating a AWOL/BOB bag, planning for SitX, locating cache sites, stockpiling goods, but has anyone ever thought about "true" survival?

By true survival, I mean the intense emotions that one is faced with in a true live or die scenario.

I'v read peoples post about preparing this, or preparing that, you could be the most prepared person on the planet, but if mentally you can't cope with the situation, then whats 600Lb's of stored food going to do for you?

I think the emphasis with regards to survival should focus, primarily, on the survival mentality, if you want to live and truly want to live, then you will regardless of the situation.

I'm sorry, but I can see half of the survivor experts not making it, due to the fact that they don't have the nescessary mindset to actually survive.

You can have all the tools, knowledge, equipment, preparations in the world, but if you ain't got the "I will live whatever it takes" mindset, then you won't simply.

I'm not knocking anyone here, but I would, personally, eat cr*p for 7 days if it ment survival.

Just a thought anyways people, tell me to be quiet if you like

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

This is where practise comes into it.
Mental preparation comes under that category too.

First you need the will to survive,then a few basics of knowledge.

You are quite right that a mountain of gear won't help you if you don't know how to use it.
Varying stages of practise will overcome the fear that comes with the unknown.

They don't just give you a gun and push you towards the front line in the army.. they train you first.

Same with..say..skiing.. you aren't given a set of skis and pushed off a mountain.. you start with the nursery slopes..gain confidence..and pretty soon that mountain is shouting out your name.

Target the areas that will give you greatest cause for concern..
can you get your shelter up in a few minutes?..get a fire started in wet and wind?

Backyard technique training,hiking or camping trips for a couple of days then weeks will get you on track.

Of course if you're talking about the shock of war,disease or disaster then it's going to be alien territory unless you've seen a little of the world.

[edit on 20-7-2008 by AGENT_T]

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:49 PM
link   
After seeing how my neighbours are preparing for their camping trip next week, I am certain that I have a much greater chance of survivability than most people.

I guess outside of the survival forum, it's common for people to go camping with an all-screen tent with no coverings, and not bringing a tarp.
Don't want to know what else is wrong with that picture.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Death_Kron

I think the emphasis with regards to survival should focus, primarily, on the survival mentality, if you want to live and truly want to live, then you will regardless of the situation.

I'm sorry, but I can see half of the survivor experts not making it, due to the fact that they don't have the nescessary mindset to actually survive.

You can have all the tools, knowledge, equipment, preparations in the world, but if you ain't got the "I will live whatever it takes" mindset, then you won't simply.

I am simply stunned. You do not become a good survivalist practitioner by being either mentally weak / weak of spirit.

You can see half of survior experts not making it? I can see 99% of non-survivalist trained folks not 'making it'. Odds are far higher for those who know what to do / how to do it.

If you are prepped and ready, SITX will be hard, but not intolerable. If your not prepped, SITX becomes a living breathing nightmare the first sign of night fall on day 1...

Mankind is 3 hot meals and 1 nights sleeplessness away from savagery.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:53 PM
link   
I won't tell you to be quite. You have given this some serious thought and have a very rational question on basic human instinct.

I will survive if I am able to function. I had this talk to myself years ago and decided if I was going to go through the motions, then I better be able to walk the walk.

My wife and I used to go out and perform minimalistic camping. We'd go to a state park with basically a tarp. Everything else was found, caught, or made. Live like this for a week and you'll know what your outcome will be.

You'd be amazed at how much a person doesn't know. My wife is just as nuts as I am about survival and she actually has some better skills.

Regardless of what people say, this isn't everyone's cup of tea. As you say, you have the stockpiles, you have desire to live or else you wouldn't have the stockpiles, but the will to live... that's a whole different animal.

Your thread should strike a nerve for some thought provoking responses, as people who are involved with any form of survival should have had this self talk.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Yarcofin
After seeing how my neighbours are preparing for their camping trip next week, I am certain that I have a much greater chance of survivability than most people.

I guess outside of the survival forum, it's common for people to go camping with an all-screen tent with no coverings, and not bringing a tarp.
Don't want to know what else is wrong with that picture.

Tell me your joking yes? no covering and no tarp? Goodness me... They should spend a while in ATS survival forum.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by Death_Kron

By all means Don't be quite. You are correct in every aspect. Even if you had been wrong which you were not, you were not rude or condescending about it.

Star and flag from me.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by hinky , as people who are involved with any form of survival should have had this self talk.

Not JUST the talk.. but the life or death decision experience too..

From dumped in a storm 2 miles offshore with a long swim..or a short sink..
to a fire 4 storeys up and all exits blocked..except for the improvised one .

More than anything,these two experiences involved a decision..stay or go.. live or emm ..don't.

Death holds no fears anymore,but the idea of a survival challenge is just too good to pass up without an effort.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Someone will correct me if i am wrong i am sure, but i am sure that i read or heard somewhere, that given a number of people stranded in a survival situation ..... A third will die, a third will survive and a third could go either way. This I believe was based on survival mindset or basically 'the will to live'.

I amongst others on this forum have seen people who basically have given up the 'will to live' on numerous occasions. It always surprises me, how quickly 'they go' once their minds are set.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
Someone will correct me if i am wrong i am sure, but i am sure that i read or heard somewhere, that given a number of people stranded in a survival situation ..... A third will die, a third will survive and a third could go either way. This I believe was based on survival mindset or basically 'the will to live'.

I amongst others on this forum have seen people who basically have given up the 'will to live' on numerous occasions. It always surprises me, how quickly 'they go' once their minds are set.

Its 65% will die, 15% will survive, and the remaining 20% could go either way.

The 15% will be those who are prepped and have experience of shockingly aweful conditions before the actual sitx event. As for the 20%? well good luck to them. The 65%? get outta my way because your slowing me down......

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
No-one really knows how they will react in any given situation unless it has happend to them before. That is one of the reasons people practice their various skills and equip themselves with certain bits of gear etc.

Survival is not just about being 'minimalistic', living off the fat of your arse, its also about being above the 'just surviving level' and living reasonably comfortable or even thriving in the situation you are in.

We can all live in caves like our forebears did, but i would rather live in a detached 2 storey cave with power and a large screen HD TV

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

Thanks Dan for the correct percentages .... i wasnt too far out ish

I knew you would have the statistics.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

Death holds no fears anymore,but the idea of a survival challenge is just too good to pass up without an effort.

Spoken like a man who stared death in the face, kicked him in the balls and ran away to live and fight another day.

I like it!

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:30 PM
link   

BOY is that just the eeriest thing you ever saw?

I don't know if it was the effects of dehydration or exhaustion too..but I watched a fairly healthy guy,mentally and physically, up and quit on a desert trek.

Middle of nowhere and he just sat down and said he was just going to stay there!!!

It actually took a satellite call and a rescue chopper to get him off his butt again.

In another case a pilot mate had attended a shipwreck and went down over land with the survivors aboard.(mech failure)
Even though he knew his chances were slim,he still steered it all the way down (till he hit at 140mph sending him through the floor).

He wears his 18" scar across his torso with pride..not for himself but the fact that all the passengers survived

All because of a little determination and presence of mind.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AGENT_T

BOY is that just the eeriest thing you ever saw?

I don't know if it was the effects of dehydration or exhaustion too..but I watched a fairly healthy guy,mentally and physically, up and quit on a desert trek.

You know the strange thing is ...... the peace that comes over them when they have made that decision to die ........... spooks me out everytime i see it.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Weird isn't it? They smile like a sodding saint and just 'pop off'.. leaving you thinking 'wtf is going on?'.. I hated it.

Any how. Two things. T, chopper pilots are taught (especially military ones) to never, ever stop flying the aircraft, fly it all the way in, crash or no crash. It has saved hundreds of lives in the SF community in areas like Iraq and Afghanistan.

second, that 'fit dude' needed some good old rehydration. A 2% body weight loss of fluid causes a 20% drop in ability to function. More than this really is 'mind numbing' territory. Dehyrdration is a killer as we all know.

Thats why all good SITX survivors have a good water supply / filter all lined up!

I love you guys, I really do. You make me bloody proud to be an ATS'er who is prepped and can share with like minded folk.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:42 PM
link   
Just curious here but it sounds to me like there are several military or retired military on this thread? Most all military personal who has seen any kind of action knows the look.

It haunts the dreams of those who have seen it. Something about the eyes. I have never been able to put my finger on it, nor do I want to pin it down because that requires a trip into a place As a survivor I am not able to go.

I am built to try to live at all cost and can not fathom giving up.

Like the song says dying aint much of a living when your living on the edge.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
Hey you guys have some great posts, I cant really give any advice my self since I'm a youngin' and I havent been in this situation to many times so I'll just ask...where do you think that will to live comes from? Could it be mental/physical or is it different for each person?

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:51 PM
link   
reply to post by fred3110

Where does the will come from? good question.

Me? it comes from deep inside, a primevil instinct to live at all costs, like a deeply hidden bright lamp burning inside that never wants to be extinguished.

posted on Jul, 20 2008 @ 07:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dan Tanna

I know the effects of mild dehydration well.

I spent a year in Israel..the first few months of which I was taken unaware by the sheer DRY heat..
Even taking 2l of water for a 2 mile hike obviously wasn't enough with my delicate porcelain-like skin

Within a week I had almost quit sweating during daytime,peeing was almost a luxury.
I thought I had everything perfectly balanced until I got a momma of a bladder infection.. ouch..

You couldn't 'get a sweat on' as the sun was burning the liquid off your skin/clothes as soon as it hit the surface.

In comparison,the gulf and its humidity was a 'breeze'.

I want to do an expedition in totally opposite conditions.. anyone fancy Greenland for training?

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join