It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Blind and Ill Woman Tased by Ohio Police

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Blind and Ill Woman Tased by Ohio Police

rawstory.com

According to WHIO TV, "Dayton police said they went to an apartment building on Fernwood Avenue looking for a robbery suspect and ended up tazing the man's mother who is legally blind."

Police allege that 49-year-old Denise Harris "refused to talk with them and became combative, striking out at an officer. According to officers, when they tried to arrest her, she resisted and they tased her."

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:11 PM
link   
I honestly don't know what to say anymore...I'm left scratching my head in disbelief at some of these tase-happy events.

So let me get this straight, this BLIND, CANCER-STRICKEN woman is not a suspect, but gets harrassed, refuses to speak to the cops (which is her right), becomes combative, and they TASE and arrest her?

Now, I really can't find the right words here, but aren't there any police officers out there capable of subduing and controlling a blind, sick, 49 year old woman without resorting to frying her with electricity?

This has gotten so out of control anymore that it's beyond disturbing...

Despite neighbors' claims that the officers used unnecessary force on the woman, who is reportedly suffering from diabetes and cancer, Dayton police said Harris would be charged with assaulting a police officer and resisting arrest. The incident is under investigation.

rawstory.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 12:25 PM
link   
Their is nothing to say. Police apologists will say we need to get the whole story and ask everyone to stop bashing on police. Honest citizens will keep their mouths shut because if they dare to speak they may get tazed for disorderly conduct and disrespecting police authority....

[/S]

Truth is.... we bacame a fascist nation a few years back... it just takes awhile for the populas to accept it. Those that refuse to accept it will be tazed detained and shipped off to you local re-education centers.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
SOME police men and women make it very hard not to hate and despise ALL police men and women. No compassion and fear come to mind (possibly lazyness and some type of sadistic satisfaction) within these police men and womens' minds. If they had compassion and empathy, then maybe this event would have never occurred. I say all this with granting that the story is 100 percent true of course.

-Joe-

[edit on 19-7-2008 by Unlimitedpossibilities]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:10 PM
link   
This must state much about todays police training and fitness programs. Officers are apparently unable to defeat attacks by or subdue without weapons a BLIND person. Good news for criminals in that town.

Add this to the long 'unbelievable taser use' list.

[edit on 7/19/2008 by roadgravel]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:18 PM
link   
the only thing worse than police brutality is police apologists

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Ok let me make sure I got this right...we all know I can be slow sometimes....

A women who is not a suspect, refuses to speak to officers (which is her right to do) and somehow manages to become "combative" so they tase her.

So I have to ask.... how freaking hard is it to get out of the way of a punch from a blind person!??? Seriously... I highly doubt it was a very threatening situation for a trained police officer. I know police don't like to give up any ground but this cop couldn't take 2 steps back and let the blind women swing at the air?

If I was this women's neighbor I would be sitting in jail for beating the crap out of this control freak pig. Sorry to the cops who actually do a good job, but this cop is a freaking pig and it is cops like this that make the wholebunch look bad in the eyes of the public. I am sure it takes a real big tough guy to win a physical confrontation with a blind person who has cancer!! Whats next?? Knocking people out of their wheelchairs?? Oh wait.. these pigs have already done that as well! Maybe it's time to go to teh Special Olympics and beat up and tase all these dangerous individuals as well. That should make them feel really powerful and tough then!

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   
Its sick.To do that.Its an embarrassment to the police that large fit officers have to taze a sick old woman.It makes them look like cowards.And shows there lack of skills.
However there is a reason they are motivated by there superiors to use these devices alot.A kind of psychological warfare.
If they taze a sick old woman, and the public sees it, then the hardcore criminals think wtf?Who are we up against here these cops are ice cold.
And would be more inclined to think twice about things.
Some bizarre attempt to make the criminals see the Police as a tougher adversary.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Being_From_Earth

I like your theory.

When I first read this I immediately thought unbelievable, she must have a shotgun with her or something !

But no, its disgusting how they get away with it, but I see what you say in your comments about the 'fear factor' of it all.

If they are prepared to give it to an elderly lady with a huge disadvantage, then anyone can get it.

Wait for the reports of a kid under the age of 12 or something getting it.

Peace

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:18 PM
link   
another step towards hunting season for cops..i can honestly say things like this make me happy when they get shot....

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:39 PM
link   
Where to begin...

Being legally blind does not mean you have zero vision.

Approximately ten percent of those deemed legally blind, by any measure, have no vision. The rest have some vision, from light perception alone to relatively good acuity.

Source

Should the cops ask if the person has any medical boo hoos that would morally effect a beat down? Come on. If you have diabetes, cancer and low vision you can still be dangerous.

How do we know she was not withholding information / assisting an offender (her son).

If she is crazy enough to take a swing at a cop, who says she couldn't do more crime.

She deserves no taser immunity.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by Being_From_Earth
If they taze a sick old woman, and the public sees it, then the hardcore criminals think wtf?Who are we up against here these cops are ice cold.
And would be more inclined to think twice about things.
Some bizarre attempt to make the criminals see the Police as a tougher adversary.

I am not a criminal so I cannot say how one would think. But from the point of view of a person, I have to disagree. I see this as a weakness. It also helps remove some respect, concern and support for them. I say it makes it easier for me if I were in a confrontation.

May be it works the other way for other people, not me.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by LestatG
reply to post by Being_From_Earth

Wait for the reports of a kid under the age of 12 or something getting it.

Peace

Already a thing of the past. lol

www.indybay.org...

www.local6.com...

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:44 PM
link   
(Regarding Dulcimers comments)

Come on do you really think that the incident justifies a Taser?

I have seen police take down grown men with bats, I highly doubt that an unarmed woman in her 50's with Cancer and the rest of it is justification to use a taser.

Talk about reasonable force, sounds way too harsh

[edit on 19/7/2008 by LestatG]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by DimensionalDetective

Holy S*!t now that is unbelievable, 6 years old!!!!

I said under 12 half jesting, then I see a 6 year old an 11 year old girl get it,

My God what is the world coming to.

(Or the police force and PTB)!

edit - Are the Police trigger Happy, regulation lets them or just real pussies?

Cheers DD, enlightened me once more

[edit on 19/7/2008 by LestatG]

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:49 PM
link   
I would not be surprised if the cops helped to rile her up so that an assault charge could come into play and therefore an arrest. Don't assist the cops, you go to jail.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
That is the part that I cannot know, and it is possible, that the cops worked her up enough to get her fighting and then charged her that way.

I am not a fan of excessive force, but if she really was out of line, no matter the condition, you just can't stand back and hope for safety.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

Do agree that if a person is truly out of line then they suffer the results. I also believe that the police are changing the tactics and it is not for the better. Not sure if it is a power/control thing or the 'don't give a damn' any more.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Dulcimer

My biggest beef with this scenario is the fact that they TASED this middle aged woman. There seems to be a lack of discretion and common sense being used nowadays with this type of stuff. Even if the woman WASN'T blind or sick, this is a 50 year old woman. I cannot justify blasting a 50 year old woman with 50-100,000 volts of electricity to subdue her, when an average sized cop (with the proper training) should EASILY be able to manipulate this individual into a position to restrain her. The use of ELECTROCUTION by LE has spun completely out of control.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 04:13 PM
link   
If you hate this taser story, you will really hate this one. Even I shake my head.

www.cbc.ca...

An elderly man in Kamloops, B.C., was zapped three times on the torso by a police stun gun while lying on his hospital bed, CBC News has learned.

Frank Lasser, 82, appeared fragile Thursday when he showed the Taser marks on his body and talked about the ordeal he went through Saturday.

"They [police] should have known I had bypass surgery," Lasser told CBC News.

Lasser has had heart surgery and needs to carry an apparatus to supply oxygen at all times.

This is a time when even though the guy is armed, cmon, get the knife away from him some other way!

"I was laying on the bed by then and the corporal came in, or the sergeant, I forget which it was, and said to the guys, 'OK, get him because we got more important work to do on the street tonight,'" Lasser said.

And they nailed him THREE TIMES!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join