It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

McCain POW bud: Muslims 'going to kill us'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

McCain POW bud: Muslims 'going to kill us'

miamiherald.typepad.com

In a phone call with reporters arranged by Republican Party of Florida, Colonel Bud Day added: "I don't intend to kneel and I don't advocate to anybody that we kneel, and John doesn't advocate to anybody that we kneel.''

Day, who lives in Pensacola, was part of the Swift Boat Veterans for Truth that smeared former Democratic nominee John Kerry's war record in 2004.

Muslim leaders have complained that they have been villified as terrorists since the Sept. 11 attacks.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
thinkprogress.org

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   
This is a good example fo the many mistakes made by the republican party and their control of the 'war on terror' as well as the misguided ideals of McCain himself.

I would really like to know where Mr. Day got his quote, that the Muslim world wants us to kneel or die? I find that to be insulting to my intelligence. While I do realize the existance of extremists in the middle east I do not stoop to assuming the kind of threat this man chooses to portray.

Most importantly is the complete lack of any political / diplomatic savvy in such statements. We have seen time and time again the consequences of Bush's lack of refinement to accept drivel like this is only begging for more of the same.

We don't need another president who who stands up to represent our country and bumbles and giggles like an idiot spouting off comments like "bomb, bomb, bomb Iran".

If we are going to 'win' the war on terror we are going top startt acting respectfully and diplomatically.

miamiherald.typepad.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 01:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by Animal
I would really like to know where Mr. Day got his quote, that the Muslim world wants us to kneel or die?

Here ya go. Convert or die. That's the way of RADICAL Islam.

No mystery. It's all there.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan
Here ya go. Convert or die. That's the way of RADICAL Islam.
No mystery. It's all there.

So what's your point? Sure there are Muslim extremists, and they should be prosecuted. But is this a reason to lauch a generalising "war on terror" against all Muslims?

Here are some quotes from Christian extremists:

Christian Extremism

This is one that I found quite compelling:

We should invade their countries, kill their leaders and convert them to Christianity. We weren't punctilious about locating and punishing only Hitler and his top officers. We carpet-bombed German cities; we killed civilians. That's war. And this is war.

So should we now fear all Christians?

Animal makes a good point in his second post. I think they should stop pointing their finger at the whole Muslim community and shout terrorist terrorist terrorist.

And mind you I live in a country where out of 16 million people 1 million are Muslim...and I'm still alive...

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 02:45 PM
link   
The video in the source link shows just how wishy-washy Barack Hussein Obama is. He practices the politics of expediency. He has no qualms about lying bald-faced and denying that he said something contrary just a few months ago. His character reeks of inexperience and immaturity.

His curse is that his lies and flip-flops have been caught on videotape. The Republican party should use those tapes to pound him into the ground.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:04 PM
link   
So if we're going to crucify McCain over something his "friend" said, then are we also preparing a cross and space on the hillside for Obama over his pastor?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by burdman30ott6
then are we also preparing a cross and space on the hillside for Obama over his pastor?

Not in this thread. Obama isn't the topic.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:19 PM
link   
What exactly is the topic then, Intrepid? Is it that a former POW made an arguably stereotypical comment about Muslims? Is it to initiate discussion on whether the comment had validity? Or was it an excuse to smear John McCain over a comment made by an acquaintence of his posted by an admitted Obama voter? If it's the first two, then you're right, Obama isn't related to the topic. If it's the latter, then it certainly is related to the topic.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:28 PM
link   

Or was it an excuse to smear John McCain over a comment made by an acquaintence of his posted by an admitted Obama voter? ...then it certainly is related to the topic.

Interesting logic but, um, no, it isn't the topic.

More to come on this.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
I just saw over on thinkprogress where McSame is back to fear-mongering the "al qaeda attack prior to the elections" nonsense. Different day, same old song...

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 03:58 PM
link   
Double post-sorry.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by DimensionalDetective]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Since when does one man's comment, (and one unelected man at that) reflect the views of entire party? Isn't that like saying the random black guy at the gas station this morning represents all black people?

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:22 PM
link   

What exactly is the topic then, [Animal
]?

Is it that a former POW made an arguably stereotypical comment about Muslims?

No.

In a phone call with reporters arranged by Republican Party of Florida, Colonel Bud Day added: "I don't intend to kneel and I don't advocate to anybody that we kneel, and John doesn't advocate to anybody that we kneel.''

It is about the Republican party and, admittedly, indirectly McCain.

Is it to initiate discussion on whether the comment had validity?

It is a direct assault on the creditability of this statement.

Or was it an excuse to smear John McCain over a comment made by an acquaintance of his posted by an admitted Obama voter?

It is not a smear it is pointing out a very valid and worry flaw in John McCain's eligibility as president of the USA.

My point is this:

This is a good example of the many mistakes made by the republican party and their control of the 'war on terror' as well as the misguided ideals of McCain himself.

Although you are right that these are not McCain's words I still associate the flavor of them with Senator McCain. He has shown the same type of confrontational generalizations repeatedly (Bomb, bomb, bomb Iran; Kill 'em with Cigarettes; rape jokes; etc). What is more these words were made public with the aid of the republican party during an election cycle, which is a far cry from merely an 'association' of McCain's it is the PARTY he represents.

My point is that the republican party has done, at best, a miserable job of dealing with the conflict that began, at least in our minds, with 911. They have failed to act as respectable members of a global community and instead have acted with the mentality of a high school clique that is armed to the teeth.

I would really like to know where Mr. Day got his quote, that the Muslim world wants us to kneel or die? I find that to be insulting to my intelligence. While I do realize the existance of extremists in the middle east I do not stoop to assuming the kind of threat this man chooses to portray.

I know Muslims, even a few from the middle east and not ONE of them wants to kill me. I have never even caught a glimpse of veiled hate spitting from the corner of one of their eyes

As I said in my opening post, I know there are extremists out there, but they are not the majority and a statement like Mr. Day's:

"The Muslims have said either we kneel or they're going to kill us.''

He as the voice piece of the republican party makes the generalization against an entire cultural group, which is clearly idiocy.

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Animal]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Fastwalker81
So what's your point?

That was a whole lotta' preach'n ... for nothing.

There was no 'point'. The OP basically asked 'where do they get that idea' and so I provided a link showing where they get the idea. The link showed RADICAL Islam and how RADICAL Islam says 'convert or die' .. much the same way that the Catholic Church in Europe acted 800 years ago or how Puritan protestants acted in New England in the 1600s.

I know Muslims, even a few from the middle east and not ONE of them wants to kill me.

All the non-muslim people who knew Muhammed Atta said the same thing.
They were in shock that he did what he did on 9/11.

And while we are on it .. so did all the people who knew the Columbine killers as well as the other school shooters in this country. No one really knows what another person is thinking.

Each person is a mystery uiniverse unto themselves.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 04:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

Originally posted by Fastwalker81
So what's your point?

That was a whole lotta' preach'n ... for nothing.

There was no 'point'. The OP basically asked 'where do they get that idea' and so I provided a link showing where they get the idea. The link showed RADICAL Islam and how RADICAL Islam says 'convert or die' .. much the same way that the Catholic Church in Europe acted 800 years ago or how Puritan protestants acted in New England in the 1600s.

I see your point and at its essence it is an agreement with my point, that it is "RADICAL Islam" that is a threat not Muslims. Such a blanket accusation against a nation of people is fundamentally false.

I know Muslims, even a few from the middle east and not ONE of them wants to kill me.

All the non-muslim people who knew Muhammed Atta said the same thing.
They were in shock that he did what he did on 9/11.

And while we are on it .. so did all the people who knew the Columbine killers as well as the other school shooters in this country. No one really knows what another person is thinking.

Each person is a mystery uiniverse unto themselves.

Humans are very complex enigmatic creatures for sure, still I can assure you that those I know mean no harm to anyone nor would they afflict it. Of course there is always room for the unthinkable and I admit it I would be willing to 'bet the farm' on my faith in them as good human beings. Frankly I think there is a knowing that we all possess when we meet 'good' people.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 05:29 PM
link   
reply to post by Animal

Then my original point was very much on topic. As a self identified Obama voter, how do you justify brushing aside his association with Jeremiah Wright who's ideals Obama agreed with until it went public that Wright had a history of incendiary, racially motivated sermons from his pulpit? I would say that Jeremiah's comments about white Americans are very much the same type of dangerous, unproductive generalizations as you argue this former POW's comments about Muslims were.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 06:50 PM
link   
reply to post by burdman30ott6

Actually I would say your point is in fact off topic because the topic of this thread is on statements made by the Republican Party and Republican Operative who has direct ties to McCain via the party and the party's use of his statements.

Still I can see a tenuous connection and I will answer it. As I noted above what Mr. Wright said in his church regardless of his connection to Obama is dramatically different than statements made by a man in a situation set up by the republican party for the purpose of political maneuvering.

Sure Mr. Wright's comments were out of line but they were not made by a political party the difference should be obvious.

That is all I will say in regards to this line of logic because it si fundamentally a detraction from the topic of the thread as can be see in the discussion of the legitimacy of Mr Wright and his association to Obama.

The topic is the callous slander used by7 the republican party over the last 7.5 years that has left the USA mired in endless war and made us all look like fools. Most importantly it was a critique of McCain and his use of this same type of political / diplomatic 'unsavvy' and the danger it poses for our nation.

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:03 PM
link   
reply to post by FlyersFan

Most Muslims do not believe that and that also is NOT included in the laundry list of reasons that bin Laden planned and executed the attacks.

We have been over this before.

reply to post by burdman30ott6

Where have you been on all of the Obama smear threads? If you are anti-smear campaigns, shouldn't that work both ways. I mean, honestly, there is a thread about how Obama is good for terrorism and another about Obama being the anti-Christ.

Did you raise a stink there too?

[edit on 18-7-2008 by Sublime620]

posted on Jul, 18 2008 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unkle Greggo
Since when does one man's comment, (and one unelected man at that) reflect the views of entire party? Isn't that like saying the random black guy at the gas station this morning represents all black people?

The reason this 'one man's comment' is given extra intention is because it was a statement released as part of a Republican Party organized event, which makes it a political statement offered on behalf of, at the behest of, or with the consent of the party itself.

Your are still right that this does not mean that every member of the party thinks this way. Still it does reflect quite accurately the attitude of the republican party and the war of words they are waging on 'terrorism'.

posted on Jul, 19 2008 @ 05:11 AM
link   

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join