It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is $4.00+ gas really affecting you??

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Is it just me or has everybody else noticed that nothing has really changed due to gasoline and the price that it commands now.

The oil still gets here every day in our ports. Sure, it’s more expensive than it’s ever been, but we still use it as we have before, with out care for the most part. Planes still fly, cars still race, the military still does their exercises and trucks and trains still deliver the goods.

Check these numbers out:

According to the EIA, we produce slightly over 5,000,000 barrels a day in the US, Texas being the top producing state at some 1.1 million barrels a day. A barrel is 42 gallons or 7.33 barrels per metric ton. (funny… I always assumed barrels were 55 gallons!)

We EXPORT some 1.3 million barrels of total oil a day. What is that all about? We export oil? If oil is so precious, then why do we do that instead of using it here at home easing our need for foreign oil?

Canada is the top US supplier, with some 1.8 million barrels a day coming here. Most of it coming from the tar sands up there. Kinda makes you wonder about there role in the upcoming AMERO thing, huh? If you believe in that sort of thing…and yes. I do believe that theory will come true.

The US imports some 5.5 million barrels a day from OPEC.

The US total petroleum use per day is some 20.6 million barrels a day. That’s not just for gas and jet fuel. It’s the plastic’s industry as well as the wax industry and the lubricant’s industry as well.

Some 69% of US oil consumption is due to transportation. Cars, big trucks and rail.

We, in the US use some 388.6 million gallons a day. Gasoline only in this stat, no diesel included here.

The US government taxes gas at the rate of 18.4 cents a gallon.

If I did the math right that’s some 71.5 million a day in tax revenue.

I realize these numbers might not be accurate in today’s $140.00 a barrel for oil. If anything the numbers are higher and perhaps we use slightly less gasoline than before the price jump..

Answer honestly; do you try to save gas? Are you restricting your life to a huge degree because of gas prices? Are you conserving?

I can say honestly that I don’t conserve a whole lot. I ride my Harley’s when I want, take the car out when I want and when I have to get to work. When and if gas gets restricted I’ll adjust, but until then…the hell with it. I have a life to live.
Granted I don’t live on a fixed income and I have the disposable income to let my gas consumption not be a bother. Does that make me a bad person? I don’t think so. Gas costs x amount and I pay it without thought.

I realize that there are a lot of issues in this post and I’m looking foreword to seeing your responses.

I guess the point of all of this is that the government knows most of its citizens can absorb this higher priced gasoline and they’re running with it.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:20 PM
link   
The high gas prices have hit me so hard I had to sell the "or" so I could pay for the first two letters of the word that I may tell ya its making me "po"

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Hell ya it is, I have a job where I need to travel in the mornings about 4 days a week and I have cut way back on how far I go in search of antiques. Now with the threat of iran looming large and the price of oil still going up, who in America wont buy a motorcycle if possible, and also just cut way back. The snowball effect is rolling and I say cut back as much as you can to stick it to the ones who are sticking us.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Yes, I can honestly say that gas prices are affecting my family. As you have more discretionary income, your ability to ride this out is not going to be a problem. I find that I'm spending an extra $75+ a week on fuel. That easily adds up to over $300 a month. As a result, I'm a little more discerning as to where I spend my money.

Personal little luxuries have already gone out the window. I no longer get my nails done. Starbucks has been kicked to the curb. I'm wearing last year's fashions. Those things may sound a little vain, but I assure you it is a far cry from trying to live the high life.

I'm lucky though, we've got a roof over our head. Food on the table. No car notes to burden us down. We live within our means and don't rely on credit cards to get by.

Can you imagine how others, who may not be as fortunate, are faring as a result of these inflated gas prices?

[edit on 7/12/2008 by maria_stardust]

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:37 PM
link   
I am lucky enough that I have enough to cover the extra cost, and still drive a sports car that gets less than 20 miles per gallon (city)... Im also lucky enough that I drive only 5 miles to work.

That said, Im fine for the time being.. but a neighbor and I were just talking about this very thing the other day.. there are lots of people out there that were only making it week to week before the surge in price... I dont know how they are doing it...and along with that food and electric prices are going up too. Here in Rhode Island, National grid was just given the go ahead to increase electric rates over 20%... thats right TWENTY percent. And that increase starts next week.

Its a sad day for those with families to support, or those out of work.. or sick & disabled..

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:40 PM
link   
no cause my gas is only 3.77usd.

sorry to hear you have to pay that much though..

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:44 PM
link   
I see it is affecting a lot of people. The streets where I live are becoming more filled with bicyclist and here people are stuck on their car for self worth and image so you know that is hitting many egos!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
I always rode my bike, took the bus, and the train, so not really. At least not directly.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrMysticism
I see it is affecting a lot of people. The streets where I live are becoming more filled with bicyclist and here people are stuck on their car for self worth and image so you know that is hitting many egos!

well for those that buy into global warming should be welcoming higher gas with open arms then. maybe this will go ahead a shot aulstrila in the worlds fattest country and the US can fall back into 2nd.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Although our prices here in Oklahoma have not yet gone over $4 a gallon, the higher prices are definitely affecting me and my family. My husband has begun to carpool with a coworker, we minimize and combine trips to save fuel, and have given up on visiting any of our out-of-town family this Summer. We have also given up our once-a-week meals out in a restaurant and haven't seen a movie in months.

Both of us are employed 25 or more miles from home, in different directions, and one of our two vehicles is a big ol' Chevy truck that gets maybe 10 or 12 mpg on a good day. Yes, it's hurting us, but there isn't much we can do about it that we aren't already doing.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I am currently in the San Francisco Bay area where gas prices are higher than average. I drive an SUV but I only drive one mile to work. So I even come home for lunch everyday and still only have to fill the tank once per month.

But I just got a job in Virginia so next weekend I'm driving across the country. I've budgeted $1000 for gas. I'm not towing a trailer this time so I'm sure my mileage will be better than the trip to the west coast last year.

Once I'm in Virginia, I'll still be one mile from work (I always plan it that way whenever I move for a job). So my daily commutes aren't really affected much, but the price of food is my biggest concern.

My dog is allergic to dogfood so I've been cooking chicken, rice and veggies for him for several years. Recently, the vet said he needs to lose weight. Knowing that the meat is injected with junk that causes obesity, I switched to organic chicken. Right now organic chicken just jumped from $6.99 to $8.99 per pound at my local Whole Foods Market. It costs me between $40 to $60 a week just to feed the dog. I'm trying to keep my personal food costs at a minimum but I only eat organic food as well (I get sick if I eat processed foods).

I'm hoping that most of the high costs are just due to living in the Bay area (it's stupidly expensive to live here). My one bedroom apartment costs $1770 per month and that's one of the less expensive ones that still keeps me in a safe area and close to my job. Across the street (on the water), the apartments are $1800 and up. Compare that to the apartment I'll be taking in Virginia that is only $1000 per month. If the groceries cost less there, then I'll be a happy camper.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   
» Is $4.00+ gas really affecting you?? »

Yes it is. Now I go fishing, vacationing in Mexico where gas cost $2.00 instead of Padre Island, Texas where gas is almost $4.00.

Now I can afford a condo in Mexico from the money saved from my frequent trips.

Why is Mexican gas only $2.00?

www.sandiego6.com...

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa
www.sandiego6.com...

The end of that article states:
"When we asked gas analyst, Charles Langley, why a country like Mexico can have cheaper gas, Langley answered very simply, “Mexico has price control."

Maybe I'm ignorant but what does that mean?

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by titorite
The high gas prices have hit me so hard I had to sell the "or" so I could pay for the first two letters of the word that I may tell ya its making me "po"

Your humor is killin me!!!

Chin up, it'll get better in time.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by annestacey

Originally posted by whaaa
www.sandiego6.com...

The end of that article states:
"When we asked gas analyst, Charles Langley, why a country like Mexico can have cheaper gas, Langley answered very simply, “Mexico has price control."

Maybe I'm ignorant but what does that mean?

Mexico's government owns Pemex, which is the major producer of crude oil in Mexico.

To mollify the masses, the Mexican government subsidizes gas retailers to lower prices at the pump.

Except that Pemex (and Mexico as a whole) doesn't have enough refinery capacity to make enough gasoline for the whole country.

So ... get this ... they sell crude oil to the U.S. at the going rate, buys back gasoline at the going rate (about 1/3 higher), and then knocks over 40% off of that price to sell to consumers.

Taxpayers foot the bill.

They're now banning Americans from buying gas in Tijuana because they've figured out that it is worth the trip.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:47 PM
link   
Not really too much because I live in a small town where everything I need is five minutes away. Then I only go up to the city about once a month. However, I have noticed the price of retail goods increasing due to gas prices and company costs to transport the merchandise to their stores so that is where it hits me.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:50 PM
link   
Yes is affecting every hard working American that have to budget their income to now include their gas usage as they do with everything else but is now a priority.

Yes is affecting travel, vacations and leisure, so hotels and tourism within our own nation by US citizens is down now.

But that is something that our government is not pubizicing.

7,000 Jobs Lost To Rising Cost Of Oil

money.cnn.com...

This is completely unacceptable … the rising price of gas is reeking havoc on Americans and the economy. The correlation among high gas prices, consumer confidence, the slowing economy and decreased spending is undeniable.

www.economyincrisis.org...

Three in ten Americans say record prices will alter their holiday weekend plans, according to a new poll.

money.cnn.com...

Yes American people are filling the pinch when it comes to gas prices.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 01:55 PM
link   
The Department of Transportation released figures from March that show the steepest decrease in driving ever recorded.

www.digitaljournal.com...

I wonder how the figures look like for May, June and now July.

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by marg6043

That's so sad, Marg. I worked for a major airlines as a flight attendant and was temporarily laid off for five months after 9/11. It kind of backfired on them, though, because we got a six month salary severance package plus unemployment plus we all got other jobs elsewhere but were all brought back in the springtime. So it was like a five month paid vacation plus double salary the first month we were brought back. We were also allowed to keep our free flight benefits during the temporary lay off so it was like we got paid to travel around the world. Oops! Somebody in corporate goofed that one up and ended up losing a lot of money for the company.

However, I quit in 2004 for good once my son was born so I was curious to know what is going on now with the airlines due to the increase of oil prices. I figured they would be laying off people again. Although I didn't work for American Airlines like that article mentions, I am sure the major airlines are experiencing something similar. Thanks for sharing!

posted on Jul, 12 2008 @ 02:06 PM
link   
Yes, it's affecting me. I have a 20 mile commute to work and I'm seriously thinking of moving into town so I can ride my bike to work.

Don't forget that it's still very early in this whole thing. A few months of high prices can be absorbed by a lot of people but when you talk about years of it, that's a different matter. Throw in that it will probably go up even more and you're talking about serious money (which is of course exactly what they want).

I won't even go into how it will/has changed the price of consumer goods and services. It's a mess.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join