It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrage at Puppy in Police Officers Hat

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Outrage at Puppy in Police Officer\

www.dailymail.co. uk

A postcard featuring a cute puppy sitting in a policeman's hat advertising a Scottish police force's new telephone number has sparked outrage from Muslims.

The affront to the Muslim community has been caused by the fact that dogs are considered ritually unclean and has sparked such anger that some shopkeepers in Dundee (Scotland) have refused to display the advert.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 2-7-2008 by SugarCube]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:46 AM
link   
Historically, British society has a great regard for animals and dogs in particular. Is there really a cause for "upset and anger" just because a picture of a puppy (cute at that!) appears sitting in a police officer's hat?

To debase any animal to the status of "unclean", inferring an unworthy status, is surely against the principles of humanity? Maybe the British should remove the lions from their standard since some African's may consider the great symbol of the realm as offensive because they have killed people in their homeland?

Perhaps we should all stop eating pork and pig derivatives because it offends Muslims?

This is not an expression of religious freedoms, this is not an ethos of live and let live. This is another example of the oppression of the British value of freedom of expression.

www.dailymail.co. uk
(visit the link for the full news article)

+15 more 
posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:50 AM
link   
muppetry on both sides in my opinion. The muslims who are so offended by a PICTURE of a puppy. And the police,for not just telling them to shut up and go away.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 06:59 AM
link   
This is just another example of political correctness running rife.
In my personal, non-staff opinion, bugger catering for a religion and forbidding everything that offends it. The same goes for every other group, way-of-life, personal belief, etc.
If you believe in something, that's fine. But if you start imposing your beliefs, or anything those beliefs entail, onto other people then you have overstepped the line.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:00 AM
link   
pathetic, and so the list goes on, there is now issues over sniffer dogs used in searches with Muslims...........

our police force is now so debased that they have actually apologised!

The police are a joke, the merest hint of a hate crime and they come off with standard "we take hate crimes very seriously"- how about just taking crime seriously, as you are friggin well paid to do

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:08 AM
link   
I wonder, at which point the offended masses of the British public, the average Joe, will be taken into account? I am personally offended by the gradual destruction and decay of the great country that I was born and raised in - The country and more importantly, the society that gave me the values to respect other people, of all religions, of all ethnicities, of all ages.

The divisions in our society have not been caused by the greater population, it offends me that minority groups are winning a shameful campaign to introduce the ethos of partisan racism, religious fanaticism and social degeneration.

Come on, where is our England?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:21 AM
link   
This is just another example of why religion is a joke to me. It blinds you and keeps you from enjoying the true meaning of life. Religion is the biggest mistake in human history. The crusades took thousands of human lifes all in the name of religious beliefs. The Catholic churches with their witch hunts and telling poeple they can buy their way into heavon. Wars were declared and science was slowed down because of religion. And now we have Muslims who are offended at any religion but thier own, and they are confused and one sided. Religion will only enslave the people while the elite rule us because they know the truth. The only reason Muslims are offended by dogs is because the dogs are smarter than them.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:30 AM
link   
yeah, weird. but if they don't want to display something in their shops, i don't see the problem w/ it. to enforce something on someone for whatever reasons your agenda may be is, imo, wrong. this works both ways.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:45 AM
link   
This whole story is media propoganda to create divisions between muslims/non-muslims IMO. Quite literally, it's major BS.

So one guy says you can't put a picture of a dog in my shop and the police change the whole campaign and contact all the major media outlets? Overreaction springs to mind. I'd ask him 'So Mr., if you get a magazine in or a newspaper with a picture of a dog on it do you chuck it out? Of course not!'

I've got a lot of muslim friends and not a single one of them are offended in any way by this campaign. Many muslims keep dogs.

This reminds me of these stories:

Three little pigs 'could offend builders, Muslims'
Nursery opts for 'rainbow' sheep
'Anti-Muslim' fear over Christmas ban

It's not Muslims causing this. It's us.

What I find really strange (apart from the fact that the general population seems to be falling for it hook, line and sinker) is that we've spent decades not giving a damn about Jews, Hindus, Pagans, Taoists, Sikhs etc.

Ask yourself this. Why all of a sudden this hoo-ha about Muslims and how they feel?

Answer: It's all fabricated. It alienates us from each other. It creates division. Divide and conquer. Simple. Get it in the media, get it into people's minds.

Here's a good article about Muslims and other Religious celebrations. How they feel about pictures of dogs is no different:

Muslims Are Not Offended by Celebrations of Other Religions

[edit on 2-7-2008 by Nammu]

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 07:56 AM
link   
sorry nammu, it is not one muslim, the article is quite clear in that it is plural, so the problem is not me, the nasty onlooker who reads media articles

it is

* those muslims who complained

* the police who apologised

THEY ARE THE problem- you see

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:01 AM
link   
Like a poster on the article said, I'm outraged that they are outraged.

If you don't like it, go to a Muslim country, Muslims. Stop pissing us natives off!

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:27 AM
link   
Whatever. The Muslims who feel outraged by this have a right to speak up. Do the police need to apologize? No. Will it change anything? No. What is the point? To let others know how these guys in particular feel. That is all.

To tell them to shut up is silly and pointless. Are you pissed off by their point of view? Maybe, but who cares. Does it make sense to kick them out? Probably not.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
What I find to be a joke is when people take a news report like this so serious and use it for a chance to bash police and muslims in general.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:34 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

I agree with you. It's total BS!!

blueorder, it's important not to take literally everything that you read. Whoever wrote that article probably talked to two or three Muslims, got their opinion and then copy/pasted said opinion onto every single Muslim out there.

Go ahead, write the author. Demand to know the sources.

Don't just assume everything said there is accurate.

I hate the word "they." Who is they? How many are there in this group of they? They sure do show up a lot when it's convenient for someone to make an argument.

"Who did that?"

"They did."

Yeah... can you be more vague please?

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by _Phoenix_
What I find to be a joke is when people take a news report like this so serious and use it for a chance to bash police and muslims in general.

It is one of too many such reports, the very fact that the police apologised tells you all you need to know about British policing.

Yes an individual is entitled to complain (and should be then prepared to be mocked for such a complaint), but the police should not give succour to it, and should be berated if they do

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:56 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ceara
blueorder, it's important not to take literally everything that you read. Whoever wrote that article probably talked to two or three Muslims, got their opinion and then copy/pasted said opinion onto every single Muslim out there.

Go ahead, write the author. Demand to know the sources.

Don't just assume everything said there is accurate.

I hate the word "they." Who is they? How many are there in this group of they? They sure do show up a lot when it's convenient for someone to make an argument.

"Who did that?"

"They did."

Yeah... can you be more vague please?

Sorry, I have no idea what you are talkin about- the story did not emerge from a Daily Mail reporter, it emerged AFTER complaints (plural) were made to Tayside police.

The police apologised, and said

"Tayside Police have admitted they should have consulted their 'diversity' officers before issuing the cards"- it does not get any more cringeworthy

Then, to cap it all we have a muslim councillor, giving legitimacy to such nonsense complaints

"Mohammed Asif, a Dundee City councillor who sits on the Tayside Joint Police Board, said the postcards had been raised this week with John Vine, the chief constable.

He said: "My concern was that it is not welcomed by all communities, with the dog on the cards. It was probably a waste of resources going to these communities. The police should have understood. "

I do look beyond the headlines, and I do digest, the problem is it's often true.

I have no idea why some people, who are quick to do mental and moral acrobatics to deflect criticism of islamic problems, are the very same who pounce on Christian issues (not saying this is you personally btw)

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Acidtastic
muppetry on both sides in my opinion. The muslims who are so offended by a PICTURE of a puppy. And the police,for not just telling them to shut up and go away.

Had they used a picture of a different dog, say a Saluki, or an Azawakh this could have been avoided. Both of those dogs have been historically considered "clean" for hundreds, or thousands of years (in the case of the Saluki.)

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Listen I also have had enough of some muslims complaining. It's annoying.
But what I find more annoying is when people take a news report like this and act like ALL muslims are complaining, and then they start saying stuff towards ALL muslims, saying stuff like go home to your country etc.

I simply don't like generalising, we all know these reports are in the media because of the very fact they are muslim, and we all know that most muslims don't complain at all, yes I agree it's annoying that SOME muslims always seem to complain, but like I said it is WAY more annoying when people put these complainers in the same group as ALL muslims, try to keep that down guys.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:25 AM
link   
The article states the following reason for the use of "that" specific puppy:

Cards featuring police dog-in-training Rebel have been distributed to communities throughout the area to advertise the single number point of contact for non-emergency calls to the police.

Rebel has proved a popular recruit for Tayside Police after coming through the very first Lothian and Borders Police dog-breeding programme in February.

One of seven German Shepherd pups born in early December, he has now completed his course of inoculations, and is free to venture out onto the streets of Tayside.

A spokesman for Tayside Police said: 'Trainee police dog Rebel has proved extremely popular with children and adults since being introduced to the public, aged six weeks old, as Tayside Police's newest canine recruit.

'His incredible world-wide popularity - he has attracted record visitor numbers to our website - led us to believe Rebel could play a starring role in the promotion of our non-emergency number.

By Daily Mail Reporter, full article at link

I would also like to affirm Phoenix's statement

I simply don't like generalising, we all know these reports are in the media because of the very fact they are muslim, and we all know that most muslims don't complain at all, yes I agree it's annoying that SOME muslims always seem to complain, but like I said it is WAY more annoying when people put these complainers in the same group as ALL muslims, try to keep that down guys.

I specifically opened the post and used the phrase "minority". In this regard, I was in no way referring to the Muslim population of the UK as a whole but rather, that small portion of all sectors of society that see their own as proclivities as preeminent.

This is regardless of race, creed or sociopathic tendencies.

My point in this case was the ludicrous nature of a "minority" group citing "offense" as reason to bring a worthy campaign into disrepute. How many more minorities do we have to check with before the national psyche is allowed to prosper and promote British values.

posted on Jul, 2 2008 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by Nammu

I agree, I would also like to add, that I am sure there are all sorts of people who complain about all kinds of things ALL the time. But once a muslim complains the media also thinks MONEY, because right now ANYTHING bad to do with muslims means big cash and attention for the news.

It makes logical sense.

For example if a christian complains about misuse of crosses on tv, it is likely to be ignored, but if it was the other way round and it was some muslim complaining everyone would hear about it from the news.

I feel that each time a news report like this comes out people begin to seperate themselves from muslims, and it all becomes a us against them mentality.
That sort of mentality worries me, we are all in this together. Seperation breeds hatred, and we don't need that.

[edit on 2-7-2008 by _Phoenix_]

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join