It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Congressional Resolution Demands Bush Act on Iran

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   

Congressional Resolution Demands Bush Act on Iran

www.truthout.org

A non-binding resolution to demand that President Bush impose "stringent inspection requirements" on trade with Iran - language that leaves the door open for a military blockade - will likely come to the House floor this week, according to sources close to Congressional leadership. The legislation, H.Con.Res.362, which is paralleled by a similar Senate bill, has gained bipartisan support rapidly, with more co-sponsors signing on by the day. Once it hits the floor, it's bound to "pass like a hot knife through butter," a staffer in House Speaker Nancy Pelosi's office told Chelsea Mozen of the nonprofit Just Foreign Policy.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Mod Edit: Breaking News Forum Submission Guidelines – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 23/6/2008 by Mirthful Me]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:36 PM
link   
WHAT!!!

I read the article but I couldn't find who is authoring this bill.

It looks like the neo-con armchair war mongers aren't down for the count yet.

Write your congressman and tell them to oppose this madness.

www.truthout.org
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
HMMM... while there are no names in the article given as author it looks like American Israel Public Affairs Committee (AIPAC) the pro-Israeli lobby is writing the legislation.

I would think that would be illegal but after 8 years of bush minor who knows.

Just days after the bill was originally introduced in the House of Representatives by Representative Gary Ackerman (D-New York), AIPAC put out a memo detailing its support for the intentions of the legislation. The memo does not specifically mention the proposed legislation, but contains almost identical language.

AIPAC memo:
The United States should sanction the Central Bank of Iran for its involvement in the funding of terrorism and the financing of Iran's proliferation activities.

H. Con. Res. 362 (2)(A):
Congress urges the President, in the strongest of terms, to immediately use his existing authority to impose sanctions on - the Central Bank of Iran and any other Iranian bank engaged in proliferation activities or the support of terrorist groups;

AIPAC memo:
The United States should impose sanctions on companies that have invested more than $20 million in Iran's energy sector in violation of the Iran Sanctions Act (ISA), originally passed in 1996.

H. Con. Res. 362 (2)(C):
Congress urges the President, in the strongest of terms, to immediately use his existing authority to impose sanctions on - energy companies that have invested $20,000,000 or more in the Iranian petroleum or natural gas sector in any given year since the enactment of the Iran Sanctions Act of 1996.

AIPAC memo:
The United States also should use existing authority to sanction foreign entities that continue to do business with the Iranian Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps ...

H. Con. Res. 362 (2)(D):
Congress urges the President, in the strongest of terms, to immediately use his existing authority to impose sanctions on - all companies which continue to do business with Iran's Islamic Revolutionary Guard Corps.

"We don't draft legislation. We support this Congressional effort. We were reflecting the sentiment of the legislation in our statements," Block said when asked about the similarities.

Yeah right.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:45 PM
link   
If the Iraq resolution is any indicator bush minor could easily claim that this gives him the authority to attack Iran.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:47 PM
link   
Ugh. We should expect a few insane acts as this presidency is in its "last throes". If it looks like Bush isn't going to get his third term, he may make it just miserable for the next president.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:48 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

Hiyah grover! I had to laugh at this...

The legislation, H.Con.Res.362, which is paralleled by a similar Senate bill, has gained bipartisan support rapidly, with more co-sponsors signing on by the day.

Where are the Democrats?? Standing right in line with the "war mongers"

When will people learn, if the Democrats didn't keep voting for the Iraq war financing, there wouldn't be any passing since last I heard, they are the majority now?

The Democrats only give lip service to the idea that "war is bad", when it comes down to a vote, all of it passes. Why?

Here's why:

151 Congressmen Derive Financial Profit From War -
In 2006 Democrats had at least $3.7 million invested in the defense sector alone, compared to the Republicans’ “only” $577,500. As the war raged on, so did the billions of profits—and personal investments by Congress members in war contractors, which increased 5 percent from 2004 to 2006.

Members of the Senate Foreign Relations and Armed Services committees which oversee the Iraq war had between $32 million and $44 million invested in companies with DoD contracts.

Top Ten Congressman and Senators PROFITING from the wars

• Sen. John Kerry (D-Mass.) $3,001,006 to $5,015,001
• Sen. Tom Harkin (D-Iowa) $250,001 to $500,000
• Rep. Kenny Ewell Marchant (R-Tex.) $162,074 to $162,074
• Rep. Carolyn B. Maloney (D-N.Y.) $115,002 to $300,000
• Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen (R-N.J.) $115,002 to $300,000
• Rep. Shelley Berkley (D-Nev.) $100,870 to $100,870
• Rep. James Sensenbrenner Jr. (R-Wis.) $65,646 to $65,646
• Sen. Jeff Bingaman (D-N.M.) $50,008 to $227,000
• Rep. Sam Farr (D-Calif.) $50,001 to $100,000
• Rep. Stephen Ira Cohen (D-Tenn.) $45,003 to $150,000

www.americanfreepress.net...

Republicans OR Democrats, same crap, different piles.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by LateApexer313]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:51 PM
link   
It is madness. Iran is not Iraq... if pushed too hard it will push back and even though a sizible portion of the population is sick of the mullah's if we attack that will just serve to unify them and this whole thing will blow up in our faces.

We do not need Israel and its American allies forcing our hand on something like this.

If they want to attack Iran, let them do it and let them reap the whirlwind.

We may be Israel's friend but I am not so sure its a two way street.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:54 PM
link   
The Major is confused, how can a "non-binding resolution" make a "demand?" The Major would recommend a little less hand wringing and a little more research:

Sponsor:
Rep. Gary Ackerman [D-NY]

Cosponsors [as of 2008-06-15]
Rep. Rodney Alexander [R-LA]
Rep. Thomas Allen [D-ME]
Rep. Joe Baca [D-CA]
Rep. Roscoe Bartlett [R-MD]
Rep. Shelley Berkley [D-NV]
Rep. Brian Bilbray [R-CA]
Rep. Gus Bilirakis [R-FL]
Rep. Marsha Blackburn [R-TN]
Rep. Jo Bonner [R-AL]
Rep. Dan Boren [D-OK]
Rep. Robert Brady [D-PA]
Rep. Paul Broun [R-GA]
Rep. Corrine Brown [D-FL]
Rep. Virginia Brown-Waite [R-FL]
Rep. Michael Burgess [R-TX]
Rep. Dan Burton [R-IN]
Rep. David Camp [R-MI]
Rep. John Campbell [R-CA]
Rep. Christopher Cannon [R-UT]
Rep. Eric Cantor [R-VA]
Rep. Christopher Carney [D-PA]
Rep. Donald Cazayoux [D-LA]
Rep. Steven Chabot [R-OH]
Rep. Emanuel Cleaver [D-MO]
Rep. Howard Coble [R-NC]
Rep. Steve Cohen [D-TN]
Rep. Michael Conaway [R-TX]
Rep. Jim Costa [D-CA]
Rep. Joseph Crowley [D-NY]
Rep. Henry Cuellar [D-TX]
Rep. John Culberson [R-TX]
Rep. Danny Davis [D-IL]
Rep. David Davis [R-TN]
Rep. Norman Dicks [D-WA]
Rep. David Dreier [R-CA]
Rep. Eliot Engel [D-NY]
Rep. Michael Ferguson [R-NJ]
Rep. Jeffrey Fortenberry [R-NE]
Res.Com. Luis Fortuño [R-PR]
Rep. Virginia Foxx [R-NC]
Rep. Barney Frank [D-MA]
Rep. Rodney Frelinghuysen [R-NJ]
Rep. Jim Gerlach [R-PA]
Rep. Louis Gohmert [R-TX]
Rep. Charles Gonzalez [D-TX]
Rep. Virgil Goode [R-VA]
Rep. Barton Gordon [D-TN]
Rep. Kay Granger [R-TX]
Rep. Samuel Graves [R-MO]
Rep. Al Green [D-TX]
Rep. Raymond Green [D-TX]
Rep. Phil Hare [D-IL]
Rep. Jane Harman [D-CA]
Rep. Alcee Hastings [D-FL]
Rep. Robin Hayes [R-NC]
Rep. Jeb Hensarling [R-TX]
Rep. Peter Hoekstra [R-MI]
Rep. Tim Holden [D-PA]
Rep. Steny Hoyer [D-MD]
Rep. Samuel Johnson [R-TX]
Rep. Stephanie Jones [D-OH]
Rep. Steve Kagen [D-WI]
Rep. Patrick Kennedy [D-RI]
Rep. Mark Kirk [R-IL]
Rep. Ron Klein [D-FL]
Rep. Joseph Knollenberg [R-MI]
Rep. John Kuhl [R-NY]
Rep. Doug Lamborn [R-CO]
Rep. Nicholas Lampson [D-TX]
Rep. James Langevin [D-RI]
Rep. Steven LaTourette [R-OH]
Rep. Daniel Lipinski [D-IL]
Rep. Frank LoBiondo [R-NJ]
Rep. Nita Lowey [D-NY]
Rep. Frank Lucas [R-OK]
Rep. Carolyn Maloney [D-NY]
Rep. Donald Manzullo [R-IL]
Rep. Kenny Marchant [R-TX]
Rep. James Marshall [D-GA]
Rep. Jim Matheson [D-UT]
Rep. Carolyn McCarthy [D-NY]
Rep. Michael McCaul [R-TX]
Rep. Thaddeus McCotter [R-MI]
Rep. John McHugh [R-NY]
Rep. Michael McNulty [D-NY]
Rep. Kendrick Meek [D-FL]
Rep. Michael Michaud [D-ME]
Rep. Bradley Miller [D-NC]
Rep. Candice Miller [R-MI]
Rep. Gary Miller [R-CA]
Rep. Harry Mitchell [D-AZ]
Rep. Jerry Moran [R-KS]
Rep. Marilyn Musgrave [R-CO]
Rep. Edward Pastor [D-AZ]
Rep. Mike Pence [R-IN]
Rep. Todd Platts [R-PA]
Rep. Ted Poe [R-TX]
Rep. Jon Porter [R-NV]
Rep. Tom Price [R-GA]
Rep. George Radanovich [R-CA]
Rep. James Ramstad [R-MN]
Rep. Dave Reichert [R-WA]
Rep. Rick Renzi [R-AZ]
Rep. Thomas Reynolds [R-NY]
Rep. Ciro Rodriguez [D-TX]
Rep. Michael Rogers [R-AL]
Rep. Michael Rogers [R-MI]
Rep. Dana Rohrabacher [R-CA]
Rep. Ileana Ros-Lehtinen [R-FL]
Rep. Peter Roskam [R-IL]
Rep. Steven Rothman [D-NJ]
Rep. Edward Royce [R-CA]
Rep. Timothy Ryan [D-OH]
Rep. James Saxton [R-NJ]
Rep. Adam Schiff [D-CA]
Rep. Allyson Schwartz [D-PA]
Rep. David Scott [D-GA]
Rep. Peter Sessions [R-TX]
Rep. Joe Sestak [D-PA]
Rep. John Shadegg [R-AZ]
Rep. Christopher Shays [R-CT]
Rep. Brad Sherman [D-CA]
Rep. Heath Shuler [D-NC]
Rep. William Shuster [R-PA]
Rep. Albio Sires [D-NJ]
Rep. Adam Smith [D-WA]
Rep. Adrian Smith [R-NE]
Rep. Christopher Smith [R-NJ]
Rep. Clifford Stearns [R-FL]
Rep. John Sullivan [R-OK]
Rep. Betty Sutton [D-OH]
Rep. Thomas Tancredo [R-CO]
Rep. Lee Terry [R-NE]
Rep. Patrick Tiberi [R-OH]
Rep. Edolphus Towns [D-NY]
Rep. Mark Udall [D-CO]
Rep. Peter Visclosky [D-IN]
Rep. Timothy Walberg [R-MI]
Rep. Zach Wamp [R-TN]
Rep. Debbie Wasserman Schultz [D-FL]
Rep. Henry Waxman [D-CA]
Rep. Lynn Westmoreland [R-GA]
Rep. Robert Wexler [D-FL]
Rep. Charles Wilson [D-OH]
Rep. Addison Wilson [R-SC]
Rep. Rob Wittman [R-VA]

www.govtrack.us...

The Major is inclined to view this as a piece of Democrap legislation, and not the result of George Bush, or the vast right wing conspiracy underwritten by nefarious neoconservatives. The Major is sure that deriving your news and/or point of view from truthout.org will leave you in the dark, as proven by their convenient omission of the sponsor of the resolution.

Dismissed.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by Major Discrepancy]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Oh vomit !

This is so obvious it makes one want to scream. Elements in Israel are calling the shots and the U.S. Congressional and Senatorial traitors kow tow and tow the line.

I say it again: vote out the Democrats and Republicans.

(save Kucinich and Paul)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Why do i still have that sinking feeling

lil' Bush will be around for longer than expected?

Its threads like these that give me nightmares. Do you folks get the feeling that both parties are just as evil, or is it me, that i'm not understanding things?

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Ugh. We should expect a few insane acts as this presidency is in its "last throes". If it looks like Bush isn't going to get his third term, he may make it just miserable for the next president.

The Major thought he would preserve this agenda driven gem. No effort was made to identify the sponsor of the resolution, after all, it would have to be a Republican. There's no possible way that it could be sponsored by the other side of the isle. No, none whatsoever.

The Major is now convinced more than ever that this country will get the government it so richly deserves. May God have mercy on our collective souls, no matter how lazy or inept they may be.

Dismissed.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:05 PM
link   
How far this goes will be a good demonstration of the power wielded by the intriguers embedded into our 'Representative' form of government.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Yes, the wishes of the American people are truly being pooped on today. They know that they will never face repercussions for disregarding us, because we don't truly elect them. The millions they make from these wars are just bones, and the dems and reps are just dogs - being fed those bones by their masters in corporate America who are making BILLIONS from the same war deals and twisted lies. It's those corporations who are eating the steak from which the bones are pulled.

People in America don't want to see this. Sure, I know a lot of people who want to see Achmedinuts put to sleep, and I believe we have the power to win a war there, but I don't know anyone who really thinks we should be over there bringing war to the whole nation. And I don't either.

This is just terrible news. Out of curiosity, does Obama support this? I'd sure like to know if he really is about "change," or if he's just talking to dumb people who like to fall for buzzwords with all that crap (I have a hunch it's the buzzwords.)

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Major Discrepancy

AND what are your sources? Considering I haven't seen anything about this on any other news service the fact that they are reporting it suggests that your theory that they are convieniently hiding the info is for the birds.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:19 PM
link   
Don't you love the dictatorial powers of the government we have.

Hey they are in power.

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by grover
AND what are your sources? Considering I haven't seen anything about this on any other news service the fact that they are reporting it suggests that your theory that they are convieniently hiding the info is for the birds.

As the Major has previously posted, this is the Major's source:

www.govtrack.us...

Truthout.org is conveniently obfuscating the facts regarding this legislation, and as one of their willing lemmings, you have made your end run towards the precipice. The Major is amused that you would not bother to verify the Major's source, and is equally amused that given the House resolution number, you could not discover the sad truth yourself. The Major hates to repeat himself, but we are doomed to get the government this country so richly deserves if this bit of liberal disinformation proves to be impenetrable.

The Major hopes that you can work your way up to latrine duty.

Dismissed.

[edit on 24-6-2008 by Major Discrepancy]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Major Discrepancy

Hey buddy get off your high horse there's no need to get insulting.

At least to my eyes your link blended into the background color of your quote.

Oh and can the referring to yourself in the third person routine... it's poor English usage and doesn't make you sound very intelligent.

[edit on 23-6-2008 by grover]

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 09:54 PM
link   
reply to post by grover

The Major has not, is not nor will the Major be on a high horse. The Major is infantry, not cavalry, and as such, trods this earth as all those who have held the thankless job of protecting his country no matter how pathetic it has become. Oh, that the Major could have served when our once great nation had reached it zenith instead of common times that now encumber her.

The Major suggests wiping the powdered egg from your face and focusing on what truly ails this great country vice the partisan propaganda and pandering that seems to be the trendy mode.

Dismissed

posted on Jun, 23 2008 @ 10:12 PM
link   
I've said it before and I'll say it again. This is all about oil and the dollar.

We have to attack Iran. It's completely necessary if we are to maintain our dollar's value and the status quo. Iran is depegging from the dollar, and that threatens the power hold of all the powers that be in the USA.

Should we attack Iran? No, obviously not. I am not advocating it, just explaining why this has to happen.

May we survive it...

TheRedneck

posted on Jun, 24 2008 @ 07:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Major Discrepancy
The Major thought he would preserve this agenda driven gem. No effort was made to identify the sponsor of the resolution, after all, it would have to be a Republican.

The Heretic made no mention of political parties. The Major would do well to cease and desist such assumptions, else make himself seem entirely defensive.

I said good day!

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join