It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Will God tell my Grampa my secrets?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 07:55 AM
link   
Hi all,

My grandfather is in very poor condition, and we're pretty sure he's going to pass on in the next few days. He's 90 and has lived a good life. He has family that love him, and we visit him as often as we possibly can. His kidneys have failed and there's no coming back from that now. It's been decided that the doctors stop feeding him introvenously because he can no longer digest food and keeping him on machines will only prolong his suffering. I think it's the best decision for him.

Since he's going to pass on in the next few days, I've been thinking a lot about the afterlife. My personal beliefs hold that since he is a good man, and cared for those he loved in any way they needed, and truly believed that his faith was the right one, he'll go somewhere good. And in that place, he can learn all of the things that he didn't know, but strived to find out during his lifetime. He's always been a huge fan of physics and understanding the true nature of the universe in the most scientific of ways, and in the most spiritual way possible for him.

So, when he finds out the secrets of the universe in his next incarnation, will he find out my secrets? I'm not too proud of it, but you know how it is............

I don't want Grampa to know about that little part of the universe (not that it's a little part mind you). Any thoughts? If I see him again, do you think he'll look at me funny?

Mod edit: edited to maintain a PG rating

[edit on 28-5-2008 by chissler]

posted on May, 28 2008 @ 08:03 AM
link   
So are you under the assumption that your grandfather has never done the same? Are you also under the assumption that god is some all knowing tattletale that is bent on your humiliation?

Kinda sounds like a cruel thing to do. I mean I wouldnt want to know if my relitives have done that. It's just something I wouldnt want to think about. Also for some reason I don't think that god is a omnipotent peeping tom.

Sorry don't think God would care that you do that nor would your Grandpa. But im sure that there will be those that come along shortly to tell you that you will burn in hell for the simple matter of self indulgence.

mod edit: PG rating, thank you.

[edit on 28-5-2008 by chissler]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:01 AM
link   
My grampa passed away today. It was pretty tough on my mother. The rest of us were pretty well prepared, although it still sucks. My mom though, she had this thing where the worse he got, the more miraculous she thought his recovery was going to be. Then, when it finally happened, she hadn't prepared at all.

Anyway, whatever 'secrets' that I had between my bar of soap and my shower have now been revealed. Hopefully it won't cause a rift in our relationship.

R.I.P.
William Sullivan
Dec. 1, 1917- May, 31, 2008

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 12:22 AM
link   
Well, if it's any consolation. I would assume that, in the face of having everything in the universe revealed to him... anything you might have done, would seem pretty trivial to him, and would be pretty easy to forgive.

If there is an afterlife, he could be looking at what you've done and chuckled to himself over how silly it is that you fret over it so much.

Eh, take it or leave it. I'm an Atheist, I expect to cease existing when I die. But, if he does live on, I can't see him not forgiving you for whatever you might have done.

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 01:21 AM
link   
The first thing to cross my mind when I read the title of this thread, was that I wanted to give the OP a hug. And Ras, I am not even your grandfather. But if I were, knowing that you wouldn't even be in this world if not for me, there would be nothing you could do whatever to stop me from loving you. Just as a parent naturally loves his/her child unconditionally, even to the point of giving their life for your safety, I find the same love holds true for a grandparent. It's no different. A lot of grandparents appear even more affectionate towards their grandchildren, especially as they come to realize their own mortality. You are his surviving gift to the world, child of his own child. Whatever little things you do here or there are completely trivial compared to this.

[edit on 1-6-2008 by bsbray11]

posted on Jun, 1 2008 @ 02:06 AM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

When I read your opening post it had many similarities with my own Granddad recent passing including the Kidney damage . My Mum seems to think that he has gone to heaven and is playing cards with his deceased friends . Myself I think when an animal including people dies they are dead and that is it . But unless it is in the context of terrorist or other extremist organisation the idea of an after life is probably one of the more harmless faith based ideas.

For the record my grandfather was a non practising Catholic before he got Dementia . He also believed in Angels(SP?) .

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 05:12 PM
link   
So, my family asked me about my personal beliefs on death. So, I had to break the news that I was long since a Christian and I didn't want to offend them with my beliefs. They didn't care, and as I explained them, they looked at me funny. Anyway, here's my Grampa.

www.currentobituary.com...

WORCESTER-Dr. William L. Sullivan, 90, formerly of 52 Copperfield Road, died Saturday, May 31st in Holy Trinity Eastern Orthodox Nursing and Rehabilitation Center. His wife of 52 years, Carol S. (Saurwein) Sullivan died in 2006. He leaves two daughters, Celeste M. Sullivan of New Haven, CT and Claudia R., wife of Edward Salloom of Worcester; a sister, Alice S. Smith in New Jersey; five grandchildren; and several nephews and nieces.

He was born in Boston, the son of William L. and Mary (Mullen) Sullivan. Dr. Sullivan was a graduate of Harvard University, received his Masters Degree and PhD at Boston University and attended Trinity College in Dublin. He was a Professor of English at Worcester State College for 27 years, retiring in 1982. For several years of his tenure at Worcester State College, Dr. Sullivan served as Chairman of the English Department. He previously taught at Northeastern University for three years. Dr. Sullivan was a WWII, U.S. Army veteran. He was a member of Christ the King Church and the Modern Language Association. Dr. Sullivan enjoyed reading and music.

The funeral is Wednesday, June 4th from O’CONNOR BROTHERS FUNERAL HOME, 592 Park Avenue with a Mass at 11:00 AM in Christ the King Church, 1052 Pleasant Street. Entombment will be in St. John’s Cemetery. Calling hours are from 9:30 until 10:30, the morning of the funeral. In lieu of flowers donations may be made to Holy Trinity Eastern Orthodox Nursing and Rehabilitation Center, 300 Barber Avenue, Worcester, MA 01606.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:00 PM
link   
I hope he goes to a nice place!

No offence, but are these secrets sexual in nature? something you would not want people you love to know about
?

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 06:35 PM
link   
Can't say. Already had a mod edit my page to make 'my secret' more ambiguous.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Rasobasi420

Why should you even worry about that?

Be proud of who you are. Learn to accept every part of your nature. I try to do that with myself and everyone I meet.

This life is too short and mysterious to be judging somebody.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Aw, Raso, I'm sorry about the loss of your Grandfather... My thoughts are with you. In answer to your question, I can only say what I believe... Yes, he would know your secrets... he just won't care or have any judgments about them. Where he is, there's nothing but Love and total understanding.

posted on Jun, 2 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by Benevolent Heretic
Aw, Raso, I'm sorry about the loss of your Grandfather... My thoughts are with you. In answer to your question, I can only say what I believe... Yes, he would know your secrets... he just won't care or have any judgments about them. Where he is, there's nothing but Love and total understanding.

That sounds nice. I hope that's true.

posted on Jun, 6 2008 @ 02:13 PM
link   
Thanks for your kind thoughts all. And you're probably right. Anything that I might feel embarrassed about is likely small potatoes to a guy like him wherever he is now.

posted on Jun, 29 2008 @ 07:43 PM
link   
Please accept my sympathy.
~David Porta

new topics

top topics

join