It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Obese blamed for the world's ills

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by jackinthebox

Luckily we grow enough potatos ourselves completely organically to survive a full year, thanks for the little bit of info though. I agree that food has been tainted but lets look at it another way.

If we stuck to tradional, organic farming methods then there wouldn't be enough food to go around. It's a sad but true story.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 03:14 AM
link   
I should mention this about the whole obesity calculations.

A couple of years ago i weighed maybe 183 pounds and i'm 5 foot 10. My body fat percentage was around the 10% mark (which is pretty low). The rest of me was muscle and that technically i think made me overweight and maybe even obese and yet i was in absolutely great shape. 10% bodyfat puts me on the underfat/healthy mark, pretty much on the line of to little.

The calculations can't always be a clear sign of health, however if you're body fat is 40% (and some peoples is) then you have major problems. I think the BMI should be scrapped and the bodyfat test used instead. Makes more sense to me anyway.

[edit on 23-5-2008 by ImaginaryReality1984]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 06:40 AM
link   
This is what really happened.

In the beginning God covered the earth with broccoli, cauliflower and spinach, with green, yellow and red vegetables of all kinds so Man and Woman would live long and healthy lives.
Then using God's bountiful gifts, Satan created Dairy Ice Cream and Magnums. And Satan said, 'You want hot fudge with that? And Man said, 'Yes!' And Woman said, 'I'll have one too with chocolate chips'. And lo they gained 10 pounds.
And God created the healthy yoghurt that woman might keep the figure that man found so fair.
And Satan brought forth white flour from the wheat and sugar from the cane and combined them. And Woman went from size 12 to size 14.
So God said, 'Try my fresh green salad'. And Satan presented Blue Cheese dressing and garlic croutons on the side. And Man and Woman unfastened their belts following the repast.
God then said 'I have sent you healthy vegetables and olive oil in which to cook them'.
And Satan brought forth deep fried coconut king prawns, butter-dipped lobster chunks and chicken fried steak, so big it needed its own platter, and Man's cholesterol went through the roof.

Then God brought forth the potato; naturally low in fat and brimming with potassium and good nutrition.
Then Satan peeled off the healthy skin and sliced the starchy centre into chips and deep-fried them in animal fats adding copious quantities of salt. And Man put on more pounds. God then brought forth running shoes so that his Children might lose those extra pounds.
And Satan came forth with a cable TV with remote control so Man would not have to toil changing the channels. And Man and Woman laughed and cried before the flickering light and started wearing stretch jogging suits.
Then God gave lean beef so that Man might consume fewer calories and still satisfy his appetite.
And Satan created McDonalds and the 99p double cheeseburger. Then Satan said 'You want fries with that?' and Man replied, 'Yes, and super size 'em'. And Satan said, 'It is good.' And Man and Woman went into cardiac arrest.
God sighed and created quadruple by-pass surgery.
And then Satan chuckled and created the National Health Service.

THE FINAL WORD ON NUTRITION
After an exhaustive review of the research literature, here's the final word on nutrition and health.:

1. Japanese eat very little fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
2. Mexicans eat a lot of fat and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
3. Chinese drink very little red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
4. Italians drink excessive amounts of red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
5. Germans drink beer and eat lots of sausages and fats and suffer fewer heart attacks than us.
6. The French eat foie-gras, full fat cheese and drink red wine and suffer fewer heart attacks than us

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   
reply to post by ImaginaryReality1984

If we stuck to tradional, organic farming methods then there wouldn't be enough food to go around. It's a sad but true story.

Well, if you're going to go down that road, there are only two options to consider.

The first is that the world is already overpopulated and can no longer sustain human life in a healthy manner. So by that logic, is it really the fault of the individual person deciding what to have for dinner? You would also have to support some method of genocide, or a culling of the herd so to speak, to bring the gloabl population back in line with what is manageable and can be supported within the biosphere. This is what Hitler had on his mind when he wanted to seize the eastern lands. More land for Germans to farm. Ever heard of the Georgia guidestones?

The second, is that there is actually still plenty of resources that are not being dedicated to the problem. That there is in fact deliberate mismanagement for the sake of profits, and control. I know that here in the States, there is plenty of land that could be used for farming, but is not. If this were taken as a serious problem to be adressed by the powers that be, they should implement a campaign to get everyone into gardening. Maybe a tax break for gardening. Something along those lines. But instead, they're taking away our seeds.

[edit on 5/23/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 02:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Solarskye

CONCLUSION: Eat and drink what you like. Speaking English is apparently what kills you.

Star for that!

But seriously though, you do bring up a good point. There are plenty of people in the world that eat foods we would consider to be unhealthy, with no ill effects.

Once again I state that obesity and other health problems are cause by a lack of nutrition, particulalry in prepared foods that have become the staple of Americanized living. Fat people are starving to death! When you consider that twenty percent of people who have diabetes are not overweight, you must conclude that diabetes is not brought on by obesity. Rather, I suggest, it is brought on by poor nutrition, and obesity is only one symptom of a much larger problem that people refuse to address.

posted on May, 23 2008 @ 05:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox
If this were taken as a serious problem to be adressed by the powers that be, they should implement a campaign to get everyone into gardening. Maybe a tax break for gardening. Something along those lines. But instead, they're taking away our seeds.

I just starred you for that comment. I don't have the energy to type a massive reply at the moment but i will later. Just to be clear i was NOT advocating a genecide lol, don't get me confused on that one please
I made an entire thread about creating your own seeds each year, becuase they're slowly introducing terminator technology into even the packets of seeds you buy in garden centres.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:34 AM
link   

When i lived in Germany I ate all kinds of lard-fried meats and cheeses and sweets daily. Their cheescakes weigh about 20 lbs, and they eat lard on thier toast. Their salads always had mayo.I ate sausage and snitzel (lard fried pork steak). I think I stayed around 118 lbs when I was there, and once I got back to the States, ate plenty of broiled or grilled chicken and fresh salads with fat-free dressing I started gaining. I was more active once I came back, too. There is definately something in our food here that helps people stay obese.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:37 AM
link   
reply to post by raven bombshell

Thanks for ringing in on that with first-hand experience.

EDIT to add: I had to take a copy of your post, and drop it into the conversation over here...

www.abovetopsecret.com...

[edit on 5/24/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by raven bombshell

Actually that could simply mean you were ona very high protein and fat diet, also known as atkins. It does cause people to lose weight (rather unhealthily). The diet you had when you got back to the states could easily put weight on someone, bodybuilders eat that very diet to gain weight.

Simple maths, if you eat more calories than you expend then you'll gain weight. However we have to take into account where you're getting those calories. A high protein, low-medium carbohydrate and high fat diet would still cause you to lose weight becuase you'll burn through the carbohydrate quickly. Whereas a high carbohydrate diet, medium protein and low fat can actually put on a lot of weight to a normal person.

I know myself that because i used to be incredibly active and even eating the healthiest diet, i had to stay very active to keep the weight off. I eat far less now to help control weight, luckily i've never been overweight as i'm careful so i disagree there is something in the food keeping people overweight.

I saw an obese man on the tv the other day, they worked out his daily calorific intake was near the 20,000 calories mark and no that isn't a typo. Anyone eating that would put on weight, it isn't something in the food it's merely the high calorie, high fat, high carbohydrate diet that got him that way. A lack of exercise also was of course the problem.

There may be a small percentage and by that i mean less than 3% of people who have a metabolic problem that really causes them trouble. However even these people oculd lose weight with very careful managment, it would just be far harder. You give an obese person an exercise program and a very carefully planned diet and make them stick to it religiously and i bet you that they will lose weight.

The problem is people cheat, they snack, or even worse they starve themselves. Starving yourself and having the occasional meal is actually one of the worst things you can do as it causes the body to slow itself down and save every calorie.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 12:00 PM
link   

I truly believe that to be the case, here. The body is much more easily able to break down and use everything in natural, un-processed foods.

Someone has told me that MARGARINE is very close, in what its made of, to plastic. We use a LOT of stuff like that, how many common items in the US is the body just not coping very well with?

Fats are not bad. Fats are NECESSARY to the body. I think it's synthetics at fault.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 12:49 PM
link   

Actually that could simply mean you were ona very high protein and fat diet, also known as atkins.

Actually, I think the Germans get plenty of carbs.

I eat far less now to help control weight, luckily i've never been overweight as i'm careful so i disagree there is something in the food keeping people overweight.

You're really comparing apples and oranges there. You have already stated that you are eating natural foods, and therefore you are able to eat less and still get your required nutrition. You can't eat less if you're not getting the necessary nutrients per serving. I would have to eat two or three potatos from the supermarket to get the nutrition from one of your garden variety.

posted on May, 24 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I remember when I was a kid, I was complaining to my father about the school lunches, and specifically the pizza on this one ocassion. The cheese never really melted. Even when it was served nice and hot, the texture of the cheese was soft, but not nice and stringy like it is from the local pizza shop. It retained more like what you would find on cold pizza. Being a professional in the field, he was able to explain to me simply, that government cheese could have up to fifty-percent plastic in it. Hence, the stiff texture.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 08:15 AM
link   

Plastic? Does he have any recorded proof for this one? Because that sounds absolutely awful if true.

Where i can see what you mean by starvation through bad food jackinthebox, i think if anyone is eating vegetables, despite them being reduced in vitamins and minerals due to intensive farming, they still contain plenty of good nutrition.

Also by your logic as long as you're taking a multi vitamin and mineral suipplement then your appetite should reduce, i have to admit i've never found that the case.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:28 PM
link   

Plastic? Does he have any recorded proof for this one? Because that sounds absolutely awful if true.

I'm sure the information is out there, but I'm sure he would know anyway. He has been a chef his entire life, and trained at the Culinary Institute of America, after growing up in a family that owned a restaurant where he worked every day.

Where i can see what you mean by starvation through bad food jackinthebox, i think if anyone is eating vegetables, despite them being reduced in vitamins and minerals due to intensive farming, they still contain plenty of good nutrition.

Did you know that aside from the intensive farming methods, the nutrition in fresh produce is further reduced by being irradiated before they hit supermarket shelves? Sneak into the back room at your local supermarket, you may find boxes with the radiation sign printed on them. This is why.

Also by your logic as long as you're taking a multi vitamin and mineral suipplement then your appetite should reduce, i have to admit i've never found that the case.

As far as vitamin supplements go, you really should see the video I posted in this thread about Codex Alimentarius

Besides, if our bodies could assimilate the necessary nutrients in pill form, we wouldn't have to eat at all anymore. Vitamin supplements are really just another scam in the "health food" industry.

[edit on 5/25/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
I think a lot of people don't think about drinks too, many drinks can help make one overweight, people tend to forget that and only concentrate on food.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by _Phoenix_

So true. American drink soda pop like it's, well, like it's water.

Then there are things that people might think is more healthy, like a kiwi juice, at 360 calories! And of course, there's the popular "healthy" vitamin water with more than 100 calories in it.

America's Unhealthiest Drinks Exposed

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:01 PM
link   

Any link, or place for more information about the whole grocery store radiated produce thing?

I wasn't gunna ask, but it's scaring me. Lol

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:20 PM
link   
reply to post by LostNemesis

I worked at the supermrket, saw the boxes. I'll see if I can find a link though.

EDIT to add: Here's a few that I just Googled, but didn't really bother to read...

en.wikipedia.org...

www.organicconsumers.org...

www.fda.gov...

[edit on 5/25/0808 by jackinthebox]

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:39 PM
link   

Wow, nothing about the fruits and vegetables available to us in the store, are natural.

Wish more of us in the crowded city had access to a little plot of land for growing our own stuff.

posted on May, 25 2008 @ 01:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by jackinthebox

People up north always scream about how southern cooking is so unhealthy. Gravy and fried stuff, big hunks of fat back. But I see an awful lot of southern folk who eat that way all the time and are perfectly healthy.

I question how many southern folk are in the "awful lot" that you mention. I see that your location is New York. I was born and raised in New Orleans, which has a tremendous amount of amazing food... fried, smothered in cream sauces, etc. There is also a tremendous amount of unhealthy and overweight people here. In fact, in Louisiana there are these public service announcements running right now, encouraging people to do the "Louisiana Two Step." Basically, the message is eat healthy/less and move around more. Should be common sense, but is not.

No... fried chicken and all that gravy is not okay so long as it's all local. It's better if it's local, but it is by no means healthy. And all those beans and collard greens are usually cooked in a pretty fattening (and delicious) way as well.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10 >>

join