It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Together We Can Put an End to Religious/Ideological Bigotry at ATS!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Lucid Lunacy

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy
Is there a conspiracy?? I am certain of it. Each side wants to convert the other!!

Is there a way we can discus the topic without trying to convert the other side? I seem to see the same thing in the 9/11, UFO, and politics forums. It isn’t necessary to sway another’s point of view when presenting reasons for your own belief.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by darkelf

It's the same gripe I have against door to door visitations from religious missionaries. The quality of the message should speak for itself. If it reverberates spiritual truth I feel it will "sell itself" so to speak. So I completely sympathize with your sentiments. I wish people wouldn't try and convert, but just try and make a quality representation of their beliefs. People naturally gravitate towards this on their own free will.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:46 PM
link   
Good work Lucid and Darkelf.... Hopefully more will join in on the conversation. Thanks guys.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953

Originally posted by jimbo999
reply to post by Osiris1953

It's supposed to be for 'conspiracies in Religions' - ie. The Holy Grail, The Bloodline of Christ, The Black Madonna, location of the Ark of the Covenant etc. -

I agree with this statement those types of things should be discussed.... and it would be nice to see a shift back to such matters.

agreed. i think you'll find the mods intended it for just this sort of thing too.

unfortunately, it's been hijacked over and over again like a like a car with the keys in the ignition...

j.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 05:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lucid Lunacy

Originally posted by jimbo999
but it's rarely if ever used for anything more than a pulpit for boring diatribes on scripture and biblical quotes

That's the bulk of what I observe from my experience on ATS, and I have been reading ATS for 4-5 years.

In addition to that, the bulk of those scriptures and biblical quotes aren't to further the thread topic but to condemn and judge imho.

agreed 1000%.

i've tried fighting this nonsense a few times here, and the mods even created a new forum for biblical soapboxing in order to save this forum, but to no avail it seems...

J.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:26 PM
link   
The previous posters have IMHO put the finger on the sore spot: the apparent impossibility for some people to avoid being purely a missionary for their particular vision tends to clutter open discussion to no end.

Instead it would be nice if we could just chuck all these different views(viable or not, religious or atheist, religious or agnostic) in a big tupperware box, and try to build something out of it. Views and ideas, can be used as some sort of Philosophical LEGO. Maybe that should be the basis for all discussion: Mind-LEGO, out of wich one can build all sort of new views and ideas.

Enjoy diversity I`d say..

Peace

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Anonymous ATS

That would be ideal. We could all learn from one another, and I do like the analogy. Many don't want their beliefs mixed with others, but I believe what you are saying is that though made up of separate and distinct parts we could use our differences to build something better. If that's what you mean, then I applaud you for it.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
reply to post by bigbert81

Thank you bigbert.... and since we've never had real direct contact I'd like to say that I do enjoy most of your posts and it's nice meeting you.

I have seen your posts too, and it's nice to have another ATS member that seems to have a bit more sense than the next.

Nice to meet you too.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 06:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Anonymous ATS

Enjoy diversity I`d say..

Peace

Hell I'm going to give you applause anyhow even before you respond, if only for your last statement.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:09 PM
link   
As a Moderator here in CiR, you have no idea how happy it would make me to see this happen, where people talked instead of trying to convert.

Personally, I think there may be many paths, all going in the same direction. But like children calling in the dark woods, each here is convinced their own path is the only one that will lead to the meadow where Grandmother's house stands. And in the louder and louder assertions, only confusion and tension increase. Reason tells us that many paths must lead from any forest.

Long live the revolution!

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:15 PM
link   
reply to post by NGC2736

It means a lot to me that you have chosen to participate in this thread. I also concur with the statements you have made. Who knows, my "revolution" might be short lived, but my only hope is that maybe, just maybe a few eyes will be opened. You are free to do as you like, but I encourage you, and would love for you to add to this conversation as much as possible.

Edited to battle the typing gremlins.

[edit on 14-5-2008 by Osiris1953]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:25 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

Thank you, and hopefully we can work together on future threads. I also appreciate your participation here.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:41 PM
link   
The way I look at it, if you aren't really a believer in anything, you will be
un-involved with spirituality.
That is a choice. Your choice.
I think the rules for what constitutes CIR topics hold up for themselves, if mods apply it.
If I or anyone else WANTS to talk about their thoughts and feelings(According to the T&C), then why would you censor?

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

Actually I am a spiritual person, and when topics in this particular forum are brought up in an open, honest way, where people can talk freely without condemnation I'm all for it. I don't seek to censor anyone, once again, I don't have the ability to censor anyone. I want people to discuss CIR in a more humane way. The way it is now, nothing can be gleaned, nothing can be gained, and nothing can be accomplished. Please don't misunderstand the intention of this thread.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Clearskies
The way I look at it, if you aren't really a believer in anything, you will be
un-involved with spirituality.

That's a correct statement. But those 'un-involved' people have the same right and justification to speak their mind in those spiritual threads.

If I or anyone else WANTS to talk about their thoughts and feelings(According to the T&C), then why would you censor?

But is it always your thoughts and your feelings?

I really don't mean to target you, but to bring up a reference to elucidate my point in general:

There was a time not long ago when you posted a response to me, that didn't include any of your thoughts or feelings, didn't address the thread topic, but instead just contained 11 scriptures for me to read. So you see, to some of us, the bible-thumpers are not always sharing their thoughts and feelings, rather they often put The Bible in our faces, as if that was the answer to every question.

[edit on 083131p://14u28 by Lucid Lunacy]

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Clearskies

If possible please respond to LL. I'd like you two to be able to speak about this. Just please keep it civil. Thanks.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:11 PM
link   
Osiris, this is an excellent thread; I commend you sir.

I will admit, however, that I myself have been guilty at times of the very thing you decry. I will also admit that I am ashamed of this. Religion is a very personal thing to many people, and we should all realize this and crouch our posts to reflect an understanding of such. After all, are we not all searching for the same thing: the truth?

There's really not much more I can add, save an agreement with Lucid Lunacy. To attempt to force one's beliefs on another, whether by coercion, repetition, force, or threats, is the very definition of ineffectualness, not to mention offensive.

TheRedneck

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 09:25 PM
link   
reply to post by TheRedneck

We are all searching for the truth... and I agree with your sentiments wholeheartedly. I too have been part of the problem in the past, usually I will be angry at an individual, and then attempt to use their religious beliefs against them. It is wrong and I, much as you have just done, claim responsibility for my own actions. It is certainly the correct thing to do, and if I haven't mentioned it before, I respect you very much, it's always therapeutic to be able to say "Yes I am flawed, but I strive to be something better, and more virtuous than what I currently am." Thank you for your participation, and I hope to see you again soon.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I urge anyone who may be lurking and contemplating posting in this thread to please do so. I don't have an undying urge to keep my thread going for eternity, but I believe these are issues that need to be discussed. Not much is going to happen unless fingers start tapping on keyboards. Lets keep the lines of communication open.

posted on May, 14 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I love discussing different religions because in my attempts to find my God, I had to read and learn from all that is out there, but when it comes to actually discussing ideas found in various religions with an open mind, the conversation always tends to get into a "my religion is right/yours is wrong" argument. I think that is what that the OP is trying to tell us to avoid.

We should be proud of our respective faiths, but we should not allow our faiths to blindly speak for us. We should be willing to disscuss all questions of our faith with the "perspective" of an outsider and not take every comment as personal criticism of our religion or faith.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join