It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 132
<< 129  130  131    133  134  135 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican
That said though, there was I think a valid point brought up about the non-thread starters appearing not to be contributors, when their input on threads is just as valuable as the OP's, and often, more!

Maybe a second similar bar should be added based on stars- cap the sukka at say 5,000 or something. Or that could be driven by a star to post ratio or something. Something that also appreciates sheer commentators.

Yeah, I can definitely see how removing Points and the old Applause bars was like a slap in the face to many of the best posters.

The new Flag bar is great, but Applause, Stars and Points really still need to be represented as well, otherwise the new system will just alienate a lot of excellent, veteran posters.....

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by TrueAmerican

Hey, I tried to get people to come to some consensus on what should be flagged, and no one wants to talk about that. If everyone wants to intentionally NOT have any consensus on that, and have flag justification left up to their own discretion, then I suppose the staff would have a hard time in determining who is "flag binging."

I don't see how there can really be consensus on what should be flagged. After all, we all think different things are important.

Some people might want to flag the first thread that brings an interesting new YouTube video onto ATS, even if the OP doesn't provide any commentary and the video proves to be faked, just because they think it's important that ATS have all the newest information or media on conspiracy- or UFO-related topics. I'd rather flag a well-researched thread about medical experimentation in Sweden in the 1940's, myself, but I can understand how some people might not think that such a non-breaking story was as important.

I read your suggestions, and they seemed pretty similar to how I decide to flag or not flag. But I don't actually have a set of criteria, and some days I'm much more generous with flags than others. Sometimes I will flag a thread even though I think the OP is a bunch of crap, just because there's a really good conversation further on in the thread. Sometimes I will flag a thread because I think it's an important story, even though I don't think the OP did a great job presenting it. Sometimes I will flag a thread because I think the OP did a great job presenting it, even though I don't think it's that important an issue. Just imagine trying to get consensus among all ATSers!

Seems like some want to hold all the cards and then bitch cause they can't have the joker too.

And seems like some are taking the complaints raised a little too seriously. If a couple people flagged some extra threads this afternoon, it's not going to kill the entire project. As seagrass said, people like her or like me -- non-thread-starters -- aren't going to change that behavior just to get flags. I'm not going to suddenly become a major force in content contribution here just because a couple people decided to flag my old threads; the whole idea allowed us to burn off a little rebellion in a harmless manner and was frankly just a bit of goofy fun. I went back and flagged every thread on elevatedone's profile that didn't have any flags yet. Consider it a little bit of civil disobedience if you like; I hardly think that it undermined the validity of the entire flagging system.

That said though, there was I think a valid point brought up about the non-thread starters appearing not to be contributors, when their input on threads is just as valuable as the OP's, and often, more!

Maybe a second similar bar should be added based on stars- cap the sukka at say 5,000 or something. Or that could be driven by a star to post ratio or something. Something that also appreciates sheer commentators.

Just a thought: how about a simple counter of number of posts? That wouldn't even pretend to be judging quality of participation but would put something on the mini-profiles of people who are important members of the community without being thread starters.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 08:57 PM
link   
reply to post by MajorDisaster

The points and other things are all still in your profile, at first I thought it was gone to... But it is not, check your profile.

They took nothing away. It's all good.

Everyone has a public profile if someone cares to look at that stuff, but really the board should be focused on the content not the trivial numbers of points flags stars etc.

If it is good it will have flags and stars.

If you are here only to collect points applause etc then you can spend hours gazing at all of that on your profiles... even send the link to your profile to everyone to show off the tiny pixels you have collected here.

Personally I'd rather read great content without all that other stuff.

Seems to me like the staff and given everyone the best of it all... Plus all of the tools to post share and discuss great content here, all for the amazing price of FREE.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:07 PM
link   
I flagged all of Elevatedone's threads and now I am sorry cuz there was a bunch of them. Be careful who you threaten to flag is the lesson learned here. Seriously, I mean seriously..lol... I have been one of the biggest "whiners" here. Maybe I am childish... although I posted in TravelerintheDark's "maturity" thread as well, so I am full of duplicity, but I really don't have a lot invested in any sort of equal recognition system here. I am arguing a principle I believe in. But I am not "fighting". I am not "angry".
I can except whatever system ATS provides, or I can leave if I don't like it. I'm not leaving. Right now I am more concerned whether or not I make spelling errors whilst Ding is close by.

SO layed it down. He listened, he was disgusted, but he listened. We may be disgusted as well, but the the law is laid. He said he was done, so our continued complaints are just hot air. I blew mine off in "flag love". I feel better.
Treat me like a child, I might act like one. Right Whaaa?

I'm moving on.. I suggest you all do the same.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:13 PM
link   
Now i'm not really that bothered about points, if I was I could have started numerous inane threads on BTS etc, but I really can't see the point of awarding them and then not displaying them.

I think the same could possibly be said about the number of stars and applauses received.

As for the new bar, well, I know a few high quality posters who start very few threads and their status will probably always remain at the minimum.

No matter what system used there will be some people dis-satisfied.

Personally I think the new display is the worst but wtf, I just wish we could agree on one system, make sure it's fully understood by everyone and then stick with it.

[edit on 1/6/09 by Freeborn]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by Walkswithfish
The points and other things are all still in your profile, at first I thought it was gone to... But it is not, check your profile.

They took nothing away. It's all good.

Right, but I'm talking about the mini-profiles. We see them constantly while we browse ATS, much more often than people's full profiles. In a way, they are even more important than the full profiles.

And right now, they are looking really, really bare - with Points, Applause bars, even "Mood", all gone!!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:16 PM
link   
[edit on 1-6-2009 by interestedalways]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by seagrass
Right now I am more concerned whether or not I make spelling errors whilst Ding is close by.

Now that's a brilliant idea! Gold stars and bright red X's in our mini-profile representing our grammar and spelling ability

Actually, I've been disappointed with my grammar today. Almost every single one of my posts has contained an error

Before anyone takes me seriously: I am just joking. I do not believe we should be marked for our ability to recall our eighth-grade grammar lessons, nor do I judge posters for their spelling talent or lack thereof.

And I should mention that the spelling on AboveTopSecret has in fact gotten much better over the last several months. I think maybe they finally hired a copy editor

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Wow. I stumbled over here almost inadvertently and seem to have walked into the middle of a bar fight. Pretty cool site here overall, with a lot of good, interesting information. I'm a little surprised to see so many veteran members so up in arms over something so trivial.

I guess the NWO and alien disclosure and the Federal Reserve and the hijacking of the US Republic just takes a back seat until y'all get your little picture things all sorted out?

Sorry, I'm being sarcastic to make a point, which I'm sure will be neither heeded nor appreciated. But I felt the need.

Good luck with your spangles.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:29 PM
link   
can copy editors give applause.. I need to know who I suck up to...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 09:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by MrDesolate
Wow. I stumbled over here almost inadvertently and seem to have walked into the middle of a bar fight. Pretty cool site here overall, with a lot of good, interesting information. I'm a little surprised to see so many veteran members so up in arms over something so trivial.

I guess the NWO and alien disclosure and the Federal Reserve and the hijacking of the US Republic just takes a back seat until y'all get your little picture things all sorted out?

Sorry, I'm being sarcastic to make a point, which I'm sure will be neither heeded nor appreciated. But I felt the need.

Good luck with your spangles.
I don't know why but for some reason I like you.
If you post a thread I just might give you some flag love....I in that kinda mood. But you have to go to my profile to know that...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:00 PM
link   
grrr I clicked the back button on my track ball, long post gone

with all this mini-profile talk I had made a new avatar to reflect
anything that has been used, is being used now, and maybe things in the future.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by EvilBat

I LOVE IT!!!!!!

It deserved all caps.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:12 PM
link   
thank you,
I made my title colors same as the background, if some one really wants to know the name and other stuff they can just highlight it if its that important to know.

I was going to do all caps but I didn't want to seem like I was yelling.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:14 PM
link   
I have heard tell that you get in trouble when your name can't be read.. just warning ya.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by seagrass

Thanks for letting me know but I stated right above, that if its that important people can just highlight it.

I have a feeling that some of my posts were ignored just for reading it or viewing the avatar.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:43 PM
link   
I have a REAL ATS ISSUE,

I can't access my U2U's. The message shows up as unread but when I click it to read it the message content remains blank.

Anyone else having this problem or am I the only one?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:47 PM
link   
reply to post by interestedalways

I've had that problem a couple of times ...

It acts like a dead link right?

If that's what you're talking about a quick page refresh usually fixes it for me.

Hope that helps.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:48 PM
link   
Thanks, SD, I will give it a try!

Yeah, dead link describes it nicely!

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 10:58 PM
link   
It still isn't working.

I can see when the u2u's arrive, and I can send them, but I can't read or open the one's that are sent to me.

Just a blank screen................

Am I locked out of the system or is it a glitch???

Guess I shouldn't have made that comment about the tight ship.

new topics

top topics

<< 129  130  131    133  134  135 >>

join