It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ATS Issues Thread

page: 126
<< 123  124  125    127  128  129 >>

join
share:

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:42 AM
link   
reply to post by NephraTari

Even with the tags gone members who have reached the "250" status don't see ads. The only issue is the tags themselves.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:43 AM
link   
Hey I just got an idea.

Instead of placing sayings like

This is a critical mind

or

God like wisdom.

Why not have Greek philosopher levels of ranking?

For the ancient civilization group.

This one has achieved Platonian wisdom.
etc.?

Or the higher stars/flags/posts one receives the higher socrates levels or something. I donno just throwing stuff out there.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:46 AM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

I guess I reached it after because I am still seeing ads.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:48 AM
link   
reply to post by SLAYER69

What about this:

10-20 : Ultra 1

20-30: Ultra 2

30-40: Ultra 3

40-50: Ultra 4

50-60: Ultra 5

60-80: Cosmic/Ultra 1

80-100: Cosmic/Ultra 2

150+ : Cosmic/Ultra 3

And yes these are based off the rumored highest clearance levels.

Color wise? I don't know get creative, but the Cosmic/Ultra 3 should be black with a white outline, maybe the second highest green with a white outline, and the third gold with a black outline??

[edit on 6/1/2009 by jkrog08]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:49 AM
link   
reply to post by TheWayISeeIt

Having said that, many of my favorite ATS posters are not thread makers so I think they are getting left out in this latest attempt to qualify contributions. Which is too bad because this site needs them and should acknowledge them (and in a perfect world someone would figure out how to do that w/o calling us all names).

A suggestion for an alternative (below the avatar): forgo labels & numerals and replace them with symbols. How about little figurines, with people reaching the first level gaining, say, a peasant, going through the ranks to, say, a feudal lord, then on to perhaps a knight, eventually a king and perhaps even an emperor. You could stretch the ranks out as much or as little as desired both in terms of the number of levels and the points levels required.

It might get too confusing, but you could potentially even give members a choice of what 'set' they'd prefer. Instead of feudal you could chose an alien theme (from little green man to mega-warp wormhole galaxy jump-ship) or political coruption (from Ghengis Khan all the way up to GW...), and so on.

If the management were up for it they could even add a stats button to each member profile. Clicking on that would open a page with a bar charts representing each member's contribution to each particular forum they had contributed to in terms of numbers of posts per month. This would provide an interesting indication of a poster's interests and current level of activity. The possibilities are endless: the ratio of starred posts to unstarred could change the colour of each bar, for example.

The latter might create the kind of loading issues associated with the old 'no. of views' counter, I suppose, but perhaps it won't be long before a major hardware upgrade becomes inevitable anyway.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
This poster has archemedian like wisdom.

This poster has aristolian insight.

That poster likes to go both ways LOL

I'm sorry just playing on the greeks well known sexuality.

Still great idea slayer considering the philosphical nature of the greek.

THIS poster has attained pythagorian like understanding.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:50 AM
link   
Why don't you just have all members take an IQ test and rate them accordingly. Then segregate new members by intelligence quotient AND participation levels. Lets add thumbs up/down buttons and votes too. I would rather like seeing my applause right there under my avatar along with all the other pertinent info that lets members easily produce a mental image of me. Lets not make stereotyping any more complicated that it already is. We are virtual here, not really real.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:51 AM
link   
Originally posted by TheWayISeeIt

I suspect there was surprise when finding out how many of the lab rats can unlock their cages and leave... anytime they want.

On a slightly more serious note -- not that any of this feels in the least bit serious at this point -- it is a better solution than the short-sighted, wildly-pompous-God-on-high labeling of everyone idea.

Having said that, many of my favorite ATS posters are not thread makers so I think they are getting left out in this latest attempt to qualify contributions. Which is too bad because this site needs them and should acknowledge them (and in a perfect world someone would figure out how to do that w/o calling us all names).

Little graphics on a mini profile are not important and you are right, levels are more tolerable than labels. But there are different levels of contribution that exist here. Recognition should take that into effect. We all enjoy acknowledgment at any level. A thank you can take many forms. But labels/names will always classify and that is not always a comfortable thing.
I think people are somewhat lazy about flagging. Where stars are right there and accessible. I put more stock in the stars I received than the flags. Certain topics are more popular, but the stars were personal validation both ways.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by seagrass]

[edit on 1-6-2009 by seagrass] well I really messed up that one.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 11:59 AM
link   
Why don't we just be done with it and rate people on how tall they are standing in their socks? At least that would be universal. Very little else is making sense here just now. Something very weird is happening in ATS recently, and I don't like it at all. Caitlin out.

And yay....I just realised that tomorrow would have been my first birthday. Ah well.....

[edit on 1-6-2009 by caitlinfae]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Hazelnut

We are virtual here, not really real.

LOL, are you a BOT? I know I am real, maybe my avatar isn't but the information is coming from the real.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:03 PM
link   
See I'm done complaining so I went and spent three hours working on a thread.

Get my point?

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:05 PM
link   
reply to post by ravenshadow13

Can we get a link to the thread?

Yes it is a good idea for everyone to go back to their normal activities, I just have nothing else to do right now on the board so I am "chillin" here,lol.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:06 PM
link   
The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

I believe at this time things are the way they will be for a while. We have gone through the status bar system, 250/250/250 system, the medal and applause system, and now this flagging system.

The coding, tweaks, graphics, and statistics checking has to be exhausting by now.

How about we all take a breather for a little while and let things settle a bit? At this point, it feels like we're beating a dead horse. By all means, member feedback is welcomed and heeded. This is obvious by the amount of suggestions that have been considered and incorporated into various systems.

The last system was tweaked to near perfection by encompassing all levels of contributions including applause count, post count, and a ratio of posts, stars, and flags. Then new levels such as Solid and Bronze Exception were created as a way accommodate long time contributes who were unhappy with being labeled novices. After all that work, I have to admit I was a bit frustrated to see people acting like that still wasn't good enough. Management went above and beyond to please as many as possible, taking all suggestions into consideration.

Now we are given a new system and I see people not liking the fact we're only judged by flags. Well I'm sorry but we just had a system that took everything into consideration but it was balked at. That's frustrating. So how about we sleep on it, so to speak, for a little while?

That's all I'm going to say on this issue. I'm sure we come to ATS for the content and/or member fellowship. Not to stare at the profiles. Please let's try to remember that.

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by caitlinfae
Why don't we just be done with it and rate people on how tall they are standing in their socks? At least that would be universal. Very little else is making sense here just now. Something very weird is happening in ATS recently, and I don't like it at all. Caitlin out.

I see it too. It's sad to see a once tight knit community fragment into classes and cliques, worthy, unworthy, thread makers, whiners, malcontents and "what's left"

I no longer feel a part of the fellowship. Being called names and being categorized doesn't really engender warm feelings or a sense of belonging.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by whaaa]

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AshleyD

Are you kidding? The content is secondary...

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by whaaa

Originally posted by caitlinfae

I see it too. It's sad to see a once tight knit community fragment into classes and cliques, worthy, unworthy, thread makers, whiners, malcontents and "what's left"

I no longer feel a part of the fellowship. Being called names and being categorized doesn't really engender warm feelings or a sense of belonging.

I'm hanging out in this thread because it is more interesting to me to hear what our members think about this than reading about the swine flu or the latest.

[edit on 1-6-2009 by whaaa]
How tight knit are we really? If something such as this can divide us in any real way. I have made quite a few friends surrounding this issue, and have had discussions in u2u with several others. In some ways it is bringing like minded together as it always has at ATS. Those of us who don't like being classified are letting our ideas be known. Nothing wrong with that. It may irritate some people to the point that they need to call us names but then that is how it all started isn't it. Don't worry Whaaa. We are still going to find our fellowship here if we look.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by AshleyD
Well I'm sorry but we just had a system that took everything into consideration but it was balked at. That's frustrating. So how about we sleep on it, so to speak, for a little while?

Actually at least some of us only "balked" at the idea of having ourselves labeled a particular based on a system which has little bearing to what the labels represented.

God Like Wisdom?

Yes, it's symbolic. Words are symbols. But they are symbols which carry emotional weight. Otherwise we wouldn't be here. We wouldn't bother writing.

The object of complaint was for a system that was as genuinely representative as possible. It had nothing to do with "the numbers", which are hard and fast measurements but rather eliminating the arbitrary attribution of greater or lesser quality based on those numbers.

Just to put it simply. A person could conceivably make only one post. One brilliant post. The general consensus among the populous could well be that the post is so brilliant that the person genuinely possess "God Like Wisdom". But according the system, they are only a Novice.

Which is why the original color bar system was simple and effective, and perhaps perfect.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:37 PM
link   
reply to post by jkrog08

www.abovetopsecret.com...

Yep, yep yep. I was going to bake a cake. But I did this instead.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:43 PM
link   
Originally posted by AshleyD

I'm sure we come to ATS for the content and/or member fellowship. Not to stare at the profiles. Please let's try to remember that.
Then why put things to stare at on the profiles? We are trying to tell the powers that be, that the content and fellowship was enough. They are the ones who brought attention to the profiles, not us.

posted on Jun, 1 2009 @ 12:54 PM
link   
Hmm. Fair enough. We're almost back to the bars of gibberish and that's fine with me!

Now just bring back WATS and have done with it...

new topics

top topics

<< 123  124  125    127  128  129 >>

join