It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Surge in fatal shark attacks blamed on global warming

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   

Surge in fatal shark attacks blamed on global warming

www.guardian.co.uk

Three decades have passed since the movie Jaws sent terrified bathers scrambling out of the ocean. But as any beach lifeguard knows, there's still nothing like a gory shark attack to stoke public hysteria and paranoia.

Two deaths in the waters off California and Mexico last week and a spate of shark-inflicted injuries to surfers off Florida's Atlantic coast have left beachgoers seeking an explanation for a sudden surge in the number of strikes.

In the first four months of this year, there were four fatal shark attacks worldwide, compared with one in the whole of 2007, according to the International Shark Attack File at the Florida Museum of Natural History in Gainesville.

'The one thing that's affecting shark attacks more than anything else is human activity,' said Dr George Burgess of Florida University, a shark expert who maintains the database. 'As the population continues to rise, so does the number of people in the water for recreation. And as long as we have an increase in human hours in the water, we will have an increase in shark bites.'
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on May, 3 2008 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Please. I am so sick of this stuff. Everything is blamed on Global Warming. Want to know why these shark attacks are front page news? SLOW NEWS WEEK. Thats it. These things have been going for as long as man has been swimming in the ocean.

QUESTION: How can you blame shark attacks on something that does not even exist???????????

Total BUNK!

www.guardian.co.uk

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 01:09 AM
link   
reply to post by traderonwallst
Nah, the other critters of Earth know global warming is not the issue. They simply hate humans because humans are an arrogant self-righteous species that are polluting the Earth and destroying all wildlife habitats and driving these other "equal citizens of Earth" into extinction. For that alone, most humans should die, die in the mouths of sharks, tigers, wolves, . . . . Wouldn't you agree?

Humans have become a hostile violent destructive selfish uncaring invasive infestation upon Earth. Fortunately however, nature has a natural DEFENSE against such a horrible devastating overpopulated species. Soon, human hunting season will be upon you all. And your brains will fill the bellies of hordes of invading reptilians from space. Just like before. And then natural balance and peace upon Earth will be restored, so that the cycle can repeat again.

Isn't that nice? And justified?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 01:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Divinorumus
And your brains will fill the bellies of hordes of invading reptilians from space. Just like before. And then natural balance and peace upon Earth will be restored, so that the cycle can repeat again.

Please tell me what lead you to this belief system. How do you know the Draconians will invade earth? How do you know they have before?

back on topic [but still interested in a reply from divinorumus]

Well that sucks, i dont swim anyway hehe

[edit on 4-5-2008 by BlackMagicianofEloheem]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by BlackMagicianofEloheem
Please tell me what lead you to this belief system.

My belief and faith in universal justice ~ for all life forms. Karma. What goes around, comes around. An eye for an eye. Natural balance. I mean, it would seem pretty awful and unjust if humanity weren't somehow severely punished and made to suffer for their crimes against nature. Just as how winter comes along and decimates the mosquito infestation just when they become too numerous and intolerable, I have faith that the same fate will befall humanity when they decidedly become the same. And now they have. And their days are numbered.

BTW, global warming is simply a cyclic thing. And so is the ice age that will follow. Humans are not responsible for global warming, but the are certainly guilty of wildlife genocide and countless other crimes against nature! Even the superstitious bible thumpers have to be pretty damn worried about the consequences of vandalizing and wrecking their gods creations. Wouldn't you think?

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 03:29 AM
link   
We used to have years with no fatal shark attacks, then we'd have a couple of injuries, then suddenly we'd have two or three in as many months, and then suddenly nothing for the rest of the year. It depends on the shark's food source more than anything. If it's time for the turtles to breed, you're going to see more tiger sharks in the area, and chances are if you're swimming near where they eat, they may come see if you're food.

It has nothing to do with global warming, it's just shark fear mongering at it's best. Sharks are truly fascinating creatures for those who bother to look beyond the sharp teeth.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Divinorumus

Honestly I think there is nothing tastier in the summertime than a nice Shark steak on the bar-b-que, with a nice side of steak and s lobster tail.

YUM YUM YUM

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Surge in global warming threads blamed on fatally misinformed internet sharks. Everytime a "global warming" is heard someone like me has to reply "climate change". It's getting tedious. Is that the goal?

I want my wings.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 09:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by traderonwallst

Please. I am so sick of this stuff. Everything is blamed on Global Warming. Want to know why these shark attacks are front page news? SLOW NEWS WEEK. Thats it. These things have been going for as long as man has been swimming in the ocean.

QUESTION: How can you blame shark attacks on something that does not even exist???????????

Total BUNK!

Huh?? Sorry pal, but 98% of enviromental scientists would adamantly dissagree with you. 'Global Warming Does Not Exist'? Now THAT'S total bunk.

What this has to do with with GW I don't know - maybe I should read the whole article - maybe not.

J.

www.guardian.co.uk

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Looking over the referenced article, it seems like this is not so much being blamed on Global Warming as it is being blamed on whatever excuse scientists came dream up. In simple terms, they just don't know.

More time is focused on the population using beaches for recreation than for any other cause, and I would guess that would be the best argument, along with some chaotic game of chance that more people came into more contact with hungrier sharks than normal.

I have noticed a definite attempt on the powers that be trying to restart the Global Warming debate, despite the recnet data that shows the earth is no longer warming (one year of cooling, to be exact). But I don't think this is anything so sinister. It's just wild guessing.

reply to post by Divinorumus

I mean, it would seem pretty awful and unjust if humanity weren't somehow severely punished and made to suffer for their crimes against nature. Just as how winter comes along and decimates the mosquito infestation just when they become too numerous and intolerable, I have faith that the same fate will befall humanity when they decidedly become the same. And now they have. And their days are numbered.

I'm going to make a guess that you live in or near a large city. Please rest assured that mankind has not destroyed everything. Here, there are plenty of deer, rabbits, squirrels, coyotes, raccoons, foxes, possums, a plethora of stray cats and dogs, and a few wolves and bobcats, and the occasional bear and cougar. We have not decimated the whole planet, just tiny sections of it.

Take a short vacation sometime to the country. Not some dude ranch a few miles out of town, but the real country. Take a drive from one end of your country to the other (avoiding cities when you can), and look with open eyes. You'll be amazed at what you see.

Also, check out the ecological history of Australia. Mankind is not the only species to have wrought destruction. Australia has some pretty severe restrictions on anything living entering their country, for a very good reason. The ecology down there has been isolated from the rest of the world for so long that it has adapted in ways that make it particularly vulnerable to outside species, and in more than one case, a single creature brought in has upset the balance considerably. Mankind's civilization of the continent, however, has had minimal impact there.

Maybe you should be getting angry at frogs instead?

TheRedneck

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:14 AM
link   
It's all part of Tim Bedore's "Animal Conspiracy Theory"

Here is some audio regarding this theory via Tim's Website...

TheOtherAnimalsAreAginUs

And a stray cat that wandered into my home last night bit me... I BLAME GLOBAL WARMING!!!

[edit on 5/4/2008 by RabbitChaser]

[edit on 5/4/2008 by RabbitChaser]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 10:17 AM
link   
I have two rules to live by,mostly:

1: As a trucker, I don't drive anything that can go BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

2: I don't swim in any water that has TEETH swimming in it larger than a minnow!!!

It werkz fer me!! There isn't any such statistic of 99% of any scientific endevor has that kind of concensus. We exhale Carbon. If you hate humans that much. Go jump off a bridge, your confusing the issue.
MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX. Climate change is NORMAL!
Zindo

[edit on 5/4/2008 by ZindoDoone]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 11:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by ZindoDoone
I have two rules to live by,mostly:

1: As a trucker, I don't drive anything that can go BOOOOOOOOOOOM!!!!!

2: I don't swim in any water that has TEETH swimming in it larger than a minnow!!!

It werkz fer me!! There isn't any such statistic of 99% of any scientific endevor has that kind of concensus. We exhale Carbon. If you hate humans that much. Go jump off a bridge, your confusing the issue.
MAN MADE GLOBAL WARMING IS A HOAX. Climate change is NORMAL!
Zindo

You beat me to it!

At the risk of boring you, my grandfather, about 40 years ago said "wrote something on a piece of paper, folded it, then slid it over the table to me saying, "Son if we could find a way to charge people for this little piece of information we could be rich!" He said, he had found the 100% guaranteed way to avoid any more shark attacks and that if people knew this tidbit, attacks would virtually end for all time.

I opened the paper ... it read ...

"Stay away from the water."

(He's such a jerk sometimes. Luv ya! )

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 12:35 PM
link   
I just hope history isn't repeating itself. The last time we had a summer of the shark attacks, where the news was constantly covering such things was in 2001. A few months later came 9/11 and the sharks were forgotten.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 12:39 PM
link   

Trader,

I'm convinced that you in fact DO believe in Global Warming and are simply making light of it and it's non-believers.

There is no way someone would continue to come on here month after month after month blowing off Global Warming as totally as you claim to.

Quit the charade. Nobody is this hard-headed unless they are full aware of it, whether you will admit it or not.

[edit on 5/4/2008 by bigbert81]

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by mrwupy
I just hope history isn't repeating itself. The last time we had a summer of the shark attacks, where the news was constantly covering such things was in 2001. A few months later came 9/11 and the sharks were forgotten.

That would be a quick end to any shark news stories.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 01:35 PM
link   
reply to post by bigbert81

Listen Bibert. I do it because I am so damn sick and tired of anyone believing it be anything more than NORMAL CYCLES. I honestly can't believe anyone is that stupid on here. If its not an ocean cycle, its a solar cycle. There are cycles in every aspect of our being. Occasionally a few of them over lap and we see an exaggerated result, people like to call it global warming......wait.....climate change......wait......global cooling. When one name doesn't work, keep the concept and chnge the name.

Want me to stop posting articles concerning global warming......Have everyone in the world sign a statement they will stop trying to shove it down our damn throats.

That should do it. Then I will promise to stop pointing out the total stupidity of the issue.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 04:36 PM
link   

More of the same.

You act like you KNOW it doesn't exist because nobody's grabbed your hand and physically shown you how it's happening, yet you are being extremely hypocritical because nobody can do the opposite either.

You are either just blowing smoke, or you are an incredibly, incredibly huge hypocrite.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by bigbert81

More of the same.

You act like you KNOW it doesn't exist because nobody's grabbed your hand and physically shown you how it's happening, yet you are being extremely hypocritical because nobody can do the opposite either.

You are either just blowing smoke, or you are an incredibly, incredibly huge hypocrite.

Fine. I have no problem with you calling me names, I could care less about there.

But if your going to call me a hypocrite, please explain and use examples. Otherwise please refrain from name calling while posting on my threads.

Thanks.

posted on May, 4 2008 @ 07:17 PM
link   

Examples?

I thought I just did. You can go back and read my last post if you want.

But as far as I'm concerned, you are putting on an act.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join