It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

There's that buzz again!

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sublime620
You said it was at night? Do you have appliances on? Is it possible that they are leaking out electromagnetic fields? I've heard those cause ringing in the ears. Look for maybe some old wires or exposed wires connected to any of your electronics/appliances.

Yes, it's always happened during the night, except the first time, which was in the early evening (so I suppose it could qualify as "night").

And no, there aren't any exposed wires or cables around (perish the thought!).
In the room where it happened the last time (the living room), there's only my PC (and it's not THAT near :-) In the bedroom where it happened last year, there are no electric appliances at all, not counting a small radio alarm clock (which I never use) - and the night light, of course. ;-)

But they are very useful (not to mention sane
) suggestions.
Thanks!

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:20 PM
link   

I have some information that might help you out but at the moment im going for some breakfast.

So when i get back i will edit this post.

Ok...
Bon appetit, I guess.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   

First off, why does everything have to be connected with aliens and abductions. Im pretty sure its nothing to do with this.... But I will keep an open mind for now.

JQ.

I couldn't agree more, John.
And that goes for the "keeping an open mind" part, too.

As to your experience, it's fascinating.
It sounds very different to mine - considering the apparent source (inside your ear, whereas I feel it as an intrusion from outside) - but who knows, the origin might still be the same.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:24 PM
link   
This buzz you're experiencing interests me, as I experience a constant ringing myself. When I was young, I had 2 surgeries on my ears - not major, just tubes put in to release fluid. My hearing was bad, and I woke up during one of my surgeries while they were working on me. That is a surreal experience.

Since then, I have had this low droning/ringing in my ears. When it is quiet, I hear the ringing over the silence. I don't know if I hear it, or if the ringing is what my brain interprets due to the operations, nerve damage, or whatever. Sometimes, the ringing is very specific, usually in my right ear which is the weaker of the two, except it is very noticeable and loud, like when you think someone is talking about you, or however that tale goes.

It's strange that I don't remember my hearing without the ringing. I do recognize when there's a change in the intensity of the ringing, though.

I'll have to check on your other thread to get more of an idea on this buzz you hear.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:31 PM
link   
reply to post by DamnedDirtyApes

I am sorry that you had to be subjected to surgeries...
But at least you know what's the likely source of your "buzz"!
(Mind you, in my case it's not at all similar to ringing.)

I'd talk to some top-notch otorhinolaryngologist if I were you.
Why should you live with constant noise in your ear, if they're there to correct it (and may have caused its appearance in the first place)?

Have you tried Ginko capsules?
It may not work in your case, since it seems to be caused by a mechanical defect - but it would do you no harm anyway.

[edit on 27-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   

If it were a colour it would be a bright white light..

P.S. Thanks for posting this observation.
It's much more important than you may realise.

(If needed, I'll explain some other time. ; ).

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:42 PM
link   

Maybe it's some type of invasion we aren't yet aware of, whether it's viral and or extraterrestrial. It would be interesting if someone could start a website to poll people with similar experiences to get an idea of how widespread it may be. Any other symptoms such as tremors or even strange smells?

Well, it definitely feels like an "invasion" - but only because it seems to come from the outside.

And no, no other symptoms.
(I would have related them - believe me. Heck, if I hadn't broken my grandpapa's barometer, I would have reported even the hygroscopic conditions at the time!
)

Your event, on the other hand, does sound remarkably similar to a type of migraine that often goes undetected because it's not accompanied by a headache.
Still, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.
(And it's not like the docs can do anything about it, anyway. They may SAY, or even think, they can, but they can't.)

[edit on 27-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

I've taken ginko supplements, but never thought to see if they reduced perceived ringing. I guess you could say that I've become accustomed to the ringing. It is there, although not loud enough to disrupt my life. I suppose you could relate the ringing to the fan motor on your computer, or the wurring of a drive. It's just there. I don't think anyone can remove this ringing. Those surgeries did result in me getting much my hearing back.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:47 PM
link   
Thanks a million, John!

I'd rather not meet the idiot who called it "the Exploding Head Syndrome", but it is extremely interesting, and at least parts of it do apply.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:48 PM
link   

I don't think anyone can remove this ringing.

Oooh, I wouldn't be so sure...
Greater "miracles" have happened.

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:49 PM
link   
If I've missed a post, I apologise.
I hope to return here this evening, anyway.

Thanks!

posted on Apr, 27 2008 @ 10:58 PM
link   
reply to post by John Q

P.S, Call me crazy (many do, no biggie
), but...

"A report by a British physician in 1988 might be the first description of exploding head syndrome.[2]"

(That's from the Wikipedia article.)

1988...?

Did heads not explode before that?
(Well, mine certainly didn't.)

No physician ever heard of this symptom before 1988?

Isn't that rather odd?

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
Hi Vanitas, glad the info helped a little, though now after a bit more reading im not sure how valid or useful it really is...

Ive read various documents about this exploding head syndrome and a lot of it contradicts itself. The info is scarce anyway and the general medical conclusion for this is that they dont know what it is. Although they say its safe. Fantastic...

What Ive read in medical documents so far say that its a rare experience, affects people in the age group of 50 and upwards, more common in women than men.

Well im a man, im 36, ive had this since my early twenties and ive had quite a few of these things. But also I found quite a few personal accounts of this happening to people of all ages click here.

I looked into the astral noise / travel side of this and to be honest I got more answers from these people. Another sound I sometimes hear (but not always) is a click or popping sound at the end of the explosion, I didnt think much of it until I read it in a document about astral noise.

So is this "exploding head syndrome" just a label science has given to something they cant explain.

I do have a question for the people that experience this astral noise / travel, if we are experiencing this phenomenon why are we doing this when were awake or at least as we go to sleep. From what ive read you have to have a lucid dream before you reach this astral noise. Must point out i have no idea what im talking about here, so correct me if im wrong.

This sound / noise does seem to cross paths between science and paranormal im just not sure which one is right.. I will keep reading.
Vanitas why is the white colour I saw important, just curious thats all.

Thanks,

JQ.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 03:50 PM
link   

So is this "exploding head syndrome" just a label science has given to something they cant explain.

Yes. Not only that, but - as we can see from the info you quoted yourself - they don't even care or are knowledgeable enough to separate it from what might sound as similar phenomena but aren't really the same thing.

Also, the age grouping... how did they come up with that?
None of the (admittedly few) people I've read about who had the same experience - and myself included - were anywhere near fifty.
(I have a sneaking suspicion that this is their insidious way of associating it - not even knowing what "it" is - with menopause: the blanket explanation for practically anything unusual that happens to females...
).

But it was certainly worth reading nevertheless.

And I hope more people will read this and offer their views.

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 03:57 PM
link   
reply to post by CavemanDD

That is interesting.

I haven't noticed anything of the kind in myself, but I'll be even more attentive to possible "patterns" of subsequent events and/or trains of thoughts.
(I certainly haven't noticed any physical effects in my interaction with the outside world - such as the ones you described - afterwards, but there may have been other clues that I've missed.)

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Its amazing you experience this stuff in a "normal" state

Not really.

And believe me (although I am perfectly aware that it's difficult to believe), this is not a self-indulgent reply, just to keep on talking about yours truly... :-)

What I meant was that in my "normal" state I experience a lot of things that I've come to realise don't qualify as everyday occurrences.
(I am really thankful that I grew up with a mother who didn't conform to the mold that views such things as "abnormal", hence in need to be "cured" ASAP - certainly not by people in white frocks.)

For that same reason, I couldn't really gauge my own "groundedness" (is that a word?).
What I can say is that I am very, very connected to "nature" and the elements.
I walk barefoot whenever I can (I don't even own slippers or any kind of indoor footwear) because I truly enjoy it (there's nothing like the feeling of one's rosy pinkies in warm mud!
), I despise umbrellas and treat them accordingly, I thrive when there is a storm brewing, thunder is Wagner to my ears, and I adore having powerful winds coif my hair.

Why is that relevant?
I don't know that it is. But maybe it is.

Anyway, I hope somebody else can find these "symptoms" of some use.

As for "astral noise", I'll be reporting back my observations as soon as I have researched it properly.

Thanks for the opportunity to discuss this!

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 04:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vanitas

Your event, on the other hand, does sound remarkably similar to a type of migraine that often goes undetected because it's not accompanied by a headache.
Still, I wouldn't worry too much if I were you.
(And it's not like the docs can do anything about it, anyway. They may SAY, or even think, they can, but they can't

Please elaborate. I recall signing a DNR several years ago and possibly taking chemo and some nasty drug called Cipro that made me think I was dying. 5 years later on disability, I'm still alive but my father has sinced died from brain cancer.

He used to tell me for some years that I was delusional and it was ALL in your head.

When he finally informed us he had brain cancer I told him the same thing.(chuckling) That's messed up. Now it seems that everyone in my family has some weird illness.

I've tried changing my diet and I do have headaches in the back of my head and have since recalled this from childhood along with seizures.

From what I now recall from bloodwork at the hospital; they said I had an allergic reaction to salicylates. Probably for most of my life. Delusional or not, I've tried changing my diet now and the list of foods that contain salicylates is very long.

I Keep having tests for STDs every year and they always come back negative. I feel as if they're hiding something from me though. I guess they didn't expect me to live this long either.

I'm reminded of a song from (confirmation) Jesus Christ Superstar: What's that Buzz? (eh.)

[edit on 28-4-2008 by aleon1018]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 06:32 PM
link   
reply to post by aleon1018

You mean about the type of migraine I talked about?
Well, it's just that: a (supposed) "migraine" without the headache, but with optical anomalies, like scotomas (bright "blind" spots).

Here is a description.

Please, try not to worry too much, regardless of your father's unfortunate disease. It's not as if you were doomed to get the same thing he did.

And since I am sure you are taking all the necessary precautions and visiting medical practitioners yourself, let me just add a suggestion: you may want to find a really, really good homoeopath. (You don't have to believe in the efficacy of homoeopathy, it'll work regardless - that's the beauty of it.
)

[edit on 28-4-2008 by Vanitas]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by Vanitas

from your link...

The disturbance which occurs approximately every 6 months, reportedly begins centrally as a small, bilateral, circular distortion, and then expands, over a 20-minute period, into an enlarging three-quarter circle of brightly colored and flickering lights described as being "similar to multiple small prisms laid side-by-side in semicircular fashion."
findarticles.com...

I have had this happen to me regularly (every few months) for decades. Getting used to it is difficult, especially while reading or painting, but I've learned to just go and relax for awhile and ignore it. My mother suffered from migraines and I suppose I inherited that tendency, but without the headaches themselves

At my age (61), there is no reason to bother with it, even though it initially stumped my family doctor who had no idea what I was talking about. Finally, it's just become another addition to my paintings.

Here it is, in stylized form at the top LEFT hand corner:

edit cuz I don't know left from right

[edit on 28/4/08 by masqua]

posted on Apr, 28 2008 @ 07:26 PM
link   
reply to post by masqua

Whoa, that's great!
(Do you have them somewhere in a higher resolution, perhaps?)

I wish my scotomas looked like that...

I only know of this type of migraine because I had them - and frankly, I find the diagnosis a bit woolly.
Migraine?
Why not call it "we don't know what it is, but it's in the head, so it better be a headache, only without the ache"... ? :-)

I was terrified the first time it happened: a brilliant blindness - just after I had successfully passed my first university exam.

Later on, I learned that "anomalies", even physical ones, do not necessarily spell doom...

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join