It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What did jesus look like??

page: 18
<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join
share:

posted on Jul, 10 2005 @ 10:03 PM
link   
Clearly the christ child is already amungst us...

posted on Jul, 20 2005 @ 05:01 AM
link   
In my opinion Jesus didn't look like an arab and didn't have black or arab features. He looked like a mordern day Jew. Why would there be any difference between a modern day Jew and Jesus ?

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:20 PM
link   
OMG i had to join this board just to post these messages...
First... " why didnt Jesus look like modern day Jews? " Because Modern day Jews in Isreal are from all over the world, as well as a mixture of other ethnic cultures as opposed to 3000 yrs ago.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:22 PM
link   
next his name wasnt Jesus, nor Christ... as stated before this is a title, translated to Messiah, or Anointed one...
His name was historically, Yeshua Ben Joseph ...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:27 PM
link   
however, as is the habit of European culture, they assumed the name "Yeshua" meant Joshua, the same way they assumed the Tetregammaton was Jehovah. In fact, it also meant " anoited one" as in prophecies in ancient scripture... "Ashua" or Ya Ashua . This name is much different thaN joshua, as in it denotes the fact that his mother, who was already aware that he would fulfill Hebrew prophecy, so obviously she would name him anointed one.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:29 PM
link   
Ok could he have been black? Because he was from a major port city, there were people from all over including India ( Hindustan) and Ethiopia living there at this time...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
in Luke, it shows his linage back to Adam thru his father Joseph... but if his father was truly God, then his fathers linage would be moot, however, if you go back to the apocryphic "book of Infant Mary" it shows that she also was from the line of David, and her biological parents, Anna and Joaqim( ? ) and their families, were from Bethlehem, and the port city of Galilee. If they were from that area, her family would be related to who i believe would be modern day palistinians...

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:39 PM
link   
also, sorry , but Jews and Arabs are related thru a common ancestor, Abraham.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by joehayner
Lol, whatever.

Ok, I think the problem here is that those who are arguing that it doesn't matter are thinking of Jesus in a spiritual form, whilst Colonel is thinking of him in a physical form.

Colonel, is the physical form more important than the spiritual one?(gaah! I'm agnostic, I feel weird saying that) If it were the SAME Jesus,(spiritually) and he was in the form of an Arabic man, and he did the SAME EXACT things, and said the SAME EXACT things, is the message any different?

Arabic was Mohammed , Jesus was Galileean, not Arabic, not the same thing.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:53 PM
link   
oh yea... Esennes were not the first Christians, they in fact predate Christianity. Esennes were the third branch of judeasm, with Pharasees and Saudisees... their communities were established well before the birth of Jesus. ( see Qumran scrolls ) They were in fact the only zealous branch that believed in baptism, and scholars believe that both John the Baptist, ( Jew ) and Jesus were schooled if not belonging to the Esennes.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 06:59 PM
link   
in fact, the followers of Jesus, and the Apostles, were known as Nazerrenes, and later "people of the Gospels." NOT Christians. The followers of Paul were first called Christians. ( read Corinthians.) In fact, the 12 apostles after the death of Jesus, ( yes 12, not including Paul ) remained Jewish, it was Paul, who never having known Jesus alive, elevated Christ from Messiah, to diety, and established what is basically contemporary Christianity, which is in essence, Pauline, NOT Christian.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:04 PM
link   
dont believe me? look in your Bible, 14 books are written in the New Testament by Paul. only 4, by any of the original Apostles. Removed are books written by other Apostles, including Mathias, and Jesus' brothers, and the Apostle Mary. ( yes Mary M was the Apostles Apostle. )

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Colonel

Originally posted by Tyriffic

It is the message that counts. Not his Birth. Not his color.
It is His death for our sins that bears the weight and reason of his coming.
I agree with colonel that common sense says he must have been (logically) a non-nordic, bronze, brown, tan, whatever color tone man....I also must disagree with the tone of the assertion- this is why Jesus did not want us talking about this diviseve issue maybe?????

Could someone tell me what this "message" is?

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:12 PM
link   

It is the message that counts. Not his Birth. Not his color.
It is His death for our sins that bears the weight and reason of his coming.
I agree with colonel that common sense says he must have been (logically) a non-nordic, bronze, brown, tan, whatever color tone man....I also must disagree with the tone of the assertion- this is why Jesus did not want us talking about this diviseve issue maybe?????

Could someone tell me what this "message" is?

The message is this:

You can be granted everlasting life by accepting Jesus Christ as your savior and believing he rose from the dead after three days for your sins.............

WRONG if you are a Christian you better go back and re read scrpiture as to what Christ said.

Text11] For this is the message that ye heard from the beginning, that we should love one another. 1 John 3:11

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:14 PM
link   
THAT was his message. People have lost the message and remembered the messenger. That wasnt what he wanted.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:24 PM
link   
oh yea,...whew. Hebrews were notorious for keeping historical records, ( book of Wars) even the dates and events of passovers....historically, there is no question of whether or not Jesus was a real person... the only debate was whether or not he was the Messiah.

posted on Nov, 10 2005 @ 07:30 PM
link   

1 Corinthians 3
18Do not deceive yourselves. If any one of you thinks he is wise by the standards of this age, he should become a "fool" so that he may become wise. 19For the wisdom of this world is foolishness in God's sight. As it is written: "He catches the wise in their craftiness"[1] ; 20and again, "The Lord knows that the thoughts of the wise are futile."[2]

How ya like that, smart guy.

Colonel, one last question ... if you are a follower of Christ, then why do you quote Paul so much?

posted on Nov, 22 2005 @ 02:11 AM
link   
yep...
read the entire thing, at least until i started skimming the last two or three pages
but i'd already gone beyond by then- and wanted to tear my hair out and remind myself
to NEVER do such a thing EVER again!! so much bickering!
such a shame to ask for answers and then fight off anyone attempting to provide them!
even so, i thought i should at least contribute something
after bothering to read most of that... ahem... RUBBISH!

(i won't point to the bilge, i believe we can all step over that and actually address the topic?)

someone at the following site has done an excellent and fine job of compiling as many early documents containing descriptions of Jesus that are to be found. remember that these are in fact descriptions written by other men- and since it seemed to me a good 15 pages of this thread dedicated itself to describing 'burnt bronze' and every shade from one end of the spectrum to the other (and with very creative color descriptions for the same hues)... lest anyone throw crayons at one another and call CRAYOLA the anti-christ
, the link is only provided for those who were genuinely interested in what others of that time period thought of his appearance, and may explain where the 'stereo-typical' Jesus depictions originated.

Physical Descriptions of Christ

Isaiah 53 is generally accepted as prophecy concerning Christ, and points out:

from Is. 53:2 (KJV):
he hath no form nor comeliness; and when we shall see him,
[there is] no beauty that we should desire him.

and for quick and easy reference, the description suggests that Jesus will NOT appear:

from Merriam-Webster Online Dictionary:
Main Entry: come·ly
1 : pleasurably conforming to notions of good appearance, suitability, or proportion
2 : having a pleasing appearance : not homely or plain
synonym see BEAUTIFUL
- come·li·ness noun

2Cr 10:7 (KJV) "Do ye look on things after the outward appearance?
If any man trust to himself that he is Christ's, let him of himself think this again,
that, as he [is] Christ's, even so [are] we Christ's."

i think most of the folk that tried desperately to point out that it was the message that mattered, not the vessel nor the form taken by that individual, were dead on....

and NOW i'll tip mah hat, bid ya'll g'day, and scoot back over to ATS and BTS!!!!!!!!

~am

posted on Dec, 22 2005 @ 11:34 PM
link   
...Now. I find it interesting that there are many images of
The Black Maddona,and child (Jesus) found in Europe!

Even in Mexico, and in California, in the U.S., some of the earliest images
brought to the Americas by the Spanish colonizers showed Black
images...

Why is this...?

www.cwo.com...

www.udayton.edu...

I once asked an educator;an Italian American woman familiar with mideval
history about this. She stated thatJesus did not start to appearAnglo Saxon until around the 1600's,when basically, Europeon painters werewere commissioned to paint him as such..

This give cause to wonder...

posted on Dec, 27 2005 @ 02:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by cosmokatt7
...Now. I find it interesting that there are many images of
The Black Maddona,and child (Jesus) found in Europe!

Even in Mexico, and in California, in the U.S., some of the earliest images
brought to the Americas by the Spanish colonizers showed Black
images...

Why is this...?

www.cwo.com...

www.udayton.edu...

I once asked an educator;an Italian American woman familiar with mideval
history about this. She stated thatJesus did not start to appearAnglo Saxon until around the 1600's,when basically, Europeon painters werewere commissioned to paint him as such..

This give cause to wonder...

To be more specific it was during the rein of James after the death of Elizabeth I. It was well known that James was obsessed with the idea of being a divine ruler and even commissioned Shakespeare to write many plays involving the occult.. .Macbeth being the most popular of the Jacobean plays.

James also commissioned a new translation of the bible thus the King James Bible translated early 17th century. At this time he also had many painters paint an image of Jesus befitting the King of England... when you look at the "Picture of Jesus" the blond haired blue eyes.. you are looking at a painting of James, King of England.

Just a bit of fun trivia.

new topics

top topics

<< 15  16  17    19 >>

join