It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

afghanistan, the forgotten war?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Apr, 17 2008 @ 10:03 PM
link   
has america forgotten about the war in afghanistan?

in light of some recent events and not so recent events, i have found myself asking this question over and over. being a disabled vet since 2003 ive had my experinces with the va hospital, it seems to me that the iraq vets get more benifits. also i was talking to some people today about the military. they asked me when i got out, when i told them their only responce was oh how lucky you didnt have to go to iraq. i said nothing after that and walked away. now im not mad at this, it just made me think have we forgotten?

its always been my oppinoin the the war in iraq was designed to divert our eyes from afghanistan. every one that thinks bush is and idiot think about that.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 04:56 AM
link   
Well as I have said on the board by invading Iraq Bush has made the same mistake Hitler did that is overcommitting his forces in to many places which meant that victory want possible in any of the major theatres. A fraction of the troops deployed in Iraq could have been used to win the war in Afghanistan.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:03 AM
link   
I have often though the same about the British troops in Afghanistan. At one point, we were losing more men and women out there than in Iraq.. now it is very rarely on the news. What is happening over there?

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 05:25 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty
What is happening over there?

A lack of man power and the fact that only five countries have there troops in a combat has allowed the enemy to make a come back and infiltrate the centre and the north of the country . Despite the France sending additional troops there is still about a 8000 troop short fall in terms of man power. The additional troops can really only come from NATO or the likes of South Korea .

This thread may be of interest.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 10:35 AM
link   
They are about to send 3000 more US Marines to the south of Afghanistan-thats where the Brits are,and its tough-towns and areas have to be taken many times as troops are stretched and taliban re occupy previously cleared areas.

news.bbc.co.uk...

The worry is that the taliban will launch a major spring offensive in the south.
They get reinforced from the tribal areas of Pakistan as well.
Its still a right mess,and far from over unfortunately.

We tend to hear very little about Afghanistan in our media these days(in the UK),unless one of our idiot politicians goes over for a photo op,or if another of our soldiers is killed.
The war still rages on.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Silcone Synapse

We tend to hear very little about Afghanistan in our media these days(in the UK),unless one of our idiot politicians goes over for a photo op,or if another of our soldiers is killed.
The war still rages on.

its the same way here in the us.

our south carolina national guard just came home, and that really the most ive heard on the subject in quite some time. it really makes me wonder why that is.

posted on Apr, 18 2008 @ 02:42 PM
link   
It isn't forgotten here in Canada.

As a matter of fact, it is on the news and in the paper's almost daily.

Lately the talk has been about how the Afghan mission is taking much needed resources from our Navy.

There has also been an almost steady stream of discussion on what the hell we are actually doing there and is it worth the lives we have lost up to now.

Oh and our Foriegn Minister just managed to pull his foot out of his mouth after saying that we need to get rid of the Governor of Kandahar.

Bernier told reporters that a key Canadian partner in Afghanistan - the governor of Kandahar - should be replaced. A short time later, the Foreign Affairs Department in Ottawa issued a statement in Bernier's name retracting that comment, suggesting that Canada has no right to opine on the internal affairs of a sovereign country.

www.canada.com...

It may be on the back burner else where but not here. It is front and centre in our discussions.

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:34 PM
link   
i wish i knew what was happening out there. i read in the news paper today that the us military was trying harder to get people in that normaly wouldnt be allowed to get into the military. although i fail to see that ive been trying to reenlist for some time now and have yet to hear from the folks that grant waivers who

posted on Apr, 22 2008 @ 10:36 PM
link   
reply to post by GAOTU789

well good for canadia. im glad to here that, but it has all but made daily news here in the us. and the sad fact is it is our war...

posted on May, 2 2008 @ 08:58 AM
link   
The forgotten war - oh I wish I could bloody forget it.

But what do I know? I'm just an old army wife. Regardless, after having my spouse return from Afghan-land from working in ISAF HQ FOR 12 FREAKEN MONTHS - and explaining to the best of his ability what the hell everyone is doing over there - without of course disclosing anything secret or top secret or even secret squirrel for that matter (no need for investigation CSIS) I STILL haven't the foggiest notion of whether or not I support the mission.

From what I gather - Afghanistan culture is one of hardcore peer pressure with historically corrupt police, military and government which the Afghan people do not trust...not that I blame them...try fighting terrorism in that environment.

One thing I am certain of is: KAF is a good place to have extramarital affairs while your spouse takes care of all the ongoing crap at home on the other side of the world. So much for the frat rules.

new topics

top topics

join