It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is The Bottom About To Drop Out?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:38 PM
link   
I'm not an economist, and I admit that I understand very little about our monetary system, but my gut instinct tells me something bad is about to happen. Will it be a complete economc collapse, a major depression, a minor economic downturn as they say, or the end of life as we Americans know it. I guess we'll all just have to wait and see.

Every day gas prices seem to go up, groceries prices continue to rise, more and more people are becoming homeless across the nation, employers are either downsizing or outsourcing more jobs, civil rights violation are a common ocurrence, gun possession laws are getting stricter, and the overall outlook of the country seems somewhat grimmer.

Maybe I'm just paranoid, I don't know.. What do you think?

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Nah...been seeing so-called "warning signs" for months that "the big collapse" was right around the corner. We'll make it, going to have to be creative, but we'll make it.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
Consider this... I was in Italy for a short time back in '02 and the gas prices over there were about 2 dollars a liter. 2.2 liters in a gallon = approx. $4.25 per gallon. That was in '02!!!! Why do you think they all ride scooters and motorcycles?

Americans bitch about rising gas prices and things because we are so used to living so comfortably, like we are some kind of exception from the rest of the world. Fact of the matter is that we are headed towards Third World Country status very quickly...just a matter of time. The next administration will be the determining factor. Make sure to vote!

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:43 PM
link   
reply to post by StarChild

Believe me, if we become third world (unlikely) third world will become FIFTH.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
Very true indeed. It will happen eventually. Nothing lasts forever. Prime example...the Roman Empire.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:54 PM
link   
reply to post by StarChild

I'm not all that comfortable right now, so I hope I'm just paranoid. I feel a BIG depression coming on, and frankly it scares the cr-p out of me!

I know how I stand morally on issues like murder, robbery, looting, etc., It's my fellow neighbors I worry about. I don't advocate violence, but I will protect myself and my family by whatever means necessary. So much for having high ideals..

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:55 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I guess if the fit really hits the shan you could try holing up in the wilderness for a while.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I think the first step to decreasing your paranoia would be to get the heck out of Racoon city. Not the best place to get some paranoia free thinking done.

Anyhow... I'd say the chances of us heading for a societal breakdown or a mild dip are 50/50. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

posted on Mar, 16 2008 @ 11:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Osiris1953

Yeah, and if a collapse is happening the timing's pretty good. No time like the spring or summer for the great outdoors!

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by chromatico

I don't think there will be much choice. Unfortunately I know thousands of others will have the same idea.

I'm basically a loner and have as little contact with others as possible. I grew up in a very large city, and I've had just about all the humanity and inhumanity I could stand for one lifetime. I starting become a person I didn't know or like very much. Thankfully my family moved away before it became an ingrained mindset.

Living in such a situation again will literally be Hell on Earth for me. I cringe at the thought of what kind of person I'll have to become just to be left alone.

[edit on 3/17/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 12:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Osiris1953
Anyhow... I'd say the chances of us heading for a societal breakdown or a mild dip are 50/50. That's my opinion and I'm sticking to it.

You may be right, but by my calculations... That we fall into the pit of fascist control through economic and ideologic crushing (including the depression and its aftermath (martial law?)) to be about 87%. That we develop free energy for ourselves, abundance therefore flowing forth gets the other 13%.

Yep. That's where I'd put it.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:05 AM
link   
Seems like the bottom is always about to drop out, ya know?
I guess it is all how you look at things, glass half full/glass half empty dynamic.
It is time for this country and it's people to get a clear reality check, the scales need to be balanced, priorities need some deep thought and many need a good swift kick in the rear.
I have a family, I am scared but I am more fearful for my children's futures if we do not wake up and take back our freedoms, our rights, our country.
Since American's only seem to react when their wallets run dry maybe in the end the bottom falling out is exactly what we need.
Just my glass half full spin...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 09:15 AM
link   
I think you're right. America definitely needs a wake up call. We've become complacent like sheep, and only take notice of events when they effect us personally. It's the "better you than me" attitude I'm seeing more and more.

It's okay if they violate your civil rights, it's okay if you end up homeless, it's okay if you can't feed your family, etc., but when it's their turn in the barrel though, they'll expect everyone to rush to their aid..

It reminds me of of a poem by Martin Niemoller regarding the rise of the Nazis to power in Germany:

"In Germany, they came first for the Communists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Communist;

And then they came for the trade unionists, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a trade unionist;

And then they came for the Jews, And I didn’t speak up because I wasn’t a Jew;

And then . . . they came for me . . . And by that time there was no one left to speak up."

[edit on 3/17/08 by LLoyd45]

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:13 PM
link   
we are in the end times as prophesy has stated. we are on the road to the apokolypse and the battle of armageddon. the american economy will soon collaspe.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by rogues gallery

Buzz off. You are not meaningfully contributing.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:30 PM
link   
I think the Derivative Bubble is big enough to cause a global economic negative feedback loop. But it doesn't have to happen.

If ever they wanted something to bring about an 'end game' scenario, this would do it. We'll just have to wait and see how it's handled.

Fear isn't going to help anything though. Just look at everything as objectively as possible and plan as best as possible.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:33 PM
link   
The bottom has already dropped out. We just haven't hit the ground yet.

I assure you, we are in total freefall.

Welcome to the New World Order.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 02:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Wilsonfrisk

Well, I hope it's a lot more orderly than the last one was then.

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Yes, it will be orderly, as long as you don't ask questions and move along to the facilities the government has designed to keep you safe...

www.prisonplanet.com...

posted on Mar, 17 2008 @ 05:04 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

You are not being paranoid. The "bottom dropped out" about 10 years ago and they've been holding it together with bandaids, gum, and little dobs of superglue.

The good new is it holds together until the end of the world. The bad news it that's only a couple years away.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join