It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

American patriotism.

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by jcavs88

Maybe you can convice some of the millions of homeless people that live in cardboard boxes all over our country just how good they've been treated. You're right about the illegals though. They are for some reason entitled to monies and benefits that they nor their forebearers ever paid for. It's sad when Real Americans are treated worse than criminals who enter the country illegally.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Lokey13

Sorry? The US has gone through hard times for other countries? Did you actually mean that? It's not difficult for the US to give a small percentage of its GDP to other countries, and it's not difficult for it to send a few thousand soldiers, either. It pales into insignificance compared to the suffering the countries the US "helped" went through. And if you mean "help" as in "meddle with democratically-elected governments and premieres", then yes - it sure has helped a great deal.

The US's start had great promise. What the world has ended up with is a sham of a country that can wave a piece of paper in front of its people and say "look! USA is great! you're so free!" and most Americans (the flags-on-their-porches crowd) will go "Oh yeah! See? The constitution!" and think nothing else. Most other countries don't seem to have that civil panacea. That looks a wee bit dangerous to most folks.

The world got conned with the US. It looks great on paper (in a historical setting), but the modern-day result has its great parts, and its severely-screwed-up, dangerous-to-the-rest-of-the-world parts.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:23 PM
link   
reply to post by aravoth

Great post Aravoth a part of America I didn't touch on in my post above yours. I have no problem with the immagrant population but it is getting extremely ridiculous. No other country in the world has this sort of acceptance on other nationalities and we are given so much # about how we treat the immagrant population; what bs. Again great post, starred it if you get a chance read mine; and Frank do a little more research before you put out a post like this by tonight they'll be 100 replies.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hinky

Originally posted by hinky
What makes the USA the greatest country in the world is something you stated but didn't realize it.

I can do the same thing in my country. Just as people in tons of other countries can.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

I agree. I don't think we should get involved (other than trade) with any other nation. We should never give other nations food, water, or money, no matter how stricken they are. We should pull out of the UN, NATO, and withdraw our forces from every overseas base. We should never get involved in other regional conflicts. And if the US gets attacked, we shouldn't send one soldier out to fight, we should just nuke their entire society out of existence.

ok the last sentence I was being sarcastic......kinda, but the rest of it I truly believe in.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by dave420

Dave I'd like to know what country your from as well, if your gonna try to make me feel sorry by saying "the suffering of other countries" your sadly mistaken. The United States didn't have to do anything that we've done for other countries, and that we did is patriotic in itself. The fact that you stated about America medling with their governments is histerical in itself; America since it's "historical" start has tryed to change face with every country it's come in contact with, so its funny you state it likes it "new" news. I think America should try to chnage the ideas of every countries goverment, at the moment democracy is the best system there is; you know of a better one let me know. Also "historicly" America has helped many countries through times of absolute genocide which weighed against any American made death toll is insignificant to say the least. If you are an American you should be ashamed, if your British then your not even worth another response. I'd say you'd be a rival but seems every time you try to opinionize one of my posts, 10 other people opinionize yours we'll see if that holds the same here.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Maybe you can convince some of the homeless to get a job, try doing it right. You can lead a horse to water but can’t make him drink it. I am sorry that immigrants that come here and go though the right way and work there asses off live better then the homeless.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Lokey13

Wait, so you're saying the US should meddle in other countries' governments because the US way is best? Jesus H. Christ. It's logic like that that smacked jets into the WTC and Pentagon. You only change other countries when they ask you to, not when it suits the US. The US has overthrown democratically-elected governments, installing dictators. If you're proud of that, then so be it. I know it's old news to most, but you'd be surprised how many Americans I've talked to who don't know that stuff. That the "land of the free and home of the brave" attacked unarmed civilians with jets to install a dictator. Not brave, and certainly not giving two hoots about being free.

When the US entered WWII, it had to, as it was being attacked. After Korea, whenever the US entered a conflict, it certainly wasn't for the benefit of the people it claimed to be fighting for. But please enlighten me
The "suffering" the US endured during those conflicts was about as light as suffering can get. Talk to anyone from Europe with memory of WWII and see what real suffering is. I don't remember New York getting levelled by bombers, or super-sonic rockets crashing on Washington DC. National debt increasing 0.000001% does not make "suffering".

BTW, this discussion is about the US, not where I'm from. If you want to turn it into a "well at least we didn't do etc." discussion, then we've stopped discussing the US.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:53 PM
link   
www.libraryspot.com...

just a small list I can get a more detailed piece.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Lokey13 I think America should try to chnage the ideas of every countries goverment,

Through the use of economic hitmen? Because that's what they've been doing all the time.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:05 PM
link   
Just wanted to ask, if america is not the greatest country in the world what is?

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:08 PM
link   
reply to post by jcavs88

Do you truly believe they all chose to live in cardboard boxes because they're lazy and unmotivated? Half our population is only two paychecks away from being in the same predicament. There are homeless people in cities like New York that work 40+ hours a week and still cannot afford a place to live. Let yourself become homeless then tell me how easy it is to get back on your feet. Try and find a good paying job without a phone or a permanent address. It's practically impossible.

If you were lucky enough to find a job, do you think you could raise a first month and last month deposit for an apartment on your minimum wage salary? There's also those pesky utility deposits to think about as well.

It's always easier to blame the victim than to admit the system doesn't work.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:09 PM
link   
reply to post by jcavs88

How about there isn't any. How about we cut the need for a competition on the greatest country. If your mind and will are strong and disciplined enough and you don't or hardly have any limiting beliefs. Then you should be able to live a good life anywhere you like. It does not depend on the country you live in. That's giving your own personal power away.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:15 PM
link   
reply to post by jcavs88

America is my home and I Love it, but to say it is perfect would be deluding myself.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

I have know people that work their asses off and make it, there is always help out there. People need to stop being lazy and stop making excuses up for being homeless. Your choices in life make you who you are, not luck not bad luck only you. If you are working 40 hours a week and still homeless then you are working at the wrong job, or trying to get apartment that’s way to expensive. That is not Americas fault, only yours. I guess its better then living in Resident Evils Raccoon City.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:23 PM
link   
At one time there were about half of us Americans that were supporting the neocons. Now it is about 25%. These are the patiotic ones, using patriotism to mask evil deeds. Telling them that thinking is patriotic does no good because they have an intelligence to low to comprehend.
I apologize to the world for letting them have power. I was apathetic.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by LLoyd45

Where are the million cardboard box homes? I bet you can't find 5,000. I think you might have overestimated our poverty.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:31 PM
link   
reply to post by jcavs88

Originally posted by jcavs88
If you are working 40 hours a week and still homeless then you are working at the wrong job, or trying to get apartment that’s way to expensive. That is not Americas fault, only yours.

Nope, then you just haven't read A Happy Pocket Full of Money

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:38 PM
link   
reply to post by TheBandit795

Well this thread is about america and not homeless, lets not get off the subject, so i am not going to read the book right now, but I still believe in the person, not the country why people are poor or homeless, but thanks for the link.

posted on Mar, 10 2008 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by earthman4

You could find thousands in just about any large sized city if you really took the time to look for them. The problem is that to most people they're invisible. They're not worthy of their recognition or compassion. Obviously they have chose the glamorous life of cardboard box living, soup kitchens, poor medical car, and abject poverty.

A lot of these people are former mental patients dumped out of state hospitals in the 90's where they had lived for decades. I worked for such a place, so I'm not talking out of my hat. They've learned to be inconspicuous and avoid detection due to harrassment by police, violent attacks by innercity gangs, and the visible contempt displayed towards them by Joe Average on the street.

When's the last time you had a chat with one of these people and listened to their side of the dilemna? My guess would be never, because they look and act differently than the people you normally interact with. Spend a week on the streets as a homeless person (no credit cards, no cash, no cell phone), then tell me what you think of the situation. Apply for a job without the benefit of clean clothes, a permanent address or a phone number where you can be reached at. See how quickly you get hired.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join