It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The anti-smoking conspiracy.

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:29 PM
link   
We all know that cigarette smoking is bad for us right? We know that cigarette smoking will lead to lung cancer, oxygen tanks and a painful death. We also know that being around those filthy smokers will lead to healthy non-smokers developing lung cancer if they're within proximity of the second hand smoke.

Which, of course, means that as a public health measure, it's only right that we ban smoking in any establishment. If we do not, we'll start dropping off like flies.

Well, if you couldn't tell by now, I think it's all a big pile of garbage.

www.joebobbriggs.com...

Some counterpoints to the whole second hand smoke ban.

People might not like smoke. They might find it unpleasant. But it's a huge jump to say it's actually harming their bodies, as though they were coal miners, soon to be diagnosed with Black Lung Disease. In fact, we have two studies that measured Environmental Tobacco Smoke--the scientific name for it--and came to the conclusion that, first of all, the smoke inhaled from the air is chemically and physically different from the smoke inhaled from the end of the cigarette, and, secondly, people who work eight hours a day in heavy-smoking environments had the following CE's (Cigarette Equivalents):

Sydney: 0.2

Prague: 1.4

Barcelona: 4.3

That's cigarettes per year. The worst case they could find had the bartender adding to his cancer risk at the rate of 4.3 cigarettes per year, which is, of course, like saying somebody who eats six Lifesavers is a candidate for heart disease.

Even more to the point, scientists computed what would happen if a 20-by-20-foot room with a nine-foot ceiling were filled with smoke, and then compared that exposure to the EPA's lowest published "danger" doses. Here are the results:

For the lowest level of danger for benzopyrene, you would need to have 222,000 cigarettes burning in the room.

For the lowest level of acetone, you would need to burn 118,000 cigarettes.

For the lowest level of hydrazine, you would need 14,000 cigarettes.

And for toluene, you would need a cool million smokes, all burning at the same time.

Unless, of course, you opened the door or window--then you would need more.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:32 PM
link   
You've refuted the dangers of second hand smoke, sweet, but for us smokers prove first hand isn't dangerous and I will be your slave.

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 08:41 PM
link   
What really irks me about anti-smokers is the fact that a car produces more carcinogens then my cigarettes, heck if it is a diesel it produces even more! All I see are a bunch of people who do not like the smell of cigarettes, so they fight hard to get them removed.

Case in point, I was smoking a pipe filled with vanilla tobacco when an anti-smoker says, "That smells real good! I wish all smokers would smoke that!" then proceeds to take a big sniff.

I am pushing for an anti-perfume law, talk about nasty smells!

posted on Mar, 3 2008 @ 10:02 PM
link   
Everything causes cancer now adays.

I'm on the verge of quitting ciggarettes, I smoke maybe 1-3 a day. No lie.

It's purely the physical stress that keeps me injecting that poison.

But, it's not to say that used rationally it will cause cancer.
And there is no proof that just because someone was around 2nd hand smoke they died from lung cancer, and if there is I'd surely like to be appointed too THIS SOURCE and make SURE that it appoints too the history background of that family, prior health problems in that family, etc etc.

It's impossible too say that 2nd hand smoke will kill you, we inhale much more harmful carbon dioxide in higher purities than from a freaking ciggarette.

Also, if ciggarettes are the ultimate cancer agent, which they are, why is it that some people can smoke and take shots of whiskey and live until age 90?

Why is the french smoke and have longer lifespans than us?

There is no direct link too ciggarette smoking and mind control.
There is a link too ciggarette smoking and cancer.
There is no link too 2nd hand smoking causing ciggarette cancer, and if there is I want a FULL background check of that family tree, prior health problems, etc.

Peace.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:46 PM
link   
At the end of the day, if you're going to get cancer, you're going to get it. Simple as that.. It's either in your genes, or it isn't. Smoking speeds the process up, that's it, it doesn't give it to you..

Meh, it's certainly a bad habit, but all this second-hand smoke rubbish is so annoying! You get such dirty looks in the streets from people here in the UK, if you're smoking.. If I was them, i'd be more worried about breathing in the car exhausts they're walking past!

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 07:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by Alesanjin
Meh, it's certainly a bad habit, but all this second-hand smoke rubbish is so annoying! You get such dirty looks in the streets from people here in the UK, if you're smoking.. If I was them, i'd be more worried about breathing in the car exhausts they're walking past!

EXACTLY.

Has anyone actually taken the time to smell the air after you start your car?

It's HORRID and PLAGUED with 39429349x the amount of Carbon Dioxide than 2nd hand smoke.

Unless you are directly inhaling carbon dioxide, and it's combusting in your lungs, you can't say that 2nd hand smoke causes lung cancer, otherwise we'd all have emphysema and all that great stuff.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:00 PM
link   
i really dont care anymore with consequences of smoke like i did when i was litlle , we live in a urban enviroment that just damage our health in all kinds of ways , but damn i cant take the smell of cigars its just so unnerving to have someone smoking near me the smell disgusts me

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by dracodie
i really dont care anymore with consequences of smoke like i did when i was litlle , we live in a urban enviroment that just damage our health in all kinds of ways , but damn i cant take the smell of cigars its just so unnerving to have someone smoking near me the smell disgusts me

Yeah I'm one of those damned smokers.

For now anyways.

But really, I hate the smell of exhaust.

Do you?

xD

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:10 PM
link   
lol , i can say that i like it , its like when i am in a gas station i love the smell of gasoline

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:23 PM
link   
The anti-smoking conspiracy started with Adolph Hitler and the Nazi's.

www.davehitt.com...

And when it comes to those carrying out the current war on smokers, no other group matches their tactics, approaches and arguments as well as the Nazis. It’s a damn near perfect fit.

The anti-smokers, of course, bristle at the comparison, quickly pointing out that they are not rounding up smokers and sending them to death camps. Hitler never did that to smokers either. He simply vilified them, taxed them, lied about them, restricted advertising of tobacco, and forbade smoking in public places. Comparing Hitler’s treatment of those he murdered to smokers would be absurd. Comparing Hitler’s treatment of smokers to the behavior of today's anti-smokers is a perfect apples to apples comparison.

Today’s tobacco nannies demand that no one ever smoke in any room they might enter someday. They claim hurricane force winds are necessary to clear smoke from a room. Adolph forbade anyone smoking in any room he might ever enter.

California is trying to raise the legal age to purchase tobacco to 21. Hitler raised the age to 25.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:27 PM
link   
To my understanding it is not the carbon dioxide that causes or adds to the likelihood of one getting cancer (though I could be wrong). I was under the impression that it was the other chemicals (how many are there again?) in the smoke that caused it.

I stopped smoking over two years ago now. Actually I feel pretty good no more of this not being able to breathe sort of thing. I personally don’t care if you chose to smoke or not or where you chose to do so. I can honestly say that I think the stuff smells horrible and can’t stand spending much time around those who are smoking.

My life insurance costs went down after I stopped smoking so along with not spending the increasingly rising costs on cigarettes I am saving money and finding better ways to spend it. I am not sure how much of a conspiracy there is against it considering tobacco companies are in good with many politicians. I personally think it is a ploy to make it seem even more anti-social so as to attract more customers in the form of rebellious teens and youth.

As for the article linked in the OP I cannot say much about it or the author. But I know that if I look long enough I can find anything out there that will back up my opinion on something, it is just a matter of where I look.

Raist

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by RRconservative

Now we gotta go offtopic.

How is it a 18 year old can go to war and DIE for their country

but they can't drink?

And if they raised the age for smoking in Cali to 21,

Anarchy would start. And the merchants wouldn't listen to it either, because that would kill a good 30% of their income.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 08:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by SomeGuy34
reply to post by RRconservative

Now we gotta go offtopic.

How is it a 18 year old can go to war and DIE for their country

but they can't drink?

And if they raised the age for smoking in Cali to 21,

Anarchy would start. And the merchants wouldn't listen to it either, because that would kill a good 30% of their income.

Dude, I think we are on the same side here.

I was comparing the tactics of todays anti-smoking Nazi's to the orginal Hitler led Nazi's.

Here is another good article.

www.bmj.com...

Historians and epidemiologists have only recently begun to explore the Nazi anti-tobacco movement. Germany had the world's strongest antismoking movement in the 1930s and early 1940s, encompassing bans on smoking in public spaces, bans on advertising, restrictions on tobacco rations for women, and the world's most refined tobacco epidemiology, linking tobacco use with the already evident epidemic of lung cancer. The anti-tobacco campaign must be understood against the backdrop of the Nazi quest for racial and bodily purity, which also motivated many other public health efforts of the era.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Didn't Obama admit to smoking? who gives a S*hit...The world is going to end 2012 anyway...or at least that is what my dad and I joke about...

I THINK WHAT NON SMOKERS SAID WAS ENOUGH. WE HAVE NOTICED A CHANCE IN TH3E ATMOSPHERE AND WE ARE BEGINING THE RECIEVE OUR EFFORTS

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 10:30 PM
link   
Didn't Obama admit to smoking? who gives a **SNIP**...The world is going to end 2012 anyway...or at least that is what my dad and I joke about...

I THINK WHAT NON SMOKERS SAID WAS ENOUGH. WE HAVE NOTICED A CHANCE IN TH3E ATMOSPHERE AND WE ARE BEGINING THE RECIEVE OUR EFFORTS

Mod Edit: Profanity/Circumvention Of Censors – Please Review This Link.

[edit on 21-3-2008 by Crakeur]

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:04 PM
link   
sorry for the repeat, deal with

it.

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Honestly, the only person I've ever heard of dying of 2nd hand smoke was on one of those TRUTH commercials.--more than mildly annoying i might add--

What's with these new laws (in CA anyway)

Proposed Bill Could Ban Smoking in Rental Apartments

Got kids in the car? NO MORE SMOKING!

Why pass laws you cant effectively enforce?

But I've had this debate with people before, back when i smoked, and even now that I dont I firmly believe that 2nd hand smoke is a crock. It's like saying someone died from pot smoke. where's the proof?

I'd almost be money that the tobacco corporation puts those TRUTH ads on tv..even bad publicity is publicity right?

posted on Mar, 4 2008 @ 11:46 PM
link   
All my smokers buds at work have been calling me a quitter this week because I'm ditching them to regain my health. Say what you want, but smoking is very damaging and gross.

And I know I will smoke again, I like it too much, but I really have to monitor it because I have a mental addiction. And I RARELY say the word addiction- like the girl in that Black Crows song.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 12:00 AM
link   
Cancer or not, some smokers don't realize how bad they smell

No joke, even the daintiest female college students who smoke can smell like a smokey urinal. Really, it's a turn off.

I've never smoked in my life so I can't vouch for how good it makes smokers feel.

Maybe I will get cancer, but until I do, I won't be spending $20-40 a week on something that makes me smell like a hobo.

If you're a smoker and feel discriminated against, so you should. There's no sugarcoating that. If you feel that anti-smoking campaigns are work of the NWO or load of crap, that's your right if it inflates your ego about smoking and gives you a false sense of security.

posted on Mar, 5 2008 @ 07:58 AM
link   
I like to smoke indoors. I don't care for the rules much and I do pay for my ambivalence in many ways.

I'm Ontario, we can't smoke at work, or anywhere. So I do.

I smoke everywhere, in the mall, at the store and there isn't a goddamn thing anyone is gonna do about it.
The store could call the cops, or refuse service to me (which is why I recommend smoking after purchasing), but that would cost time and money.

The cops hate being called out for "cigarette smoking" and will likely think it some sort of prank is going on... if they show at all.

Continue to smoke, anywhere you want. You will not be legally punished.
The police know it takes five minutes to smoke a cigarette and twenty for them to dispatch. The illogic makes for an unwillingness to waste time or tax dollars.

Smoke or don't smoke, just know that there ain't a goddamn thing anyone can do about stopping you unless you let them.
The signs can't physically stop you from smoking, if anyone tries to stop you it is assault, if they take your cigarette, it is theft, and if you are forced outside to light up... it is moral cowardice.

That being said, smoking around people eating/food prep is disrespectful, as is lighting up in a confined space with someone who does not like it. Don't litter your butts either. Don't smoke at work if you think you'll get fired.

But do not let them force you outside, force them to call the police, at which point the burden of proof is on them.

The informant will not be able to prove when you were smoking, only that you smoke. The police will be angry at the time wasted. They won't be angry at you, because you didn't waste their time. Chances are you will either be done your smoke long before they arrive, or simply gone somewhere else.

I prefer smoking in malls on the way out, or in wall-marts. Bus shelters too.

Smoking laws are a means of control, as well as a way of finding out who is willing to inform on their fellow citizens. Such people will be relied upon when the time comes to help give the government info on other aspects of your lives.

I say take your life in our own hands and light up a smoke... wherever you want to. No one can stop you. You are a Citizen of The Republic.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join