It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

"Major tidal surge" headed for UK East Coast

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   

"Major tidal surge" headed for UK East Coast

news.sky.com

A "major tidal surge" that could lead to disastrous flooding is threatening to hit the east coast over the next 48 hours.
A flood expert has told Sky News unless swift action is taken "we could have a significant number of deaths".

The Environment Secretary Hilary Benn told the House of Commons a surge "of up to three metres is making its way down the North Sea".

The Chief Executive of the Environment Agency, Baroness Young, told Sky News: "A surge wave is expected between 7 and 8 o'clock tomorrow morning, with Great Yarmouth and Lowestoft likely to be the worst hit."

Six severe flood warnings have been announced across East Anglia, the Norfolk Broads and the coast south of Great Yarmouth, along with six further flood warnings of lesser severity and two flood watches in the region.

Prime Minister Gordon Brown has chaired a meeting this evening of the Government's Cobra emergency response committee.
(visit the link for the full news article)

[edit on 8-11-2007 by dodgygeeza]

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:38 PM
link   
This is worrying news to say the least

news.sky.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

edit: most vulnerable people are being evacuated - including elderly etc.

Police are urging the public not to panic.

8 Severe flood warnings now.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Thanks for the info, it sounds quite serious if the Government have taken the steps to convene a COBRA meeting.

I'll have to scour the net and see if I can find anything more on this as my dear old Ma is close to the East coast - just outside Kings Lynn. Hoping that the Wash helps to dissipate any surge if it reaches that part of the coast.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
reply to post by dodgygeeza

They will probably try to attribute this to global warming. They will tell you that a UN carbon tax would have prevented it. Just remember that it last happened in 1953. That was BEFORE they warned of the coming ICE AGE of the 1970s.

Batten Down the Hatches in the UK, head for the high ground. We're all hoping for the best, good luck.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:46 PM
link   
Jeez, i'm glad i'm on the west coast! Everyone on the east coast get ready to leave pretty sharpish i reckon.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Britguy
Thanks for the info, it sounds quite serious if the Government have taken the steps to convene a COBRA meeting.

I'll have to scour the net and see if I can find anything more on this as my dear old Ma is close to the East coast - just outside Kings Lynn. Hoping that the Wash helps to dissipate any surge if it reaches that part of the coast.

My grandparents live in Dover but I haven't heard any warnings for that area.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:48 PM
link   
are these types of tidal surges a common occurence on your side of the pond? What is causing the surge? Is it a storm or just abnormally high tides? oh and forgive for not knowing metric, but how high is 3 meters in feet?

hope everyone in the coastal areas are heeding the warnings.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by logicize
reply to post by dodgygeeza

They will probably try to attribute this to global warming. They will tell you that a UN carbon tax would have prevented it. Just remember that it last happened in 1953. That was BEFORE they warned of the coming ICE AGE of the 1970s.

Batten Down the Hatches in the UK, head for the high ground. We're all hoping for the best, good luck.

Thats exactly what I'm thinking. This will be attributed to global warming as usual and taxes will increase no doubt. Global warming fanatics will have a field day.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by worldwatcher
are these types of tidal surges a common occurence on your side of the pond? What is causing the surge? Is it a storm or just abnormally high tides? oh and forgive for not knowing metric, but how high is 3 meters in feet?

Don't know much about over there, but 3 meters is just over 9 feet. About 39 inches to 1 meter.

Good luck across the pond and don't get to wet.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:51 PM
link   
3 meters is just under 10ft...

It is a combination of high winds, a high tide and a large storm causing immense low pressure over the sea. They are not common so to speak although we have had this once before and it killed over 300 people so it’s quite serious.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:52 PM
link   

I would say around 10 feet.

Anyway I hope it isn't going to be bad. Be safe everyone.

link   

oh and forgive for not knowing metric, but how high is 3 meters in feet?

3 meters is about 9 feet. Oh, did you know you can do all these conversions via Google? You just type in the search box '3 meters in feet' minus the quotation. It's really wonderful. You can even type '3 malaysian ringgit in us dollars' to get currency conversions.

link   

The last tidal surge we had was in 1953.

3 metres is about 10ft.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:53 PM
link   
Maybe it is just a marketing campaign for this new cinema movie (FLOOD):

www.channel4.com...

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:55 PM
link   

Originally posted by Terrapop
Maybe it is just a marketing campaign for this new cinema movie (FLOOD):

www.channel4.com...

Lol, I doubt people would see the funny side of it though.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 02:57 PM
link   
9-10 feet tidal surge is nothing small. I hope you guys have learned from the past and you don't have another repeat of the last similiar disaster..300 dead you said right. wow..

stay safe

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:00 PM
link   
reply to post by worldwatcher

A combination of gale force winds off the coast of Scotland and high tides are expected to cause floods which could breach sea defences.

Daily Mail

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I have friends that are visiting some people near Liverpool. Forgive my lack of geographic knowledge, but are they in danger?

Good luck out there guys.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by InSpiteOf

Your friends will be fine, Liverpool is on the North West coast.

posted on Nov, 8 2007 @ 03:14 PM
link   
According to Meteoalarm, Holland is at highest risk at the moment. Code red.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join