It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Reno Veteran Cuts Down American Flag

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 11 2008 @ 12:26 AM
link   
As a rule, I remind people that they were programmed as small childen to become emotionally involved about their nation's flag and national anthem. They teach reverence and loyalty to both from little-school onwards .. as a way of programming adult-children to take up arms and dash to defend that piece of cloth/national anthem .. to die if it comes to that. This has been going on since the beginnings of time and it's the same to large degree with religion.

So I'm coming at this thread with that in mind.

Nevertheless, I agree in this instance with those who support the American and who also believe that if a country is providing you with a home and the essentials of life, then you should show appreciation for all that by respecting the symbol (flag in this instance) of the nation in which you now live.

Was the Mexican being deliberately provocative? Or was he simply ignorant ?

Was he advertising the chip on his shoulder regarding a belief that Mexico 'owned' that portion of the USA ?

Was he stating, symbolically, that Mexico was 're-taking' the USA ?

Was he symbolically tossing the 'finger' at US citizens and the USA in general ?

Whatever the case, the American called him out.

Will the Mexican replace the US flag in 'inferior' position ?

Will he take the hint and will other Mexicans of like mind also get the message ?

Was it all staged in order the media could stoke the flames ?

Are the posts here decrying the American genuine posts, or yet another attempt to ' create and shape' opinion with the supposed 'dumb sheepies' the target ?

Sure, when you're three or five years old and instructed to stand to attention and salute your nation's flag -- you're being programmed. At that point, in most instances, that flag IS just a piece of cloth. All you see at that point is that it has pretty colours and patterns on it.

But by the time you're a few years older, it's no longer 'just a piece of cloth'. You recognise it as symbolising 'your' nation. By then you've been taught the history behind that piece of cloth. It has become meaningful to you, unless you live in the mountains and have had no contact with others.

You're programmed to respect and to protect 'your' flag (which symbolises your nation, your people, those you love, those with whom you've been taught you 'belong' .. known to you as the 'good and right side').

You've been taught to defend your flag against 'outside threat'.

If you believe you have reason to regard Mexico and Mexicans as an 'outside threat', then naturally, of course, you will defend your flag against Mexicans with a CLEAR CONSCIENCE.

Obviously the American DID feel 'his' flag was being threated and 'disrespected' by a Mexican/Mexico generally.

In different circumstances, his actions would be regarded as 'heroic'.

For example, if he were a soldier in Iraq or Afghanistan and an Iraqi/Afghani had been seen to disrespect the US flag, then he would be commended for defending that flag -- with his life if need be.

I question all those who state 'it's just a piece of cloth'.

It is NOT 'just a piece of cloth' at all. You KNOW that. Who do you imagine you're fooling ?

Is there an agenda at foot with the intention of creating schizophrenia within US citizens I wonder ? After all, those whom the gods would destroy, they first send mad.

Is that the agenda .. to send Americans crazy ?

Seems so. Their children are instructed to salute and respect the US flag and defend it --- at the same time the parents, in this forum, are being informed that flag 'is just a piece of cloth' !

Note to those with the agenda: you programmed Americans as children to be proud of, to respect and defend, the American flag. You did so in order to provide yourselves cannon-fodder for all those wars for profit you launched and continued to launch while you sat on your bums counting the money and ignoring the death-tally. Be very careful. Once programmed, people are not so easily deprogrammed. And they may turn on you.

God, I hope so.

posted on Nov, 13 2008 @ 02:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dock6
As a rule, I remind people that they were programmed as small childen to become emotionally involved about their nation's flag and national anthem.

I'm not so sure about this. I think in recent years, in the Western world, this is a peculiarly American thing. You might get the odd person elsewhere in other countries - there's always exceptions to the rules - but it's not the issue elsewhere that it is in America.

I've made this comment a few times in threads pertaining to 'American patriotism'. Just as a sample, compare the comments coming from British posters on this thread to the bulk of the American posters or people born elsewhere but are living in America.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:01 PM
link   
reply to post by Redge777

he does NOT have a right to fly the flag however he wants. It is ILLEGAL to fly the flag inappropriately you degenerate ingrate.

posted on Nov, 19 2008 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Seems more like a ruse to instil conformity to me , if you show signs of any kinds of individuality away from an accepted norm of what is currently fashionable for your society , the flag is there as a cheap and easy way to 'remind' you to tow the line .

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join