It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pakistan 'set for emergency rule'

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 05:37 PM
link   
Fair play Terrapop, I think you may have point there! Martial law has effectivley locked it all down for now.

More likely that the insurgents are becoming too powerfull and now is the time to put them down and stabilize the nation.

This has been on the cards since the failed Bhutto assaniation attempt.

As for real democracy, they havent had that for a long time.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 05:45 PM
link   
It's probably a practice run to see how it'd do here.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by ChrisJr03
It's probably a practice run to see how it'd do here.

don't say that!

It amazes me how Pakistan is hardly mention in today's "Attack Iran" news craze. They have nukes and the US doesn't police that? Where are the intelligence agencies? Sitting back having coffee in Sadam's old palaces?

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 06:43 PM
link   
This is a preview to what will befall America.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:00 PM
link   

ISLAMABAD: President Gen. Pervez Musharraf has said that the prime minister, senate, assemblies, governors and chief ministers would continue to work despite imposition of emergency in the country.

jang.com.pk

Everything is active except for the supreme court and its judges since they were the ones who were to decide whether Musharraf's win was legitimate. They were supposed to have a decision ready by the end of October but delayed it until Nov. 17 because they were not able to reach the solution that his win was legal and the clever power hungry Musharraf figured out that they were gonna oppose his win and hence the state of emergencey. There is violence in Pakistan but that is not the reason for this as stated in the temporary constitution.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:03 PM
link   
seeing as that your thread has beat mine, and seeing that emergency rule is now in fact in place, I think it would be great to change your headline to "Pakistan in emergency rule" to reflect the seriousness of this situation. Also if you could edit the first post to reflect the current state of emergency rule, that would be great.

A very, very serious and worrisome development, I've flagged this.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:34 PM
link   
I did a little research and discovered some good news to this story. Pakistan has nukes. So, at least there will be some stability while in transition from emergency rule...

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:40 PM
link   
Wow.

I knew this was coming, but it is a thousand times more distressing to actually see it happen.

Pakistan should be disarmed. The fact that they have nuclear weapons in such an unstable society should scare anyone who's paying attention.

Our government needs to call for Pakistan to turn over its nukes and dismantle its nuclear program before Musharraf is assasinated and the jihadi revolutionaries get a hold of them.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 07:54 PM
link   
This article provides more information about the new rules the Pak media is required to follow.

No material:

* That may aid terrorist activities
* That jeopardises integrity of Pakistan
* That defames the administration
* That is deemed vulgar or obscene
* That promotes ethnicism
* That defames army
* No broadcast of video footage of militants
* No programmes that incite violence
* No live coverage of incidents of violence

[edit on 11/3/07 by makeitso]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 08:32 PM
link   
Its a little like the old playground game of "jacks". Lets just hope that by the time the ball bounces and is caught again, not too many nukes have been picked up (or "mysteriously" disappeared).

Coups and uprisings are a surprisingly effective method of moving around arms. Especially effective if they are staged. Misdirection at its finest.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 09:44 PM
link   
It would seem as though the administration of Pakistan is using the recent terrorist attack there to consolidate power. I'd hate to see Pakistan turn into even more of a military state, and U.S. military intervention into the country would be devastating, but i think we happen to like India a bit more, who I am certain is helping to foster the political instability in Pakistan, if only in an indirect manner.

There definitely is a large number of "islamo-fascists" that would like to get their hands on some nukes, or even some of them big conventional missles Pakistan has in their arsenal, and I am sure we'll be seeing a larger U.S. operation within Pakistan to hunt these radicals down before they can seize such weapons.

Seems to me there is only two options, Pakistan consolidates its power and becomes a brutal regime that limits the freedoms of it's people, or it descends into a sectarian war that could go nuclear and further destablize the entire middle eastern region.

The Global War on Terrorism sure leaves alot to be desired...

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:00 PM
link   
Well I am not sold on the idea that we have a nuclear potential in Pakistan at present. Pakistan is just begining to feel the freedom of the money we have been giving them towards developing a democracy.

www.buyusainfo.net...

Currently, there are more than 61 firms registered with the American Business Council

Take a look at the companies, it kind of makes me sick... Yet it is an informative read.

[edit on 3-11-2007 by antar]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:43 PM
link   
Here's an article by ABC(Aus.) that saying that the US isn't going to suspend military aid to Pakistan.

abc.net.au...

I can't find any US MSM sources for that. Going to see what other Government's are saying.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 10:53 PM
link   
He's just hyping things because(as many have already figured out here) he feels that the Supreme Court will rule against his extension of rule.

Some posters were asking what India would do/should do. They should just sit tight and let things play out. And thank god for them they're doing just that.

Nobody can or should disarm Pakistan now. That proposition shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole.
Pakistan is already a failed state. The general should be 'coerced'(rather aggressively) into
seceding to democracy.Because if the fundamentalists come to power in Pakistan, god help us all(Esp India and Israel).

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 11:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by Daedalus3
Nobody can or should disarm Pakistan now. That proposition shouldn't be touched with a ten foot pole.
Pakistan is already a failed state. The general should be 'coerced'(rather aggressively) into
seceding to democracy.Because if the fundamentalists come to power in Pakistan, god help us all(Esp India and Israel).

I agree with that. I am uncertain what nuclear capabilities that Pakistan currently has in their arsenal, as far as yield and delivery systems go. Also does anyone know what their chemical and biological capabilities are?

It would seem to me if any terrorist organization wished to aquire these weapons, Pakistan would be their best bet.

I am also surprised that China and Russia have not weighed in much, if at all, on this new development.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 11:22 PM
link   
Here's the real problem. Musharraf will probably soon be overthrown by extremist elements within his own government (Taliban in uniform). Of course this will look totally unacceptable to most American politicians. Will the urge for America to intervene be overpowering at that point? Pakistan is a very large country, both in terms of geography and population...we would need a draft before an invasion could even be considered.

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 11:34 PM
link   
I think America would try another Shock and Awe type of war if islamic radicals came to power in Pakistan, but I dont think we could commit to another decade or so of war with an insurgent force throughout the cities and mountains of Pakistan. Perhaps with India's help we could ultimately crush the insurgency but only after a very long time.

Wow, Afghanistan, Iraq, possibly Iran, possibly Syria, perhaps Pakistan, Somalia, Eritrea, Lebanon

As to where we will go first, wel y moneys on Iran... the natural gas in the Caspian basin is estimated to be worth over 3 trillion dollars.

What to you guys think about Iran, is it a real possibilty that within the next year we will be at war with them? It seems they are having pretty hard time selling this war.

[edit on 3-11-2007 by soundofmurder]

posted on Nov, 3 2007 @ 11:40 PM
link   
reply to post by soundofmurder

Once again, the real question is where are you gonna get the troops? Can you depend on an army of poorly motivated conscripts to win a war like that?

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 12:14 AM
link   
Pakistan and Musharraf is shaping up to be another Saddam and Iraq only worse . At some point the US and its allies is going to have to take military action against the Islamic extremists in Pakistan if the war in Afghanistan is going to be won.

posted on Nov, 4 2007 @ 01:28 AM
link   

Originally posted by soundofmurder
I agree with that. I am uncertain what nuclear capabilities that Pakistan currently has in their arsenal, as far as yield and delivery systems go.

SOM

Here's a little article from a few weeks ago that may help answer your above question.

www.guardian.co.uk...

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join